/tgesg/ - Weekend Elder Scrolls Lore General

"You'll go no further until you have your papers" edition

>Tabletop/P&P RPGs
[UESRPG - P&P RPG] docs.google.com/document/d/1pTgTN2aJUoY95JtquowagfUJLL7tCQYhzJKcCAcbvio/edit?usp=sharing
[Scrollhammer - Tabletop Wargame] 1d4chan.org/wiki/Scrollhammer_2nd_Edition
Discussion in #Scrollhammer (irc.thisisnotatrueending.com (port 6667))

>Lore Resources
[The Imperial Library] imperial-library.info/
[/r/teslore] reddit.com/r/teslore/
[UESP/Lore] uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Main_Page
[Pocket Guide to the Lore] docs.google.com/document/d/1AtsWXZKVqB4Q825_SwINY6z4_9NaGknXgeOknOCDuCU/edit
[Elder Lore Podcast] elderlore.wordpress.com/
[How to Become a Lore Buff] forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1112211-how-to-become-a-lore-buff/

>General Rules
This is NOT /tesg/ minus waifus, so behave properly.
Keep the squabbling to a minimum.
No waifus/husbandos except for Socucius Ergalla

Previous Kalpa:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=3E-rtnLzdik&t=84s
en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Pocket_Guide_to_the_Empire,_1st_Edition/Cyrodiil
en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:The_Legendary_Sancre_Tor
en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Pocket_Guide_to_the_Empire,_1st_Edition/Skyrim
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Would anyone be interested in a hexographer map of Tamriel?

I'm claiming this thread for the glory of Alkosh.

Go for it.

I like the spacemagic aesthetic

What would be a good setting Morrowind-wise for a multi-man dungeon raid?

Go thank mojonation for that, he's the guy drawing all the future TES

>sunken dwemer ruins inhabited by dreugh
>volcanic lavapits
>burial catacombs overrun with vampires/cultists/ect
>pre-dunmer Velothi caves a la Urshilaku
>a nix-hound burrow
>ex-Dagoth Ur ruins haunted with the spirits of their ash monsters
>nord pirate caves on the coast
>giant insect lair, something hostile not kwamas
>Suran sex dungeon

Kinda generic but sometimes generic is fun

>sunken dwemer ruins inhabited by dreugh
Oooo, I like this one. Could have it be still-coherent dreugh from when they ruled the world.

I like to think that in the Sea of Ghosts there is a huge underwater city the size of Tamriel where Dreughs spend their existence oblivious to other civilisations.

will the Dreughs be playable race in next Elder Scroll game

or Grahl, Goblins, Maomer and ogre

I'd like to see Imga, Reachmen and divided Imperials.

Why there weren't Grahls in Skyrim.

youtube.com/watch?v=3E-rtnLzdik&t=84s
Leave me alone, bosmer

It's gonna be ogres

Nah, it'll be sload.

can somebody translate that in english

Did we miss last week? I kept checking and didn't see the thread but was paranoid about making one myself since every time I've done something like that in the past someone else has made a thread within a minute of me.

>vivec will never take you on brodates to abstract fictional places like the edge of the planet
Without Almalexia Vivec and Sotha Sil would never have betrayed Nerevar and he would just be a great king with the coolest friends, the moral of the story is don't stick your dick in crazy.

>divided Imperials
This imo. Reachmen are still racially Bretons even if they're culturally savages, but Colovians and Nibenese differ heavily in culture, heritage, (traditional) language (judging by name structure) and natural physical traits (most Colovians are almost indistinguishable from Nords, Nibenese look Mediterranean), so they are clearly different races.

We had threads last weeks

Reachmen are even more mixed than Bretons, though.

