Am I the only one that thinks high fantasy is ran better in superhero systems than systems that are supposedly designed...

Am I the only one that thinks high fantasy is ran better in superhero systems than systems that are supposedly designed for it? (note that this doesn't count for more "grounded" games)

I mean, the guy with a sword and a guy with a wand seem like they play by entirely different rules for the most part in fantasy centered systems, whereas with supers that include magic as an option have "martials" that are so good at what they do that they can throw giant boulders just as a wizard could send out a fireball. In fact, high powered magic and might doesn't even have to be that separated (I mean, what is literally Shazam or Golbez pic related) in a super's system as long as you have the budget and appropriate setting. Not to mention that neither would have to worry about short or long rest crap unless you take that drawback.

I mean, pic related could be statted in MnM 3e as easily as giving him Removable toughness for his armor and right descriptors for his powers whereas in 5e I would have to do a bunch of multiclassing cheese with fighter and wizard to get plate armor.

Other urls found in this thread:

atomicthinktank.com/viewtopic.php?p=712694#p712694
twitter.com/AnonBabble

...you just blew my fucking mind...

You're not wrong, and I'd kill to play in a high fantasy game with a superhero rules system

Might be worth a try.
I'll watch this thread

You're not wrong, but there are fantasy games which also do this.

Heck, people often criticise D&D 4e as a fantasy superhero game, which is part of what I love about it.

I've actually been in games that use Mutants and Masterminds for a generic fantasy setting. It actually works pretty well. You can have Wizards with big libraries of tricks and spells alongside a fully martial pugilist, and they'll both be quite capable of contributing.

I think the fact everyone at the table thought of the system as a superhero system would be detrimental. Compare ORE for Godlike/Wild Talents and ORE for Reign - I don't feel "high fantasy" and "superheroes" are exactly equivalent and with everyone having the opportunity to get their hands on and indulge a superhero ruleset, I think ultimately you'd end up with a game more tilted to that.

While it might be desirable from the PoV puts out (you can truly have Hercules in my game) I think you'd inevitably end up more "anime fantasy" than "high fantasy" in terms of character powers and how they are used. Which is maybe what you want - you did use a Dissidia pic.

tl;dr depends on power level and what you see as high fantasy (duh)

>I would have to do a bunch of multiclassing cheese with fighter and wizard to get plate armor.

It's not that difficult you twit. Level 1 Fighter, every level after that Blade-Pact starlock isn't even the slightest bit of cheese.

It makes me unreasonably happy that in 5e, you can cast spells in any armour with which you are proficient

I hope Golbez is good in the new Dissidia. He was one of my mains back in Duodecim, along with Firion and Kuja

Are they going to release it in the west in any form? Will it only be for the PS4?

I am actually running a game with:

>A Knight who has armor with runes that sends an explosion right into the opponent's face, can "rocket jump", empower his super r strength punches into a "falcon punch", and all sorts of other fire-based shit
>A scholar who uses elemental monster girls for high damage and crowd control and also uses gauntlets to switch between buff modes
>dwarf with magic hammer and dragon powers
>Used to have a ranger centaur that could see for miles and hit people with starlight
>And a magical Not-Green Lantern servant girl

I'm suddenly glad I've never tried OP's idea.

Takes the right group.

Eh, on the one hand you can get crazy stuff like that, but om the other, it's just a matter of finding a power level that fits the tone you want.

It won't work for the absolute lowest levels of fantasy, but for example, my group has got a shaman that talks to spirits for various spells (fireballs, sandstorm), a monk that's leaping around grappling and using ki to heal people, and a wizard with flight and a few different transmutation style effects to stun enemies, shrink down and sneak into places, or grow bigger and gain damage resistance to punch things.

Nothing that would really be out of place for a mid-level d&d group, aside from the fact that they can do this all quite frequently.

>whereas in 5e I would have to do a bunch of multiclassing cheese
Or 3 seconds of homebrew.

>discussing game rules
>mentioning homebrew

If a player requests homebrew that's another matter.
But if a GM isn't willing to make their own content, then they should play a boardgame instead.

Either one does not belong in a discussion of the game unless variants and formats themselves are part of the official material.

Yes, yes, and your rules exist for the player's sake. To restrain the GM.
I'll slip back off to my pre-90s general where people aren't weird.

I've run a few D&D inspired games in Mutants&Masterminds and now I refuse to go back
It is now my go to for High Fantasy High Magic games since it lets you play whatever concept you want without having to multiclass 8 times and comb through 30 sourcebooks for the perfect prestige class

Multiclassing Fighter to most caster classes is in itself cheesy.

4 T H E D I T I O N

M&M works too but is less interesting as a game imo.

You might find some value in Valor, which is kinda like M&M if it was based on 4e

I remember seeing the kickstarter but I haven't looked at the finished product. There was a discussion about 4e and 4e-likes in the 4eg thread somewhat recently, and the people who had played a lot seemed to think 4e/Strike! were better than Valor for combat. Still, I'll check it out.

That was Touhoufag, who... Well. He's great at high optimization, but he has trouble conceiving anything else.

2hu has his idiosyncracies but I pretty much see eye to eye with him on system design. He's good at optimization because he really thinks through the ramifications of the rules, which is a useful mindset for making a balanced set of rules or finding the flaws in an existing one. I've never had the chance to be in an actual game with him, though, so I can't speak to his rp ability.

But like I said, I'll give Valor a read.

