Would he have won the war if it was a True Realistic like George said it was?

Would he have won the war if it was a True Realistic like George said it was?

Other urls found in this thread:

ign.com/boards/threads/sample-chapter-from-winds-of-winter.207815997/
youtube.com/watch?v=5IPtLvxO8hs
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>True Realistic
Oh no, CWC has read ASOIAF. Everybody, run.

Most likely. Then again the whole war would never had happened, because Robert would realize his children are not his own

I am still baffled at the turn that shit took--assuming the show follows the same route as the book, because Martin once described Stannis in very glowing terms, comparing him to some Bong noble who actually won his war.

So it seems very out of character--wildly even--for him to sacrifice his daughter because it got a bit cold. He even gave one of his soldiers literally impossible orders to retreat with his daughter back to Dragonstone and fight until she sat upon the Iron Throne if he died.

It literally can't happen in the books, because Stannis and Shireen are at completely different locations. Also, here's what GRRM said about him.

>And it is important that the individual books refer to the civil wars, but the series title reminds us constantly that the real issue lies in the North beyond the Wall. Stannis becomes one of the few characters fully to understand that, which is why in spite of everything he is a righteous man, and not just a version of Henry VII, Tiberius or Louis XI.

That's the TV series, which has diverged wildly from the books since Dabid and Company started writing their own fan-fic in crayon next to The Fat Man's sparknotes of the entire series.

If only he bend the knee to ARENLY

I swear to god, every time people talk about how Renly would be a great king, they are talking aboue show Renly, who not only had all of his negative qualities erased, but also had a great deal of positive ones added to him, to make it all the more SHOCKING and EVIL when Stannis kills him.

Book Renly was still a great guy, just a bit of a pillow-biting homosexual with literal pride cloaks.

>CWC GoT
Now that's something that I want to see.

Is Martin ever going to push out the sixth book or is he too salty about the tv-series or something, or just doesn't bother since he's living cushy from the royalties?

>CWC

Didn't happen in the books. Show a shit.

The latter led into the former, Grum simply doesn't give a fuck about a series everyone is going to know the ending to.

But the tv-series went into complete fanfic territory?
I didn't watch that shit beyond third season but from the things I hear it's way, waaay different.
I'd imagine Martin would still like to finish his own, actual and original story.
Not that Asoiaf was particularly impressive in the first place but I'd still like a closure.

the show's writers dropped the ball so hard it shattered the earth's crust

No, not likely. Stannis was outnumbered and unpopular.

If Rob wasn't a complete shithead and had supported Stannis like his father instead of letting KING INNA NORRFF go to his head then likely that alliance would have put Stannis on the throne.

Stannis' fate is still uncertain. He is in the process of liberating the north and it's unclear how it will turn out. I think he may pull it off, but I don't see him surviving the series or becoming king.

Nah, TWENNY GOOD MEN would beat him any day

Robb had no reason to support Stannis.

Stannis is unpopular, but he has one quality that Northeners like, and that is unyelding sense of duty and justice. He will be seen as stern but honest and that might win him support in the North, which should be enough to take on the imploding Lannisters and convince Tyrells rhat a devil they know is better than Targaryen pretenders.
Stannis is shown to be slowly turning into a more flexible character too, he might be willing to overlook the opposition of lesser nobility in the South in exchange for support of his bid to the throne - he might end up executing some, but he won't cut the branch that he will be sitting on.

A problem he might have is that Shireen makes for a poor heir and he might be forced to take on a different wife to secure the kingdom after his death. Lastly, trying to convince the kingdom ot follow him to fight off the Walkers might be rpoblematic too, as it hinges on beleif in Fire God, whereas Westeros is firmly Seven Gods.

>Lastly, trying to convince the kingdom ot follow him to fight off the Walkers might be rpoblematic too, as it hinges on beleif in Fire God, whereas Westeros is firmly Seven Gods.
I highly doubt the high septon's going to have a problem with fighting off the snow zombies that were so terrifying the last time that they showed up stories are still told about them thousands of years later.

