ITT: That mechanic though

ITT: That mechanic though

Make up an item, creature, spell, or whatever with a clever and unique mechanic.

A sword made from magical crystal shards. You Get a damage bonus but each time you hit an enemy it shatters and the crystals have to spend a turn coming back together.

It would be helpful if you defined whether you're talking about a diagetic or non-diagetic mechanic

>a diagetic or non-diagetic mechanic

A what now

>diagetic
A mechanic that exists in the game-world internally, or a mechanic that exists, but only when seen from outside the game world (i.e. a metagame exploit)

For instance, Sneak attack is a diagetic mechanic, it's internal to the game world. Rogues are aware of it, and make use of it.

Meanwhile, stacking a set of feats to be awesome with basic attacks is an out-of-game exploit. It's there, but not internalized.

Or, a better example, in a videogame RPG, knowing that the random encounters only trigger when the microsecond timer ends in 9, so you move jerkily across the screen and if you do this well, you never face a random encounter (you only move when the time is "safe"). It's an exploit, that is out of the game.

Or see Zelda Ocarina of Time super sliding. Exploit mechanic.

Diagetic, if I'm understanding it correctly. Some history and flavor would be nice. I'm looking to understand its interface between other things. I want to understand it's relationship to other "elements" of its reality. Its science. I want to steer away from interacting via "brands", "cultures" and specific identities as much as possible*.
I'm trying to find a good common ground for the collective imagination of people.
Maybe I'm bias, maybe certain things are time sensitive, but there needs to be a universal memetic quality. I say universal, but that doesn't really mean something that's universally relevant to our reality itself. I mean something that's universally relevant to our imaginations.

Unfortunately, in this instance time is a tricky one. It's a strange combination of it not being supported by the basic rules of the game & because of its importance.
Time cards actually don't interface with cards of the physical plane very often. There aren't planes, that's just one way to group them. Time cards interface with cards of other dimensions very rarely, in fact. Time cards exist purely for their concept, and the reason they are above most cards is more of a conceptual hierarchical thing.

*I think about if meme's were to find their way into this table top war. What symbol would represent a class of memes? Meme's would reck the meta-game in a good way. They would justifiably be in a class of their own.

oh. Yeah. I was working on that post for a while. My bad, thanks

>Since I forgot to attach this image
Clock Face
(Clock)(Eye)(Clock)
May cast a |Clock| onto any stack

Fucking forgot the image again.

Lapse
|Clock|
Summon Lapse with 0 or any number of held |Clock|s
Consumes: 1 Clock at the end of your turn. Otherwise: Bury this card.
Remove 1 |clock| from any stack's pocket* for every |clock| you reveal from your hand.
When Lapse is effected by a |manifold|, after the effect, rotate Lapse.

Temporal Haven
[[ Clock ]][[ Clock ]][[ Clock ]]
Burry a clock from your hand to the field underneath this card.
Before any cards effect, this card may flip a |Clock| face up
"Take a step outside of time"

Soul cutters

A type of weapon favored by witch hunters and mage killers, the blade passes harmlessly through armor and flesh, doing damage to the targets mystical stats(mana, soul, whatever) rather than HP.

Well. Interesting. It targets the resource. Wow. I should have read that first.

I fucked up my mock up anyway.
It burries |evil||soul| creatures. I am gonna draw a pitchfork for now for evil. Ki fucked up the gengar glyph icon i wanted to make

A "Soul Gun".

A hand cannon that utterly shreds anything remotely supernatural and hits like a truck otherwise.

It doesn't take any ammunition and requires the user to have killed at least one sentient being to fire one round. The more lives taken within x-number of combat rounds, the more powerful the next shot

Need some real clever font and glyph design to make this right. Thats a selector for all evil passive cards. Triangle up. Triangle down. And diamond

Overpower (Exile a card that shares a name with this spell as it is cast from your hand: This spell can't be countered by spells or abilities).

If you die in the game, your cat dies in real life

Elders memorial golem

Spirit meta
Earth material
Mecha

Can flip itself when holding passive orpositive soul .
Bury target stack top item card and push back face card.

Same guy .Op here

I am not looking for people to know my rules i just want concepts. You can use rules from another game if you want. I can translate concepts pretty well.