Pretty much how I view it.
I sincerely don't understand why people want to boast about a game's flexibility by using a clusterfuck of completely homebrewed stuff as an example either.
You can do over the top stuff, but to throw away the entire idea of using a different approach to high fantasy because a specific group's concepts are a over the top when it's not intrinsic to the systems themselves is kind of petty.

Ranger

Warlock

Artificer

What kind of builds/concepts did your characters have?

>Basic outline for the characters of my last game
Dwarf with a "Golem Arm" that doubles as a mace and grappling hook
Young Elven Swordmage and Princess of an Elven kingdom
Immortal Human Swordsman has no powers other than regeneration and immortality
And a Gnome that got magically spliced with an Umber Hulk based on a race the player found in the Bastards&Bloodlines

A lot of people on the forums seem to bitch incessantly about regeneration, but how true of a challenge in dealing with that really?

To be honest Regeneration is only as strong as it is if a Gm doesn't know what an Affliction is.

It isn't that big of a deal if the GM knows what they're doing
A lot of that comes down to knowing that there are other ways to fail an encounter than just getting DOWNED

People in our universe/world DO eat spiders. For some indigins they're a primary source of protein.

I think it's because there's more effort and system mastery involved than in a D&D type game where you just need to pick a class and make one or two stats high and that's usually all people want.

If you're in the kind of group that regularly tries to mash prestige classes and homebrew together then yeah it's weird you'd let it get to that point without at least trying a point buy system.

I was aware. That doesn't mean it's not weird.

I'm going to be using a system called OVA to run a fantasy game sometime in the next week or so. It's built as an anime game, but not much ties it to being anime-only.

It's going to be my first time running it though, so I can't really say how good it is yet.

D&D, 3e and older, doesn't let you play a high powered fighter. It just doesn't. You can play a fighter and play to level 20 but you'll just be a more skilled and harder-to-kill version of what you were at level 1.

4e has a lot in common with games in the superheroes genre; this isn't a coincidence. I haven't played 5e yet so I'll let other people talk about it.

Immortal characters are actually a boon. You can stomp on them, drop most powerful enemies on them to show what they can do and they are always nice as a target for capture.

Yes and yes.

I...actually have never thought of it that way. That is good to consider.

Savage Worlds with the Super Powers Companion set at Pulp Heroes power level is more or less my standard for fantasy gaming at this point.

Illusionist Wizard

Loremaster Wizard

Whoops

Sorcerer

Untrained in deception

Star Pact Patron

It's not my rule, it's the game's. I'm not talking about homebrews as being part of the rule set. Pay attention.

Smooth,Hal

Because ultimately, the genres aren't all that dissimilar. Most pulp fantasy settings are basically just low level super settings.

not that guy, but i don't play 3e/5e/etc.
so [your rules] and [my rules] are different

>bringing up editions when no editions were being talked about

Is that why he is so fucking broken?

seems like a safe assumption
i've never met (or heard of) OSR refs who didn't homebrew like the wind

good taste, by the way. you read any of Dowman's doujins?

I'm sure I've read everything he has made at this point.

I'm still not sure why he hasn't gotten an anime deal with SHAFT

I remember how in a board, a guy said he wanted to play a dragon, just straight up a dragon, but all systems he knew made it incredibly hard to have the other players balanced with it and/or made it a massive headache ruleswise to be one.

I suggested trying MnM 2e (3e wasn't out yet) and whipped him a sheet for a perfectly reasonable power level 10 dragon in Hero Lab in, like, three minutes.

He's more of a GOO-pact warlock in some ways, a lot of his spells are empowered by mystical outsiders (at least in the comics).

I actually ran a game with a player playing a dragon straight out of Kingdom Death.

You aren't wrong OP. Mutants and Masterminds does a better job at being D&D 3.5 than D&D 3.5. If you are more for the low fantasy gritty bent then systems like A Song of Ice and Fire and GURPS already exist.

A GOO warlock isn't nearly as flexible as Dr Strange though.

>3.PFags come flooding to try and prove OP wrong
>they fail spectacularly
As expected. Why not follow OP's advice instead?

The term you're looking for is more "epic fantasy." High fantasy isn't *necessarily* bound to that same scale of high-power/high-stakes settings or stories. But let's not let that distract from the actual point, here.

I largely agree.
It doesn't necessarily have to be designed for superheroes per se, but it should definitely be good at bombastic, high-flying heroics.
Fantasy Craft and Rule of Cool's Legend are notable exceptions to the whole "epic fantasy that's bad at its job" thing, I feel. Read through their Skill and Feat sections of both, or look at Fantasy Craft's campaign quality rules, and you'll probably walk away impressed.
It's a damn shame that Legend is technically unfinished: no Bestiary. It does give you some few templates that speed up making your own creatures/NPCs with some good variety, but it's still a drag.

An interesting thing is that OD&D and the initial Basic stuff was a bit more focused on a pulpy melange than emulating full-on Tolkien-plus-Arthurian Legend stuff.

Google says this is a concept as old as this decade and here is a link from someone who got a little bit more intricate about this

giantitp com/forums/showthread.php?279503-D-amp-D-in-M-amp-M-a-new-approach-to-rebalancing-3-5-PF

Interesting idea.

>is ran better
fix your shit, you halfwit

atomicthinktank.com/viewtopic.php?p=712694#p712694

>to try and prove OP wrong
I actually think it's the other way around
and they talk 5e classes/archetypes, not 3.f

That is correct.

But Veeky Forums already knew that DnD is trash: anyone worth their salt knows that it's better to just play another system altogether, even for high fantasy games.