Exalted General - /exg/

What is Exalted?
An epic high-flying role-playing game about reborn god-heroes in a world where bears are pansies.
Start here: theonyxpath.com/category/worlds/exalted/

>That sounds cool, how can I get into it?
Read the 3e core book (link below). For mechanics of the old edition, play this tutorial: mengtzu.github.io/exalted/sakuya.html
. It’ll get you familiar with most of the mechanics.

>Gosh that was fun. How do I find a group?
Roll20 and the Game Finder General here on Veeky Forums.

Resources for Third Edition
>3E Core and Splats
mediafire.com/folder/b54o6teut3fx6/Exalted_3e

>Arms of the Chosen Previews
dropbox.com/s/15xddoahzedtkwu/Arms of the Chosen Preview.docx?dl=0
drive.google.com/file/d/0B7FqViticwNuam9lbVJBWFhJM2s/view

>Dragonblooded Charm Previews:
theonyxpath.com/dragon-blooded-charms-preview-exalted/
theonyxpath.com/the-elemental-aura-dragon-blooded-pt-2-exalted/

>Other Ex3 Resources
pastebin.com/fG1mLMdu

>Resources for Older Editions
pastebin.com/GihMPwV8

New NPCs and a Behemoth rework
pastebin.com/d8erArwm
pastebin.com/fPSSNQZL
pastebin.com/2pPpjjv5
pastebin.com/fLRD51Hf

Previous Thread →

Heads up to everyone. Monthly stuff has been posted. No links yet.

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/VwCdMgCG
pastebin.com/RmUiuBKR
pastebin.com/MbTG7ZH6
pastebin.com/ccPnXHQz
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>No links yet.

Lies.

>Cynis Borok
pastebin.com/VwCdMgCG

>Ragara Feria
pastebin.com/RmUiuBKR

>Strix
pastebin.com/MbTG7ZH6

>Zicnal of the Asmani
pastebin.com/ccPnXHQz

So, /exg/! I need suggestions for features a water manse might have. For reference, it's a palace that sits atop a hill and overlooks a port town settled by the Yellow River in the East. If it matters, the hearthstone linked to it is the Purity Gem.

Scrying pools: see future or present events in the surface

Fonts of knowledge: Entire libraries kept in a single pond. Gain passing knowledge by drinking it. Gain in depth knowledge by immersing yourself in the pool.

Hot springs: For speeding up healing or recovering from certain conditions. Also has a 90% chance to attract the attention of weeb players.

Consider adding a waterwheel or one of those fancy bamboo japanese thingies that go doink, for the hell of it.

>Also has a 90% chance to attract the attention of weeb players

Exalted has a 90% chance to attract weeaboo's.

The town nearby replies on the manse for clean water.

The manse water is yellow and has a strong taste, but people claim it has great health benefits.

>The manse water is yellow

I'm onto your trick, old man! No one is going into your magical realm.

So, last thread we had an incrdibly stupid and embarrassingly long discussion started by one sentence in Ragara Feria's writeup, but what about Cynis Borok? Does nyone have strong opinion about him? I found him incredibly dull myself, word count wasted on walking cliche. Do you guys feel the same, or do you like Borok?

He's pretty generic, but eh I guess it's something a newbie might use.

Ragara Feria?

Veeky Forums, what's your opinion on Tomb of Dreams as an meta-example for a story / session?

Sure, I've read it, but I'm a mindless drone and have no personal opinion on anything whatsoever.

He's boring but looks pretty easy to run as a starter villain. He's not complex enough that you have to think really hard about how he'll act and react. He's like the dry toast of villains, inoffensive and bland but still serviceable. 5/10

Martial Arts training ground under a waterfall coming off a cliff on the hill.

It's a good way to introduce the mechanics of the game, but doesn't really go into the lore. The self-contained nature of the dream prevents the players from leaving or splitting the party. The fact that it also allows for conflict resolution besides combat is great.

That is true, but still kind of disappointing for something that people are technically supposed to pay for. Even a mediocre ST could come up with something of comparable quality. The new Charms are useful, at least.

I can't imagine anyone paying for that shit. Those are literally the blandest villains I have ever seen.

I have to say, running a 3E game, what's really amusing is how the standard loot dynamic doesn't really apply to Exalted. You don't need to be laden with magical items (and in fact, being laden with magical items can work against you), you just need your trusty sword and some armor. Everything else, you can leave.

Technically speaking, if the PCs manage to beat their first Wyld Hunt, they have all the equipment they will ever need.

Similarly, I'm wondering who bothered to stat up stuff like Thaumaturgy, when it's obvious that no PC will EVER use that shit. I mean, it makes the world more fleshed-out, but 90% of the stuff in most of the books is so beneath the notice of the players that it'd never be used.

>Similarly, I'm wondering who bothered to stat up stuff like Thaumaturgy, when it's obvious that no PC will EVER use that shit. I mean, it makes the world more fleshed-out, but 90% of the stuff in most of the books is so beneath the notice of the players that it'd never be used.
Thaumaturgy is for mortals games. There it can actually be pretty damn useful.