Ritual bath house
Alter building

Multiply technique's alter meta by 3 before using it. Burry that card.

Interrupt .burry that shit

Geni eater
Capture any geni

I've always been perplexed by this particular one. Does velocity matter at all when you're cutting something immaterial AND it's passing through solid matter? What happens if you just leave the sword in the middle of someone and like slosh it around, does it do "NES game"-style rapid life drain with a touch OR does it just do nothing because you're not actively attacking with it?

The idea of draining someone of mystical magic fuel is interesting but it's hard to pair up with something as barbaric/mundane as brawling.

Imagine the energy vein anatomy stitched to the bio anatomy. So it has a feint physical gradient bridge connection. The more you stretch this stitching away the less the anatomy can ground the mana reserves

blah blah blah
not duplicate
Glimpse of the Devil Dragon's Wrath
[evil]
Can only be cast against |holy|

>saging... just gonna keep a log here and glean off of other threads. Trying to flush this out.

Camper Keeper
(dream){dreams}{clock}{dreams}(dream)
-Invoke {dream}'s ability with any (face) with dream-interface set to Camper Keeper.
>this is dream-zombi mind control
"... you do not know the fabric of dreams ..."

One important idea is that this game is kind of like chess. There are some pieces that can hit each other. Some that can not. Most can. Most can interface with one another. There will not always be a fair closed loop.
You carry your "official cards". You play others to find clues to know who to play in an official match next. The game evolves with the cultures injected into it. The glyphs are on a board all on their own, but most can't see it. The glyphs are nodes waging war over language. Your only goal should be to master the language. Finalize the game when you've set the state of the boards according to your own alignment.

Well for me, my favorite mechanics are time-travel related, even when done poorly.

A) Time Travel self-companion. In a fight, you fight the foe. If you survive, you go back in time, and help yourself fight him 2v1. You also know when to tell yourself to dodge, or the foe's basic strategy and can plan around it. You survive, and go back in time and help with a third person, and a fourth, before you time-swarm-fight the foe. Powerful effect, but risky, because any injury you suffer (or death) cascades across the many future you.

B) Stuck at an obstacle (a locked door). You need the key, but can't get it now. Time travel, get the key when it's easier, place it near your location. Current time -> Acquire the time-cached key. Tada!

Aside from timey-wimey stuff,

I like splitter monsters. Big bad ooze, you're beating him, but he splits into 2 or 4 oozes. Yes, it divides his HP and his attacks are (slightly) weakened, but he gains action economy and flanking. Beat those oozes, and they split into a small squad of them.

I'm intrigued by whatever your system is. It sounds like a deckbuilding game?

Heaven's debt

From hand cast by {holy}{light} onto {evil}: Will burry target if sum of Heaven's Debt's and caster's (holy) is greater than or equal to target's sum of {evil}

"a favor due eons ago, in another life when I cross the gods"

You know the thing where kids put their hands over their eyes and say "If I can't see it, it can't see me"?

That, but it's a universal law of the setting. Regardless of might, magic, or divine power, it cannot be circumvented.

Thanks.
I am definitely trying to get some eyes on it.
It's a trading card game with no universal framework.

One may think that a card can exist that doesn't make sense of the glyphs, but I can programmatically control the logic of cards and their relationship to each other.

When playing, you're building up a whole ecosystem of cards on the field. You've got columns but not rows and nothing's "adjacent". Every card plays a small role, and if your ecosystem is diverse enough, then you should be able to sweep any deck of cards. Some are clearly more powerful than others.

Such as the following:
Very nice
>I can only think of some generic mutated horror for that.

No Face
>has no glyphs
Instant: Summon this card if the opponent has summoned or cast glyphs that are an exact match to your hand.
Interrupt: if No Face is being targeted by a card with a different orientation, cancel that cards effect.

I also like the ooze idea. Since every card must be unique in the game, each different ooze jell would have a unique, seemingly "odd" function. And then there would be ooze hand cards that you'd play from your hand and they would work together. Ooze's actually make a great case for "color" glyphs. Something my gut was telling me I needed to have. They glyphs that represent colors (and are those colors), not colorizing glyphs. Blue jells break down to blue jells, green to green, etc etc. And it's only relevant among oozes.

but also something I've called "Chalk Golem" as well

"... there's God, the devil, and then there's me..."