Veeky Forums My long time group is looking to form a side game, a space theme game

Veeky Forums My long time group is looking to form a side game, a space theme game.
they don't want Rogue trader, looking for a Firefly style. Small ship, small crew, a job, and the will to keep flying.
Star wars is out, we have a female player who will not do that.
what is the best Space opera game? Traveller if so which edition?

Stars Without Number is an option. Was only able to play 2 sessions of it, but it did what you describe well.

Stars Without Number maybe?

Lady Blackbird is Firefly inspired.

Try Cepheus Engine, ist basically the Mongoose version of classic traveller but with better editing.

Most people who have some experience with traveller will recommend classic traveller or Mongoose Traveller 1e since those are true and tested.

Gurps people will say Gurps traveller is best

then there is a small faction of Mega traveller, but the later two are not as wide spread.

And then there is Mongoose traveller second edition, which seems to be popular with newcomers and people who only have D&D experience... since it feels alot like space DnD. Claims to fix some of the problems from 1e but, while doing that, tears open new ones.

Megatraveller is basically a complilation of all the core content from Classic, with a unified resolution mechanic. It...has some editing issues, but apparently not as bad as Mongoose's.

>OP pic.

Remember, Book is actually a retired cop.

Also, ignore the "Assassinated Emperor" storyline. It does not end well.

What he said. You sir, want to play Traveller. Cepheus is a great starting point (and it's free).

As a GURPS guy, it's not the best Traveller, but it has some good bits to mine.

People have called Firefly a Traveller knock-off. That's how good a fit it is.

My only concern is you threw around Space Opera - Traveller's pretty hard as far as Sci-Fi goes (there's some magic tech, but only where it's important to get to space opera, most people are still shooting bullets for example)

What features do you want from the game? (For example, Speculative Trading?, /k/ level gun pron?, Star Trek style monologuing?, Tactical Starship and Ground combat?, Faster than Light Communication?, Transporters?)

Any game discussed can do those things - depending on what you want, some will require more work than others.

I'd also be remiss if I failed to mention Diaspora, which is a Fate based game, inspired by Traveller - so if you're a story-game guy, it could be what you want.

I don't agree there - while not everyone would want to play in a succession war, I really enjoy the timeline (stable empire, succession crisis, dark age, rebuilding society). It's what empires do. T4-CT-MT-TNE presents a good cycle giving space to tell any story.

Yet another for traveller, particularly Cepheus Engine. There's one really good thing about traveller: there's really fairly minor differences overall between the editions (they're pretty big from edition to edition, but not as big as the differences between the various editions of D&D, where each is basically an entirely different game).
You also don't have to play in the OTU, with its massive Imperium. If you do throw it out and go for pocket empires, replace SOC with CHA for most interpersonal purposes and leave SOC for the PCs home empires, with penalties in other areas based on how friendly they are. Human CHA and Vargr CHA is still different though (vargr use it for pack dynamics)

GURPS with supplements

I only have experience with Mongoose Traveller, but it seems a shoe-in for a Firefly type setting. So much so that my players kept referencing it. You want small ship trading shenanigans? Well, that's what Traveller was made for. You want a rag-tag crew from different walks of life? That's what Traveller was made for. Sure, they'll all be pushing middle age, but it's not like the Firefly crew was without a past. Most of them have at least two Traveller career slots under their belt.

The only problem with Traveller is that it does have a Bookkeeping in Space part. That ship isn't going to pay for itself, after all. But frankly, what do you think Mal was doing in between episodes that got them into all their adventures in the first place?

Serenity is literally Firefly.

>guy makes a living as a space thug
>space thugs need functional kneecaps
>even if he can find gainful employment his injury will invariably lead to a life of never ending agony
>Shepherd Book effectively ended that man's life all the same
>but at least his conscience is clear

Traveller, Lady Blackbird, or possibly Dogs in the Vineyard.

The Cortex system is fei-oo, though.

OP here thanks for your input so far I've been delving into these books.
I was really enjoying Stars without number but why thac0? Cepheus Engine or mongoose or T5?

>I was really enjoying Stars without number but why thac0? Cepheus Engine or mongoose or T5?

If your players are d20 types, SWN may be a good choice as it's B/X.

DO NOT use T5. It's a game developer kit and not a game. I can say that because I've been playing Traveller since 1977.

MgT2e is the latest version of Mongoose. It's core is supposedly compatible with everything published for 1e. MgT2e has more of what current players think a RPG should have.

Classic (CT) can be heavily modded and is very old school.

If you're not going to use the OTU/3I setting. I'd go with Cepheus Engine for rule while using SWN to build my setting;fluff.

>The Cortex system is fei-oo, though.
Matter of taste, user.
The games of Firefly (the system) we've played have been very close in feel to the show, and it's super fast to make characters and resolve actions. It's not super game-y though so if you like mechanical tinkering you'll fall out of love right quick.

Check out Coriolis. It's 1001 nights in space.

Well, I only played one session, but I felt mechanically gimped as a shooty fighter type. That could have been because of a number of problems, though.

If you want to play Firefly, get the system made specifically for it. Boom, done, have a nice day.

The actual serenity RPG (based off of cortex) is in-fact fantastic. It's my go-to when I want to run something sci-fi that's more crunchy than Lasers & Feelings.

>we have a female player

There is the Firefly rpg but according to the thread it sucks. You might try spelljammer if you wanna do more magicy space stuff, traveler or you could even technically do it in Rifts if you got the old book. Gurps as well.

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiice.