Fantasy Flight Games is proud to announce Genesys, a new roleplaying game system compatible with any setting...

>Fantasy Flight Games is proud to announce Genesys, a new roleplaying game system compatible with any setting, and featuring the critically acclaimed Narrative Dice System.

Looks like EotE is finally going generic.

This could be pretty cool if they do it well. Kinda hoping it's not just EotE with the Star Wars flavour stripped off though.

>sortofwant.jpg

Is this how they'll reboot L5R?

>featuring the critically acclaimed Narrative Dice System.
Fuck their stupid dice.

Hoping there'll be options for more brutal crit tables. I like how it's done in Star Wars, but it's only now in the 900xp range critical injuries risk a nasty death every time, and not every genre is quite as heroic and forgiving.

"Featuring the Bag of Cardboard Tokens from the Genesys Horror LCG"

I'd imagine they're going to have options for how lethal you want your game. You're right, "Easy to drop, hard to kill" doesn't fit for every genre.

I wonder what, if any, OGL or publishing licence they'll have for third parties. I'm not expecting an Apocolypse World treatment, but I hope they allow third part use.

Deep down I know that they're not going to throw any bones and will keep the licence locked up

On the one hand I want this so fucking bad, on the other hand I have an ominous feeling FFG is going to fuck this up hard.

My understanding was that the stupid dice movement was born out of FFGs earlier attempts to combat piracy by producing games so reliant on physical components that illegally downloading the PDF would only do you so much good (hence WFRP 3e with its multitudes of cards, tokens, weird dice, etc.). By the time EotE got around people got so tired of it they figured they must tone it down, so now it's just the funny dice. And it's not like they're even strangely shaped or anything, technically there's nothing preventing you from using a bunch of normal D&D dice (the symbols just map to numbers). Buying the "GenSys" dice just makes it more convenient, like with FUDGE.

Oh look, ANOTHER generic narrative RPG with special dice! It'll totally be better than FATE, right guys? What a load of shit. Any interesting ideas this "game" has, can easily be ported into something . It's a forgettable piece of trash.

>It'll totally be better than FATE, right guys?
I can't think of too many ways it can be worse, so I guess it's worth a try...

Except this is the generic version of a well received and already existing system. It didn't start as some wishy washy "Do anything and make everything up" system, it's surprisingly crunch heavy (but not burdensome).
So yeah it's "generic" but it's had alot of time to undergo focused development.
Also, have you tried decaf?

>Veeky Forums is perfectly willing to drop hundreds or even thousands of dollars on MtG cards, SPESS MAREENS, "precision" dice, paints, and other hobby items, and will even throw a fit if you dare suggest buying any of these that aren't OFFICIAL LISCENSED or from counterfeiters
>but dropping ten bucks for a set of proprietary dice is unacceptable

I mean, it's great for GMs who can immediately filter these types of people out, but it still seems like completely illogical behavior I tend to see all the time here (or at least from one guy samefagging relentlessly).

What's wrong with FATE?

SJW boogymen in mah tabletops.

Haven't tried EotE, but if FFG could use this for some of their other IPs...
>tfw you really miss the Midnight setting.

What the fuck are you even talking about?

Ah. Nothing, I gotcha

I bet you like shitty rpgs like Pathfinder or D&D.

Quite probably, sort of. The release article mentioned setting books will be coming out, which is almost certainly going to include both licensed settings (seeing as it was developed from a game for a licensed setting) like L5R and their own settings for people like .

Actually I'd put good money on L5R being the first setting book, seeing as the RPG was so popular, and I'd say Android will be not far behind

Evil Hat have done some truly retarded "muh diversity" flubs in the past, check a Veeky Forums archive.
Doesn't stop Fate from being good, and that guy being butthurt won't stop Genesys from building on the good base that is FFG Star Wars.

Of course, this is assuming he or some other 'tard doesn't start sperging about MUH FATE POINTS.

T. guy who has never played the system.

>Any interesting ideas this "game" has, can easily be ported into something .
Then why have none of the interesting ideas from Edge of the Empire, the system this is based on, been ported to anything else?