I only know a few words in Russian, but from what I can understand he's just saying a bunch of rude things to Fargoth ex: "Leave me alone, bosmer" (title), "Go away bosmer" (Ухoди бocмep) and calling him a bitch (Cyкa)

Was it not mentioned that Sotha Sil was the one who studied the tools an found Kagrenac's fault? Even if it wasn't mentioned, it's still the logical conclusion. Almalexia was a psycho whore but without Sotha Sil's knowledge they would have never had a reason to kill Nerevar
Not hating on Seht, he's still the best Tribunal pillar

To be fair, he later renounced the dwemer and called them the cunts they rightfully are.

thank you

Still Ayem's idea, I believe. She was like Nerevar's Gwynevere. I wonder if he had a hot cousin he should have been fucking instead. What if Ayem was, unbeknownst to him, actually his own daughter from a long-forgotten adolescent fling with said cousin, and it was like an even more fucked-up double-incestuous story of King Arthur, wouldn't that be weird, asking for a friend haha

Tell your friend it would be really weird, but her being a fucked up incest baby explains some of her psychopathy at least

Colovians=nordic cyrods, more Akaviri influence and dragon imagery; meat and potato style dishes, thicker clothes made of wool and furs. Emphasis on martial arts and hunting, livestock and vegetable crops; miners, farmers, soldiers; nobles tend to actively work to protect their people.
Nibenese=bretonic cyrods, more Ayleid influence and aedric astronomic imagery; flatbread and fish dishes, light clothing made of silks and linens. Emphasis on arts and craftsmanship, mercantile and administration. Fruit crops, wine and spirits production, lots of writers, entrepeneurs, and wealthy nobles.

You went full retard there at the end.

>flatbread and fish dishes
>Fruit crops, wine and spirits production
or: why the nibenese are the best race

>after saying this it dawns on me that Seht is Merlin and Vivec is Lancelot
holy shit

Last week, we stopped in the "[...]one city in the Imperial Province,[...]" - Cyrod City as well as its people. We'll probably return to it again some time but today, I thought it's time to cross the Talos bridge and see what's up on the mainland.
Right across the bridge lies Weye. The city’s name supposedly comes from an old Nedic world for wheat but today, Weye is much more famous for being the main connection between the great City to the east and the ricefields in the floodlands to the west. Many consider it as merely an appendage of Cyrod City, its mainland district and it’s true that its population gravitates more towards the City than the mainland Heartlands. After all, the city formed around but a small fishing village that saw considerable migration. As people came from Colovia, from the Weald and from other parts of the Heartlands, many decided to remain on the mainland and the original inhabitants soon became lost in the crowd.
As any rural Heartlander will tell you, the true Heartlands begin as one leaves Weye. The Heartlands are a vast region surrounding Lake Rumare. It is characterised by being composed mostly of fields and compact villages and bordered on all sides by jungle. Truly, had it not been for man, the land would simply be covered in more trees but through centuries of labour, the Heartlanders fought nature to claim these fertile lands.
Towards the north and the west, the land gradually rises. The people, too, take on more rugged characteristics; in the west they have mingled with the Colovians, in the north with the Cyro-Nordic Brumans. Towards the east and the south, they have been in constant contact with the Nibeneans, who they see as their closest kin. The Heartlanders live as farmers in villages dotted all around the countryside as well as in cities and fishing villages on the coast of Rumare; there, most live the life of fishing as well as perusing various crafts.

Does that mean Nerevar looks and sounds like Richard Harris?

>Colovians=nordic cyrods, more Akaviri influence and dragon imagery
I agree on the first part but I'm not so sure on the Akaviri influence. I thought there's mentions of Nibenean nobles taking pride in their Akaviri blood
>Nibenese=bretonic cyrods
Bretonic? I'd say native Cyrods.

He probably means "colovians that fucked ayleids produced them."

>He probably means "colovians that fucked ayleids produced them."
Sort of this. Take the nedic peoples, let generations of Ayleids MER their shit up and you get Nibenese.
Bretons are the result of Direnni/Altmeric elf interbreeding, so the Nibenese would resemble them more than they would the Nords, whom the Colovians would closely resemble.
I'd think the Colovians would take some Akaviri influence considering Cloud Ruler Temple and the Akaviri fort up that way, and the Akaviri invaded through Skyrim.
You pretty much have the mediterranean-esque dark skinned cyrods in the south and the northern italy, romanized-barbarian cyrods in the north.

2bh leaving out this divide, one of the biggest pieces of Cyrod lore, is the reason I have refused to ever play Oblivion.