Dumb & Dumber have barely been following the books for the last couple of seasons, which is why they're fucking laughable these days. They openly say that they hated Stannis, which should explain why he did a complete fucking u-turn before his death.

From what it looks like to me, they decided half way through writing the script of the season that they were going to kill him off, but realised that they'd probably need to make the viewer dislike him just like they did to get the desired effect. The only idea Hack and Fraud came up with to make that happen was for him to burn his daughter alive, despite it being clearly established that he loved her more than anything else and had gone to great lengths to keep her safe in the past.

I HIGHLY recommend reading the books. They do drop in quality a bit like the show did, but only slightly and everything that made the series great in the first place is still there in them. Almost everything in the show that sucks is fanfiction invented by D&D

>mocks his loyal followers behind their back
>starves out all the innocents in the capital because his bottom told him he should be king

The guy was a warmongering prick.

The problem is that the high septon and literally everyone in King's Landing believes that the snow zombies don't exist.

No, northerners are drooling, savages with ill tempers. The reason why the Starks in the book are so muh honor muh justice is because Ned was raised by Jon Arryn.

He was as retarded as Stannis, and an arrogant selfish cunt. He was that guy that is great for parties but you can't rely on him if you get drunk and need help to come back home.

This

I feel like it's really pointed in the show as well because literally every northerner that's not a stark or raised by starks is quite literally the definition of snow nigger. Mormonts excluded to an extent perhaps.

That shit they pulled at the end of season 6 with the little girl was stupid

Ned's cold temper is constantly associated with him being a northener.

And Robert as well was raised by Jon Arryn for fuck's sake. If he's not the definition of a drooling savage with ill temper I don't know who is.

Except Ned's father and siblings were as impulsive and mouthbreathing as Robert.

But a cold, calculating temper does not translate into muh honor. It took that shape in Ned because of Jon Arryn.

Well, gay character in an HBO show.
HBO is well aware that 'we had the gays before everyone else' is one of the three reasons they have any relevance whatsoever, so they had to Sue him up.
Seriously, I can't wait for the show to be over so that HBO can join MTV in the dustbin of history.

Because everyone in this world is a fucking moron.
From page one.
'Man, we've got this GIANT WALL here, but clearly that's just to protect from dirt-eating savages, right?'
'Huh, this deserting guy's ranting about monsters; must be crazy, amiright?'
'Woah, man! How'd this thing get so far south of the wall! Must just be, like, an omen, right?'
I swear, Ned should have died on page three. (Except then, there'd only have been one interesting perspective character in the first book, which would have made it actually unreadable.)

I don't think many people don't believe that the white walkers existed, they just don't believe that they've come back

Am I the only one who didn't infer that Renly was gay from the books? Actually I don't think it was so obvious for Loras either.

I was pretty sure that the reason for Margaery being a "virgin" was her and the family being a bunch of lying bitches and everyone was pretending to believe them to avoid trouble. I don't see book Renly being literally unable to put it in like in the series, gay or not.

they made it pretty fucking obvious he was gay

Where? When?

It was first only hinted at in the second book, when Loras says they were "praying" together. Later, in ASoS, I think, Jaime says is out loud, and Loras confirms it.

I don't remember the later part being a direct confession, although my memory is not that good.

Renly could be bi like Julius Caesar, anyways. It would fit the character better to just not give a fuck instead of being a closeted fag.

If you didn't get it then you aren't very good at reading between the lines, which is how a lot of the context of the book is gathered.

There were no such things as bisexuals in middle ages. You were a homo that fucked women.