Hint: The dice are kind of crucial.

>Then why have none of the interesting ideas from Edge of the Empire, the system this is based on, been ported to anything else?

Because there are no interesting ideas in Edge of the Empire.

>he doesn't like my favorite RPG
>I....I...I bet the games he likes are even WORSE! so there!

You argue on the level of a five year old.

The world doesn't need yet another generic universal system that does everything badly.

That market is already covered by GURPS.

This will be a flop.

Here, take your (you) and get out of this thread.

If you want a hugbox of positive approval, /soc/ is that way -->

>Because there are no interesting ideas in Edge of the Empire.
That explains all the homebrews and system adaptations, gee thanks for clearing up that one up.
Just fuck off back to where ever you came from and stop shitting up the thread. All the Edge of the XYZ projects running around show that there must be some interesting ideas in there or why would people make homebrew setting ports?

OGL was a mistake that ruined the RPG industry for a decade atleast. No one should want a new one.

>contributes nothing of worth to thread
>cries when called out
Have another (you)! Seriously though, if you're just going to cry like a little bitch, try just lurking.

on the one hand, I thought the FFG star wars had great flavor and were really fun
on the other hand, the mechanics didn’t well done. advancing in a skill never really felt like you had advanced.

I'm actually curious why you say this, outside of the debacle that is "Pathfinder existing"

but GURPS is shit user

I think user is trying to say that Genesys will also be shit and will flop because the shit market is already covered.
And then posts a picture of an unrelated system generic rpg. I'm unsure if that's supposed to be yet another shit system or one that's good as a contrast to GURPS. I'm not sure. But pic rp looks like a confused mess so I'm thinking the former, but I didn't look too closely at the SRDs.

Not that guy, but all of a sudden everyone was trying to shoehorn whatever they were working on into D20, no matter how poor the fit was, because they could 'tap into the market'. Most failed anyways but it was briefly almost every studio in the industry getting involved, WHITE WOLF was making D20 shit.

And you know the whole 'Have you tried not playing D&D?' meme? When *everything* has the same problems, there's nothing to switch TO anymore. We are very, very lucky that it all imploded.

I don't think any other system is EVER going to have that same effect on the market, especially not this one, so I am completely ambivalent about whether they allow other publishers to use the system without royalties.

>That explains all the homebrews and system adaptations, gee thanks for clearing up that one up.

Every system has those. Fucking D&D has those, at you saying D&D is a good game?

>OGL was a mistake that ruined the RPG industry for a decade atleast
Goddamn, even my 13 year old niece isnt this melodramatic. Please defend this retarded assertion.

Yeah, that's a good point. While doing a watch through of Farscape I did some idle searching and found a real awful looking D20 book. It made me kind of sad. And I think that matches up to your time frame.
But now that's not an issue, since there are so many different dice systems, alot of them free to use. Just pick the one that actually "fits". I'm keeping my fingers crossed because Genesys/EotE really fits my design criteria. My campaigns are already homebrews, just looking to take a pet project a bit further to fill the dullness of suburban life.

But yeah, whether I see early/mid 2000's franchises adapted into d20 sysyems, it makes me feel vaugley naucious. I guess I just tried to forget about it. Thankfully the problem of d20 default or lack of variety aren't issues any more.

Sales numbers seem to suggest so.
I'm not saying it's "great" or "fantastic" but "good" is fair, and has some interesting and easy to adapt ideas under the hood.

Yup, the market is flooded with shitty generic systems and Genesys will be just another one.

What makes you say that? Unless you think the underlying system is shit, then that's a different discussion.

What does Genesys do that GURPS, savage worlds, or FATE cannot?

If the game cannot answer this question, it has no reason to exist.

