That's it. I'm sick of all this "Masterwork Bastard Sword" bullshit that's going on in the d20 system right now...

That's it. I'm sick of all this "Masterwork Bastard Sword" bullshit that's going on in the d20 system right now. Katanas deserve much better than that. Much, much better than that.

I should know what I'm talking about. I myself commissioned a genuine katana in Japan for 2,400,000 Yen (that's about $20,000) and have been practicing with it for almost 2 years now. I can even cut slabs of solid steel with my katana.

Japanese smiths spend years working on a single katana and fold it up to a million times to produce the finest blades known to mankind.

Katanas are thrice as sharp as European swords and thrice as hard for that matter too. Anything a longsword can cut through, a katana can cut through better. I'm pretty sure a katana could easily bisect a knight wearing full plate with a simple vertical slash.

Ever wonder why medieval Europe never bothered conquering Japan? That's right, they were too scared to fight the disciplined Samurai and their katanas of destruction. Even in World War II, American soldiers targeted the men with the katanas first because their killing power was feared and respected.

So what am I saying? Katanas are simply the best sword that the world has ever seen, and thus, require better stats in the d20 system. Here is the stat block I propose for Katanas:

(One-Handed Exotic Weapon)
1d12 Damage
19-20 x4 Crit
+2 to hit and damage
Counts as Masterwork

(Two-Handed Exotic Weapon)
2d10 Damage
17-20 x4 Crit
+5 to hit and damage
Counts as Masterwork

Now that seems a lot more representative of the cutting power of Katanas in real life, don't you think?

tl;dr = Katanas need to do more damage in d20, see my new stat block.

Obvious troll is obvious...

They just don't make pasta like this anymore

How new?

You know what? That's a classic. I'm giving this thread my OK.

That's what makes it an obvious troll. He's just throwing out old pasta. Such stale shit can't be anything but shitposting trying to get a rise out of someone whose sick of this shit, or maybe a newfag who thinks it's funny because he hasn't seen it posted a million times.

This is ancient Veeky Forums pasta you incredible newfag

I assumed the joke would be that everyone on Veeky Forums already knows it's pasta and everyone would tactfully pretend otherwise and act as though this was brand-new.

>Not 1d20 damage
>Not 1-20 x10 Crit
>Not +10 to hit and damage
>Not counting as magical weapons

I see your katana game is weak, little grasshopper.

*tips hat and flies away

>not knowing 1d20 is worse than 2d10

>Such stale shit can't be anything but shitposting
you're a right ray of sunshine, aren't you

Breastplates are pretty sexy

...you know what? Good point. I was going to make a post about how this is an old meme, but yeah, this is fun.

>I assumed the joke

That's where you went wrong. There is no joke, just shit.

you are right. Truth is i'm just sick of this pasta because it prevents me from trying to bring up the possibility of changing the stats for a Katana because if i did i'd just get lumped in with this shit.

I've been in Veeky Forums for about a month and even I can tell this is trollage

>katanas are never mass produced or sold on stores

They've got to be trolling

>Versatile
I am dissapointed

I assumed this, too. It's so stale that people weren't even posting it anymore. Is there anyone left who HASN'T seen it a million times?

OTOH it is summer, so never underestimate the power of human stupidity.

This is some vintage memes, OP.

On a more serious note I do allow katanas in my game to be drawn as a bonus action if you are attacking with it and proficient.

That does raise a question: isn't Iaijutsu just retarded shit Samurai practiced after the Sengoku Jidai to prove that they're totally not irrelevant anymore gaiz? Think about it, what battlefield use does being able to draw a sword quickly, slash, and sheath it again have? If you're entering the field of battle you already have your weapon at the ready, and you're not going to sheath it until the enemy is defeated. I can sort of see it being useful if you're alone and randomly attacked by muggers or something, but how often is lower nobility out and about without bodyguards anyway?

Am I missing something, or is it really just dickwaving in sword form?

Some schools practiced it as a display of skill more than anything, because in practice it actually isn't that easy to draw, perform a perfect cut, and sheath all in one fluid motion.

But if you're asking the historical origins then honestly I have no clue if it was just for duels or dickwaving or whatever. Flintlock rifles pretty much made katanas obsolete, and even before that, a spear was better than a sword in most cases.