Board Game General /bgg/ - I have no related image for the topic edition

Last thread:
Pastebin:
>pastebin.com/NA2W929q

Prized gaming possessions, whatcha got? OOP game? Custom accessories? Something from a relative/friend you'll never part with? Lucky dice? Everyone's got that one item that's priceless to them, let's hear some stories and see some pictures.

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Classic-Calico-Laser-Cut-Veneer-Shapes-Tiny/dp/B007VDXYPM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Middle Tier

>Prized gaming possessions
Black box 1st edition CitOW
WoW board game with shadow of war
Warrior Knights with Crown and Glory
AH History of the World

shit tier

I haven't played Churchill, but from everything I've heard they're very different. A lot of it is from the 2v2 nature of the game, but there is also a lot of focus on doing military campaigns right, in a less abstracted form.

It's all about the issues; the way they are resolved last-in-first-out means that there are some decisive choices to be made: If you place a military issue as the first issue in a contested theater, it has the benefit that you will execute the military campaign last; on the other hand, there will be plenty of opportunity to ruin this, both from the opponents who might place their own issues (which will be resolved before the military campaign) as well as from your political opponent who might sabotage it by resolving it at a bad time if you're getting too far ahead.

And then there are the wonderful Rumour tokens, that function as issues but simply don't do anything. Deception abounds.

>WoW board game with shadow of war
I know it's a long slog and repetitious with massive downtime between turns, but I badly want that game just for the production quality. I think the only thing that keeps me away is I can't stand to buy used games and the few copies I've seen new on the BGG marketplace were more than I'd spend on it

My most prized possession is probably Pax Britannica, simply because it is an old gem which is difficult to get ahold of. It is basically Diplomacy with more assymetry and historical basis; It features a long playtime, a tedious economic system made smooth by a fan-made excel sheet, a free-form treaty system and a focus on disputes being resolved through negotiation rather than military means (even though negotiation is usually backed up by lots and lots of firepower)

Oh, and it has a Chinese Resentment Index

Sounds awesome. I asked about Churchill because I heard a big complaint about the game was the abstraction of the war as well as the weird scoring. Pericles seems the logical conclusion of Churchill's issue bidding system with a meatier combat aspect. Interested to heard how the longer playthrough goes.

It's definitely on my list alongside the Empire of the Sun and Here I Stand reprints coming up. Have you played either of those two?

>Prized gaming possessions, whatcha got? OOP game? Custom accessories? Something from a relative/friend you'll never part with?

Aw-man OP... right in the feels. Pic related is likely the very first 'true' board game I ever owned. It was a gift from my older brother decades ago. He wasn't into board gaming, much less war gaming, but he knew I might like it and got it to game with me just for that reason. I haven't played it in a long long time. I had the box out recently. My brother battled Systemic Lupis for decades, and then was hit with Cancer about 18 months ago. He passed away this March. He would have been 58 years old 7/7/2017... I think of him fondly whenever I board game.

No, I've played Virgin Queen, the sequel to HIS, which is one of my favourite games, and Empire of the Sun is also on the list of games I really want to play.

Also, bear in mind that the military aspects in Pericles are still abstracted, but instead of an entire war effort it is the various theaters of operation that are abstracted; you don't besiege Plataea, you make a campaign in the area of Boeotia.

>Best worker/dice placement game
>Best area control/war game
>Best abstract game
>Best party game
>Best co-op game

>shit tier

I thought Munchkin was the gold standard for 'shit tier' games. (And yes, I see what you did there in your pic user...)

>and it has a Chinese Resentment Index

Holy Crap! It's like Murican politics now. Apparently the current administration is into board games... Who knew?!?

>>Best worker/dice placement game
Caverna
>>Best area control/war game
Chaos in the Old World
>>Best abstract game
Onitama
>>Best party game
Good Cop Bad Cop
>>Best co-op game
Toss-up between Xenoshyft and Eldritch Horror

don't meme me pls

>Prized Posession
Right now: Scythe Art Connoisseur's edition
Soon: Kingdom Death Monster: Almost fucking everything edition

Jesus user, we didn't even make it 20 posts before you felt the need to shit up the thread with politics? Do we not have enough idiotic shitposting every thread?