Renly and the numerous other lords in Westerosi history didn't really seem closested so much as he seemed to keep it to himself.
We've nothing on how the Faith of the Seven views homosexuality morally, but it seems that Westerosi culture basically doesn't care as long as it stays your business and if you're a noble then you do your job and knock out an heir when you're supposed to. I think the implication that a homosexual wouldn't have children and continue the family line is the real damning part to Westerosi culture because it's clear that that shit is REALLY important to them, especially since they have a lack of complex aristocratic titles to determine succession and inheritence (something Martin apparently regrets not doing) and thus immediately blood relation are the ONLY way anyone can reliably lay claim on anything, with everything else being an extremely fragile claim to power.
Depends on the where and the when.
With a lot of the Mediterranean cultures that's true for whatever reason, but sexuality is as much a product of circumstance and nurture as it is nature.
Not that I think "all people are bisexual/genderfluid" mind you, just that it's a complicated thing that is more malleable then we think that partially comes from a need to procreate but is heavily filtered through cultural and religious norms as well as a general need to emotionally and physically connect with other human beings most people have to some degree.

Explain the red viper.

Not an argumemt

Wait what

If you need an easy analogy, see people that think we faked the Moon Landing, Dinosaurs, Flat-earthers.

There is a lot of dumb people that exist today. Creationists that think world is 6000 years old. If you knew true percentages of how many of these people were out there, it would represent a good percentage of humanity, maybe not a third, but quite a bit.

So stupid people not believing things in fiction is quite believable.

>D&D ruined a good thing
Coincidence? I think not.

But the moon landing never happened

His father would have supported Stannis

I defeated your uncle Victarion and his Iron Fleet off Fair Isle, the first time your father crowned himself. I held Storm's End against the power of the Reach for a year, and took Dragonstone from the Targaryens. I smashed Mance Rayder at the Wall, though he had twenty times my numbers. Tell me, turncloak, what battles has the Bastard of Bolton ever won that I should fear him?

His father did support Stannis, and he died for it.

in what way is Stannis actually about honor and justice? I've never gotten that considering all the horrible shit he pulls from the very first chapter he appears in, he talks alot about honor and justice he just doesnt seem to believe it should apply to him when he wants something

No, because to win a war you need support. He was an asshole and no one liked him. He spent all that time whining and brooding on that island when he should have been gathering allies. Right to Rule only gets you so far.

About Shireen, she's part of why he fights so hard to be a king despite himself not even wanting the throne. His daughter is the true heir as he is the true king and he feels duty bound to give her her rightful throne.

"Justin: Your Grace, if you are dead —
Stannis: — you will avenge my death, and seat my daughter on the Iron Throne. Or die in the attempt.
Justin: On my honor as a knight, you have my word"

This is one of my favorite quotes by him.

It's my second favorite quote in the book. Right behind 'The North remembers'

The moment those hack frauds didn't even cast someone for this role was the moment it was fucking over for me.

Ain't that the Winds of Winter preview though?

Nope.

Is Justin best bro?

Could have sworn it was.

ign.com/boards/threads/sample-chapter-from-winds-of-winter.207815997/

I'm talking about the mannerly speech my man.

Okay. Based Pieman was definitely Dance of Dragons.

I know, I know

What was his problem

sea niggers

>paying attention to the tv show
>2017
In the books Stannis is gonna win bigly.

Assuming Martin isn't trolling when he said she was going to die in the books too via sacrifice to R'hllor, her mother will likely do it without Stannis' consent or presence.

Well yeah Red Woman and that retard Stannis married are totally gonna sacrifice her.
Mother dearest has never liked Shireen. But Stannis is going to execute a bitch when he finds out.

i swear to fucking god i know this will probably happen but im already pissed.
Just how unstoppably enraged do you think Stannis would be if the ONE thing he actually loves in the whole world got ripped from his arms after all that pain, suffering, and money we burned just to protect her?
Imagine if YOUR cunt of a wife fucking burns your sweet, kind, smart, and lovable kid just because she thinks you cant win a war on your own.

It's more like homosexuality wasn't thought as a sexuality at all so there were no such things as homosexuals or heterosexuals, just sodomites.
It was the act that was considered a sin and people doing it were thought to do it to experiment further with unbridled sex without any notion of people being attracted to males or females.
If anything it wasn't considered that abnormal for humans to have sexual desires for those of the same sex, it was just a sinful act to act on it.

