Is it possible to intentionally create a type of setting that did not exist before?

Is it possible to intentionally create a type of setting that did not exist before?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=2pcGGKtPpSE
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

No

Yes

sure. depending on how indepth you want the setting, it can be really easy/quick too.

Maybe

Maybe

You'd be really hard pressed to think of anything that's actually never been done before, considering the spectrum of creativity humans have

The next best thing you have is taking a barely touched-upon concept and then executing it in your own manner rather than simply staying within a given preexisting ruleset

I don't know

Can you repeat the question?

If I couldn't see the posters/replies count with my own eyes, I so would have guessed this was samefagging

This has been something I've been trying to crack for most of my life. Results have been mixed.

While it's absolutely possibke, there's a limit to how far removed from human experience you can get before people start checking out. Look into the Orthogonal Trilogy. it's one of the most creative endeavors I've ever read, but it's hard as hell to finish. Essentially, it's a series about alien scientists in an alternate universe trying to solve physics problems. As a sci fi fan and a scientists, I love it. You've never heard of it for a reason though.

So we're limited to human experience then. That's a problem, because humans are really, really, limited in all actuality. They care about food (survival), fucking (other humans, or something vaguely human like), and maybe whether or not life has a purpose, so if they can't relate to one of those things you're dead in the water. Thus, there's only so many originL settings that can be derived from this set up

Yes, but it won't be easy and it won't be rewarding because nobody you know will actually want to play with something they cannot connect to on any level.

YOU'RE NOT THE BOSS OF ME NOW

Step one, list every idea ever done in a fictional setting
Step two don't have those things in your setting

I didn't mean something completely removed from anything anyone had ever done before. Just a new type of setting.

What do you mean by new type of setting?

Something outside of any established setting type (low fantasy, high fantasy, space opera, cyberpunk etc.)

It's do able but you would want a really out there premise, try something like flatland

...Table Top God Game?

Yeah, but to do that, you'd need to come of with a new basis of life for your setting. Low Fantasy and Mordern settings are usually based on things IRL (Land, Money, etc.), High Fantasy on Magic, and every sort of sci fi based on imagining how far we could go with a certain form of tech. Find something outside of that, something that no one really thinks about, and base your setting on that. Then, carry that out to its conclusion.

Say your new setting is based entirely on... I don't fucking know, friction. Where everything is slippery and evil = roughness. See how fucking hard this is?

Here's the problem with saying you want to go outside of any established setting, but not outside regular experiance. All of our settings are just time periods in human history, fantasy is the past, urban and political stories are modern and scifi is the future. These are just things human know and adding in magic, high technology or other establoshed tropes. Something like steampunk is a perfect example as it just took the victorian timeperiod (less used among settings) and added high technology.

So the secret is to pick a time/place in human history and add other estblished tropes and elements. Primitive society is interesting, there was an old movie called Quest for Fire that tried it. You could have ancient societies ramped in inteligence by magic or mutation (so no high technology is involved) and deal with how primitive cultures deal with modern concepts of morality, economogy, politics and technology.

Quest for Fire Trailer
youtube.com/watch?v=2pcGGKtPpSE

The only other way to do this would be to take a setting OUTSIDE of human history, but where you begin for that is a bigger question all together.

plase note, this movie is an attempt at a historically accurate primite man... all spitballing about magic and politics is hypotetical.

nothing is the same as anything else, nothing is divorced from anything else, originality is only a matter of degree, not on/off

I have not seen much fictions that really sets itself in void of intergalactic space. I could see that as a setting.

Similarly I don't see multiverse travel as the primary focus get much attention.