/CofD/ & /wodg/ Chronicles of Darkness and World of Darkness General

Previous thread: >Pastebin:
pastebin.com/7HiVphFm
>News
theonyxpath.com/release-roundup-may-2017-plus-new-nook-store/
paradoxinteractive.com/en/white-wolf-partners-with-focus-home-interactive-for-a-video-game-adaptation-of-the-world-of-darkness-storyteller-game-werewolf-the-apocalypse/
>This week's Monday Meeting Notes:
theonyxpath.com/goodbye-my-friend-monday-meeting-notes/
>Question:
Have you ever played a African vampire? Like in Ebony Kingdom.
>5th editons cliffnotes
pastebin.com/cp0r59da

Other urls found in this thread:

quora.com/What-are-the-most-famous-art-pieces-that-feature-military-history
charroart.blogspot.com/
forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/main-category/main-forum/the-new-world-of-darkness/793173-the-horror-show?p=1031634#post1031634
forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/main-category/main-forum/the-new-world-of-darkness/757974-dinosaurs-in-the-nwod?p=759955#post759955
youtube.com/watch?v=NRItYDKSqpQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Sadly not, no ones ever had a interest so I've mostly not bothered with the book.

So what would have been art actually representative of the Orders who got shortchanged with their art?

Chronicles of Fagness

>Have you ever played a African vampire? Like in Ebony Kingdom

Blackula?

is Darksiders essentially an ODemon game?

>So what would have been art actually representative of the Orders who got shortchanged with their art

That's a fair question. Let's focus on the Adamantine Arrow art so as not to rehash the "it's gay so it's good" problem with the Free Council piece.

First, while I'm always up for Killing The Batman, I think a good first start for the AA art would be to have characters that look like real people, not 1980's caricatures (RIP Adam West). Swole Jawa just doesn't scream "wizard."

I would love to have seen an artist use a classic piece of military art but subtly change some of the characters to mages or depict some magic.

quora.com/What-are-the-most-famous-art-pieces-that-feature-military-history

Hire the guy who drew a lot of the Dresden Files art.

>Hire the guy who drew a lot of the Dresden Files art.

charroart.blogspot.com/

The CofD needs more dinosaurs.

Discuss.

This poster is a dinosaur. Do not respond to dinosaur posters. Report all dinosaur posts. DON'T GO INTO THE LONG GRASS.

>RAWR

Are there spirits of dinasours/ other extinct species or would those fall under idgiam?

IT CAN CAMOUFLAGE

Stats for some Dinosaurs:

forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/main-category/main-forum/the-new-world-of-darkness/793173-the-horror-show?p=1031634#post1031634

forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/main-category/main-forum/the-new-world-of-darkness/757974-dinosaurs-in-the-nwod?p=759955#post759955

>Are there spirits of dinasours/ other extinct species or would those fall under idgiam?

I don't see why there wouldn't be spirits of extinct species, although they probably wouldn't be too common, and more likely found near places like museums, movie studios and schools than their old habitats. There also may be ghosts and similar creatures for dead species. However, they wouldn't be idigam, as they are more formless or perversions of spirits.

>IT CAN CAMOUFLAGE

>Angry Thyrsus?

TFW A Thousand Years of Night had no rules for Methuselahs with dinosaur ghouls summoned with blood magic

WOD
>World of Dinosaurs

>A Thousand Years of Night
>Methuselahs

>203 Millions Years of Night

>>A Thousand Years of Night

I shudder to think about could still be around from those times.

Meh, old dead wood just burns better after you fireball it.

I don't know, if *something* has managed to survive for hundreds of millions of years, a fireball is likely only to irritate it.

The ability to survive doesn't always equate to being really really tough.

>The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the deadly light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.

>Theosophists have guessed at the awesome grandeur of the cosmic cycle wherein our world and human race form transient incidents. They have hinted at strange survivals in terms which would freeze the blood if not masked by a bland optimism.

