What is your appeal in Warhammer 40000, why do you like it?

What is your appeal in Warhammer 40000, why do you like it?
For me, it is the Imperium and its aesthetics, the grim society, the combination of gothic and futuristic elements.

The grim darkness. The grotesque. Chaos.

The religion, something I wish we had today.

I play sisters of battle, because their idiotically over-the-top gothic aesthetics are pretty much the essence of 40k for me.

I've been accused implicitly or explicitly multiple times of playing SoB because of a fetish for nuns, which is completely unfair because I only got the fetish two years later.

How absolutely everything is dialed up to 11. Add a sense of humour and its perfect.

The outrageous over the top aesthetics. Just how ridiculous and awesome everything is. Mostly the super gothic stuff, but I really like the Orks, Eldar, and Necrons as well.

You may not be aware, but you're tipping your fedora so hard right now you accidentally wrapped back around.

Well I also like the the Imperial Guard's love for over the top firepower, especially mortar strikes.

And yes, call it fedora, but I've caught myself praying to the Emperor multiple times lately.

Guilt-free slaughter of innumerable billions for fun and profit, I especially like the Lasgun as a self-reloading battle rifle that launches red-hot beams of compressive death at things makes me moist.

How does it feel knowing your God absolutely hates being worshipped and prayed to?

I like
1.) There is a god and he does give a shit about you.
2.) futuristic technology feels more real in a world where high qualitiy peaces are incredibly rare.
3.) Archeotech always fun.
4.) Space paladin knight marines, each with their own chapter culture
5.) You can make YOUR OWN chapter / guard regiment. Whatever combo you want, chances are good it exists in 40k somewhere.
6.) The freaking WARP. Going into another dimension to cross space quickly, except its full of deamons. Tons of fun.

He may hate it, but it's the only thing keeping the Imperium alive so he begrudgingly deals with it.
Thus my faith keeps him alive.

The slow power-creep and model-creep since the small-unit skirmish game that it began as, and the resulting scale-creep over three decades, has resulted in a rather unique scale of game among science-fiction mini's games. Lots of games hit the tactical skirmish scale that 40k began as, and lots of scaled-out games hit the scale that 40k is inevitably hurtling towards, but it stands alone in its scale-bubble, and given that LOTS of people start playing with 40k, many of us have a nostalgic soft-spot for that scale, and honestly, no other game satisfies it, even if the rules have been hot garbage for about a decade.

Orks, just Orks.

Personally I'm just a massive fan of magicians BUT IN SPACE!
Also helps that I like the Egyptian aesthetic as well.

Tyranids.
Also Guardsmen VS Tyranids.
It'd all work better without the other factions, although Terminators are kinda cute

>none of the pictures correspond to their caption
I'm fucking mad.

I've never understood why in so many fanarts (and models afaik, not a tt player) the augmetics are left unarmored, with all the cables, servos and shit in plain sight. Surely a mere las shot could fuck up some wires at least, compromising the entire augmetic. It's pretty retarded imho.

Gothic Fantasy in Space.
Not a word there I didn't like

A Space Fantasy that runs on rule of cool, although the boundary between cool and stupid is way too thin for comfort.

Also, the art on the boxes was what got me interested in the first place when i was a kid, i think at that time 4th Ed was about to start when i first saw the boxes and and i got the Battle for Macragge box as a chirstmas gift a few years later.

Then after DoW Winter Assault i discovered my love for the Imperial Guard.

Crazy over the top gothic bling up against spikey daemon maws and truck-sized insects.

I like how Orks take the piss out of everyone else and really prove that the universe is a pastiche/satire rather than straight edge.

I also like the Necrons because their story is sad.

Over-the-top action, heaps of black comedy, heroism in the face of impossible odds, and the fact that everything is METAL to the nth degree.

Personally, I like Warhammer at its most black-comedic, and at its most nobledark.

I've been into it for so long now that really, I like just about everything about it. Imperium, Xenos, Chaos, the ridiculous presentation oozing with personality- it's just got a bit of everything. It's creative junkfood in the best possible way.

Cables and servos are armored enough to be the only thing left intact when you'll be obliterated to pieces by blast of something.

>125x78

As contradictory as it sounds, the size and limitations.

I like how the sheer size and variety means you can make your own Original army that could fit canonically into the 40kverse. How every battle and skirmish you have is your own small contribution to the continuing story of the 40kverse, even if it is never acknowledged directly.

Yet at the same time I like that there are set rules as to what an army can do or be established both as game rules and explained through lore, ensuring you don't go hogwild with an idea and go off the deep end.

Fair enough. The most important about a good 40k Story is for me, that it has a good balance between serious/silly and epic/grimdark.

The Tau's struggle resonates with me.

your faith is nearly worthless to him at most you're just giving him more strength in the warp, now if you're a psyker on the other hand there is one way you could really help Big E

Primarily the art, by which I mean the older definitive art. I got drawn into the universe heavily by the Inquisitor wargame, and later Dark Heresy. I have almost no interest in the current wargame.

