Of all the stereotypes that afflict the traditional gamer, which is least likely to be true?

Of all the stereotypes that afflict the traditional gamer, which is least likely to be true?

Other urls found in this thread:

i.4cdn.org/tg/1497917766141.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

That all we talk about is the one game we play

That we're intelligent.

me irl

That we enjoy traditional games.

That's a winner. I have met some of the dumbest motherfuckers at pick up games.

This.

[Spoiler] I've become too jaded to loce something[/spoiler]

fpbp

Honestly, we might have bad shit in the hobby, but having ONE interest isn't the problem. Quite the contrary.

Most "nerds" are dumb as fuck, yeah.

Ouch. That's accurate.

Thought the assertion that everyone is overweight and neckbearded is false according to Veeky Forums's own findings. Our own board-tan is modelled after the media bodytype prevalent amid posters (admittedly, only those who contributed pictures of themselves), which seems more to be vaguely thin and wiry, rather than fat and bearded.

Statistically speaking, Veeky Forums is mostly twinks.

Both of these.

Two of the best people I run campaigns with are nothing even close to the "fat smelly neckbeard" type.

One is a chef at a restaurant in his mid-twenties who has a similar body type to OP's pick. He also has a real thick southern accent and sounds dumb before you get into an actual conversation with him. He's actually a massive T.V. and Movie connoisseur and regularly listens to audio books while working out.

The second is a thin, tall, "I am the 1%" born into money, model-y guy with high cheekbones, that dresses in expensive fashion, etc. and he's probably the biggest nerd I know.

You'd never know either of these guys spend thousands on MTG, miniatures, video games, table top games, or whatever else, every year.

Being legitimately sexist or misogynistic.

This is the big one, I think.

These hobbies get a lot of people who come into them thinking that just because they're into what most people consider nerdy things, they must be smart, just for being into it.

That's definitely not the case. I have met people who are dumb as shit who play tabletop RPGs and card games. Just dumb as a box of hammers at the bottom of a frozen lake. So fucking stupid.

Not really a stereotype, just the image the hobby can offer.

>Despite what you've seen on TV or in the movies, the typical traditional gamer is not in fact a cute grill

I think many people kinda take "intelligent" for "well read".

Gamers tend to be relatively well read, honestly, but that's not the same thing.

Among gamers you would probably meet more intelligent people than at a supermarket or whatever, but yeah, you would meet more crazy idiots too.

And it's completely worthless fearmongering by people who have never even set foot in the hobby, so it counts.

Tabletop gaming is the most inclusive hobby left aside from maybe hobbyist model building (railroads, etc.).

Are traditional gamers "street smart"?

No

That they're all male.

We seem to be mostly middle class types. Of course we aren't street smart. I defy you to find me an avid fa/tg/uy who's from the hood.

That we are satanists.

No, seriously. Funnily enough I tend to encounter:

a) atheists (generally not of the fedora tipping variety)
b) christians (of the not Chick variety, of course, but still christians)
c) don't really give a fuck (probabbly the lesser group in numbers)

For all the shit we play with religion in my experience we're pretty boring in this regard. Don't really see much new agers are whatever they call themselves now.

>maybe it's because we ARE a cult, in the end

I kinda agree, but I still think it's bad. Nowdays I'm even thinking that if the gaming industry actually TRIED going for sexy imagery it would work better than Just Another Big Titted Whore Scoundrel.

That we all play D&D and think it's the best system.

I know the funky streets like the back of my hand, dillio.

Catholicism is the most Veeky Forums religion.
Search your hearts, you know it to be true.

>Another impressive feature of the church is the collection of marble tombstones in the nave in which were buried important knights. The more important knights were placed closer to the front of the church. These tombstones, richly decorated with in-laid marble and with the coats of arms of the knight buried below as well as images relevant to that knight, often telling a story of triumph in battle, form a rich visual display in the church.

This. I'm a twinky little fuck who needs to get /litfit/.

My entire group are all Christians. (One's dad is a minister.)

It doesn't really affect games much except certain topics are a flat out no-go. (Anything approaching lewd due to certain members of the group. Not even fade-to-black stuff.)

Oh, also no alcohol.

Tell me you tried Dogs in the Vineyard. Seriously.

That's funny, I'm a chubby fuck who's trying to become a twinky little fuck

My whole group is Mormon, and I haven't.

Nope, looks like it could be fun though!

Game is kinda difficult to sell* but works pretty well.

*=not really for the religious aspects, but 'cause you don't usually associate the West with that.

Socially unpleasant.

There is an inescapable minority of traditional gamers who are just shitty to be around and impose themselves upon anyone who puts up with them. So the stereotype will always be there.

But I think that the average person hanging out with some average gamers would be surprised by how charming and considerate most of them actually were; screwy, awkward, neurotic, sure, but not unpleasant to be around. That's the biggest myth.