Yeah sorry, didn't have a really good topic starter today, but was thinking about my grandpa who got me into gaming as a kid. None of his analog stuff was any good but the console collection/notes and some of the old 5.25" floppy games he left me are fun.

'Best' is a term hard to nail down with so many different categories of game... But I can tell you my current favorites...

I really like Roll for the Galaxy which uses the dice *AS* workers and allows you to roll first and then plan your worker placement strategy.

There are so damn many good games in this category. My current favorites would be OGRE (by SJG) and 'The Arrival' (by Martin Wallace).

>>Best abstract game

Again, a lot of good games here that I haven't played yet (like Hive or Onitama). My personal favorite from my collection would be 'The Duke'.

>>Best party game

Code Names, Funemployeed, or Telestrations.

> >Best co-op game

Deckbuilding - Xenoshyft
Standard Board game - Gears of War

1. Come on, it isn't like I yelled "Jaipur" in crowded theater or something...

2. I thought OP starter topic was fine. I'll miss my brother, but I'll always remember him too while doing things I love to do with my friends and family.

The Voyages of Marco Polo
Dominant Species/Spheres of Influence
>Best abstract game
Depending on how thinky or light you want it: The Duke, Quantum, Onitama, Santorini
>Best party game
Secret Hitler
>Best co-op game
Not even on the market yet but we've been playing it for the last couple of weeks and are having a lot of fun with Sub Terra.

>Good Cop Bad Cop
Far too dependent on getting a lucky item draw. I've had too many games suddenly change from one team's victory to the other's because the losing team did a Hail Mary item draw that paid off.

Which category does Cosmic Encounter fall into?

Party/negotiation

>OOP game?
Ankh Morpork
>Something from a relative/friend you'll never part with?
Well, there is my 60th Anniversary Monopoly that my deadbeat uncle gave me - it's probably the nicest thing he ever did for me, and I have fond memories playing it with my grandfather and my little brother.

Lads I'm looking for recommendations on board games I could buy, so far I played Citadels, Shadow Hunters, Star Wars Imperial Assault, Dungeon Saga, 7 Wonders and the Pathfinder LCG.

I'm also looking for games that people who play casually could understand, anything really

Agricola, of course.
Ticket to Ride. (Bite me.)
>>Best abstract game
Hive. (Chess isn't really and abstract.)
>>Best party game
Bohnanza.
>>Best co-op game
Robinson Crusoe.

Kemet
Alien Frontiers
Pandemic

Lookin those up right now user, bless you

The same one as Munchkin

Yeah, the item imbalance is what keeps it as a 'party game' for us. It doesn't have the depth to be a more involved social deduction game. But having those turnaround in games people are light-hearted about can be lots of fun.

These games have nothing to do with each other. My one complaint with Abyss is that the early game is dumb and repetitive, but maybe they fixed that with the expansion. My other complaint that they fixed were those opaque pearl cups

This sounds awesome. As long as victory isn't decided by a single post-game die roll like in Churchill, I'm in

>Good Cop Bad Cop
>Overworld Games, we make ONE game, retheme it 6 different ways and you pay us for it!
They're running an event at Gencon for $2 entry fee you can use a pedometer all weekend and if you hit 30,000 steps you're entered into raffles for "fabulous prizes". I don't know what's more sad, that they're charging people to walk, that they set the target so low, or that they consider Good Cop Bad Cop/Exposed/etc fabulous prizes when they're already so damn cheap.

>captcha: BOLOGNA

No problem. Are they what you are looking for? I recommended 3 very different games on purpose. If you give me some pointers about gameplay, mechanics, theme, etc. I could surely give you some other recommendations.

>What kind of sleeves do you guys use?
For board games, mostly FFG. They're pretty solid and hold up. I've been trying out KMC Perfect Hards on a few games, though - they are more svelte. We'll see how those go.
For TCGs, I used doublesleeved KMC until I learned KMC changed manufacturers and lowered quality. Now, thanks to the Professor's review from TCC, I'm going to try out Ultra Pro Pro-Matte Eclipse whenever they release a clear-back version.

