IT'S HAPPENING

IT'S HAPPENING

PRAISE THE OMNISSIAH

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASM-135_ASAT
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Welcome to two weeks ago. Also, yes, the existence of a space military is something unique to 40K, there are no other science fiction settings that this could lead to happening just as if not more easily than your little miniatures game.

But 40k is the only one sufficiently grimdark so as to befit real life.

Real life is true neutral.

UNSC, here we come?

Star Wars did it first.

USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA deep breath... USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA

>Army
>Navy
>Marines
>Airforce
What's the pre-existing fifth branch?

Planetes?

Coast Guard?

Coast Guard, I think.

Coast Gaurd?

Occult Warfare Corps?

Lol, rescuing drunk rich kids from daddy's yacht isnt military

>MFW Trump actually becomes the God Emperor.

GW already confirmed they based the Emperor off of Trump's persona, debate has raged if they actually foresaw him becoming the leader of the world

By American legal definition, it is.

Russia BTFO.

I wonder who had/will have the first Cyber Corps? China?

>GW already confirmed they based the Emperor off of Trump's persona

meanwhile on disinfochan more made up nonsense about how Dump is teh best

I bet Tolkien based Gandalf on him too right?

What is: jokes

You're baiting, right? I mean, everyone knows Trump is Dorn.

>implying alt-shits understand anything other than forced memes

Yeah no

Sorry you lost your laugh box when you were little.

Based Raegan was right? Who saw that one coming?

The Coast Guard is the only branch of the US Military that has permanent legal right to act on US Soil.
They are also the only branch of the US Military permitted to perform boarding actions upon Naval Vessels - any time the US boards ships, the Coast Guard is in charge of the action, even all the way back in WW2.

what a bastion of intersectionality, how progressive and virtuous of you

Puritans can't into humor, news at 11.

So who wants to predict the ranks? Is it going to Spaceman first class, Elite Spaceman, etc?

Probably just air force rank with Space instead of Air. Spaceman Basic, Spaceman, Spaceman First Class, Senior Spaceman. It sucks most because enlisted ranks like that will be the last to actually get to be proper spacemen in space
>inb4 they keep air force rank without any change for decades anyways

So Navy ships have a couple of coasties on board just in case?

Unsure but the coast guard is the smallest of the branches and thus is the most highly trained of them all. The Coast Guard Academy only accepts a few hundred a year.

>Spending more money
>$20 trillion in debt
I hate this fucking world.

That's just not true. Both the Navy and the Marines have VBSS units.

>not "alt-shites"
Mediocre.

Literally just going to be a bunch of eggheads managing satellites under a shit ton of extraneous bureaucracy, don't worry about it. I guarantee you we won't see space infantry until long after we're all too old to join up.

>PRAISE THE OMNISSIAH
Why? It sidnt create them, the glory of man did. Emperor>=omnissiah

The world rules on the US dollar and it ain't going to change anytime soon.
American prosperity and economic ability is the most global power

I thought space was unclaimable turf due to international law? So no nation can claim ownership in space.

>I hate this fucking world.

Consider leaving it.

International laws are reflections of power, not vice versa. Parts are unclaimable because nations didn't have the tech to claim them, so moralizing about sharing had no downsides. Now that space is up for grabs, expect the laws to change (or get ignored if the don't change fast enough).

The debt is a meme, nobody is ever gonna come an collect. All it does is create trade oppertunity. Also you are blaming the world for americas problems? Idiot.

>no layer of frozen water or hydrogen

Na, that's an offshoot of the Chaplain Corps.

You don't need it. You can hollow out an asteroid and leave a few feet/meters (whichever you prefer to use) of soil left, and still have enough radiation shielding to only have to need the minimal structure required to contain the hab's atmosphere.

Furthermore, A rotating habitat's external shell (much like the asteroid base's shell) wouldn't be rotating with the habitation module, as the rotation would only server to act as a force multiplier for any object that strikes it. So, it's free to be as thick as you need it to be in order to protect from ambient and projected radiation.

source? genuinely interested if true

if shitposting *claps*

That's a terrible idea. Its basically announcing our intent to violate a shitton of treaties regarding weaponization of space.

And we don't even have any ability to follow through on this within the next decade because we junked our shuttle program, so it stirs up a bunch of shit for no payoff.