>FATE
A more codified version of a non-binary task resolution system, instead of "yes, and/no, but"
>GURPS
It's not distilled autism
>Savage Worlds
Flowing, theatre-of-the-mind combat that allows for more than just hugging cover, hitting each other and praying for your damage roll to beat their toughness

>GURPS
A math burdened mess. Fun only to statisticians, also over a dozen years since last edition was published
>FATE
Arguably not even a "game", way too open ended and abstract/unstructured, zero crunch
>Savage Worlds
Don't know too much about it, but it looks kind of bland like Cortex (any version)

What FFG does have to offer is a system that's freeform but has the potential for it of crunch. Because bonuses are types of dice you don't get bogged down with +/-1's all over the place, just roll and there is the result. Also there's more than just pass or fail, which I prefer (not for GMs with manic narrative control issues).
So in sort, packing a bit of simulationism behind a very narrativist face while not bogging down in its own book keeping.

I've actually looked into alot of open and setting generic systems, this is honestly the first one that really excited me.

Savage Worlds is pretty good, but it's obviously based on wargaming rules. It lives or dies on its fast tactical combat system, because everything else is a bit "just there".
It's horses for courses, really. I love both FFG Star Wars and Savage Worlds for different reasons.

I'll have to give it a deeper look, thanks! I'm looking for a more narrative/story system, but that's not to say FFGs combat couldn't be improved.

I find it kind of funny that it's the second time a Star Wars TTRPG got retooled into a generic system, the first time being West End Games' D6 system.

Is dat some OC user? Is it... any good?

I've not read it yet. Saw it cheap, I love Farscape so I thought why not.

Yeah, why not. I usually balk at "franchise shoved into d20 system" but I think I'm going to pick this up for the nostalgia factor.

>Owning books you haven't read
I know that feel. Mine's an entire fucking shelf. There just isn't time...

Plus it's a curiously for the collection, a talking point when your friends are over.

And the second time there was a Star Wars TTRPG it was the generic system of D20 being retooled to work with the SW setting.

I want Netrunner and Twilight Emperium settings.

I'm gonna give this thread a bump, since the other alternative is to realize that I'm actually going to have to wait for this system. Already worked out a 20% discount for 3 sets of dice and the rulebook as soon as it hits my FLGS's Inventory on the condition I run a campaign with a couple of the store's workers.

Do they still have the Song of Ice and Fire license?

That'd be an interesting setting book.

That'd be really cool. Too bad they don't publish Dust anymore, that'd be another cool setting.

Despite their best efforts, Evil Hat made Fate into a decent game because they built the game on a set of mechanics developed by someone who actually understood how RPGs worked.
FFG's Genesys is not that lucky.

D20 was not the problem. D&D was the problem. And every third party aped the balance issues of 3.x instead of learning the lessons of a failed system. Some of the spinoffs were fun - spycraft, par example. Remove spells, ???, profit

"The world doesn't need yet another generic universal system that does everything badly." is a valid opinion that can be discussed. Your bitching and (you) throwing is not. Be a kind soul and fuck off.

Ok, but we're talking about is the Narrative Dice System... which, honestly, as long as they don't fuck up Magic, I'm thinking there's very little that can go wrong. The system does what it's designed for rather well... and honestly the worst part of the system was that you had to run it in Star Wars.

Third (you) in the bank, spend them well friendo. Also
>not an argument

Be glad (you)s aren't narcan or else I'd have to leave you dying on the street from attention withdraw.

FFGs bread and butter is little things made of plastic. It's their core business.

I'm surprised how long it took them to make custom dials and stands for XWing and wonder why plastic tokens are prizes.

I'm also surprised they don't have color choices for the Star Wars dice.

Dear God, people not being selfish pricks with their licenses for once, what a tragedy.

Just like Savage Worlds and Fate were a flop, right?

>Do they still have the Song of Ice and Fire license?
Not for TTRPGs, Green Ronin has that.

The Green Ronin ASOIAF system is actually really good too, check it out.

It's insulting because it's taking an established thing and adding more DRM/extortion to it. The fact that normal polyhedral dice are pretty much standard and usable in almost any tabletop RPG is a nice thing about the community that FFG wants to destroy for more money. Maybe I shouldn't be this mad at them and shoukd just continue to not buy them, but I actually feel like they need to apologize for this idea. TCGs were crooked from the beginning so it's not as noticeable that they're still crooked now.

