I know that apparantly steampuk is seen as bad here but am I pleb if I like the setting of Arcanum?

I know that apparantly steampuk is seen as bad here but am I pleb if I like the setting of Arcanum?

I liked it a lot.

One of the few times I've liked steam punk, if it qualifies as steam punk at all.

It works because it has the context of a fantasy world going through and industrial revolution and isn't just lol goggles

This. Arcanum was good because it took steampunk and applied the logical consequences to the fantasy world. Society's collective loss of innocence with the rise of industrialized exploitation of their fellow men (and orcs, and halflings, and gnomes etc.), destruction of the natural world, disapperance of indiginous cultures (the Dwarfs, the Lizardmen) and all that.

Shit like Wolsong which tries to copy Arcanum gets the aestethics right but lose the whole underlying concept in a bland rehash of tired cliches.

I think that might be the irony with a lot if genres, they just look for the aesthetic instead of looking at the underpinnings.

Steam punk being one of the biggest offenders.

does anyone have that screen cap of the gnome conspiracy explanation.

Yes. Don't wast time thinking about what we think though, do what makes you happy.

I consider Arcanum a classics of a lot of untapped potential both gameplay and fluff-wise and I am not even that much into steampunk or "magic breaks/is broken by tech" trope.

Why is Arcanum pleb?

Nah, it's shit.

If Veeky Forums tells you something is good, try it.

If Veeky Forums tells you something is bad, ignore them. There will always be someone willing to say ANYTHING is bad, to imply that their taste and sophistication are so refined that nothing meets their standards. I mean, you know this. If you made a post about Shakespeare, you would have dozens of replies saying he sucks. Not even joking, seen it happen.

>t. Hamlet

Like with all Troika games, you need a fan patch to untape its potential.

I think the GoG version comes with that built in.

My big problem though is the tech path is woefully underpowered compared to the even just middle-ground or magic paths, and brutally hard to get started on due to the constant need for bullets early on that don't do much damage and are hard to get.

There's probably a mod for that though.

I mean, he's PRETTY good...

>am I pleb if I like ____

This question will always be answered with 'no'

The reason why steampunk is seen as bad is because it's become an aesthetic rather than a genre, the way cyberpunk is. Steampunk isn't normally really ABOUT anything, it's just "lol goggles and airships".

Having said that, for reasons outlined here, , Arcanum actually IS Steampunk. It's not just an aesthetic in the game, the whole industrial revolution is a major point.

> I know X is bad but is it bad if I like X?
YES, YES IT FUCKING IS.

Time to play this game.

Why?

Good meme, keked.

>does anyone have that screen cap of the gnome conspiracy explanation.
Seconded, I always forget how great it is.

>the tech path is woefully underpowered compared to the even just middle-ground
Yuuuuuuup.
It's trictly challenge mode, unless you really just like fun guns that much.