>Prized gaming possessions, whatcha got?
I am most fond of my TCG collection. Old Pokémon and Yu-Gi-Oh cards, homemade decks for each. I keep my Ancient Mew on display.
Neat recentish releases I adore: Yugi's Legendary Decks (and 2), Duel Decks Anthology (all double-sleeved KMC). I also have Dungeon Crawl Classics core book, "Silver Foil Edition" - very pretty.

Alchemists
Smash Up
>Best abstract game
Quantum
>Best party game
Machi Koro DX
>Best co-op game
Shadowrun Crossfire
>Best deckbuilder
Star Realms

>Chess isn't really and abstract

Took way longer than I thought it would, but here's an early revision of the group chart. Any critiques throw em out; I'll be around most of the rest of today and working on the schadenfreude chart, which is proving more difficult to organize into groupings

Okay so I got Love Letter for my short summer trip with 3 others.
Which other game should I buy and bring with me?

Deckbuilding isn't labelled (and needs Star Realms), Love Letter should be in there somewhere, I don't quite see the point in adding stars to games that you've said do more than 5 players, and you DEFINITELY need to replace Ghost Stories with... I'unno, Samurai Spirit? Zombicide? Ghostbusters: The Board Game?

Otherwise, very solid list.

>we have the best tripfags who always catch what I miss
Deck building was the last section I did, not surprised I forgot the label. I kept Love Letter off for........ shit I forget why; it'll go back on. The multi-stars were for games like Gemblo which does 6 but not 5, plus people never read the notes (which is why the green one is massive). Ghost Stories you're prolly right, maybe X-COM as the hard one in that row, but I want to avoid stuff like Zombicide because CMoN as a starter is a lot of money to drop

>check Samurai Spirit prices
Fuck you Minifig, you win this time

Hanabi, zombie dice, bang the dice game

Are we promoting plastic flick em up over the wood not (not criticizing, questioning)

>another thing I forgot to fix
I should put a note on it, but yeah I used the plastic pic because wood is awful expensive for intro gaming

Band the dice game sounds nice but bgg.com says it is best played with 5-6, plus I already have a press your luck dice game (Dicey Goblins).

Hanabi seems too complex and stressful for one of my friends; he hates board games.

Got any more recommendations?

dice chucker?

gonna assume you mean heavily luck based games, then.

Follow up, how is the plastic version? Is the quality compared to the wood a lot lower?

>Band the dice game sounds nice but bgg.com says it is best played with 5-6
Just because a game is "best at" a certain count, doesn't mean that it's trash at any other count. But I can respect that.

>Hanabi seems too complex and stressful for one of my friends; he hates board games.
If motherfucking Hanabi is too complex and stressful for your friend then they have serious problems. It's literally a teamwork memory game

>Got any more recommendations?
It may be tough to pick others with that one friend in mind, but I personally love carcassonne (however, it could be too much for that friend). Maybe tsuro, sushi go, codenames, or rhino hero?

>gonna assume you mean heavily luck based games, then.
Not them but pretty much

I mean the main mechanic is chucking dice, it's something people (especially those new to the hobby) enjoy.

Everything I've read/heard on quality is the plastic is very close to wood edition in play and quality of feel. Caveats are the expansions will almost definitely not be released in plastic, and the plastic pieces are lighter so they have a hard time knocking down wood if you mix/match.

And when you want a relaxing time when you can shut your brain off, dice chucking a one route you can take

Does anyone know of a place that sells star tokens? I'm wanting to use them to count victory points and I'm coming up empty right now.

How small do you want them?
amazon.com/Classic-Calico-Laser-Cut-Veneer-Shapes-Tiny/dp/B007VDXYPM

If green works I saw some at game crafter when I was looking up pieces and card deck pricing
>thegamecrafter.com/parts/star-green

Anons, recently I managed to get 2 people into playing some tabletop sim (I know, but hold your horses since they're not really into boardgames and not willing to drive 1 hour each and spend lots of money). Now I can take that chance to introduce them to some nice little games. I want to start slowly and delve more into complex games. How do I start that on Tabletop Sim (especially which games)?
So far my games I'd like to get them to play are
>Carcassonne
>Alchemists
>Dominion

Thanks for your help in advance.

Origami that shit

Thanks a ton, these are great. I appreciate it!

