Tell me about your epic dragon slaying stories, Veeky Forums

Tell me about your epic dragon slaying stories, Veeky Forums

>filename
Wait, what? Am I missing something?

comes from this green

Hahaha, that's great. Dragon BTFO

I've been playing DnD for 13 years and have never killed a Dragon. Ever

Just a couple of weeks ago I ran my first fight against a dragon in D&D. Well, kind of a dragon. Technically a dragon.

tl;dr crazy wizards got lots of different bits of living creatures to approximate a dragon, then used a dragon soul on it, the powerful spirit asserting its morphic field upon the malformed body and making look and function like a Dragon, at least while it was alive.

When it died, one of the PC's riding it down a few broken floors of a tower to splatter it against the floor, they were surprised to find it rapidly decomposing into very different parts, all held together by old metal bolts and chains.

That's a really cool idea.

I had a group go against a dragon in 5e recently, it was a CR 7 black dragon against a group of five level 4 characters. One died, the dragon rolled a 6 on its recharge die several times so it got to breathe like four rounds in a row. Shit was insane. The tiefling warlock died and they went on a sidequest to reincarnate him with some of the gold from the dragon's hoard, and for some reason thought that reincarnate switched gender as well, so now "he" is a female elf.

How do five 4th level characters take down a CR 7 dragon?

Grab bunch of elemental ice arrows, cold beer, coup of cows and shoot that motherfucker right in the eye, and have nice BBQ after.

>have nice BBQ after.
Wait, you ATE the dragon? Fucking awesome

After I rammed the party's airship into a dragon while it was leaving its lair, that being the third time in three campaigns I have solved a large problem via ramming an airship into it, the DM declared that I am no longer allowed to fly airships, or have a background involving flying airships.

It really isn't hard. Remember that CR is an enoucnter in which the PCs use like 1/5th of their resources. They can easily take down something higher, it's just more likely someone will die. Three levels difference in CR vs APL really isn't very much. Especially when Sharpshooter and Great Weapons Master are involved.

No. We've got two cows as bait.
Eat a dragon -- boring cliche

Oh man, I just ran this recently.

It was a dragon that focused on illusion magic. The group faced the dragon that was actually a permanent image and the actual dragon would throw fireballs and slap the characters around with Bigby's clenched fist whilst hidden. Eventually, some members of the team were able to see though the illusion, go through a hidden door, to where a second, good, dragon was chained up and being used to amplify the evil dragon's psychic powers. Once freed, the good dragon would discover the bad dragon, end the illusion, and keep the bad dragon occupied while the group focused on piling damage on the bad dragon. Eventually the good dragon would go down and hopefully the group had weakened the evil dragon enough to kill it before it killed them. Sure enough, the group won. Thru out their adventures, they had amassed weapons that dealt bleeding damage, which added up and the dragon eventually bled to death.

The thing is, the dragon was way too high a level for the group. The encounter was actually more of a fighting the environment; the characters had to navigate trough blinding whirlwinds, dodging falling rocks from the ceiling, taking random tail whips every now and then, and of course, surviving the breath weapon.

>kill green dragon
>DM realizes that the dragon was supposed to escape, but he forgot and let it die
>fuck it, his twin brother is helping him out
>kill twin brother
>DM realizes he did it AGAIN
>now they're triplets

Damn, talk about a brutal way to kill a dragon

I know that feel fellow user. Do you too dream of a day when you take part in cutting such a wondrous and fearsome beast?

Back in the old 3.5 days (almost a decade ago, now I think about it), our party had a sky castle on a cloud. We had heard tell of a dragon nearby that had a hoard, and we were short on funds to expand our psionic-crystal-mining operation and fancy up our ground property.

Dragon comes up to meet us, Colour Sprays the lot of us, and dazes 2/3rds of the party. We lob some spells and arrows back, and the next round starts. As a druid, I was fond of Call Lightning Storm, and since we were on a Cloud, my GM allowed me the 5d10 instead of 5d6. Zotted the Dragon with one lightning bolt, and as it lay dying, I approached it. Looking it in the eye gave me the ability, once per week, to turn 10 square feet of water Solid (not ice, but Solid). Made some chromatic breastplate out of it since I couldn't wear metal. Was pretty cool, despite the anti-climactic second-round-kill.

Haven't even Seen another Dragon in all the other games I've plated, aside from pithy Wyrmlings recently.

Not exactly OT but fun
>paladin
>defeat adult red dragon in combat
>raise sword to finish her off
>dragon fucking BEGS for mercy
>full-on whimpering and pleading
>agree to spare her if she shapes up and uses her immense power to help those weaker than her instead of bullying them
>DM has me roll intimidation
>succeed
Felt so fucking awesome

Was riding a dragon as a battle master and used tripping attack. GM thought I said something else, so he let it pass after the dragon failed the save. Once he found out I said tripping attack about 45 minutes later once the dragon was dead and we had received our loot, he was a little mad

On a related note, can you kill somebody using dust of dryness? Make them inhale it and instant mummy?

>familiar fills dragon with water of high enough pressure to deviantart inflate
>doesnt set off the rest of the dust of dryness
>doesnt harm the familiar
>familiar doesnt drown

This story annoyed me at the time it was posted but I forgot about it. You've brought my long-repressed autism to the surface again. I hope you're fucking happy.

There are very few dragons in my setting, less still that actually show up in the campaign at all. I feel that dragons have a certain inherent value to them that I don't want to excessively inflate: I keep them rare.

The one dragon I want my party to face, one day, is Argun the Conflagrator from my favorite AD&D module, Dark Tower - but I haven't yet managed to keep a game alive long enough to get them to the level required for this challenge.

One day, though. One day.