One change I liked for 3E is the fact that Sorcery has been totally revamped. Not to mention that mortals can actually use sorcery now.

>Thaumaturgy is for mortals games. There it can actually be pretty damn useful.
I wonder why thaumaturgy has to be presented as its own system. I mean, is there a reason the relatively minor powers represented by thaumaturgy aren't just supernatural Merits, included in the same section as other Merits?

I think it's easy to avoid them, just play up the original sword-and-sandals post-apocalyptic vibe from 1e. Remind them at every turn it's the Age of Sorrows.

The reactions after the post are the imageboard of equivalent of TV shows with laugh tracks.

Hahahahahahaha.

>I think it's easy to avoid them, just play up the original sword-and-sandals post-apocalyptic vibe from 1e. Remind them at every turn it's the Age of Sorrows.
"Man I played this great post apocalyptic anime game last week."

There is nothing wrong with anime inspired games. As long as you don't have cliches that are currently killing the anime. This is the biggest problem. Bringing crazy anime fan, that will use Kyaa, Nyaa, tsundere, to an anime game is similar as bringing a goth or emo (whoi is talking all the time how life is suffocating) to a vampire game. It isn't the game at fault. It depends on the crowd you are playing with.

So /exg/, I just wanted you to know that due to previous thread bitching about gayness in OP/WW game, I'm going to have my players choose one of them to have been repeatedly gay raped by his bearlike, Dragonblooded superior before exaltation.

godspeed to you sir, godspeed!

Just wait for Feminine Female-Attracted Hermaphrofemale to be introduced into Exalted in the near future. Gay NPCs will be least of your worries.

You mean the one with Cloud's buster sword and materia in it? And all of the anime art? And obvious anime references? That Exalted 1st edition?

>As long as you don't have cliches that are currently killing the anime

But theres nothing slice of life or moe about Exalted. So it's safe. Exalted's more like 80's anime, where violence solves everything and people explode at the slightest touch into gory blood splatters and there's ample amounts of tits.

Or at least, it was until tumblrites started whining there isn't enough PROGRESSIVENESS in it and decided to culturally enrich the dev's.

Also I'm bored, so have a bit of an art dump.

Also if anyone wants something specific, I'll see what I can do.

Well, sometimes problems are solved by inhumanly excellent persuasion and so on. Super martial arts isn't the only answer, probably.

Hence tits, the ultimate persuasive technique.

>Or at least, it was until tumblrites started whining there isn't enough PROGRESSIVENESS in it and decided to culturally enrich the dev's.

Well, somebody's triggered.

>But theres nothing slice of life or moe about Exalted

Well spoken fellow anime fan

That image always makes me giggle.

hello tumblr

Didn't we already go there?

>nothing worth talking about re: Exalted
>threads just picture threads of quality art we'll never see in an Exalted product again

4e when?

We never left that place.

go fuck yourself

Yeah, 3E really dropped the ball on the art. You can tell thats where the least amount of budget went, and whats worse, it doesn't even look like Exalted art anymore, it looks like generic fantasy garbage because they were so ashamed of their anime roots.

>it looks like generic fantasy garbage

this hurts the most. It doesn't have any soul or identity

And they were so ashamed of "Bikini Witches" that they did a hatchet job censoring The Scarlet Empress' bare leg. Not to mention all the poser art and plagiarism.

The censored leg is the worst. It's so poorly done, it's a fuzzy red smear that clearly doesn't belong, and it's almost dead center in the fucking picture so you can't even avoid looking at it.

Is it me, or Golden Exhalation kinda sucks? Are there any better terrestial martial arts for firewands? I know about Righteous Devil, but that is celestial.

I seem to remember that there is a Solar charm that allows the user to ignore any penalties coming from Appearance, but I can't seem to find it. Does it ring a bell to anyone?

Which picture?

Showing dat ass is okay but a fucking leg is not? How the fuck?

That's made really bad by the zoom in. The composition of the original puts the Empress much more in focus. Also you can still clearly see ponytail girls ass in the reflection.

This is 50% size of picture. It still looks like shit.

Wait, strix are normal regular animals in creation right? That means a lunar will be able to take on that shape right?

Nothing suggests that they're supernatural beings, but it remains to be seen if Lunars need to buy certain charms in order to take take shapes beyond a certain size.

Shame or not, I personally have seen zero reduction in the number of bikini witches in either of the games I'm in.

Do you fell your games are better or worse because of it?

I wouldn't say they're better, but I definitely wouldn't say they're worse.

But we know they didn't pay the writers anything.

Where did all the money go?

(haha not really we know it was churned up by the gold-leafed POD garbage books and refunds -- which I got both of)

>But theres nothing slice of life
What do you think defines that genre? Because it's not a contemporary setting in a high school and if it was the Heptagram exists.

I'm building a Craft-supernal solar in 3e, and I want to be able to start making artifacts right from the get-go without any (major) wait periods. This means I need a way to get rare/expensive material components quickly/efficiently, and secretly so no nosey Terrestrials start asking why some random guy is buying Orichalcum by the kilo.

