So what do Chaos Space Marines *do* on a daily basis when they aren't in combat...

So what do Chaos Space Marines *do* on a daily basis when they aren't in combat? Specifically Khorne and Nurgle Marines (we know what Noise Marines do, and I think the average rubric Marines don't really do much at all...)

Really though... do they play card games? Do they drink? Do they make friends with cultists? They can't *just* sleep or work out when they aren't fighting, can they?

Other urls found in this thread:

1d4chan.org/wiki/What_it's_like
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I've never been able to conceptualize what a CSM 'administered' world looks like or how it functions outside of LMAO RANDUM DEATH AND RAPE :^)

maybe some novels cover this

If I remember they mostly just sit around and do nothing. Or they get ready to organize and go on raiding trips.
In the Siege of Castellax book many of the Iron Warrior CSM had government positions IE managing slaves, administration over the space port, production quotas and economics, security etc.
Since they have the most power out of the followers of Chaos they pretty much run the gov and what not
Pretty interesting desu

Khorne? Probably chat on the glory of their greatest kils, clean their weapons, engage in blood sports, plan the next invasion.

Nurgle? I honestly think they would be trying to talk the non-converted into supporting Nurgle, be it slaves or other marines. Possibly playing with their "Pets" AKA smaller daemons that they're befriended/ infected animals.

Tzeentch devoted probably discuss ideas and plot with and against eachother, they no doubt read a lot, both fiction and non-fiction. Test out new spells and collect the supplies for making rituals.

Slaanesh devoted more than likely groom themselves. Eat, drink and party. They get high and just chat about their greatest feats, probably resulting in a few brawls. No doubt some sex mixed in there, Then they go do their obsessions e.g. Guys who like smithing go try to create the best sword EVAR and etc.

Undivided more than likely do a combination, or just chat with eachother on their opinions of the chaos gods, and which they like more/less

A Chaos World is likely devoted solely to either the glorification of the Dark Gods, armament and production of their weaponry (which by nature requires administration and organization) or other essential support for any major operation.

Something similar to what ISIS or African militant groups do, except more eeeeevuuuuullllll

Depends on the Warband in question:

The more organized legions like the Word Bearers, Iron Warriors and Black Legion will most likely create a new society with them firmly on the top. Word Bearers will focus on the exaltation of the gods, so expect lots of statues, chapels and sacrifices to the gods. The population will most likely be forfeit, although those that pledge allegiance to the gods will be favored among servants.

Iron Warriors, as this user says, probably organize the world into some sort of fortress world, to ready for more raids and attacks on the Imperium at large, or simply to solidify their position. Fortresses, weapon manufacturing, and a focus on militarization would all be facets of the Iron Warrior's rule. As for the people on the planet, don't expect much in the way of mercy, but if you show worth or use beyond that of mere labor, I can't imagine the Iron Warriors would over look it.

Black Legion is probably the most likely to simply establish themselves as the leader of what ever was in pre-existence, if only because they were never the kind to take root in the first place. Rather, they rule through charisma, fear and strong central leadership. They know how to get the best results out of everyone under their heel; Have the Iron warrior run production, have the Emperor's child keep the nobles drugged up and in your palm, etc. And when a idiot steps up, or some one tries to out plot you, you step down hard on them as a example, just like Daddy Hor- I mean, Abaddon.

I imagine that Night Lords are very good at controlling planets through heavy use of psychology and fear tactics, although they would most likely install themselves as a presence like the Night Haunter; as in, give us tribute in the form of guns or bodies, or WE COME FOR YOU.

Who the fuck knows with the Alpha Legion? You might not even know anything has changed, until you get shot in the back

The big 4 warbands are all far too warped to do anything though

Daemon worlds. They turn them into daemon worlds.

>see that pic
>haha shit why would I ever join anything but slaanesh
>hey, wait a minute...

There are some examples of chaos warped marines doing stuff that isn't specifically combat, but the best example that I have is from the Night Lord trilogy.

One of the main characters, Uzas, is a marine who is deeply under the thrall of Khorne, and is little more than a crazed monster the entire series. When he isn't on a mission, he's either practicing with his chain axe or deliberately trying to start fights with either the general populace in their Strike Cruiser or other NL. Eventually this bites him in the ass, and I do think they actually have to contain him nearing the end because he's such a fucking pain to deal with.

Regular chaos marines aren't super different than loyalists, and actually have a lot more character to them. You can get why they act as they do, and the events that lead up to them being assholes makes a lot of sense. When the rest of the squad wasn't fighting, they spent time either training their personal serfs, practicing, or talking and setting up their next plan or long term goal. You have to remember that even without the shackles of the Imperium, they still are space marines. They're born to fight, and are raised from the beginning of their indoctrination to do so.

The idea of a khorne marine doing underwater basked weaving is still a lot of fun to think about, though.

I bombed my perception check, what'd you notice?

in one of the BL HH books a world eater literally head butts the wall like a metronome to pass the time because of the butchers nails.

Frankly the exact same thing as Space Marines: meditation, combat sparring, repairing and polishing armor and weapons, religious shit and strategizing for their next sortie.

The only difference is that when CSM spar they don't stop at first blood.

The Planet of Sorcerers seems like an 'okay' place so long as your one of the TSon sorcerers.
They at least have big forum where they were discussing the invasion of Fenris and knowing them a fuck off huge library.

For an expansive setting such as 40k, there is almost very little fluff regarding non-war activity.

But then again, in the grim dark future, there is only war...

For fun, I'd like to imagine that the 40k setting is one enormous LARP session that has been going on non-stop for countless millenia.