>our intent to violate a shitton of treaties regarding weaponization of space
it literally has to happen at some point.
get ready for the age of casaba-howitzers

That's debatable, as any kind of actually important development in space exploration strongly benefits from international cooperation, if for no other reason than that it would be fucking trivial to cock block other countries from doing it.

Like, any interplanetary craft that we build in orbit would take years to complete assembly and that's assuming everything fucking goes right. At any point in that, a single missile can wreck the whole thing, letting even countries that can't take us in any kind of fight hold our ship hostage from anywhere in the world. Or the recently proposed laser propulsion plan to push craft to other solar systems. That's a global effort, because the laser installations literally have to be around the globe for it to work.

But lets ignore all of that. Even assuming that this is a thing that 100% needed to happen, this is the worst fucking way possible to play this card. You announce the formation of this force only when you are in a position to make it happen under your own power, NOT WHEN YOU HAVE TO BUM RIDES INTO SPACE FOR YOUR ASTRONAUTS OFF OF OTHER COUNTRIES.

>that cant take us in any kind of fight hold our ship hostage
If we decide to fuck the treaties anyway, we wouldn't build our ships first, we'd build orbital kill-sats loaded up with nuclear weapons and inertial kill vehicles.
And also, imagine if companies became the first to have spaceships.
They'd basically have free reign over the entire solar system. They could wage wars on each other with no consequence, and earth militaries would be doing jack shit, because trying to build a ship takes a while, and if someone already HAS spaceships, they cant blow you out of the sky.
The only difference is that the militaries would have access to casaba-howitzers, which again are the best possible weapon considering the current tech we have available.
And we have our own space program nigger, we just dont have our own space program involving sending people. We still have our rockets and shit.

Everything you describe is exactly why, decades ago, the international community agreed this shit needed to be kept international. Because the alternative is a complete shitshow, where any country that tries to secure an orbital advantage invites a national attack against it to make their orbital infrastructure worthless before that orbital advantage becomes insurmountable.

Its not that we can't do it. We've been able to do it since the 70s. The problem is that doing so isn't fucking WORTH it. Even our allies wouldn't be okay with it, because no one likes that guy who pulls out a gun and starts claiming anyone who wants to use the ocean needs his permission first.

so essentially, dont let anyone into space ever?
got it. great plan. im sure everyone will follow it and is totally fine with the entire species dying on this rock.

Which is why several companies/groups are working on plans to set up human colonies on Mars (Mars One, for example, have plans to have a small colony set up by the mid 2030's.).

Sure, Internationally countries can't own Interstellar property, but there's nothing that says private citizens can't attempt to stake their claims if they're willing to boldly go where no man has gone before.

AGAIN
YOU COMPLETE FUCKING RETARD
YOU ARE SAYING "IT'LL BE A SHITSHOW IF THE COUNTRIES DO IT, BUT IT'LL BE ENTIRELY FINE IF CORPORATIONS DO IT"
WHEN I JUST POINTED OUT THAT IT WOULD BE EVEN WORSE IF THE PRIVATE COMPANIES DID IT.
YOU BASICALLY WANT THE FUCKING EAST INDIA COMPANY IN SPACE, EXCEPT THIS TIME IT CAN COMPLETELY BUTTFUCK ITS OWN PARENT NATION

No, you dingus. Just continue with the current trend of international efforts setting the tone for space. Like the International Space Station.

If any single country makes a resource grab or a land grab for space, its going to end up a war. Because every time a valuable resource or territory on Earth has been up for grabs that's how it happened, and why should this time be any different. Anyone with the tech level and infrastructure to make that space play is no one to fuck with, so the results of two or more such powers duking it out is going to be very fucking costly even ignoring other concerns. If the war is actually fought in orbit itself, the resulting collateral could even Kessler Syndrome our asses and now NOBODY gets space because no one can launch shit anymore through the fucking razorstorm of shrapnel that used to be our stations and communications sats that is now spinning around our planet. No more space travel, no more eyes in the sky, no more GPS for anyone because we fucked it all up for stupid shortsighted reasons.

Make sure the major players all get a slice of the pie, and you remove the incentive for from anyone that has the means to stop you. This is some Prisoner's Dilemma shit where the optimal solution is for no one to be an asshole about this. Space is too important to do this wrong.

So if the US were to be invaded only the Coast Guard would respond?

The US also has the National Guard, which technically counts as a internal military?