If you install Unique Landscapes it gets better looking, it definitely looks more lived in with atmospheric ruins and farms and shit. Not a jungle, but at this point I'm kind of over being pissy about that change in the lore.

I'd like to see the divide shown in-game and all but I always thought it would be more fun to see the two groups divided even further into subgroups and possibly add some minor groups that belong to neither

Colovian sphere
>(standard) Colovian
>North Colovians (Colo-Nords)
>Abeceans (Gold Coast Colo-Nedes)
>Wolders (West Weald Colo-Nedes) - possibly independent

Nibenean sphere
>Heartlanders
>(standard) Nibeneans
>Deep Nibeneans (deep jungle, Valus Mountains)
>Cheydin Nibeneans
>South Nibeneans (Topal Bay, Blackwood)

Independent
>Brumans (Cyro-Nords)
>various surviving Nedic tribes

And am I the only who thought the influence of Nords on the Colovians was more a fusion of the two cultures and less about the Nords coming down south and mixing with the Nedes? I see it more like the Normans coming to England, taking rule over the Anglo-Saxons and influencing them that way. Basically, Nordic warriors granted lands in Colovia and ruling over the Nedes.
The Nibeneans would probably not all be mixed with Ayleids, either. Considering they are famous for their thousand different cults, I like to imagine them being divided among tribal and cultural lines as well - a plethora of little communities that can barely understand each other. Basically a South China except with mages and actual river dragons.

I'm not all that mad about the lack of jungle, since there's still plenty of swamp. I think most people are mad that the distinct cultures got dropped by the wayside, in favor of vague differences from city to city that don't even really require different kinds of clothing or practices.

At least Oblivion is 'alright' as a game. Not amazing, it has flaws, but it has a little more than Skryim did in terms of stats and magic.

We got "chim" as a reason for the landscape, but did we ever get an excuse for the (lack of) cultures?

There wasn't much but there were some little bits and pieces, like the info in a loading screen about Bruma having a Nibenean influence (although I didn't really see it, it just seemed Nordic) but it was more general than divided into two cultural spheres. Apart from the already mentioned Bruma, Anvil obviously had its own style and Cheydinhal was influenced by Dunmer culture for some reason. They talked about Colovians and Nibeneans in some dialogue but that was basically the extent of it.

Except the Colovians are derived from the Nibenese.
>And Talos said to the Arctus, "Let us join as one to fortify this throne, this land, these people, each one glorious under heaven!"

>love our bitter coast striders
This is the weirdest part. Because cliffracers and striders are established in game to be absolutely soulless monsters that literally kidnap children and hide them in giant piles of shit.

Are they, though? It seems to me like they're a different group of Cyrodils

Have you considered the fact that ESO is trash?

Golly user, what a unique revelation!

Nope. It gave us the wonder of guns.

It is amusing how all the endgame content is gods, evil priests, superpowered daedra.
And here's Sotha Sil, who will just shoot you with a fucking gun.

What if Thetys Ramarys is an absolutely soulless monster that literally kidnaps children and hides them in giant piles of shit?

His trial is the hardest content in the game by far. And it's just his basement. Like the actual basement of the clockwork city. Full of his old junk. You fight the janitor at one point while it's trying to clean.

She's from Balmora and is probably of House Hlaalu, so I wouldn't put it past her.

>You fight the janitor at one point while it's trying to clean.
Does it have a robot broom?

Better, it's his roomba. Other intense fights include such foes as
>two magnets
>his old laptop
>some piles of junk

Yes
>It was in the rain forests of the Nibenay Valley that the original Cyro-Nordic tribes, the Nibenese, learned a self-reliance that separated them culturally and economically from Skyrim
>The West is respected as Cyrodiil's iron hand: firm, unwavering, and ever-vigilant. The Cyro-Nords that settled it had relinquished the fertile Nibenay Valley long ago, determined to conquer the frontier.
>After they had captured the Nedic port-cities of the Strident coast, the Westerners embarked on a mastery of the sea
en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Pocket_Guide_to_the_Empire,_1st_Edition/Cyrodiil

Basically here is how it went down.
The 'Nedes' were the original inhabitants (though this is really a catch-all term for any early human tribe in Cyrodiil, the Nedic peoples varied drastically). Occasionally Nedes would get raped by Ayleids but this was nowhere near as common as was seen in High Rock, and so bare only a meager, negligible, relation to elves.
Alessian revolt begins and the Nedes are set free, the Nords (and apparently some Bretons) settle in Nibenay and are assimilated into the native culture, becoming the Cyro-Nordic tribal peoples who would eventually congeal into the Nibenese culture.
One Cyro-Nordic group departed from Nibenay to conquer the frontier, subduing the Western Nedes and settling there to become the Colovians.

