I want a game that simulates a traditional JRPG. What are my options? I'm thinking 4e...

I want a game that simulates a traditional JRPG. What are my options? I'm thinking 4e, but there surely must be more than that, right?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=5PLGBkWm88I
img.4plebs.org/boards/tg/image/1378/21/1378215838453.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

dunno if it's any good

>I want a game that simulates a traditional JRPG. What are my options?

D&D Basic

Strike!

One of the japanese systems maybe?

Which ones are translated besides Ryuutama? I like RT, but I think that captures a different flavor than that of high heroics fantasy

*FULLY translated. I appreciate effort, but I don't mean "user translated 'most' of the core rules once in a poorly formatted text file"

> I want a game that simulates a traditional JRPG
So a game that has a bunch of meaningless math backed up by overblown numbers, where actions are restricted only to certain maneuvers, and where players have no agency?

Hey, buddy, if I wanted your grossly oversimplified obvious observations of only the negative aspects, I would have posted this thread in reddit.

D&D 4th?

But user, you did.

So give me the positive ones.
Because, as I see it, jRPGs are akin to playing a boragame and narrating an unrelated plot over it, regardless of the outcome of the game.

I don't think he want to play Pathfinder, user.

>So give me the positive ones.
waifus, waifu(male), music, scenery, storyline

JRPGs are better at exploration and secrets than any other type of video game RPGs

D&D really, its anime trash. Magic doesn't make any fucking sense.

I mean for fucks sake, there is a fucking RESURRECTION spell in the rulebook lmao

GURPS

Martial arts with all cinematics enabled
Powers ups
Powers as advantages
Enhancement powers
Low+high-tech for the lolanime techlevels

House XP
Handwave healing and recovery
Housekeep wealth and assets

Skip the magic book.
Read up on the reaction/jobhunting/hirelings/travel time/skilltraining tables

Boom simple. A tiny bit of fluff and pinch of DM effort.
3 year session guaranteed. Basically plays itself.

Retro Phaze or Super Console are specifically built for that purpose. Haven't tried them, I just know they exist. Enjoy.

I've tried them. Honestly I wish they didn't exist. They don't capture the feeling quite right, and Super Console is just a huge unfun mess. Retro Phaze is alright if you specifically want to recreate Final Fantasy 1 and nothing else.

>3 year session guaranteed
>26,280 hours straight role-playing

It really is like my jrpgs.

This.

Directed by Mnight Shamylan best episode of the twilight zone ever I shit my pants

>JRPGs are better at exploration and secrets than any other type of video game RPGs
You can't be serious, mate.

True, but how is it related to tabletop games? All of these are pure fluff with not a bit of crunch to it, and the fluff is GM's responsibility, not the system's.

Really? I read Super Console last week and it seemed like fun.

I second the FFRPG 4th edition suggestion.

Have you played it? Is it any good? Can you tell me more about it before I dive into a 125 page pdf?

It is the most intuitive Final Fantasy RPG out there. If you don't want to read it all, just read pages 7-17, plus 103-114. Those 21 pages contain all rules for the game you should learn. The rest of the 100 pages are simply lists, lists and more lists (Jobs, Spells, Items, Monsters...)

There is a vĂ­deo overview of several systems here, including some pathfinder final fantasy:

youtube.com/watch?v=5PLGBkWm88I

4e is PERFECT for that.

Try play any popular JRPG tabletop or video game.
It's popular for a reason.

There's Retro Phaze also. You might try it for a 8-bit feeling.

img.4plebs.org/boards/tg/image/1378/21/1378215838453.pdf

Obvious answer.

Zodiac and returners final fantasy