Wich system would you use if you had to run a Final Fantasy campaign ?

Wich system would you use if you had to run a Final Fantasy campaign ?

Hardmode:You have to name one system for each numbered installement of the serie, feel free to quote the spin-offs (Cristal Chronicles) or sequels (X-2) if you want but please focus on the main episodes. The MMO episodes like XI or XIV are excluded

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=5PLGBkWm88I
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

FFd6 exists, user

And from what I've read, it's no better than ZODIAC or that other one... Returners, was it?

FF1: ODnD except the GM rolls behind the screen 0 session to randomly determine what spells do nothing.
FF2: BRP
FF3: DnD 1e
FF4: DnD 2e
FF5: DnD 3.5 but only tier 3-4 classes
FF6: DnD 3.5 but everyone can learn spells
FF7: DnD 4e
FF8: Whatever system is the most cumbersome and most likely to cause players excessive amount of grief on how BS everything is and their options are redundant and they should have done some ass backwards way of actually doing what they want. Probably DnD 3.5
FF9: DnD 5e
FF10: iunno
FF12: iunno
FF13: DnD 3.5

I'd homebrew something using a skill-less D&D, like Final Fantasy was originally based on. Classes would exist, and their class abilities would be job commands (steal, protect, jump, the various flavors of magic). The melee classes would differ in damage output, speed (a new initiative system would be needed that counts speed as your initiative order) and damage reduction/avoidance.

The campaign would be a hexcrawl of course, because a Final Fantasy game would not be a Final Fantasy game without a random encounter table.

Impossible mode: Implement Final Fantasy Legend's limited-use weapons and the meat/parts evolution system.

FF8: GURPS
FF10: Numenera
FF10-2: BESM Sailor Moon
FFXIII: The GM's homebrew
FFXV: Rogue Trader

To clarify on the iunnos.

There isn't really a good system to soundly represent the type of stuff FF10 and FF12 did. At least, none that I can think of that get the systems of what FF10 and FF12 did.

Final fantasy d20 is a good page worth looking up.

SaGa

Those games are SaGa games. They got bootstrapped into being Final Fantasy games by translators too afraid to think people want anything other than Final Fantasy.

Fantasycraft I'd imagine. You could even give out teamwork feats for free during plot beats.

GURPS IS... actually a surprisingly good jab at both the system and the game. Good show, got a genuine laugh out of me.

Found something on Veeky Forums called kamigakari, it looks like it could work for that sort of game.

Kamigakari getting shilled for pretty much everything under the sun is making me rather suspicious of the system's actual suitability for anything.

FF1 is basically OG DnD.

Tactics, 11, 12, and 14, I'd say 4e.

Mutants and Masterminds.

Strike! fro the Tactics spinoffs for sure.

Seed as well.

Let me answer you with video:
youtube.com/watch?v=5PLGBkWm88I

And I would run it with Returner's 4th ed.

Returners
Zodiac
FFD6
Anima Beyond Fantasy
8bitDungeons
Superconsole
Remines

Forgot Retro Phaze

Final Fantasy Tactics works shockingly well in a slightly modified 4e. Ivalice also happens to be Final Fantasy's best setting, imo.

I'd be happy to use pretty much any system. I'd consider 5e D&D.

>ivalice is Final Fantasy's best setting

It's the ONLY setting, making it "best" by default. The other games are one-off worlds which can hardly be described as a "setting" except in the loosest of terms. You'd make a better case for describing the total iconography (the consistent summons, spells, weapons, names, technology like air ships, the appearance/importance of the crystal, the music, the overall art direction, etc.) as itself a setting that encompasses all of the games.

Yeah, you're better off taking the parts and using them to make your own setting.

>It's the ONLY setting, making it "best" by default. The other games are one-off worlds which can hardly be described as a "setting" except in the loosest of terms.
Eh. Not true, Hydaelyn (XIV) is a pretty detailed setting. Vana'diel from XI is cool too. I wouldn't say they're necessarily better than Ivalice, but they are a lot more detailed than the standard FF setting.

But really, the best/most fun thing to do is this Take the things you like most from each of the games, and make them fit into your own setting.

Actually this is a very nice point. Which level of crunch are you aiming for, OP?

>. The other games are one-off worlds which can hardly be described as a "setting" except in the loosest of terms
7 has had multiple spin-offs, and 10 and 13 both had sequels.