He's not saying no-one SHOULD go to space, he's saying that no-one WILL go to space in force under the current conditions. There are plenty of good reasons to go to space (scientific discovery, extra resources, possibility of habitation, construction of orbital infrastructure) but all of them are fuckoff expensive, highly impractical in the short term, and very dangerous.

Orbital kill-sats are easily terminated, so we won't see them, and there's nowhere for space infantry to fucking land. The whole thing's nuts. No-one's doing it on their own, they all need help in some way. It's pretty much join up or shut up.

wait user ignore that mean spirited comment, i thought you were this retard

No. In an state of emergency the army and the national guard will deploy. Because duh.

But they need orders and permission. The Coast Guard always has to be on duty, and they can't call the president for a thumbs up every time some boat sinks and its crew needs a rescue.

So Tau finally started build their fleet?

>Orbital kill-sats are easily terminated
by who and by what? Nukes literally cant reach that high unless specifically designed to, and even then the extent of their damage would be EMP.
And the second you try to blow up a kill sat, it'll just dump its payload into whatever country is trying to destroy it.
If weaponization of space is allowed, it WILL be kill-sats first, space fleets much much later

> whether someone is right or wrong depends entirely on whether I am already emotionally invested in arguing with them

Thanks for letting me know I don't need to take you seriously anymore.

no problemo. Is kinda hard to differentiate between every idiot when there's no tags to let you know which one you're yelling it.

>these posts
I could swear this is the plot of Call of Duty: Ghosts.

More likely than 40k styled space armies, for sure.

>implying everyone and their mother wouldn't be trying to hack into each one launched.

no, whether someone is a dipshit depends entirely on whether they ignore the facts presented and continue to argue the same points over and over again.
you dipshit

fuck me that'd be great.
"send me 1000 bitcoins or i blow up new york"
>hey /pol/ i'm currently holding new york hostage, should i just nuke them anyway? dubs decides who i nuke next

>Doesn't know about the satanist pedophile rings

Real life is FAR more horrifying than 40k or any other fictional medium.

> by who and by what? Nukes literally cant reach that high unless specifically designed to, and even then the extent of their damage would be EMP.

Who needs a nuke? You are destroying a target the size of a bus, not a city.

And as it stands, the US and Russia already don't need to launch anything. Look up the cold war space program. Your kill sat is a lot less impressive with its cameras get covered in paint from glorified paintball guns, which is something that is already up there floating around the Earth as we speak and has been for longer than I have been alive.

Russia even has a mounted machinegun up there somewhere, though everyone agrees that if they ever actually fired it the gun would go into a spin and basically never be useable again so its kind of a moot point.

>And the second you try to blow up a kill sat, it'll just dump its payload into whatever country is trying to destroy it.

Holy shit, no one would ever make that a thing. If you honestly think we would willingly build a killsat designed to nuke the fuck out of a randomly chosen country because it gets nicked by an Asteroid and registers it as an attempted attack, with no input from ground control at all, you are a goddamn idiot. That's just begging a computer error to start WW3 in the dumbest way possible.

You haven't stated any facts, just hot opinions.

>satanist pedophile rings
You just put words together.

>give Americans access to basic services like food, shelter, or medicine?
>BUT MUH DEFICIT
>BUT MUH ENTITLEMENT

>okay, how about dumping money into a new military branch that won't do anything for decades if not centuries?
>SURE HAVE ANOTHER TRILLION JUST THROW IT ONTO THE DEFENSE BUDGET
That's the right these days

>Your kill sat is a lot less impressive with its cameras get covered in paint from glorified paintball guns
are you really so fucking dumb as to think a kill sat targets things with a goddamn camera? Not gps coordinates? A fucking camera?
A fucking camera that can be disabled with paint? A multi billion dollar device would be designed with a MASSIVE GLARING WEAKNESS that could be exploited with fucking paint.
Holy shit, i think this is bait but im still infuriated.

>[APHEX TWIN INTENSIFIES]

With 7 billion people they've got to be real

>Orbital kill-sats are easily terminated
>by who and by what?

Any second-rate power with 1980's level missile technology.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASM-135_ASAT

>Russia BTFO.
Except our space forces already exist and already do something excpet eating burgers

Japan, because the treaties don't include AIs in arms.