Eeeeeh. The term "Cyro-Nords" is more of a misnomer and the result of the hotly debated Out of Atmora theory. Both Colovians and the Nibenese are descended from the Nedes. The Nordic warlords who helped during the Rebellion were given land in what would be Colovia.

The PGE's a bit wonky; it claims Nibeneans are Cyro-Nordic when they're probably just another Nedic group and the text is following the Nordic agenda.
Where did you find the Nords settling in Nibenay? I'm pretty sure they helped Alessia, then settled in the west.

can i get stuff that i can use in uesrpg campaing in roll20

>Sotha Sil has a gun
W-what?

You both don't seem to understand what a 'Cyro-Nord' is. They are not Nords who settled in Cyrodiil, they are the resulting progeny of Nords who interbred with the indigenous population. Obviously it is true that not all humans are descended from Nords, I never even implied such a thing. But the Cyro-Nords are a group that definitely existed and came to replace the proper Nedes of Cyrodiil.

>Where did you find the Nords settling in Nibenay

>Once settled among the victorious Alessian Cyrodiils, the Nord and Breton warriors and battlemages were quickly assimilated into the comfortable and prosperous Nibenean culture
en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:The_Legendary_Sancre_Tor
>Within a span of fifty years, Skyrim ruled all of northern Tamriel, including most of present-day High Rock, a deep stretch of the Nibenay Valley, and the whole of Morrowind
en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Pocket_Guide_to_the_Empire,_1st_Edition/Skyrim

After the Alessian revolt the Nords ruled Nibenay for a while, this is the 'Cyro-Nordic' period in which we see the Nibenese culture develop over the scattered, tribal Nedes and absorb the settled Nordic population.

It's more appropriate to say that both modern day Cyrodilic cultures are descended from the same source than one from the other.

Also, unless I'm mixing things up, the PGE1 only uses the term Cyro-Nords in reference to the mistaken belief that the Nedes are early Atmoran settlers. But that's just semantics.

Yeah. A straight up glock. That's how they killed Nerevar. When they fought Dagoth he straight up iced that motherfucker.

>They made ritual as if to summon Azura as Nerevar wanted but Almalexia used poisoned candles and Vivec used poisoned invocations and Sotha Sil used a glock. Nerevar was murdered.

>It's more appropriate to say that both modern day Cyrodilic cultures are descended from the same source than one from the other
You are right, the Nibenese culture wasn't completely developed by the time the Cyro-Nords had settled the West. The point I am more or less making is that the Colovians came from the East.
>Also, unless I'm mixing things up, the PGE1 only uses the term Cyro-Nords in reference to the mistaken belief that the Nedes are early Atmoran settlers
Nope, read this quote again.
>the Cyro-Nords that settled it had relinquished the fertile Nibenay Valley long ago, determined to conquer the frontier. Their primitive ferocity was disinclined to magic or the need for industry, preferring bloody engagement and plunder instead. After they had captured the Nedic port-cities of the Strident coast, the Westerners embarked on a mastery of the sea
The quote makes a distinction between the Cyro-Nords and the indigenous Western Nedes. The Cyro-Nords are the resulting admixture of proto-Cyrodiils and Nords which formed in Nibenay.

>guns

I'm sorry, I have to leave.

>but guns in fantasy aren't bad-

Not with this fantasy. Not this. Magic space ships and robot knights and lasers that math you out of existance I can handle, but a gun?! For shame.

I know right, what the fuck were they thinking.

There's no use arguing with him, just filter the name and carry on.