Can anybody with King of Tokyo tell me how many energy cubes come with the game? I got my copy yesterday and it feels like the amount I have is a little low

>Carcassone
Tsuro, Tantrix, Tokaido, maybe a dungeon crawler game to add in another tile-layer
>Alchemists
Mysterium, Sheriff of Nottingham, AbracaWhat, Clank!
>Dominion
Sushi Go, Simple MTG Starter Decks, Red Dragon Inn, Legendary

While I agree with your endeavor, I think tabletop sim is not a good way to go about it.
A lot of the fun in boardgames is the physicality of it and being next to the people and interacting socially.
When palying tabletop sim I just feel I'm playing "a poor man's videogame" instead of boardgames.

KoNY which I assume comes with the same amount comes with these many.

My first edition KoT has 50 energy cubes.

50 is indeed standard

Always check the BGG wiki pages, they've got component info 99% the time
>boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/70323/king-tokyo/wiki

Thanks a bunch all. I didn't even know BGG had that stuff listed, that would have saved a lot of headaches!

As someone new to board gaming, why does everyone hate Munchkin so much? All of the FLGSs near me carry shit tons of the stuff, but I always see hate in these threads. I haven't played it myself so I'm just curious

games that revolve around jokes are pretty much disposable trash that has an extremely limited shelf life, but they're incredibly easy casual bait

Because the game portion of the game is quite mediocre, and it's mostly a mix of plain old luck and negotiation.
Some people take it at face without understanding that the game is mostly to generate player interaction, others will argue that there's better games for achieven the same things (or that negotiation+luck is dumb), others just hate it because it's popular while not being mechanically interesting.
If think it's fine for what it is, if maybe overpriced.

Old pages it was the most useful widget to customize to the top, the new style has it mostly hidden and it's community edited but popular games have good info.

What said but also it's a take that game which runs too long for the payoff. Munchkin if it was 30-40 minutes would be more tolerable. At 90 minutes you're just going through motions for too long and running into the common Steve Jackson trope of 2nd place guarantees your win once everyone's run out of fuck you cards.

For me it's because the games almost always end the same: one person goes for the win and everybody else has to play every card they can to stop them; then that person either still wins or doesn't. Then the next person goes to win and everyone has already exhausted their cards to stop them so all they can do is watch that player win. And if somehow the second player is kept from winning, then the third player coasts to victory.

That and the fact that Munchkin lasts 2+ hours for the same anticlimactic finish sounds horrible to me.

And like said, Munchkin thrives on its jokes and being funny and once the punchline is no longer funny, the game has lost its allure. Which is why so many versions of it are made; the more jokes you have to go through, the longer it takes for them to get old.

Why is King of Tokyo so damn popular?

I mean the rules seems very simple, but it surely can't be because of that could it?

>people like rolling dice
>people like push your luck games
>good fillers make it to the table a lot more than 3+ hr games
Richard Garfield knows how to package what people want

It's an entry tier game that has Richard Garfield as designer.
I wondered the same but I bought it and my friends were thrilled with it for some reason. It's short too.
It just has a ton of elements that "just work".

It overstays its welcome x100. Its cute and funny at first, but it rapidly descends into everyone piling on the leader to the point where it's very difficult to win. At this point it becomes very tedious and unfunny.

Munchkin has a LOT of problems -- it's very lucky and the negotiation is pretty bad -- but I think the worst is the endgame. That is, it takes way, WAY too long and most of that time is spent in the "Negotiations are over; Screw You" phase playing whack-a-mole with whoever is at 9 and taking their turn. This is a circa 2 hour game, an hour of which is spent on some of the most vicious dickery this side of Diplomacy, when the feel of the game would be more comfortable at the ~30 minute mark like, say Guillotine.

Simple mechanics, attractive theme, some solid longevity in the fact that you're unlikely to see all the power cards for some time, and all in all it's pretty accessible to normies and newbies while having at least SOME legs for more experienced gamers. It's not the best game in the world, but neither is it a bad game, and it's something you can get just about anybody in on.

For some reason these problems you note of Munchkin remind me of to the ones I had with Catan.

It's a common problem, where a designer's end game trigger can take too long to come out, so the last 1/3 or so becomes far too repetitive. It's not new (Cosmic came out in the 70s) and it's not really going away, but there's plenty of games that find ways to avoid it.