>The ability to survive doesn't always equate to being really really tough.

Maybe, but we're talking over 200 million years.

Liberated from scribd, the missing Microlite Storyteller Races document.

In pieces

The original document

Nice work user. I didn't even know this existed.

Stuart Weick is dead.

Did anyone know what he thought about M20?

Alas, it will never be.

My setting is Masquerade. I really like the idea of CofD Mummy and i would like to use something similiar as an antagonist in my campaign.

>Mummies are the old sorcerer kings of egypt
>the whole old Egyptian Empire was a support structure for the rituals needed to create mummies
>Vampires and mummies fought for thousands of years in old egypt (periods of Chaos where the Vamps ruled, periods of stability where the sorcerors where ahead)
>Setite ante was slain by a high Mummy
>at some point the Romans completely broke the power of the Sorcerer dynasties (Egyptian cults were able to spread through Europe bringing some mummies with them)
>nowadays mummies are very rare mostly lacking the support structure old Egypt offered
>most mummies still sheltered by cults are trying to find other mummies to create a new Empire

So a few questions:

>What the fuck is OwoD Mummy? From what i have gathered the Mummies there are guardian of the underworld or some shit.

>Would CofD Mummy be useful as an inspiration? And how does the CofD mummy powerlevel compares to OwoD vamps?

>Is my idea shit? How would you change it ?

>I am planning to establish a Mummy as a reoccuring antagonist. Not the focus of the Story but a fleshed out antagonist.

CofD Mummy powerlevel is a wonky thing. Mummies wake up at full power; their power stat is 10 and they can do nonsense like retroactively rewrite the universe from the big bang on so that a meteor will be conveniently placed to strike whomever they're annoyed with at the momement. That power fades fast, though, and they'll be on par with the stuff a vampire can pull off by the end of a Descent.

>So what would have been art actually representative of the Orders who got shortchanged with their art?

Adamantine arrow

Okay that sounds like a cool idea if mummies are your main splat but really shitty for an antagonist. So i am probably better of developing my own mummies. Rewriting History is waaaaaaaay to high powerlevel for myWoD.

Thanks.

It actually makes for great antagonists I've found. Players become mice in a game of cat and mouse and have to avoid the angry thing they just woke up by robbing long enough for anything they could do to it to actually stick. It becomes a tension thing. And mummies get back up after being killed but lose a level of powerstat to do it so the fight is never quite as done as they think. Go look their Utterances over, its some biblical plague shit but they aren't all archmage grade meteor strike bullshit. Arisen only have a few each so you could tailor powers and they lose access to the higher tiers as their sekhem naturally fades.

Hmm. Thats sounds actually cool. A whole domain of vamps viciously hunted by a mummy but the Mummy gets slowly weaker and the Vamps start counter attacking. Afterwards the political structure is fucked because some vamps saw the sun.

The really high tier powers are not to my liking but maybe i am too biased i will give it a look.

Lieutenant Dan?

Yes, but I've never played a game in Africa.

1. I played an occult explorer-type vampire who was part of the Ishtar clan. That weird spirit-morality came into use when we had to pass through werewolf territory.

2. One of those "Familiar" vampires from dark ages 20 who figured out how to pact with other mages for blood in a mage game.

Hit up a museum for dino-spirits.

Well ACKSHUALLY now that they've wholeheartedly accepted the idea of supporting fan-made product they themselves would never publish (the cited example being a homebrew CofD hack that puts vampires in space), the existence of World of Dinosaurs relies on the authors who are yet to contribute it to the Storytellers Vault.

You're doing this in MtM right?

>be prince
>receive sarcophagus of what you are sure is an antediluvian and intend to diablerize for power
>whoops, its a fucking mummy

And then the mummy goes on an anti Camarilla rampage till it is finally brought down, lured back into henet, or gets distracted with a relic hunt elsewhere that maybe the player characters set up to specifically make it go away

VtM. Brain shit itself there, my bad

>What the fuck is OwoD Mummy?