Stannis might win the battle of ice, but it'll be close, not like the stupid shit in the show. god I hate that shit. what Stannis does after could be interesting, but honestly i'd be ok with him just straight up losing to the cold, just not in the retarded sir-twenty-goodmen and brienne showing up like her plot matters at all

I'm pretty sure he knew, he had to, didn't he only sleep with Cercei once? He just didn't give a single solitary fuck.

kek

Who gives a fuck about Stannis, is Cleganebowl happening or not?

I don't think he is going to kill shireen. At this point many of readers want him to won

yeah and I'd imagine most readers wouldn't have wanted Ned to die

GRRM seems to be setting it up to be Dany + Jon that win

he's not
his wife is a cunt though

Stannis will probably break

PURE
IRON

Reminder that Stannis will go to his grave confused as to why his brother offered him some fucking peaches.

Maybe.

I mean, war is full of a lot of variables and most of the time the winner is decided by who can make the best decision in the moment. Stannis was a good military commander and had even better ones under him, but he suffered from bad publicity (or near as one can get in the time period) and a lack of men and resources.

He could win, but just looking at what he has available to him? I think it's more likely he'd lose. But like I said, bonkers shit happens in real war all the time so who's to really say how it would turn out in reality.

CWC + GoT

He raped her often. He just didn't bother doing it properly, or was usually too drunk to be able to.

He never raped her. He simply did his rights as a husband

>He raped her often.
Did he? It's been years, but I remember Robert just being a perpetually drunk it's-good-to-be-the-king king who fucked servant girls and high-class courtesans whenever, because he's the king.
Marriage with Lannisters was politics since his love had died, I don't think he cared enough about royal lineage to even properly siring an heir, much less raping Cersei.

Not that user. But he would rape her. In fact, I think Cersei in one of her chapters got pregnant with his child but aborted it.

Okay that suddenly sparked some memories, that did happen.
"Ned asks Cersei how it is possible that she never had a child by the king, and she admits she almost did but had the child aborted. Cersei goes on to claim that she cannot stand to even touch Robert now, and has not let him inside her for years" according to wiki.
So no rapes per se? Unless you count consummation and couple of heir-siring attempts after that, which you possibly could as Cersei hated Robert ever since the wedding night, but then again he was the king and she the queen and things need to happen.

>I HIGHLY recommend reading the books.
Yeah, I tried. They're boring as shit.

Reminder that Stannis will be killed by Mance Rayder, who killed and impersonated Ramsey Bolton. Mance will then attempt to kill Jon as well, but fail.

>he talks alot about honor and justice he just doesnt seem to believe it should apply to him when he wants something

Like the majority of humans through all of history.

I'd be ok with it, it'd at least be interesting to read.

I hate it when people wax poetic about the books, but that is one thing they get right a lot of them time.

Yeah they aren't even half as impressive as you'd be led to believe by the following they have.
But, they do have a more coherent narrative than the tv-show, even if it's pretty damn bloated.
I imagine Martin has method to his madness on resolving all the side-plots in the end and showing that they were relevant, but at this point they kind of don't feel like it.

I'm still wondering what purpose did Quentyn serve. Was there really no other way of making Dorne to turn to Young Griff, or to free the dragons? Were his chapters REALLY necessary?
Unless Preston was right all along, and he survived. Somehow.

She also needed some alibis for Jamie's kids - the exact timing wouldn't be too much of an issue, especially with how Robert drank, but she'd need him to provide cover.

Presumably after Tommen she told Jamie she wasn't doing that again.

It absolutely did. It just wasn't the Americans who landed on it.

>CWC
Chemical weapons convention?

oh boy

sonichu.com

youtube.com/watch?v=5IPtLvxO8hs looks like it gives a good overview

>I imagine Martin has method to his madness on resolving all the side-plots in the end and showing that they were relevant, but at this point they kind of don't feel like it.
Martin has no idea what he's doing. He won't finish the series, and I pity whatever poor fool gets brought in by the estate.

This
I've been stuck on Martin's ride since 2003. I want to get out but it's been so long that I can't abandon it.

WhT

Never heard anyone call chris chan cwc before