All these guys clock in for work at the start of the LARP session from 9 to 5. Then they clock out to get some rest and a drink at the bar.

1d4chan.org/wiki/What_it's_like

well, Khornefollowers would do pitfights in their "free-time" do determine their ranks

Nurgle, no idea, maybe just sitting around, being ill and all

Eh, there's a decent amount if you know where to look. Gaunts Ghosts, Eisenhorn, Ravenor and the Shira Calpurnia series all offer decent examples of what it's like in the everyday life of the Imperium.

Oh shit, never-mind. That's pretty clever of the artist.

Khorne marines would keep their gear in shape, practice fighting techniques, plan invasions, consult their daemonic patrons for good targets, and of course hold trials by combat to see who's worthy of becoming the next generation of marines.

Nurgle marines would likely take after their patron and garden as a hobby, probably play with some tiny daemons if they're of that disposition. Other than that keep their equipment ready, plot new invasions, cook up fresh diseases to give the galaxy, and other such fun activities.

Pretty much all a Space Marine's life is war or preparation for war. It's all they know how to do. Excluding a few loyalists who take up hobbies in their spare time (Ultramarines, Blood Angels) but even for them it's just something to do when they aren't fighting.

I'm not seeing anything. Is there a hidden penis or something?

The Word Bearers Omnibus goes into detail about what life is like between missions on a battle barge. As you can imagine, it's pretty hellish. Basically no-fun strict religious household except you worship darkness.

Look very closely at the edges and corners, see if you notice anything.

oh spooky. I always thought Slaanesh was the least dangerous but that looks horrifying.

I don't understand.

I don't get it.

I think its bullshit the pic shows nothing.

Unless they're just talking about the eyes and mouths

Pretty standard chaos fare though, no?

The only thing thats horrifying is the terrible anatomy of slaanesh. They're just memeing.

>So what do Chaos Space Marines *do* on a daily basis when they aren't in combat?
Black Crusade offers some insight into what the forces of chaos do between Black Crusades. and most of it involves gaining power and prestige among the denizens of whatever warp storm they are currently hiding in. surprisingly there is some form of organization among these worlds, it just shows more open contempt toward human life than the imperium, which would prefer to hide their wanton murder and torture of it's people under the veil of "preserving humanity" or some such.

...You were being misdirected...
THAT'S
NOT
A
TAIL

>Iron Warriors, as this user says,
>probably organize the world into some sort of fortress world, to ready for more raids and attacks on the Imperium at large, or simply to solidify their position.
Stranded on the tiny outpost of Ishkabibble VII, infighting begins in the regimented ranks of the Iron Warriors as someone fortifies the restroom with claymores AGAIN.

Other Iron Warriors, unamused by the restroom fortification, began to fortify the corridor outside, blocking off the only way out of the restroom. This blockade prevents traffic through said corridor. If someone doesn't find a weakness in the established mini-forts soon then yet more of the Legion are going to start fortifying the ends of the corridor in retaliation. The last time a cascading fortress mini-forting happened, 600 Iron Warriors starved to death defending their mini-forts from other mini-forts before it was broken up.

>Greetings my dear Legionaries, I just came to the conclusion that this whole decimation thing wasn't my brightest... wait stop what are you doing here?
>Fortifying the cantina my primarch. The Xth Grand Company took the kitchen by drop pod last week to cut our allies in the training Cages off. So we are pinning them here to starve the basilisks in the scrabble room.
>Fuuuck this I wont clean up this mess, maybe if I tell Dorn that I'm in the centre he may do it form me, that fucking aspie.

>For an expansive setting such as 40k, there is almost very little fluff regarding non-war activity.

no there's a shitload, yall motherfuckers just don't know how to read. these threads wouldn't be made every week if 40k players actually read the novels or at least their codexes and wiki, but I suspect the vast majority of the average 40k player's 40k knowledge actually comes from internet shitposting and they literally never read any 40k anything, including even the rules section of codexes. notice how many people on Veeky Forums are completely lost at listbuilding without software. a lot of people playing now likely got the bulk of their fluff from DoW franchise and stopped there.

just read the books nigga. every single novel about space marines shows them during downtime and all kinds of these questions like the lives of imperial citizens under smurfs to what a marine does when he's not shooting at orks.

I still don't get it

No that's a tail. It's not even Slaaneshs tail. It comes up from the bottom of the image and curls around behind hir. You can even see the pointy tip on hes right-hand side, so it's not even a penis.

Sorry, if you were thinking it's a giant penises or a stalk that makes Slaanesh out to be nothing more than a giant tiddie angler fish lure, sadly your imagination was more clever than the artist.

Khorne marines fight until they pass out then they wake up an fight again

See, I *was* just thinking 'big serrated penis', but goddamn do I love the 'angler' idea, where the perfect sexy being is a lure, and that vague cloud of mouths at the bottom of the screen is actual Slaanesh.
(Though, this means I have no idea what the dude who originally posted was saying, unless he was also just referring to the angry maws at the bottom.)

I prefer Abnett's interpretation of Chaos held worlds in realspace to ADBs. Where the Chaos Marines don't bother with the day to day administration, are at the very peak of their little empire. There aren't a whole lot of them running around, so it makes sense to me that they're an oligarchic elite.

Yeah that would be super cool and fitting for slaanesh

You're just an autistic fuck, there is literally no reason to build lists with pen and paper when battlescribe exists to do the math for you, allow easy adjustments and present every option clearly on a single page.
If those authors were canon then the imperium stops being idiotic and unvelievable. Everything written in the rulebooks contradicts the livable imperium they depict.

I don't think your first reply had anything to do with the post you linked

Well this thread is about what spikey space marines do in their down time not normal space marines.