There are three versions to OWoD Mummy. The central drama is the struggle between Horus and Set, although other Mummy groups existed in canon for other cultural areas, and the go-to twist in the early 90's books was always SURPRISE! This boss dude is a Mummy! Only he was born in 1765 and got lucky for reasons.

1st edition was proposed as a vampire antagonist. They had six virtues including the three for vampires, they had a vague backstory and they mostly served as a perverse antagonist that enjoyed dying and would be back.... but the rules surrounding return were so insane it was only applicable for huge, sweeping campaigns.

2nd was a bit better, and it came out when the whole WoD cosmology was better plotted out. Mummies slowly ebbed in power until they "died", travelled to the Tempest and various underworlds of Wraith doing virtue until they gathered the power to return. Enemies were the Setites, as well as other enemies of Apophis (including Bane Mummies). It was a glorious conjunction of Werewolf, Wraith and Vampire elements, with a unique magic and power set that could do some amazing shit.

Mummy: The Resurrection kind of sucked. First thing they did, kill off all the Horus mummies but not the Bane Mummies or other cultural Mummies because reasons, then a tiny portion of them (7 discrete parts to an Egyptian soul) lodges in Joe Normal and makes him Imbued, Egyptian Edition. It didn't have the same epic appeal.

Oh and the real plot kicker for your guys would be that nobody knows what the fuck just happened. The aftermath can be not just a politically turbulent period but a good chance for you to force them to be occult investigators risking life and limb for knowledge of whatever fluff you want the Arisen to have be it your own invention or a straight MtC port. Which can actually work in the oWoD I think

>Would CofD Mummy be useful as an inspiration? And how does the CofD mummy powerlevel compares to OwoD vamps?

Very different, the interests of CofD Mummies are tied entirely to the cult that preserves them. They wake up the Mummy every so often, to pass judgement or for ritual, but they also summon the Mummy the instant anything gets stolen from the cult. It starts out a super-powered, mindless brute, seeking out nothing but it's mission. As time passes and it's power ebbs, it begins to remember who and what it is, and starts to take it's own, individual actions. Eventually they all wind down. The CofD Mummies are the living embodiment of the old Camarilla altruism that you can always afford to outlive your opponent.... you just wait.

Has anyone ever done any system hacks/conversions worth nything for WoD? I am enamored with some of the concepts in Cortex Prime and the #s line up with the steps of dice.

>>Is my idea shit? How would you change it ?

The problem with Set being slain by Mummies is that the entire central melodrama of OWoD Mummy is Horus' followers the Amenti, as well as the remnants of the Cult of Isis, are still trudging on in an unending war against Set, in order to defeat Apophis (the Wyrm, basically). Some Mummies question this and are cast out.

If Set is slain, Horus's alliance would fracture in the peace that follows. The Changing Breeds of Egypt would quickly devolve to tribal squabbling, especially as The Silent Striders could now, in theory, come home. Pockets of Setite resistance might still continue plots for a while, but the other Clans would try to press the advantage for a while.

Then, the followers of Horus would wander eternity, consolidating their own holdings perhaps, or following their own agendas. Part of Mummy was balancing Hope for the future against Memories of the past, after all.

Therefore, your campaign would have these ancient beings like former KGB sprinkled all over the place, some of them claiming power, some claiming nostalgia, others only madness. But no matter how they are killed, they always.

Come.

Back.

>Mummy: The Resurrection kind of sucked. First thing they did, kill off all the Horus mummies but not the Bane Mummies or other cultural Mummies because reasons, then a tiny portion of them (7 discrete parts to an Egyptian soul) lodges in Joe Normal and makes him Imbued, Egyptian Edition. It didn't have the same epic appeal.

5 parts of the soul. They didn't kill off the Horus mummies, 13 survived and are the leaders.