There's too much explicit theme in chess, both in the visual style and in the mechanics. It's obviously descended from a miniature wargame.

Man, smas up is hot garbage.

>cute and funny at first

Not even that. At first it manages to get away with eye-rolling "seriously, what tard thought this was amusing" and then it devolves into a complete shitmess. There is not a point where (even as a complete newb) you should waste a single second on that fetid turd.

>>Soon: Kingdom Death Monster: Almost fucking everything edition
>getting memed by animu titties

It's fairly common to negotiation games, but it's a little worse in Munchkin than most because you can do so much worse than refuse to cooperate. In a way, I had a similar experience with Cosmic Encounter, but Cosmic (and Catan for that matter) had a few more redeeming features than Munchkin. And by that I mean a lot more.

Dominant Species
StarCraft, War of the Ring
>Best abstract game
Chess, 3-5-8
>Best party game
Flickem Up, Codenames
>Best co-op game
MoM

Hunting for one I like; so far Leonardo DaVinci but Champions of Midgard looks good, hoping to get some play in.
Twilight Imperium, 3rd Edition
>Best abstract game
Assuming we rule out the classics, Tsuro
>Best party game
Shadow Hunters? I don't know, it doesn't really feel like a 'party' game except where it's best with 7/plays 8.
>Best co-op game
Yggdrasil, 2nd Edition

The wife and I are really enjoying Elder Signs. Straight forward, minimal strategy with lots of dice rolling and who doesn't like dice rolling.

>and who doesn't like dice rolling
I don't, and neither does anyone I know.

I collect high quality miniature models, especially bizarre monsters so that was a huge draw for me.
tiddies were a plus though

It's definitely one of the better Yahtzee clones out there, but the app has made my copy sit unplayed more often than not. Those DLC bosses are too good and I'm too cheap to pay $20-30 for the tabletop versions

So, what out of the whole mess are you most excited for? As someone who owns a 1.0 Core it's probably either Silver City or Sparrow King, but I have to admit I want to see how the Gambler's Chest turns out.

Design wise, I absolutely love the Screaming God, and am looking forward to fighting it.

Campaign wise, I'm highly interested in the inverted pyramid stuff.

>dear, why do you always pick the girl character?

Aside from Joe Diamond all the overpowered investigators are women

>all the overpowered investigators are women

Does that make it 'min-maxi-padding'?

Cute, also fixed the notes on the chart and swapped Ghost Stories for Samurai Spirit as the hard end co-op. Not going to put Star Realms on for deckbuilding as long as the 3+ modes are meh, but does anyone have enough experience with Hero Realms in group formats?

Is Splendor really more complex than Carcassonne (I know I'm nitpicking, it's a character flaw)?

I mean they're placed right next to each other, and frankly they're pretty even. In both, an inexperienced player can't expect to get a decent score unless they're really fast on the uptake. I'd say Carcassone is a little more obtuse (since all your scoring opportunities are literally on the table in Splendor) but it will also tend to reward you at least a little for short-term decision making. Splendor you NEED that long range planning just a little bit more.

I'd question Smash Up being to the right of Takenoko, but then I remember that Smash Up can actually get pretty combo-happy

Most times I go off BGG ratings for weight, but I honestly can't remember if I checked that first or just pasted the images in the order I had them downloaded....... yup, 1.84 vs 1.94 for Carc. I could switch em, but I'd rather not bother with the edit on it til there's something else needs fixing.

I think the voting on that one is because of card text, but I copied that order off of the gf/wife chart so I know it's safe.

>Mentions Legendary and Legendary: Alien
Know anything about the Firefly version? I was gifted it and haven't gotten it to the table yet, wondering if I should fight for that or not.

should I pre-order the second edition?

Actually haven't played either, it's just one anons here enjoy and gets a lot of love at cons and meetups. What I hear encounters (Alien/Predator) is the better system, but Marvel is the more accessible theme. Firefly being encounters prolly would put it up on par with Alien.

No one here has ever played it

Again, it was just a little nitpick but I don't see anything wrong with the ordering. I like it user

Hopefully will get another one done tomorrow, I think I finally figured out how to organize the categories on schadenfreude chart. It'll likely be smaller though