So, which Merits are best for this? Do I want Backing, Contacts (Guild), Influence, Resources, or something else?

Manse, to get a volcano base that you can use to begin forging Orichalcum in.

Influence or Backing to give you control over a gold mining operation, to forge into the Orichalcum.

Sorcery and the Demon of the First Circle spell to summon Firmin and Heranhal demons to give you different sorts of hell materials to use as occult resources for artifact construction - if you want to make a daiklaive with sunlight-themed Evocations, for instance, you could get a Heranhal to forge a weave of fibers of their soulglass from the sands of Cecelyne and your anima banner, then take the glass fiber sheets and form them into magical fiberglass by layering them with an alloy of Firmin resin and Orichalcum.

So here's the thing. Starmetal and Moonsilver can't be created, only collected. Jade is used as currency in the Realm, so you only need Resources to get what you need. Orichalcum is made from Gold, but there's no mechanics for transmuting it yet. Soulsteel is steel made from souls; either you're going into the Underworld or you're going on a killing spree. Otherwise you want either Backing (Guild) or Contacts (Guild) or some other similarly powerful entity. Make note that Moonsilver and Starmetal are jealously hoarded by the Lunars and Sidereals respectively. For a clandestine operation, buy up Jade or gold.

When I said rare/expensive materials, I meant shit other than the sacred substances. Like, the book mentions "various exotic or mystical reagents such as frozen flame, behemoth bones, the captured love of a raksha noble, or other such wonders."

I'm certain that the best way to get some of the sacred substances is just to trade away the completed artifacts that I'm gonna be crafting. What I don't know is how I'm gonna get whatever bullshit my DM is gonna pull out of his ass and say I need.

>What I don't know is how I'm gonna get whatever bullshit my DM is gonna pull out of his ass and say I need.

That's probably to facilitate a quest or story arc to make you do shit instead of fuck about in your workshop all day. This puts more weight and value behind every artefact beyond "I crack out a world shaking power every other week."

Fuck.

If I've spent all my points on making a super specialized character designed for building cool shit, it kinda defeats the purpose if I have to constantly put myself in danger to get spare parts.

It's shit like this that makes me mad that Exalted doesn't have rules for potions or scrolls or magitech grenades or literally any kind of consumable magic item. Then at least I'd be able to directly use my skill at crafting to have some use in non-crafting pursuits.

That's what the Demon of the First Circle spell is for. Firmin have the ability to create a metallic resin that is especially good at reflecting sunlight; they use it to create needles, normally, but they can be directed by a summoner to use it to create any metallic item.

Heranhal have the ability to create six different unique items, including "the livid alloy called hepaziton" from bronze, blood, and gall; "green sun metal" from the light of Ligier (probably a good idea to use a sorcerous working to give your manse magical lighting that duplicates the light of the Green Sun if you want to use this), "soulglass" made from ghosts and the sand of Cecelyne, strings made from time itself suitable for bows or musical instruments, along with two others that were left unstated.

Additionally, you can use the demons themselves as a material for crafting, judging by how the 5-dot Orichalcum daiklave from the Arms preview has a demon inside it; you'd just need to pick one whose themes align with the sort of Evocations you want the item to have.

If you're going for artefacts, you'll probably have sorcery, which grants some options. Other than that, what are you spending all your Solar XP on? Workings? Buy up some MA, that's what it's there for.

>It's shit like this that makes me mad that Exalted doesn't have rules for potions or scrolls or magitech grenades or literally any kind of consumable magic item. Then at least I'd be able to directly use my skill at crafting to have some use in non-crafting pursuits.

That's what the Craft Points system is intended to encourage. You're not supposed to be making magic items with it, though, but things like making jewelry for the Queen as a part of your party's social influence, making toys for children to help improve the party's reputation with the common people, or making traps to help the party deal with the Dragonblooded that are chasing them.

Occult 5, Lore 5, Craft: Artifacts 5, Craft: whatever 5, plus at LEAST 11 Crafting charms. I'd rather have more, tho, since with only 11 I'd be missing out on real gems like Arete Shifting Method and Bright Forging Prana.
I'd like at least Sorcery plus 2 more spells, and 1 (or maybe 2) defensive charms, but I just don't have the points at char gen to spread around like that

You're acting as if it's difficult to acquire tons and tons of crafting xp. Why do you think Exigenesis of the Distilled Form is a thing?
Hell, I'd argue that the whole system encourages the opposite, since the best way to get crafting experience is to craft over and over again like a fiend.

Martial Arts, like I said. Buy up a single style, it doesn't matter if you buy any charms for it, as the Excellency will carry you through most fights, and you can spend Solar XP on them in parallel to Craft charms.

You don't need 11 Craft charms, bro, you just need 4. Craftsman Needs No Tools, Thousand-Forge Hands, Flawless Handiwork Method, and Bright-Forging Prana. Maybe 5, if you want to pick up Crack-Mending Technique.

You don't really need Arete-Shifting Method since all it really does is negate a -1 penalty.