Veeky Forums is Hc Svnt Dracones actually a good game?

Veeky Forums is Hc Svnt Dracones actually a good game?
I've been told its good except for the moral system for determining enemy retreating being completely unnecessary.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=WP3qkjeOHrA&t=0s
actualplay.roleplayingpublicradio.com/?s=Hc Svnt Dracones
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I meant to organize a game but work schedule made that not work out.

Supposedly the economic skills are a trap. I know for a fact that calculating your wealth growth is a pain in the ass.

Maybe the upcoming 2nd ed will stream that as well?

bump

It's a furry heartbreaker of Eclipse Phase with some interesting but wonky mechanics and lore, and a weird, weird baked in political view. Like it's the only thing I've ever seen that is unironically pro cyberpunk style megacorp. Like a lot of the setting background is about how cool being a corpserf is.

Yeah, the lore for the game is kinda shit. My plan was to basically ignore most of it wholesale if I ever ran a game for it, maybe run a group of junkers off one of Jupiter's moons, which would give an excuse to fuck around with TTI and all their weird tech.

The weird 'yay megacorps' thing was probably an over-correction for the kind of stuff you see in Shadowrun, where the megacorps are so callous that it crosses into retardation.

I like the robots.

It's basically furry Eclipse Phase but leaning hardcore towards libertarian "the free market is god, corporations are our friends!" instead and with an awful ruleset.

>Taurs

I get so irrationally angry at these things. It's a god damn travesty of poor efficiency in everything.

>Take up more space
>Larger target
>Much more difficult to mass produce equipment for
>Looks fucking stupid
>Impossible to stuff a drop shit with them because their bodies are fucking stupid god damn fuck
>"But they can hold bigger weapons"
>"So can a fucking tank or better yet just an unmanned robot with a more ergonomic shape."

Fuck this system I don't even know what it is.

>tfw you're a huge furry and a transhumanist and this game is still so shit you can't enjoy it

kill me

What the fuck is going on with that...racoon? It's head looks broken

But yeah, the cogs or whatever look neat. A lot of them give me a kind of MGS B&B unit vibe

Forgot pic

I'm more concerned with the "awful rule set." I keep hearing that 2nd ed is stream lining shit but the game has my interest after seeing my RPG review show I watch bring it up.

Well they can pick up a lance and charge like kn- Oh, right this is a cyper punk game. I don't know maybe they strap fucking mini to their sides? I honestly I have no idea why they're in this game other than "Cuz furries."

One day user you'll have your day.

"Racoon" Sir, I believe the proper term is "trash panda" But the 2nd and 4th ones in that pic user are fucking beautiful

i remember reading how this worked and couldnt make sense of the different attributes. it was confusing.

Liked the evil owl abomination stuff, and living blood monsters.

shame too, since I like scifi and I like anthro stuff.

It's got a lot going and a lot of stuff that I guess is supposed to be adventure hooks but mostly just seem kind of bizarre and nonsensical and a little jarring. The whatever is going on with earth, the cthulhu whales on europa, the 'whoops we blew up Phobos here's a space mall".

Oh heavens no.

The Ledger stats make no sense and are pathetically easy to minmax, races and equipment are unbalanced as fuck, combat is way overcomplicated and has such high points as ranged combat depending on Mind:Acuity (the stat for pattern recognition and code-breaking) and no way to defend against melee attacks by RAW, and the trascendent implants system is one huge trap that will fuck you and the entire party over when you need it.

Even without the retarded libetarian crap it's still a steaming shitpile of a system.

I DMed this shit for an entire year and half right now and, let me tell you. It is crap and a pain in the ass. Combat system is totally broken and the ledger ruleset is confusing, shallow as a puddle and, worse for that, a trap option.

Appart of that, the limit of the money you can spend in each kind of item was laughable. My players' party were a soldier, a medic and a "social" technician. Only one could make total use of his starting wealth because it is divided into "weapons", "armor" and "items". While the others too couldn't have all the basic equipment neccesary for their job. I had to loosely ruleset that "weapons" as "tools for your job/class" because it was a little stupid. Anyways, that limit of what you could spend in your starting wealth until second gaming session was stupid. Most of the ROLLplayers will just burn all the money in the second gaming session, like they would have done in character creation if they could.

Combat is overcomplicated and so easily exploitable it isn't even funny. By RAW, a group of armored mercenaries won't never attempt to flee. Mainly because you are immune to "moral damage" as long as you are wearing any armor. Looking how damage can scalate in this game, I can tell you that, most than you would like it, destroying the armor of someone ends with that someone dying too (which is a little logical, of course). So, they will never survive to take moral damage and you will just "roleplay it out" depending of how you feel the situation. Cover had a convoluted system where you waste actions and aiming in order to improve your bonus defense. Theorically, intended for those situations where you just poke out your gun and shoot blindly, I guess. Rules which were a waste because, since there is no attacks of opportunity as a concept by RAW, you could just run around enemy cover and blow out hundreds of damage points (starting heal is 20, btw).

In fact, the community resolved into emulating XCom's combat rules in order to fix that part of the game. Using just the setting to roleplay around.

But, wanna know what is it the funniest thing about all this? The game has almost become a miniature game. The creator isn't focusing into such promised second edition, or any fix for the first one altogether, but into farting more and more furry miniatures. Sometimes, I can't get out of my head the idea that the rpg game was just a bridge to sell those miniatures to sperg lords.