Big problem with MtR is that they fucked up the corebook and then released Errata for it on the White Wolf Forums. There's no copy of the archive anymore though, so the game is virtually unplayable.

>>I am planning to establish a Mummy as a reoccuring antagonist. Not the focus of the Story but a fleshed out antagonist.

Here's an idea. Let's say a vampire in 1453 kills the wrong person. Frenzy, feeding, used the guy as a cushion from the fourth story window, whatever.

Let's also say that person was a close associate of a certain immortal from Egypt.

Let's also say that immortal kept diaries, so not even the normal amnesia of centuries could allow respite for the poor vampire, or his childer, or his childer's childer....

After over 500 years, this guy is still a thorn in the side of a particular character's bloodline (Ventrue would be perfect as the idea of legacy is so intrinsic to it's culture). This guy is the more patient version of the Terminator. Death stops him for a few decades at most. He doesn't seem to fear anything, because time already took away everything he had. He cannot die, and he has nothing left to live for but revenge.

Sad and epic, dude.

>"To the last, I grapple with thee; From Hell's heart, I stab at thee; For hate's sake, I spit my last breath at thee."

This is the real question. Can mummies be hot?

>They didn't kill off the Horus mummies, 13 survived and are the leaders.

I thought "the spell of Life finally failed, after so many centuries etc. etc." I guess it only ended for player characters. Ravnos, all over again.

Sure, while they're alive they look to be a person in perfect health. There's even certain charms and spells in the Mummy repertoire to boost stats for such enterprises.

You can play a hot Mummy if you want, man.

>I thought "the spell of Life finally failed, after so many centuries etc. etc." I guess it only ended for player characters. Ravnos, all over again.
It didn't fail, it's that any of the old ilk that caught in the Underworld during the Storm got ripped apart. That's why they started shoving mummy souls into the new ones.

If you never died during or after the Storm until now, you'd be fine since the Storm ended in like 2015.

How are mummies even made in the games? Is it just Pharaohs? Are there girl mummies? Like most people who play these games I just haven't given Mummy any notice at all.

After reading some stuff about Cursed, the replies here and Egyptian history instead of learning for an exam i should learn for i have outlined the fluff i am going to use.

>old Egyptian empire:

They had the full magic of Mummy creation. They created quite a few but a lot of them were trapped or even destroyed by very powerful vamps (antes or reaaally old metusaleh). A slight change to MtC but they can die under very special circumstamces. In modern nights maybe a handful of mummies exist and only 1-2 have an active cult (Lost dynasties international actually is the front for a cult in myWoD). The rest of them is waiting for someone to disturb their deathless slumber to be reawakened. They don't have to sleep as often as the Mummies in MtC and their power doesn't slowly degenerate while being awake.

>middle empire:

During the turbulent anarchy that arose between the middle and the old Empire (due to Vamp shenanigans the Setite Ante was slain in this turbulent times nur took most of the Original mummies with him) the original magic was lost and the second generation mummies created in the middle empire are weaker. They are the servants of the true mummies with not nearly as much power. Basically like the servants mummies in MtC (so still fucking strong). There are more 2nd gens but they are still really rare. Maybe 10-20 or something along these lines.

>new empire:

After another period of chaos the egyptian necromancy degenerated even further. 3rd generation mummies are basically tools. No magic apart from some combat stuff and bound to the will of 1st or 2nd generation mummies. Basically the Elite hench men giving Mummy cults more firepower without having a main antagonist appear.

The Roman concquest finally destroyed the Egyptian sorcerer culture and the mummies were scattered over the Roman Empire and the World.

1/2

All the cultural mummies were killed off, too (RIP Cabiri). The Mesoamerican mummies just invented their own Spell, while the asian mummies are not tied to the Underworld, but to Heaven

too white and able-bodied for OPP

How did the fey tie into the rest of the oWoD cosmology?

