I'm gonna be playing as an American character...

I'm gonna be playing as an American character, how does he reconcile the fact that his country is ultimately built on a lie? The Declaration of Independence states that all men were created equally yet the man who wrote that was a slave owner, many of the men who wrote the constitution were too and all of the land that America sits on was taken after genociding the natives. How does he juggle the belief that America is a force for good when historically it has been one of the most evil countries in the world founded on the worst genocide of all time?

Keep it Veeky Forums related please

Come on user, wait like an hour before reposting the same bait thread that was just deleted with a thin veneer of Veeky Forums.

Enjoy your ban.

Pathetic. Find something better to do.

Well, a lot of that depends on the timeline. What era are you playing in?

Hijacking this thread, what sort of adventures can occur in the Colonial US?

Fuck you. Report and move on.

European folklore mixed in with traditional Native American beliefs. Witch hunting. Implications of being a magic user in a puritan era.

Maybe he tries to put everything in context. A 'my country right or wrong' thing.

90% or so of the native population was already dead before Jamestown was ever founded thanks to the Spanish bringing smallpox, "all men are created equal" doesn't sound so hypocritcal when you literally don't consider the slaves to be human, realpolitik - these could all be the things he uses to keep himself sleeping at night.

The greatest patriot is not the man who believes his country can do no wrong, but the one who knows that it can and has, just like any other...

...but decides that it's worth fighting for ANYWAY.

> he doesn't know that disease is what killed 97% of the native american population, not bullets and imperialism

>Implications of being a magic user in a puritan era.
Spinning of of this the issues one would face if they were a genuine miracle worker in such a setting. Would you be able to curry favor with your fellow Christians with them seeing you for what you are or would you find a sad end like many prophets and holy men before you?

He concedes that while people who conceived of the ideas may have been flawed, the concepts that they upheld as being good and just are worthy of respect.

He believes in the "myth" or "paragon" of the "all-American," whatever that is to him.

Example, if I were to run an "All-American" as it were, I'd have him have the following personality traits;

>A strong suspicion of and disdain for the centralization of power
>A presupposition that all politicians are liars
>A desire to have means to protect one’s own way of life from violent harm (often through superior firepower)
>A desire to stand on one’s own, to be able to live by one’s own means
>A desire to be left alone, and to leave well enough alone in turn
>A desire to be kind to one’s neighbors
>A strong disgust, or at the very least irascible annoyance at any system of belief, government, or economics which violates the above

It'd be hard to play that kind of character in a campaign, depending on your GM, though, because unless there is an encroaching force of evil, he'll likely be more of a tourist than an adventurer, not that that is necessarily bad. It might be fun to play a kind-hearted, but incredibly dangerous man who is looking to broaden his horizons more than to fulfill any real quest.

Makes me think about the noble lie in Plato's Republic...

That's some hot b8 there. Nearly replied seriously.

>Keep it Veeky Forums related please
Whatever.

Plato's Republic is the handbook for why democracy is objectively terrible, written by and for an audience that not only experienced the birth and death of democracy in Greece but also saw firsthand how its failures compounded and how its ultimate downfall came about. They were kind enough to write it all down so people wouldn't repeat their mistakes.

There is no such thing as the noble lie, just the uncomfortable truth.

Why

Not to mention the fact that the natives were not exactly the most welcoming by the time America became its own thing. By that time, an american's most likely to hear about natives in the context of "a war party burned, raped, and pillaged another farm and enslaved the woman"

Not exactly something that's going to inspire much pity into the plight of the native.

>Keep it Veeky Forums related please
Who else is hoping that quest threads are allowed to return to Veeky Forums?

Literally no one.

whats the bait here? seems fine to me.

Me

fuck off /leftypol/

>tfw no gf

this is what you want this is what you get

I've always honestly wanted to play as an American who heads to England and gets involved a ton of shit around the time frame of 1812 here. Some business owner looking to expand his market and connections deal.

But user, Native Americans were forest spirits in glorious tan human forms. They were the most non-violent human beings in the history of the planet Earth, which they created by the way, and they tamed the wilderness through dancing and song, and lived in a society so advanced that it appeared as a rape-happy phallocentric extravaganza of war and violence to the unenlightened Europeans.

Kinda what I was gearing at, though I'm not the biggest fan of Plato, I'll steal his ideas when they make some sense. It's more about the character in question not only staking a claim on the identity of "american" by ascribing values they see as suited to it, but attempting to maybe wrest control from the same "not so good" thaspects by choosing to be their version of American.

It's like a reverse no-true-scotsman; where the person in question is saying, "Fuck it, if y'all ain't gonna be true Americans, I will, and I'll lead by example." Whatever that envisioning of American-ness may be.

I only gave how I'd roll him as an example; if you wanted to see other traits, both positive and negative as being "All-American" I'd argue that'd be fine, too.

I was more pointing out that one can understand or align oneself with a belief, as the result of either deliberation or being taught to do so, and not agree with the actions of people who may have been instrumental in it's conception.

>Jormungand 1812 edition
I'd play it

>/leftypol/
There is no such thing. /pol/shit is /pol/shit, no matter where on the political (or autism) spectrum it falls. It should all be kept in /pol/ where it belongs.

Also, kill yourself OP.

>tower of human skulls casts new light on aztecs

News fresh off the wire, user.

The Apaches (and some other midwestern and southwestern indian tribes) btw were a full CE culture. Read Empire of the Summer Moon. Torture was the norm.

The Spaniards and Americans objectively raised the average morality level of the world by crushing the Aztecs and Indians.

Beer.
Or just don't think about it....
Just do whatever Hank Hill will do in any given situation and you'll be pretty damn American.