I guess Albedo is still the number one anthropomorphic science fiction game?

Probably. Myriad Song is actually not too bad either, because it's made by the same guys who did Ironclaw 2e and uses pretty much the exact same mechanics (even a little cleaned up). It's not strictly anthropomorphic though, but you could probably port over the Ironclaw species pretty easily if you wanted to.

The art is also god awful, as is the general aesthetic of the book. Reading that curly blue header font makes me sick.

This is probably the worst font I've ever seen in an RPG book.

>

I actually got to listen to a playthrough on RPPR but the campaign kind of went off the rails pretty quickly. I don't know, I could link to it if anyone is interested.

>4 legs and, not carrying a heavy weapons
> 0/10 mini
Yea user give me the link.

youtube.com/watch?v=WP3qkjeOHrA&t=0s

A review on first edition

CHAINSAW LEG

actualplay.roleplayingpublicradio.com/?s=Hc Svnt Dracones

Thanks user.

Cyperpunk/sci-fi with anthros wouldn't even be bad if they used them as a way to push themes of degeneration of morality and general dehumanisation.

>Like a lot of the setting background is about how cool being a corpserf is.

Corporate Samurai is such a schway aesthetic tho

It's weird because they seem to make sound the like the corporations care about your personal well being and acknowledge things like rights (especially for the synths).

I just can for the life of me ever imagine a corporate ever giving a shit about that sort of thing given half the level of power

Is this the pre-fall furry add-on to eclipse phase?

My nigga. I'm writing a biopunk game atm where the human genome has basically ceased to exist, and new lifeforms are custom-created on new templates with specific clades that have broken society into a thousand thousand fragments with entirely different moral and philosophical outlooks based on their new biology.

I just have not been able to explain it to people without the term anthro, and then they jump immediately to furry.

Give them All Tomorrows instead

No, it's the ancap furry rip-off of Eclipse Phase.

It looks exactly what I'd expect the degenerate pre-fall earth to look like just before the Titan AI's cleansed the planet of the Sodom/Gomorrah filth.

It's a good document, I just can't whip out 100 pages when someone says, "but will there be yiffing?" I have a hard enough time convincing my players to read a 3 page setting document/rules summary.

t. Jovian

Just take a picture from it and say "do you really think you can yiff this"

>tags: multibreast, multicock, vagina_mouth, vagina_nipples, tentacles, living_gasm_drive

Yiff status: All Green

Fine, make everybody an inhuman machine-thing. How does that sound?

From what I heard, the best way to play is to max out Economy, buy a suit of power armour and the biggest gun, and just play as Furry iron Man.

I see three holes already. We can do this.

Hey at least we're not living in orbit around the synagogue of satan I mean saturn

I'm sure that hexagon is just a (((coincidence))), and the commonwealth of goody-two-shoes has everyone's best interests in mind.

Your game sound neat. Could you elaborate?

>tag: not_furry, living_machine, multi_anus, animate_inanimate

Yiff status: technically not yiffing but we're going to stick our knotted hermcocks into it anyway

Conceptually? The broad strokes are that, for various reasons, humans in the mid-late 20th century didn't pursue computer sciences as vigorously as they did in our world, instead focusing more on biology and materials science, leading to breakthroughs in stuff like mass-production of synovial fluid (which is what makes joints near-frictionless), mapping neuron behaviour, and producing energy from algae and other cells. Biomedical engineering became the forefront of development, and organic parts were integrated into machines. We got to space slower, but by the timewe did we had already become capable of (at least crudely) genome modification to design beings more capable of surviving in that environment, instead of falling apart like current astronauts denied things like proper gravity, so prolonged exploration and expansion came more quickly.

In the modern timeline, metabeings have spread and established themselves in the asteroid belt, through a large network of sealed tunnels on Mars (the surface is livable by certain beings), and on Venus, with some travelling beyond to Io. There is also a large transient population that lives aboard ships, harvesting and redistributing various resources. The merger between organic and inorganic is almost indistinguishable, so that ships have fusion engines and chlorophyll on the hull, information storage is essentially carrying around tiny brains in cases and binding the nerves together, etc. Meanwhile, metabeings have diversified, with genome modification during a lifespan common, and natural procreation a statement rather than the natural order of things.

Metabeings pull together in small tribal structures, and tend to identify themselves through certain characteristics (one clade might all have oversized ears with beryllium rod piercings, another prefers bright blue plumage on their chests). Strong group dynamics are common, such as various ships, sections of the Martian tunnels, etc. having living brains that report on their condition via moaning not unlike whale song, which only those who know the language can decipher (and from which they can know information from current weather conditions to a sickness spreading).

Mechancially it's based on Fireborn (another reason for furry accusations) because I like that system's setup for being part of a tight-knit group, and the free-flowing nature of aspects. You can commit to an action for more dice, or have someone else commit on your behalf, and whoever is committed is exposed to the fallout and follow-up.

Pretty neat, user. Anyone else keep reading metabeing as meatbeing, though?

I'm not super-thrilled with metabeing as a term either (though meatbeing does have a nice ring to it), but it was the best of a number that I tossed through looking for something that could encompass personhood in all it's forms and complexity.

user you best stay around. Something tells me you might be a shining beacon of hope in these threads. We shall call you NiggAnon

neat