Having to come up with twenty ways per session that you can fail in a good way or succeed in a bad way was a little excessive. Because of the way the dice are laid out, succeeding with threat or failing with advantage are disproportionately common compared to succeeding with advantage and failing with threat. If you succeed at a roll it's probably because you got instead of failures, and if you fail it's because you got advantage instead of success. It's bad.

Find a way to run FFG's dice system using numeric dice that isn't cumbersome as all fuck.

I'll wait.

They even provide a table for using normal dice if you can't get your hands on their proprietary ones, it's in every core rule book.

If a roll doesn't present interesting opportunities for shit to go wrong, why the hell are you making it a roll in the first place?

When I ran the FFG Star Wars system for my group, I pirated the .apk file for their dice roller app, put it in a dropbox, and told them to just install it on their phones. When I showed up to game night the previous GM had still bought a set of FFG dice because he's a purist.

They can show how to do that because they know they'll still sell plenty of their garbage dice to people who don't read that page before buying the game, or just to people with no self-respect.

>sitting at a table and using a phone to roll dice
You are 80% of what is wrong with RPGs nowadays.

That would be a valid complaint, but you can pretty easily use normal rpg dice to play any of these games.

Truly the greatest of villains.

I preferred it to shelling out for the dice. In fact, once that campaign got to capital ship combat levels, we did use the app for that cause of the number of rolls being thrown around for all those laser batteries can get nuts.

Because players have this idea that if they're not rolling dice they're not getting value out of their abilities. This system is not built to handle dice rolling at the rate at which most players want to roll them, but it doesn't do a good job telling the players this. So as a result you either have to tell the players no when they want to roll for some skill they paid hard-earned points on, or you have to figure out what the hell could possibly go wrong when they roll for some kind of inconsequential knowledge check and succeed with threat.

There's also, you know, the main point I was making about how succeeding with threat is way too common because of the careless way the dice are designed, which you didn't address.

Wow, a generic system that mandates purchasing FFG's special dice with little benefit. Playing Cypher generic almost seems appealing now.

Even though it's not 1-for-1 in any stretch I thought up a dice system that works very similarly. I'm going to use it if FFG are assgoblins and don't release a third party OGL or STD.

It runs on the same base system as the game Don't Rest Your Head.

>two colors of dice, let's say red and blue d10s
>blue are skill dice, red are challenge dice
>evens are success or failure, generate more successes in blues than failures in red, you succeed
>look for the largest dice value, if blue gain Advantage, if red gain Disadvantage, ties cancel out
>d12s are upgrades, rolling a blue 12 result generates a Triumph, red a Dispair
>d8s are boosts and setbacks

It's not as granular or smooth as FFG but it still has narrative push, so pretty much >pic related if FFG decides to keep the licence under lock and key.

Not him, but I've run a campaign in FFG Star Wars, and the complaints I have with the system (rocket tag starfighter combat and the difficulty of portraying the multi-specied setting without ILM's costume budget) are not the commonality of succeed with threat or fail with advantage. It's honestly quite easy to adjudicate, and the game even suggests letting players take off some of that burden by having tables like pic related on hand. It also makes the players feel like they have more agency, since advantage is a currency to spend and threat is a debt to pay off.

Now THAT I'd like to see as a generic system.

It's in your minds. You have an infinite special effects budget. People say that all the time, and you're the first person I've ever heard say the opposite. What do you do at your table, throw a quarter in the ILM jar each time you mention an alien and a dollar whenever you mention a ship in motion?

