What's a good system for emulating that YA urban fantasy flavor? I've got an itch for stuff like that

What's a good system for emulating that YA urban fantasy flavor? I've got an itch for stuff like that.

Other urls found in this thread:

buriedwithoutceremonyblog.files.wordpress.com/2017/01/reference-sheets-and-core-skins1.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Monsterhearts.

Unironically, this.

me irl on the left

What's the stats on Chad and Stacy?

18 cha
8 wis

World of Darkness.

First post has it. Monsterhearts is top to bottom designed for this.

/thread

>Chad
Hit points: He didn't even flinch
Armor class: He dodged it
Attack bonus: You were hit
Damage: Your whole world is now pain. You can't move your body. You have a feeling you will be eating through a straw for a long time.

>Stacey
Charisma: You do what she says
Armor class: Chad is now between you and her. He blocked it.
Attack bonus: Chad is now right in front of you. You hear Stacey laughing.
Damage bonus: Stacey promises sexual favors to Chad in exchange for shattering your jaw.

Sell me on it instead of just giving me the title please.

If you're serious about looking into it, then grab a PDF instead of waiting for us to spoonfeed you.

With synergy like that, they seem like a nice couple.

>tfw

I just hope you don't think MH is for good endings and shit.

I mean, it's a TREMENDOUS game, seriously, but it's not for feelgood romance and love conquers all. It's "highschool is hell and highschooler are monsters, hopefully the characters can survive it being somewhat human inside, perhaps even learning something".

As I said: that highschool is a bitch. And you know it's true. The powers and the urges of the players are to amplify the thing, but at the core, it's high drama about that.

It sounds as a silly premise, or at least a little weak. But this an INTENSE game, trust me. Perhaps because it's more familiar than high fantasy drama, but in my experience because the game works the AW engine to even more intense heights. The guys you're gonna play will be between honest friendship and "I want/need that other thing" EVERY FUCKING SECOND.

>the infamous sex part might or might be not that important between PCs. I think it usually happens at least with NPCs, anyway, it's thematically appropriate

Hell, I'll add the skins. The probably will sell or not the game to you.

buriedwithoutceremonyblog.files.wordpress.com/2017/01/reference-sheets-and-core-skins1.pdf

>Fae: not just the vengeful fairy, but the dealer
>Ghost: trauma and how to deal with it
>Ghoul: the need for something more than anything else
>Hollow. Frankestein's monster. Or Rei Ayanami.
>Infernal: with great powers from hell, comes, great lows. VERY great lows.
>Mortal: if you think love can save you. It will be... interesting.
>Queen: the one with a gang. It's not easier on top, tough.
>Vampire: the manipulator.
>Werewolf: the primal.
>Witch: the vengeful

>instead of waiting for us to spoonfeed you
this isn't /a/

You're right, this is a reasonable request for OP to make. My apologies.

Even now there is hope for Veeky Forums.

God monster hearts is such boring garbage. When I was pitched it it sounded cool, but every game was boring

Can you expand on what you disliked about it? Was it a general disconnect with the style of PbtA games, or something more specific?

It just...didn't pull me in.

I can get into fantasy and sci fi because it's so far detached from me, where with Monsterhearts i just kept trying to relate it to my own high school experience and it just seemed over the top and dumb. High School isn't hard, it's just boring. Or at least was when I went, so MH felt that way to me.

The system itself is fine though, and it works fairly well. Just...not my thing.

ETA is pretty fun

How does it work?

Monsterhears is a system designed entirely around the social impact of any situation, and it's built just as much on your player's character interactions as it is on the events you create, which can make the game very chaotic and surprising.

Characters are made using "skins", each of which are based off of a kind of supernature trope with their own abilities that allow them to manipulate their way around the social extremes of high school to gain and upper-hand on their peers.

The engine is built to make the characters melodramatic and to constantly build upon inter-character tension, and it's focus is more on the politics of teenage drama, rather than combat/loot/etc. though combat can still happen.

I've run four "seasons" of Monsterhearts, and the only complaint I had was the bizarre and heavily forced "queer content", where every character was so sexually confused that they were incapable of being turned on by basically anything depending on the role of the dice. However 2nd Edition fixed most of the problems that forced your characters into weird situations like that, that don't make any sense in-character.

As a whole, I'd say that the biggest flaw with the system is trying to find a group of people that you can play with that aren't horribly awkward.

Although I like Monsterhearts, it's definitely not for everyone. If you're not a fan of supernatural dramas like Teenwolf, Buffy, Supernatural, Charmed, etc. You're not going to have as good a time with it.

As a side note, the characters I've made for Monsterhearts are some of my favorites, as the system really allows you to breath life into your creation.

urban fantasy like what

what about the part where you contact your legal representative and file charges?

Chad and/or Stacy and their family/families use their army of Lawyers to counter-sue you and your immediate family into poverty.

You're also labeled a sexual predator when Stacy and all of her friends testify against you, and Chad destroys your bike/car.

Related.

There were no witnesses. You tripped.

Or at least that's what Chad's dad's lawyer tells him to say