Hey /the/, what sort of stuff have you been working on lately?

Hey /the/, what sort of stuff have you been working on lately?

Paint any models? Make any new characters? Writing any adventures or anything?

I've been doing a solo adventure sort've thing for the past couple of days, it's been really interesting, so far.

AAAAAAH! GIANT FUCKING DOGGGG!

bought the new 40k box and i'm gonna paint it up, and i'm gonna run my first dnd game this weekend so i'm pretty happy

I just finished up my fantasy/AoS backlog, now I am going to tackle my 40k backlog of unpainted models

You post one image of a giant dog. People feak out. But the sticky on this board has an image of two giant cats. And no one even cares. What hypocrisy

Been working on 3 settings, reading a variety of systems, and for one of those settings I've been coming up with npcs and adventure ideas (as its the most ready to run).

I've also got plans to look into a system I've recently been introduced to and have ran some one-offs in for its potential to be molded into being able to run a game I've been thinking of for years.

Giant fucking cats aren't likely to actually do anything; maybe find a high sunny building to perch on and nap. Giant fucking dog (especially a giant fucking golden retriever)? Shit's gonna be bad.

>two giant cats
They're not giant cats really, are they? There's nothing to give any sense of scale, while the floating dog head takes up most of a corridor. That's one big fucking terrifying floating dog head.

Been working on terrain for Rogue Stars. It's slow going.

The Tower

Also, have been finishing some Iron Warriors for 30k and painting up some Chaos Cultists for 30k/40k crossovering

plastic monopose guys, a few fantasy weapon swaps to make them look more fun

Exist in state of stress and caffeine, heart feels funny.
Learn gurps.
More stress.
Learn COBOL.

Making my fantasy heartbreaker and trying to muster the courage to start my blog.

Got the Dark Imperium box too. Nurgle guys are comin' out fresh. You going with standard Death Guard green or doing your own thing?

Im working on a setting and a plot for a new game Im going to run sometime this fall. I recently broke up my old group and its been like getting a haircut after six months lost in the woods.

Almost done with my 2nd 5e campaign. We're trapped in an alternate dimension owned by an entity called the Nameless King. He's trapped there too, and he rigged the system to where if any of us return to Earth, he breaks free.

We're still trying to figure out how to kill him, since he can't be wounded by conventional means.

Is learning 5e worth it? I used to be a 3aboo back before 4th and Ive wandered a bit since then learning a bunch of different systems. I looked into it a bit and now that Im a decade older I just dont feel like I want to spend the time getting into a game thats so heavily focused on combat. Is there something Im missing?

Slowly painting up a tactical squad of marines after getting back into 40k properly for the first time in about 7 years. Definitely better than I used to be, feels good to be making the most of my money rather than just slapping a few paints on the model to play as quickly as possible.

Currently waiting on my players to have a free moment to do our second session of D&D. They're all new players so it's quite fun watching them experience fantasy tropes for the first time. Life is good.

Do they "get" the idea of roleplaying? I started a new group of greenhorns and none of them seem to understand the separation between in and out of character information. Im wondering whether they're just new or excessively sub-par.

I'm pretty new to roleplaying in general (mostly played 40k and Battletech up to this point) and a friend basically said "hey, wanna learn DnD?" I'm pretty much here to test the waters.

Haven't done much research. Any other systems you recommend?

Two of them come from an acting background so they're kind of used to it. I explained the IC/OOC thing to them all before the first session, about how if I say "Leif, you notice the writing in orcish on the wall saying "Treasure ahead" " means that only Leif knows that information, despite the fact you guys all heard it. Until he's shared in IC, you don't know. They seem to have gotten it. One of the guys I'm worried will end up becoming a bit of a power gamer (economics student with a background in WoW) but we'll see what happens. Overall it's just a nice way for them to play around in character, they seem to be enjoying it. I'd just say use examples of IC/OOC differences, should help them. Also make clear it's fun sometimes for your characters to not know something.

Depends on what you enjoy. Personally Ive been playing so long that crunch no longer does a ton for me, so I like really light and flavorful systems like Barbarians of Lemuria, which in my opinion is the best made ttrpg from a design perspective. There are a few things Id fix, but its a masterfully made game.

Yeah, Ive tried workshopping it a lot, and while a couple players seem to get it, the other half of the groups doesnt. Basically, they're stuck in this mode where they do everything ooc so everything takes twice as much time. They get information, discuss it heavily ooc, then have to implement it IC instead of just skipping the middleman and planning IC.

In sessions where not everybody could show up, we played Dread and Paranoia, which I'm pretty sure Veeky Forums dislikes, but they're fun for just wasting an hour or so. I kind of like the Jenga tower tension build and how unpredictable Paranoia tends to be.

That's a pain, but they're half way there. Maybe tell them to limit OOC discussions unless they're discussing something unrelated to their characters? As much as I hate using them, I know a few systems offer incentives for staying in character like fate points and the like. You could always use something like that as a last resort.

If you can play paranoia then you're well ahead of the average starter-player. Id give Barbs a shot if you want, the PDF is pretty easy to find. I would ignore the base setting though, as its really poorly written. Not bad, just boring.

Im running barbs and its pretty anemic on bennies I can give them. Some of them dont seem to understand what good roleplay is. Theres this one player who made a ninja-guy and each time Ive tried to explain consistant roleplay here is what he's come back with as the lesson.
>We should be the good guys
>We should always follow plot hooks
>We should try to figure out what the GM wants us not to do.
>We should take more risks

when the consistant message Im trying to get across (to the point of just saying it several times)
>It doesn't matter what you do, as long as its true to a believable character who's fun to play and learn more about.