>you don't usually associate the West with that
After living in that area for awhile and reading the first Sherlock Holmes story, I sure do!

I'll have to have it on hold, though. I already have two lesser known RPG's I'm planning on playing with them. (Skullduggery and Hillfolk, however I've been having problems with Pelgrane Press even SHIPPING my order. Never buy from them...)

The biggest false stereotype is that Veeky Forums is obese.

After GW's prices none of us can afford to get fat.

Worst Sherlock Holmes story by far.

You have people from all walks of life.

The second most shitty person I've met is an avid 40k/Sigmar player.

Some of the best people I've met are also tabletop players.

It was really good IMO until the hour long (audiobook) backstory with the Mormons. I'm glad that was mostly done away with in the rest of his stories.

The interesting thing with DITV in my opinion is that it's a game of contrast.

The West, but not the Clint Eastwood "hero alone escaping problems" West.

The preacher, but the preacher is (usually at least) a well meaning teenager/early 20 yo.

The faith to uphold, but no one but you to decide what is right and wrong.

The virgin thing.

Even the dorkiest, palest dudes I know are in relationships.

Though half the time it's some "polyamorous" relationship with a woman who is older/fatter than they are.

Any Idea where I can get a download for it? Dogs in the vineyard I mean. Couldn't find it in pdf share thread.

i.4cdn.org/tg/1497917766141.pdf

That's hilarious.

I want to believe that the text was added to the pic later to make it funnier, and wasn't actually written by the dude with the knife and the nerf gun.
But, no, I'm probably wrong.

Anyway, I think lots of virgins play traditional games, but probably not as many as people might assume.

Thanks.

I dont personally know regarding this pic but from my own experience, odds are, you are correct in that assumption.
I have discovered that a lot of the pics likes this that we rage/cringe about are just goofy pics someone took but the addition of dialogue is what changes the tone.

Hell I got disenfranchised with /pol/ pretty early on when I discovered a lot of the Tumblr comments and accounts saying absolutely batshit things were falseflag accounts made by other /pol/acks. The real kicker: many of the extremist left ideals that are going around were given momentum by the troll accounts and comments being spread around and garnering attention. The crazies basically said "see! I'm not the only one!" and things snowballed from there.

We are our own worst enemy.

pfffft speak for yourself i'm adorable as fuck

I'll take confirmation bias for $500, Alex

Depends. I used to game with a lot of ex-cons. So yes, in those guys' case.

For me, the biggest misconception is that we're all upper-class or at least middle class. I know a lot of gamers from poor homes or who have fallen on hard times. And plenty who aren't college educated.

Reading through this, and I can't decide whether I should be offended or not. I'm leaning towards just laughing and enjoying it.

That we have no friends. When this stereotype started playing online wasn't really a thing yet so it never made sense.

Depends, back in Uni a bunch of black people still played Yu-gi-oh and still had the same social retardation as a lot of fa/tg/uys.

I used to play L5R with a guy who had done time in prison for selling weed.

One of my DnD/drinking buddies spent time in federal prison for robbing armored cars.

One of my gaming buddies spent time in prison for selling crack.

It happens.

That gaming consist's of the same four people in a base all the time always. Everyone I know who is actively gaming is in at least two different games with different groups of people

That we all dress up for our games.

> not of the Chick variety
> he's never had the pleasure of DMing a four year long weekly campaign for a group of literal fanatics role-playing a band of clerics, paladins, and witch hunters on a divinely inspired quest to purge eldritch demons, cabals of witches, hordes of undead, and the insane cultists of an evil god in a dying world

I pity you user, I truly do.

>plays warhammer
>is a shitty person
no one could've seen that coming

guess that makes you the fat smelly idiot then

This, although I haven't noticed the spoiler phenomenon. But there is a reason why the "DM's girlfriend" is a stereotype - it's extremely rare for me to meet a gamer who hasn't had at least one significant relationship.

>robbing armored cars
Why the fuck are you playing D&D with him and not Shadowrun, because you're clearly friends with a PC

Maybe Shadowrun was too real for him lol.

Yep. Totally not virgins. Not a single one.

...Yeah, I know we're not actually universal, but I think we make up a decent percentage of the Veeky Forums community.

Yeah, but that's because Veeky Forums is on Veeky Forums, and Veeky Forums is a virgin stomping ground. Hell, we've even got a couple of /r9k/ colonies perpetually sustaining themselves here.

>Pelgrane Press even SHIPPING my order. Never buy from them...)
On the other hand, they've always been pretty great about online orders for me. But I've only gotten my physical pelgrane books from stores and cons.

Traditional Games are HUGE in prison. My dad is an ex con who hates my nerdiness and thinks I am addcted to the internet because I am a wagecuck with very few irl friends and a perma-virgin, but he has told me about his Drow Ranger character. Who I am pretty sure was literally not!drizzt. It's one of the few things prisoners can do that entertains them, requires nothing that can be used to stab, main, or communicate with others, and isn't physically exhausting.

