You get supernatural powers when you sacrifice a body part

>You get supernatural powers when you sacrifice a body part.
>You can neither choose the powers you get nor which body part is sacrificed.

How popular would that be?

My interest was high with the first greentext, dropped with the second and absolutely plummeted with the question.

Nigga, "How popular would that be?" How can you answer that without fleshing out the proposition? Powers, method, options, who's giving the powers - all that shit is more immediately interesting than your question and actually vital TO answering your question.

Goddamn. I'm not even mad, I'm just disappointed. I bet you've never played a tabletop game in your life.

This.

What's the point of having a cool mechanic like that if you can't even decide what limb you lob off?

Very impopular I think
I mean, losing a body part is extremely vague
You could lose anything; how shitty would it be if you lost something extremely important but not instantly lethal and all you get in return is some shitty power
>Whoops, lost your liver
>But hey at the very least you can now read people's minds
Sure, it's a good power, but it won't save you

Why did I look at the thumbnail and thought it was a close-up of an asshole.

No that's actually fine IMO. But the powers and mechanisms should be established before you start trying to work out how popular it is.

The powers should be linked to the missing part also, I think.

If you could pick first power I'd get would be limb regeneration.

Will it be fatal or otherwise cause you to die much sooner than you otherwise would have? What sort of scale are we talking in terms of powers?

You haven't really defined the parameters, here, I guess.

I would probably still take the deal.

Sounds like a curse from a hag.

A better way to kick this off would be to talk about what powers link thematically to losing what.

Like if you lose your hand, I could imagine you get the ability to unlock doors with a touch, to exert human-equivalent telekinetic force, to shape objects by holding them, that kinda thing. You could work out a simple random gen type thing:

1 - 3: External
4 - 6: Internal

Then maybe 10 visible body parts and 10 internal ones you can lose and the resultant powers you get. I think even if you lose your heart or lungs or something you should still be alive, but maybe your overall ability to exert yourself is restricted (you're always 'average', where your heart would normally increase heartbeat significantly you just pass out).

>become irresistable
>lose dick

Well, if you could force someone into it, then lords would force slaves to become magic users and magic would be reserved for a underclass of cripples. They could possibly be indoctrinated from a young age to see their deformity as a sign of their low status, instead of their supernatural ability as evidence of being of higher status.
Those with the strongest powers would keep the others in check, but still looked down upon by the full bodied people.

This may be cool if there is an order of wizards/historians trying to find a pattern. They would search for people who have sacrificed a body part and hear their stories of how it happened. What they sacrificed, what they got, how were their lives up until that point, how they became after. All in order to figure out the rules and not be subject to the (supposed) randomness of the process.

Also, OP, you should read Monster Pulse. Not exactly what you're proposing, but might help.

Mah nigga

Honestly that sounds like garbage. Believe it or not but most of the bits in your body are important to keeping you functioning normally. And with no idea of what power you could get you're literally risking being permanently paralyzed, blind, deaf, dumb, losing entire limbs, a whole host of other disabilities, and death. For basically a roll on the super hero wiki.

How does that work? Are you presented with the offer of x power for y body part? Are either or both of those variables kept hidden from you? Is it forcibly imposed upon you? Or do you have to just start chopping bits off in hopes of finding the part with the goodies before you cripple yourself for life?

On the other hand the bloke who traded his left nipple for omnipotence got a pretty good deal.

Okay, so let's set some basic parameters:
>You won't lose anything that you can't live without
>You won't die from this process, though some things can be uncomfortable (but anything that turns into eventual death directly are out, you lose your dick and that urine is going to back up and kill you)
>You lose this part permanently, so it won't regenerate if it could naturally; it simply fails to exist on your person
>If, somehow, there's nothing left to give without dying, it doesn't work (set a hard cap)
>The process is non-gruesome; whatever you choose is just gone with no complications or gruesome scars, as if you had been born without it
>No splitting hairs, got to assume the whole organ or part of body. Small parts can be considered parts, but no getting down to finicky bones and specific pores.
>>A nipple, eye, lung, or finger? Yes.
>>A hair, part of a finger bone, or a small part of your liver? No.

>you lose your dick and that urine is going to back up and kill you
Not true as long as your urethra doesn't seal up. It can be done surgically.

The powers would have to be really good. I've never lost a body part, but I know people who have, and it is ALWAYS bugging them if not actually impairing their life.

One thing I'd definitely try to organize would be organ donations if your random choice kills you outright, with surgeons standing by to part you out if your brain disappears, or you've lost your heart and there aren't any donors available, and all of your remaining organs go to the people who lost theirs and are compatible. In addition to potentially dying and donating your organs, everyone agrees to compensate the surgeons using their resulting powers for a couple of years.

It'd be difficult to organize, and people would have to be able to wait until they were in an operating theater before rolling the dice, but I think the possibility of getting something for close to nothing if they aren't randomly killed would appeal to a lot of people.

Okay, so dick is gone but pee-hole remains.

Google translator is shit. Is it too late to correct it?

You choose the body part, but not which power. Idea was that it is completely random, but this sounds better. Inspired by the norse mythology and odin.

Through a very simple ritual, and no one knows how it actualy works.

Nevermind my previous, then- no one dies, so no parting out.

If that's the case I'd expect to see a LOT of both buildings accommodating the flood of newly disabled, and a similar massive move towards better, cheaper prosthetic limbs.

When it comes to 'selling your body', well, people already do that. How many folks joke about selling a kidney for some small material thing? We're talking supernatural powers, things that you could literally never learn to do otherwise.

How is the body part removed? Do you have to cut it off with a knife or whatever?

I sacrifice my appendix and tonsils.
If that doesn't work maybe some teeth.

Yes with a weapon

If I stab someone with a scalpel does it count as a weapon?

See above >The process is non-gruesome; whatever you choose is just gone with no complications or gruesome scars, as if you had been born without it

And with those stipulations, including , it would get a lot more popular than it was as initially proposed. Still, what powerlevels and what kind of powers are we talking about here? I don't think I'd give my right hand for the power to know where small objects I legally own are located. And being able to breathe fire or shoot electricity from your hands might look awesome and be neat party tricks, but what would it actually be good for? I could see some uses for increased physical strength or speed, but in today's world even that would in most cases be made obsolete by modern machinery. Something like teleportation could be really useful otoh, both personally and possibly on a societal level. Regenerative powers or outright immortality in the form of non-aging never seem to go out of vogue. Being able to shapeshift would be useful in a lot of ways, I'm pretty sure I'd give up a kidney for shapeshifting. For the power of shooting lasers from my eyes... eeeh, no thanks.

I donno, the lottery seems pretty popular, and that doesn't even have a guaranteed return.

It also doesn't cost you a literal arm and a leg to play.

So things like nipples would act like a "try it before you buy it" sorta deal?

>gain the power of seduction
>lose your dick

Sounds about right.

Can I still derive pleasure from getting my prostate pounded?

What about regarding artifical organs and limbs?

idk user, let's find out

Not very if its all your parts. But people would be super into Sacrificial Blood Magic if it was other not-them body parts.