I'm being half-serious, but really...I know that the Elder Scrolls has some science fantasy shit behind it, it's in the lore. And I'm pretty sure that even ESO is trying its hardest to hide the glocks and laptops and roombas behind some level of fantasy and magic and stuff. I can't screech and say that it's not-canon or they're horrible for doing it at all, because they have a basis in the lore.

But most of the super almost-science stuff was kept in the background, in the near-mythical First Era or by the time of c0da. And it wasn't treated like tech, not how we treat it, but more like magic - and even when it was treated like tech it had a whole bunch of silly words involved to make it feel archaic or just different. It is jarring to have it be approached in such an up front manner, and honestly comes off as a little uncreative. Maybe it's just because of how it was told, but even if I was planning on playing ESO, now I wouldn't enjoy that quest, because now all I'd be able to see is the roomba, the glock, the laptop. Instead of seeing the fantasy things and realizing what real things they're like, now I see the real things and realize they're cheap fantasy recreations thereof, you know?

>that imperial guard
imagine that motherfucker teleporting behind you and locking you in a literal cell of magic power with his staff before he tells you to stop right there, criminal scum

What faces would adorn the Mount Rushmore of Tamriel?

18 vivecs

Just so you know, trainfag is just being a lying shit, there is nothing in the trial that resembles roombas, laptops or glocks, the only one of those that could fit that delusional madman ramblings is the cannon-arm some creatures have(pic related).

I think it's less "lying shit" and more the interpretation of their niche in more relate-able terms to make him appear interesting.
Like gross oversimplification to demonstrate his "knowledge" on the topic.

Morihuas, Pelinal, and Alessia
I've just always really wanted for their to be massive sculptures of these three

Hello /tgesg/

It has become time for our next release: The Scroll of Thu'um which can be found by following the first link in the OP and opening the Game File Downloads link within.

It contains all the rules you need to implement The Voice into your game. Not only have we remade the rules for being a Tongue for Third edition, but we have implemented several new features as well.

New talents have been added to expand upon your abilities as a Tongue, not just how many shouts you can do.

Legendary Shouts have been implemented as well, a group of shouts with unique abilities on par with the ancient Tongues of old.

Rules for the Dragon priest and their horde of terrifying Draugr are included as well to provide some worthy foes for the players to test their mettle!

Lastly, rules for uniquely enchanted artifacts known as Gron-Sik, a rope made of tied tongues imbued with Speech, have been included to give the Tongues a new way of unleashing their fury.

The next scroll up for release is the Undead, which will contain all you need to implement those sansy undead and their spook into your game.

I'm liking all this progress - I can't say I'm that excited for shouts, but the fact that you're adding some more depth to them is interesting, especially with the Gron-Sik (is there a lore basis for it? I know Gron means 'bind').

The divide between Colovia and Nibenay is pretty distinct though. Colovia is full of idyllic forests, rolling golden hills and jagged mountains and cliffs, Nibenay is rivers, shady swamps and darker, more foreboding forests. Colovians also have names like Cuchullain Slavinof while the Nibenese have names like Septimus Julius, though more of the latter exist for sure (probably hearkening back to Morrowind where there wasn't much distinction and they all had Nibenese-style names).

Of course the Weye thing isn't expressed very well, but then the Imperial City also no longer sprung up from a human fishing village- It's an enormous Ayleid temple that was conquered and inhabited as a city, so at best it sprung up from a very ancient Ayleid fishing village (which is still probable given its location).

>The Nibeneans would probably not all be mixed with Ayleids, either. Considering they are famous for their thousand different cults, I like to imagine them being divided among tribal and cultural lines as well - a plethora of little communities that can barely understand each other. Basically a South China except with mages and actual river dragons.
It's funny that you say those two things in conjunction, considering that is exactly what Ayleid culture was like for the most part. Of course, not even the Ayleids mixed with the (other) Ayleids in those cases, so the Nibenese wouldn't in that case either.

>but did we ever get an excuse for the (lack of) cultures?
There isn't a lack, it just isn't super-distinct. Same way basically everything in Morrowind and Skyrim is seriously downplayed, and hampered by almost every quest being a fetch quest or boss assassination with little actual lore or intrigue attached. Oblivion is actually the best in the series for what the series excels in imo (telling stories through quests, being comfy to walk around, having great lore and being a slate for mods), and as with Daggerfall going into Morrowind, some of the cuts or "streamlinings" were puzzling and unnecessary and kind of a bad thing but nothing essential was cut, unlike attributes and athletics in Skyrim.