As far as I can tell, my dad hadn't even heard of d&d until he was in prison.

I kinda feel like I should make fun of him for being a nazi who RP'd as a dark elf. Then again, I guess white nationalists are basically Drow just without Lolth.

Hrm. Kekth.

Beats Lawlth I suppose.

I grew up in the south side of Detroit and am still alive. So I think I am if we want some confirmation bias.

Us bear-tier monsters don't want to scare you little cuties off.

That we're all jobless losers who live with our parents.

I mean, I am, but almost every other Veeky Forumser I've met makes a decent income.

You'd need one to afford 40k or MTG

This, though.

Ethnic Nerds - both middle and lower class - go in big for Yu-Gi-Oh.

Disappointed there isn't a designated Black/Latino/Whatever RPG. My gut tells me it would be Exalted, but we don't have a big enough sample size.

This, definitely.

To be totally, frank, I find most people that share my hobby to be mildly infuriating. So keen on 1-upping each other in the intellect department, but so goddamn unintelligent and sour.

The kind of guys that handle a loss in chess by explaining that they underestimated you and went too easy, and handle a win by pretending they didn't need to try and proceeding to give you useless tips.

Depends.

I think we tend to have broader spheres of awareness than most considering the type of shit we need to consider to craft realistic settings, but it's true that a Shadowrun GM's portrayal of street culture is likely bastardized horseshit.

Broad, but shallow knowledge base, I'd imagine.

not particularly. Though I imagine mtg has gotten a bit harder to break into after the secondary market went crazy.

t. low class poor as dirt person who got a ticket to a PT

Once you have a proper network (which is inevitable if you're playing regularly and not a twat), borrowing any cards you're missing is easy.

I used to think everyone who was a real person was 'street smart', with the kind of detached from reality white collars just being movie characters.

And then I got into traditional games.

Chicken dinner.

I know this is Veeky Forums but there's no need to roleplay in this thread.

Way to get triggered.

Well, there's also the Otaku principle at work. Basically, if you're extremely enthusiastic about one or two hobbies, even if you have a fairly low income, if your living expenses aren't very high you'll still wind up spending a decent amount on your hobbies. So a single father of three working at a McDonalds probably won't have a fully painted army of Tyranids, but a 32 year old who lives with his parents and works part time very well might.
Yeah. There's things like "Spears of the Dawn", but desu those are at least as much for white Afrophiles as for anyone else. What makes you think Exalted would be the Yu-Gi-Oh of rpgs? High flying anime style?

Huh, the system for this is actually really quite interesting. Are there any other games that use this system? I want to try it, but i'm not particularly interested in playing a game of not!mormons.

I'm pretty sure you play as straight up Mormons, user.

Nope. They aped the shit out of them it's true. There are direct parallels all over the place, but there are discrepancies. These are not!Mormons in the same way you get not!vikings in a lot of fantasy games. The trappings are all there, but altered, and a good bit of it seems to be based on a flawed or sensationalized understanding.

Wtf? Expand on this plz!

What his dad's story or the con playing dnd thing? It osnt tjat hard to understand really. Lots of time and the prison doesn't mind letting them handle dice cause you can't kill a guy with dice.

But all the same, still not a grill.

I find it hard to believe that nut jobs haven't figured out /some/ way to use them as a weapon in prison.

That we're all out of shape fucks. I mean, I'm pretty out of shape but I'm working to get better. On the other hand all of my players are crazy fit, besides tabletop gaming and role-playing as heroes of old, their biggest hobbies are all sports.

Crazy as they may be there are some things that are just impossible to weaponize. I think dice are probably one of them. I mean I know it's theoretically possible to weaponize newspaper and the elastic from underwear wastebands, but dice? Ok, maybe if you made like a sling to throw it with...shit, you can weaponize dice as a projectile.

That's a claim only idiots make, and most of the nerds I've met have been far from well read.

Anyone who's spent even a little time on this board should know that there are some truly retarded people who are into these hobbies. Like, "how the fuck do you even manage to function as a human being?"-retarded.

Time to attend service at The Divine Chapel of Our Guys

that normies can't play and have a blast doing it. They make great players, tend to rules lawyer and whine less.

So much this. Back in the day, D&D was considered a "nerdy" hobby and so anybody who actually played it might have been considered "smart" by extension.

This is so not true. Gamers have their share of dumb asses as they do intelligent people.

DEFLECTION!

I am always surprised by the fact most boardgame Meetup are populated by people too stupid and impatient to understand any kind of complex game that can go over 2 hours

>it's extremely rare for me to meet a gamer who hasn't had at least one significant relationship.

Want to meet me? I am 22 and never had even a kiss let alone a relationship. Gaming is pretty much my entire life and I'm even considering quitting my job to avoid fucking up my game group.

That they're persecuted. If anything, they're just not understood/considered interesting by most.