>thinking anyone cares about your autistic screeching

lol

What I mean is, in bog standard D&D setting number 5 million, if I tell you that the bartender is an elf, you understand what I mean. In Star Wars, if I tell you that the bartender is a Devoronian, do you know what that means without having to it look up on wookiepedia? If I say that you're ambushed by Talz mercenaries, does that paint a picture in your head? Imagine for a moment what the cantina scene is like in a written or spoken format, it robs the whole scene of the immediacy and impact of the alien and cosmopolitan setting. Sure, I can say that "The Alien has a smooth and lithe body, with tannish grey skin and two black orbs for eyes. It's four arms come to hands with three fingers and a thumb, each equipped with an octopus like sucker on the end" if my players don't know what a Xexto is, but that's the kind of description you'd give to a demon or eldritch monstrosity, not a sapient creature a cosmopolitan PC would have seen at least once or twice in their life. It distances the player from their character, and makes it harder to roleplay. In addition, imagine the scenes with Jabba, but Jabba speaks perfect English rather than his weird booming language. But neither my players nor I speak the number of languages a character in Star Wars is expected to speak, so once again the scene loses it's impact and alien nature. This isn't really FFG's fault by any means, it's just the nature of adapting from one medium to another.

Okay, so some people are dumb and don't do their research before buying things.

That's FFG's fault how?

>has the potential for it of crunch.

I think EotE's weakest parts were the crunch actually

Because otherwise making a player roll would give away information

What were the strengths then? It's Star Wars, they don't really have to try for fluff.

I half agree. The crunch was hit or miss. But there's the potential to do some really cool stuff with it. Look at the Force and Destiny book where the talents are more than "lol remove a black dice" and had some pretty neat tricks. Is there alot to improve? Yes. But the game has more meat and structure than Fate, which I found utterly lacking for anything beyond presenting a character concept.
So if there's interesting feats/talents and cleaned up rules, I think this will be an excellent system.

First thing, the sort of nerds who play Star Wars tabletop RPGs are exactly the sort of people who know what a Devaronian is from memory. Second, even those who don't still know what Star Wars looks like. You don't need to describe every feature of every alien because everyone has seen the cantina scene and knows the sort of thing to expect when you tell them something simple like "you see some weird aliens."

Mixing narrativism with game mechanics. That's it really, and the only reason it's praised. But it's not like you can make interesting builds or have cool gear or anything. It's pretty basic in the crunch department (as it should be, its a narrativistic game) but that does make the crunch pretty weak

Because they knew it would happen. They're selling those dice, which is the whole reason they designed a game with custom dice. They can use that one dice substitution table as an excuse when confronted about it, because they know that they're still making a killing selling things that never should have existed. I hope the mouse takes their license away and their priloject manager an heroes like the guy who was supposed to make that 4e online tabletop.

So what's the core dice mechanics of the system? I'm not at all familiar with the offshots this game is supposedly based on.

Dice have symbols on them that determine more than just pass fail. Very proprietary in nature if now well designed and of good quality.

If you NC heck out the ffg forums you will come across the variants. Westerns, d&d mock up's, mass effect, elder scrolls just to name a few. I have a collection if you annoys what to see it.

the gist of it is that you roll a number of proficiency dice and ability dice based on your characteristics and skill, with proficiency being better than ability

this is challenged by penalty dice, the harder the task the more of them you roll

you can roll on your good dice success, advantage, and triumph
the penalty dice roll failure, disadvantage, and (on the red one) despair
after rolling, count up your results

if your success is higher than failures, then you succeed at the task you were doing
if your advantage is higher than disadvantage, then you may spend it on an additional benefit
the more advantages you roll over disadvantages, the better the bonus
if you roll triumph, it counts as 1 success and 1 advantage, and it may be spent on things that advantage can get (the specific example is you may spend a triumph to do something like shoot door controls to get it to close off a corridor)

if there are more failures, then you obviously fail at the task
if there is more disadvantage than advantage, then the DM may spend it to make it more difficult for you
and despair counts as 1 disadvantage and as 1 failure, and may be spent on serious setbacks (such as your gun jamming or running out of energy)

triumph and despair do not cancel each other out like advantage or success, so something really good and something really bad will happen together if you roll both

the benefit of this is that its very fast, just subtract the failures from success and subtract disadvantage from advantage, then apply effects
it also allows for more than just pass/fail, you can succeed at great cost, or salvage something from a dismal failure, and gives the players some kind of choice every turn like "do i spend my triumph on a critical hit or do i spend it trying to shoot a gun out of someones hand?"