Given New Vegas obviously made BGS realise that games where speech is a powerful skill are fucking cool, given that it is basically the MOST powerful skill in FO4 after being about as useless as in TES in 3, I hope the next ES has good speech abilities but I know they'll probably just cut the skill instead :^)

Good point. Nothing is below a Hlaalu.

Weren't there ACTUAL guns as well as artillery in Redguard? Never played it myself but I seem to recall watching part of it where Cyrus kept getting fucking ruined by musketeer skeletons or something.

There were cannons. Not anything else.

I can't find anything for it - literally all I've managed to find so far is a jokebook from Daggerfall that mentions ships having cannons.

>Why was the Sentinel army so useless during the War of Betony?
>The cannons were too heavy, so all three garbage scows sunk.

That's a pretty good joke though. All those layers tell us a lot of lore.
>Sentinel's military was small and primarily Navy
>Sentinel loaded even their least relevant ships to the teeth
>Sentinel had cannons
Neat stuff.

What's the story with Elinhir? It's supposedly a Crown city but I always thought it'd be place where Redguard and Colovian cultures comes together.

>Cuchullain Slavinof
Celtic and eastern European? TES naming conventions are such a shitshow

>mephala-mantling backstabbing whore would never backstab anyone if some chick wouldn't ask him to

Yes, they are celtic and eastern european. That's an exaggerated example, rather than an actual one (obviously). The only race that is close to 1:1 with a real life culture is Nord. Or rather, was. Real Nords don't have to masturbate while thinking of dragons every night to sleep and shape all their food like little dragons or they puke it up, but then neither did Elder Scrolls Nords before Skyrim.

Mephala is a liar and a manipulator, not a backstabber really. Boethiah on the other hand...

>trainfag is just being a lying shit
Of course he is. He's the biggest ESO shill I've ever seen, and just last week or so he was shilling for paid mods.
Why people even listen to the guy is beyond me.

>Undead
Hype.

>manipulator
That only proves if anyone would get manipulated to murder Nerevar, it wouldn't be Vivec.
(Also, in Skyrim the Ebony Blade gets stronger every time you backstab someone, though, of course, it's Skyrim).

>ebony blade
>the ebony in it was mined in pyandonea, literally as far as possible from Red Mountain
thanks skyrim

Anyone got any more maps like this?

Bringing this over here because last thread was archived shortly after I posted this.

Does anybody else feel that Orcs who grew up in close proximity to Breton society should speak with Cockney accents?
Furthermore, I'm thinking there should be 3 types of Orc factions in High Rock.
1:
>Very primitive hunter-gatherer tribes who live far away from civilized society and only speak Orcish. They don't have many of the skills of their more advanced brethren, they simply wear animal hides and bones as armor and clothes.
2:
>Slightly more advanced and Tolkien-esque all-Orc bandit clans. They can mine and smith, but to a limited extent due to their ways, so they generally rely on raiding and pillaging to get what they want/need. Therefore, the armor they wear generally has the Orcish motif, but is mostly plates of iron/steel crudely strapped on over fur/leather under-clothing. They mostly speak Orcish, but can also talk Common Tamrielic in varying degrees.
3:
>Orsinium, Skyrim-style strongholds, and Orcs assimilated into Breton society.

Are you a fan of Arcanum or something.

At a glance, looks gay.

Sounds kind of boring.

You know what I said about swinefaces last time you asked

Might be cool though. Reminds me of Fallout 1 & 2 when I look at it.

I once found a copy of "The Pig Children" on an Orc in Skyrim.

The name for it is made up as it didn't have any specific name in the lore.
I chose to call it a Gron-Sik, meaning (hopefully, though I admit I'm not an expert in Draconic) "To Tie/Bind Words" because it felt fitting of its function.
The concept behind it is based on lore from the book 'Children of the Sky'.
Specifically the following lines from it:
"When they defeat great enemies they take their tongues as trophies. These are woven into ropes and can hold speech like an enchantment."