I like dark and gothic fantasy. Space Paladins in plate armor always helps, and I imagine practically being raised on Dune also contributed.

Oh and deeper than that, once I got into it: the encouragement to create your own armies and all the authors talking about loose canon. I used to spend a lot of time creative writing whole universes that would never see the light of day, but now I can channel that creative energy into a 40k homebrew that can be shared and expressed through the TT game and later the RPGs.
On the note of loose canon, I just like the idea of a setting like 40k being a realm of contradictions and legends, and it fits the setting well from a meta standpoint. And of course, just ignoring the changes I don't like it favor of the old, or vice versa.

I just like the artwork and the fluff and SOME of the models.

Which reminds men, GamesWorkshop must spend a shit ton of money on artists and modellers to produce these kind of things.

Want to see the comic that inspired W40K? It's Nemesis the Warlock, being storytimed right here:

That's where all the grimderp imagery comes from.

>What is your appeal in Warhammer 40000, why do you like it?
Unapologetic racism from all sides (tau are not 40k). No political correctness. Never-ending efforts against all odds even though the future looks bleak. Eldar are the true grimdark. No one is in a worse position than them yet they never give up. Oldhammer 40k forever.

The architecture, mostly.

Okay so I am really on the peripheral here - every third user seems to have a thing for Warhammer because its over the top and I'm willing to bet the majority of you lot are into the miniatures (a hobby I just cannot think would be fun, but more power to you modelers for being the reason 40k exists). For me the big draw for 40k is the lore, which is only good when it's played straight. I mean, it is really elaborate, but the most intoxicating thing about it for me is the fact that this is a world where gods fight over a galaxy under the gaze of evil gods - it's a world that is wholly unique and on a power level that's epic - it deals with a clash of philosophy on a cosmic scale and that's way more entertaining for me then just thinking everything is ironic. bait for the bait god
Struggle with what mate? They are pretty on top all things considered

Is that the joke that there is no relation? or is it that I just don't get the actual joke?

Do you feel 40k novels should be taken literally or just the narrator using artistic license?

For example when you have Eldar Harlequin doing Anime feats where they barely move and "eyes go wide as a dozen heads roll at once" or when the entire cast moves at "superhuman speeds" and some battles take place in the span of seconds.

I LIEK DA ORKS! DA ORKY AS FUCK1111

The grimdark and cool space men. It was 12 years and a month ago today that I was walking through the Palisades mall after 5th grade "graduation" and saw the Games Workshop. I was in their for an hour and didn't want to leave. My birthday was a couple days later and I got the Battle for Macgragge box and started burning through Black Library novels. As much as I love to complain about how stupid it can be sometimes, I love Warhammer 40k, every single bit of it and through it discovered things like Dune and Starship Troopers.

Winning a competitive tabletop wargame, obviously.

If winning isn't the most important thing, why bother paying all those "entry fees" of models and rulebooks and terrain? Winning games is what makes all that useless crap worthwhile.

Started collecting miniatures and playing as a kid. The last miniature/paint/glue I bought was over 11-12 years ago.

Now it's just nostalgia I guess.

I love the older art, because of the vibe it gives of the Imperium as a society so utterly alien to our own. I guess its the novelty or the exoticism of that. Their belief system is essentially the exact opposite of ours in every way. A nation of death-worshipping slaves, in a culture which glorifies being nothing more than a cog in a vast machine, sometimes literally.

I love the xenos races from a design perspective the most. I love the struggle between mankind and these anther strange aliens as each tries to show who's method is superior. Then you have the de who are just giant assholes and admit it.

I love the deathwatch the most if any IoM army and the clash between IoM and xenos is more iconic to 40k. I associate chaos more with 30k. Chaos seems kind of dumb to me as I get older. Also most space marine fans are insufferable and have really put me off the faction.

Play Tau, Dark Eldar, and Deathwatch. Want Necrons in the future or hope for a new xenos race.

Even if I don't like the IoM as much as I used to they still have a great aesthetic.

Primarchs returning is a big problem and seems more like 30k mk2 now.

>What is your appeal in Warhammer 40000, why do you like it?

Mainly because it's the only wargame I can reliably find opponents for in my local area.

40k fluff has its cool points, but if I would prefer to be playing certain other wargames if I could find people to play with.

Fucking this. God damn it's so refreshing to have something with theeth and genuine hatred. It's like a western movie where everyone hates each other and knows not to trust em but sometimes work together for both of their benefit

I like the silly but awesome, half-serious nature of the setting that feels like 80's heavy metal. (Yes, even nu-GW does.) Also, the 'good guys' are basically Nazis in space but it's OK. You can be a Nazi without being one. You don't have to think about anything. You don't have to be consistent. It's just about being fun and awesome. Also space marines are fucking cool.