That was the case when those paintball sats were first launched, yes. Optical targeting is still a thing, sure, but I think you are so mad that you are ignoring the fact that killsats are not a new idea and the US and Russia already have some decades old countermeasures in place to prevent them from being a viable strategy.

You're right. The paint thing probably won't work anymore. But that doesn't mean all of the countermeasures already up there are equally useless, and it assumes no one puts up any new ones once orbital killsats become actually likely to be a think.

I read that as

> because the treaties don't include AIs with arms.

and had immediate Outlaw Star flashbacks.

"A Grappler Ship?!"

You realize that if your killsat targets based on GPS, that just trades the camera for the antenna in terms of "glaring weaknesses". Jam or fry that receiver and the whole killsat is a blind brick. The camera thing at least requires them to physically hit your thing with paint, not just point a HERF in your direction and disable you from miles away.

>literally launched by a plane
great, now watch as your country gets several cities wiped off the map in the time it takes for that plane to reach launching height for said missile.

The response you trigger by putting nukes in the air wipes out the crucial major population centers of your nation, embroiling you in WW3 as the situation escalates out of control.

Congratulations! You punished North Korea for trying to shoot down a single piece of military hardware, and all it cost you was 50 million American lives in the first hour.

Would you like to try again, perhaps with a less batshit insane response this time?

>inb4 nuh-uh my everything proof shield stops the nukes!
>muh killsats will fix everything

To be fair, no one would actually be sad if North Korea were to have an orbital strike or two pointed at them.

Even China is getting tired of their shit.

>Congratulations! You punished North Korea for trying to shoot down a single piece of military hardware, and all it cost you was 50 million American lives in the first hour.
Worth it.

Or you use AI guided missiles, which is probably what they would use anyways. The satellite is just the launch platform, and also probably has acceptable maneuverability.

>Nuclear targets being population centers
>North Korea having any fucking nuclear capabilities
>North Korea even being able to remove a killsat
Fucking step your game up

>put kill sat in orbit
>several other countries probably have them too
>essentially MAD is in effect again, no change
>North Korea decides to openly declare war on a nuclear state
>oh no oh wow you didnt let the north korea blow your shit up you're such a monster
nice try kiddo

i honestly cant tell who you were insulting there. The guy saying anyone could blow up a kill sat scot free because their everything proof shield stops the nukes from the kill sat, or the guy saying that in destroying the kill sat, you force it to retaliate by dropping it's payload?

>Fucking step your game up
>prove yourself to be a rogue nation by nuking other nations
>even your allies launch on you
>buh my military power

It must be hard being 12 years old these days

>Le "One nuclear detonation causes full strategic exchange" meme
Thanks grandpa. How is it living in the 1950s?

I'm saying it's a pointless schoolyard argument by idiots who have no idea how dropping even a single nuke is going to unleash a global shitstorm

buh military power is the option chosen by idiots who's only solution is to punch things

>proving you have no concern for other nations or civilian casualties totally isn't going to prove you're a rogue state that threatens everyone
>people won't act out of interest to put down a mad dog

So when you can't punch your math homework what are you going to do instead? You clearly aren't smart enough to come up with any other options

>all those WW2/Cold war experimental weapons will never be used

to be fair it'd be pretty fucking awesome to see a nuclear exchange.
Pic related, the first and only test of a MIRV with dud warheads.

I"m not even the other user, and I'm not saying that's a good response to North Memeria doing whatever. I'm just saying that you're pretty out of the loop if you think anyone is still using the equivalent of the Flexible Response nuclear doctrine (Which ironically isn't flexible at all).

>Or you use AI guided missiles

What does that even mean? No, seriously, tell me what problem the machine learning algorithm is going to learn to solve.

>you must be thinkg bluh bluh bluh doctrines

Yeah nice try to sound intellectual Timmy. Self-interest is still self-interest and no one worth a damn is going to let one nation sling nukes like it's a fucking RTS

But hey keep pretending you can totally just kill all the bad men

You have an artificial intelligence that can guide itself in a "smart" manner. Each warhead fitted with a sensor of some sort, which relays information to the AI, which then decides how to act with some degree of intelligence (The easiest way to explain it is with SAMs. Strictly IR guided SAMs can lose their targets due to flares and whatever. Hypothetically an AI system could distinguish what target is the correct one and do the thing).

>He doesn't understand what I'm saying at all.
Thanks