OPP Mage stuff generally doesn't go that route. Not that I've noticed.

depends. Dark Ages Fae or Changeling Fae?

Poorly.

Fae were done terribly in WoD.

They're the craftsmen of ancient Irem who were occult artisans. They were ritually sacrificed by their masters to serve for all eternity to give the really simple version

Also yes you can make girl mummies

The devil is this ultra-basic game which mashes up old and new wod?

2/2

Thanks! MtC Sounds better for what i have in mind though. The rule problems only underline that.

Well myWoD isn't tied to the metaplot or the cosmology of the other splats (if other splats appear i probably rework their mythology to fit into my vampire-centric Game World).

So werewolfs are different in myWoD and not involved in that kind of stuff. The killing of Set was a phyrric victory in myWoD. It was so costly that the mummies were unable to prevent the roman concquest that shattered the empire and the cause that United all mummies.

I really love both your ideas. KGB and timeless terminators is the stuff i wanna go for.

KGB after the fall of the UDSSR really fits the theme i want to go for with mummies. Except these beings don't die After their Dream was shattered.

Mummies were the Guardians of old Empire. Immortal unchanging beings completely focused on stasis. Ironically even the static vampires proved more flexible due to their parasitic nature.

Essentially you have a bunch of old really powerful beings, connected only by old loyalties that seem worthless in these changed times.

You have a small faction of loyalists trying to recreate a new Empire. This guys are still fully convinced that they are better and destined to rule. They are lead by a 1 generation Mummy that sits in a Mountain Fortress in Switzerland. Ironically despite their superiority complex they have to hide while Chasing their naive Dream. The war is long over and even with all the power at their disposal the Vamps would exterminate them if they became careless.

Then you have a large faction of mummies only concerned with protecting a small piece of the old Empire. Maybe a special family the heirs of their old servants or old artifacts. These guys are the timeless terminators carrying out feuds with whole vampire dynasties showing the Vamps what a truly immortal Enemy is.

3/3

These second faction, mostly consists of 2nd gen mummies that have lost their 1st gen masters in the endless wars.

Then you have a large group of mummies that are purely self serving. They only serve themselves and even cooperate with vamps if the need for that arises. The failure of their dream turned them into completely amoral beings only interested in spending Eternity as comfortable as possible and maybe gaining some power along the way.

Sounds fine for your chronicle as you've described it. Have you even hinted vaguely to your players that mummies might be things? If not when you finally make use of them I totally suggest the old elder vampire in a sarcophagus bait. Build as much lore up around it that can convince them this is true. Rumours, actual vague historical elements, etc. Maybe decorate it with blood hieroglyph theme or something with the twist being it describes the sleeping mummy's past conflict with vampires.

You only get one chance to make the reveal of your brand of Arisen so go that extra mile!

Microlite Storyteller is a spin-off of Microlite20, an attempt to make a stripped-down yet fully compatible game for D&D 3.X edition, without the endless builds and rules.

This thread is cursed, cursed by the presence of the Arisen! The tide of sybaris rises, let the holy madness take you

Goddamn that looks good. Who's the tramp behind Michael?

Molly, Michael's daughter.

Well shit, I should have used nicer words then.

One asked me (during setting introduction, all 4 players are new to the setting, One played bloodlines) if other supernatural shit existed because i mentioned Werewolfs.

Thats actually a great idea and good bloodlines twist. At first the players think they fight against a rampaging elder with strange powers. They kill him eventually but he just comes back for them.

In MtC mummies also look like dessicated museum mummy corpses until they sink to sekhem 8 if you want them wondering how the fuck a scraggly looking corpse is tearing a wall down or something before its flesh reforms properly

So how would Kindred respond to fireworks? I'm sure sparklers and roman candles would frenzy, but what about the large mortar ones?

Watching at a distance would probably be fine.
youtube.com/watch?v=NRItYDKSqpQ would frenzy for sure.

