How would playing as a character that relys solely on talking his way out of fights and dumb luck as well as some hand...

How would playing as a character that relys solely on talking his way out of fights and dumb luck as well as some hand to hand combat experience play out in a standard D&D game?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/4KNqFhJ6-n0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

CEAAAAAAASAAAAAHHHH

A bard with hand to hand perks.

You can't make a PNP character based on luck because luck is inherently retroactive in nature. If somebody is "lucky" you are describing what has happened to them in the past, not what will happen to them in the future.

A luck-based character works in fiction because the author determines what will happen, but it doesn't work in an interactive medium without some sort of metaplot unless you interpret luck as "touching the author's dick under the table for favors," but that's a different concept entirely.

There are plenty of PnP systems which incorporate luck as a choice/conditional re-roll. Hell, even D&D had that in older editions.

>You can't make a PNP character based on fighting because fighting is inherently retroactive in nature. If somebody is "a good fighter" you are describing what has happened to them in the past, not what will happen to them in the future.

Poorly. D&D as a system doesn't support anything but fighting shit head on, you'd have to rely solely on GM fiat.

Ask your DM.

In 5e, there is a Monk subclass focused on maintaining peace and healing people. That's pretty close.

3.5 had some options available in the form of luck feats. You could also make an argument to reflavor Factotum and Font of Inspiration into sheer dumb luck when employing really nutty plans, which would give you much better mileage in terms of power.

4e would be a matter of taking things that work off of Action Points. You'd likely be playing a Human to help facilitate that since they have a lot of feat and PP support along those lines. The system is even more flexible at reflavoring so you could easily call it lady luck's blessing.

Both systems describe their traditional XP and loot rewards based off of defeating enemies though, so your DM needs to be complicit with adapting the rules to allow for progression while avoiding fights. Most groups do this already, but there are some sticklers out there who are adamant about the "true D&D experience."

Honestly you want a better system for this. As bloated as the rules are, Shadowrun has a built-in Luck stat and mechanics that derive from it. Try working with one of those.

You are a fucking idiot mate. If a person is good at fighting, that means they have an advantage in fights and are favored to win in future fights. if you flip 100 coins and they are all heads, that doesn't mean you are "lucky" and that the next coin is more likely to land on heads. Kill yourself.

5e has a "Lucky" feat, Halflings have a "Lucky" racial feature and rogues have "Stroke of Luck" as a class feature.

A monk with high Cha, because lets face it, he can only run off fights and he has at best some hand to hand combat competency

Side note: I tried Shadowrun once and I genuinely have no clue how people play it. The rules seemed bizarrely half-baked and while the core combat rules...exist, there's a lot of minutia that are just absent. I made a decker and not one of the experienced players in the group could tell me how many drones I could control at once, or where I could find that information. We spent about 40 minutes looking through the books we had before I just left.

You can't, because D&D isn't built for talking your way out of stuff often. 95% of the rules of the game pertains to combat. Even when reading through my rulebooks, I get puzzled when they talk about how D&D has different styles of play from pure dungeon crawling, to political intrigue, to somewhere in the middle. I have seen or heard of a D&D campaign that could be described as political intrigue or social-focused. You're gonna be the guy that tries to talk your party out of fights and fails every time (due to DM fiat) while the rest of the party just wishes that you'd shut up and let them start killing things.

SR4/5 is annoying as fuck to deal with. I had the misfortune of playing a Technomancer in SR4, which is basically your decker tables/rules with an additional table of replacements and changes placed on top. It was so confusing that I just settled on boosting a Tacnet and being support.

It takes a certain kind of DM that is able to be consistent with the very loose RP rules that D&D has. I've been in one and D&D is definitely very good at standing out of the way of good RP. It just doesn't do anything to support RP.

>D&D
>95%
I see what you did there

death by green slime

I mean, you can do it.
But you'll probably end up pissing off the fighter who just wants to smash shit after 5 sessions of no combat since you keep avoiding the fights.

Monk with high Charisma and any feats that allow a 'luck' mechanic for re-rolls. Maybe a bard cross-class. Halflings also have some racial abilities which may allow re-rolls

>D&D campaign that could be described as political intrigue or social-focused
D&D is one of the FEW RPGs out there that actually has social interaction rules. Most most most other RPGs do even bother, go out and play any random RPG and most of the ones you play will not have them.

>I play XYZ and it has Social rules!
Yes well I did say a random-RPG. Not the good ones with Social rules that tend to float to the top.

>Did You Just Say D&D Has GOOD Social Rules?
Haha. No no silly straw man user. All I said is it ATTEMPTS them, that's it. They suck balls to be honest, but having a system that you have the option to throw out is better than an RPG book just saying "Role play it out!" because you should be doing that WITH the rules anyway.

>D&D is one of the FEW RPGs out there that actually has social interaction rules.
Link or quote them.

>I made a decker
There's your problem. First time players should never play them. They should probably just go street sam, phys adept, or some sort of face. Decking is total shit in every edition.

For OP, make a phys adept in sr 5th edition, get elemental strike [light] if your GM allows, then get Commanding Voice for "Your next line is:" shenanagins, and lastly a fuck-ton of edge to survive multiple Kars accidents.

>mate
cor blimey mate wot are ye doin in me pockets
best be frowin' anotha coupla dice onna table innit

>Be fighter
>have charisma
>take lucky

Wow was that so hard

youtu.be/4KNqFhJ6-n0

>Solely

I'm not sure if you'd call it "standard D&D" but a number of 4E classes could refluff their powers as sly tricks and strokes of luck. You just have to get creative coming up with new trucks and strokes of luck that have the same MECHANICAL end result while still being distinct narratively.

>You can't make a PNP character based on luck because luck
Yes you can.

>Factotem5/Fortune'sFriend5/Chameleon10.
Jack of all trades, master of maybe this'll work.
Nab luck feats for re-rolling various things and make sure to make the actual action/result more odd and extravagant each time you have to make a re-roll.
>Go to make a jump.
>Fall short, DM starts calculating fall damage,
>Luck Reroll=18+7+Inspiration Point boost
>Actually Double-Jump by torquing in the air and land in a pose.
>Or bounce on a tree-branch hanging off the side.
>An epic wizard happens to be portaling through at the time and your PC gets flapped by a demon's wing to the other side.

For my milage though,
>Bard with ACF or Archetype for sneaky thievery stuff.
>Go into Luckstealer PrC and follow up with Fatespinner.