That actually plays in my hands. First generation mummies are endlevel threats and the players meeting one is unlikely up until 2020 ingame (we start with the embrace 1945) so the first thing they meet is a raging 2nd generation Mummy in the mid 80s (the Plot arc before the fall of the Eastern bloc and the ensuing kindred war)

As i mentioned 2nd generations are not fully functional (while 1st gens actually enjoy some advantages over your regular MtC Mummy.

So at first the players are hunted by a super strong, super fast and super resistant atrophied corpse. Rules wise i am thinking about improvising with VtM rules and some inspiration from MtC.

Once they have killed it once or twice (with explosives probably, or more realistically survived long enough) he suddenly looks like a normal human being and can use that as a nasty surprise (the spell is defective and maybe a hand or something looks still Mummy like so the players can Connect the dots) to fuck them. The weaker the Mummy gets the more suicidal and prone to Collateral damage it becomes. Banzai attacks etc.

Btw what happens with a Mummies body when its killed?

Blows up in face or close = Frenzy
In sky = aww sparklies!

>w what happens with a Mummies body when its killed?
When sekhem finally hits 0? They're just a corpse then but if their remains are defiled you immediately start the whole process with waking it back up at sekhem 10. If the body is completely destroyed they can come back via one of their canopic jars of which they have five. If even that is gone their cult can ritually sacrifice a person or prepare a corpse for them to inhabit as their new body.

There's no rules for getting new jars pnce yours are destroyed but my GM improvised rules where you reduce your pillar rating in the pillar associated with that organ as you rip out and ritually sanctify a new organ and jar. Essentially an exp buy but you do it through one of your power metrics for fluff reasons

It actually occurs to me you meant when it is killed during its active descent without hitting 0. Then it is a corpse and the mummy soul goes on a journey through the Twilight with Anpu as your psychopomp guide back to the body. When you make it back you kick back to life, lose a level of sekhem and have five boxes of agg damage. And are extremely angry because fuck

>OPP Mage stuff generally doesn't go that route. Not that I've noticed.

While DaveB definitely shares the politics of other WW writers and developers, and just like all WW books, Mage assume a more "inclusive" and "diverse" perspective overall, Dave generally tends to not be preachy and most of the sidebars or character issues are actually relevant to setting or book topic.

However, there's sometimes some poor choices in text and art, although in light of the other bad Order art, the Free Council piece is just poorly representative and goofy, rather than "in your face" political.

>CofD: Chaps

Thanks! So even if the players do a Happy horcrux hunt they are fucked and in for a nasty Surprise. Nice.

Thanks! Yeah i meant that.

>Also yes you can make girl mummies

This is WW/OPP - gender non-binary mummies are definitely a published thing. There's also the ability of mummies to inhabit new bodies which can be of a different sex, with the included sidebars and character text to discuss, and even accuse the reader of being mentally and morally deficient if they don't like or it or use a wrong pronoun.

>Oops, forgot the Free Council art.

>So even if the players do a Happy horcrux hunt they are fucked and in for a nasty Surprise
The new body trick isn't without cost or risk. It halves your memory rating and if the one conducting the ritual fucks up you get a Bad End most mummies never would face. Fuck it up and they turn into a shuankhsen as Ammut eats the majority of your soul.

That being said it isn't that hard to do right, just takes one sux on an occult check representing the ritual. Gods help you of you do it wrong though. But also a major theme of fighting mummies is "get fucked" when you as characters don't know how they work. There's smart ways to combat them, like subtly destroying cults and denying them their occult support structure but would a couple new vampires who don't even know the Arisen walk their earth think to do that?

Did Dave select or approve all the Awakening art?

What are, if any, the limitations to the magic of a Supernal being?

Do they have infinite reach? Cast lasting spells? Break normal rules of magic (e.g. time travel outside the lifespan of the target)?

As the dev I think he had to approve it if not search for or commission it himself

That's the fatherfuckin Libertine Pride parade you insensitive *phobe.