Legend of the Five Rings General: Hida Quesadilla Edition

Welcome to the /L5Rg/ once again, samurai of the Veeky Forums province. This week's breaking news is the Crab finally got their short story in the ongoing clan previews for FFG's LCG:

fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/7/5/dark-hands-of-heaven/

For those not in the know, L5R has been bought out by Fantasy Flight Games who are finally nearing the release of the next edition of the card game. If you want to know more about their LCG work, click the 'All Related News' button on the right of that page. So far we've seen fluff and card previews for the Crane, Lion, and Dragon and now we have Veeky Forums's favorite clan on the block.

This thread is dedicated to new LCG talk, RPG questions and stories, and even the CCG for those who are still playing for fun.

Other urls found in this thread:

imperialassembly.com/oracle/#cardid=8171
imperialassembly.com/oracle/#cardid=8113,#cnidprinting=4
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Are going to see a new card preview article today or just some gay ass fiction?

Gay ass fiction, fampai. It alternates weeks. One week is the clan fiction, the next week is the clan's card preview. From the few leaked cards, Crab have a defensive Holding thing going on as well as card sacrifice mechanics to buff others.

So that samurai who died, that was Hida O-Ushi's mother right?

Is there a guide or something to japanese names?

No, but by and large they aren't tricky. There's no silent letters and syllables always end on vowel sounds.

So they're definitely doing the Crab/Shadowlands alliance right?

I hope not, that was the worst part of the original arc.

I'm talking more on the kanji side, not how to pronounce them.

>Have a fuckhueg wall
>Fight the enemy on the ground

Crab Clan, everyone.

They are the Wall, user. They must interpose themselves between things they love and the enemy, and they love their wall. They die for the wall. The wall is love, the wall is life.

And these guys are the dedicated pragmatists of the setting? Is this some kind of a joke?

Honestly the real reason was laid out earlier in the fiction where the wall was damaged and the Kaiu are scrambling to do their repair work. They're trying to avoid another incident where a huge chunk of the wall gets fucked and the Kaiu have even more to do with less people.

>what are siege weapons and vehicles
>what is tunneling
>what is infiltration
>what is the influence of the taint and how bad things are gonna go if it's gonna be on BOTH sides of the wall

Sometimes you just gotta go out your front yard and shank the bastards trying to tear your house down, you know?

The breach was seemingly in another province. Unless I missed something and it was raining during the whole fic (it was raining at the near-breach, the Kaiu chick straight-out mentioned it).

I take the Attack of the Maw (that had all of those) for 500, Matt.

>The breach was seemingly in another province. Unless I missed something and it was raining during the whole fic (it was raining at the near-breach, the Kaiu chick straight-out mentioned it).

Yes, but they didn't have the manpower to repair multiple breaches. A proactive defense was going to be more beneficial in the long run than waiting for the army's attack.

Thats where it was worse.

And it was even worse than they expected.

>Kaiu Daimyo is now super-competent girl
>Hiruma Daimyo now a girl too and a super ninja
>Kuni Yori is a literal moustache-twirling Saturday cartoon villain now
>Yasuki Daimyo faied in his duty and his son is nervous and jumpy when addressing Kisada
>O-Ushi is now the bestest Hida child taken to 11
>Her two brothers are almost comically weak in body or mind
>Kisada needed saving in battle by another Hida ma-
>Nope wait that heroic sacrifice was ALSO a girl

Am I the only one that's seeing this? I feel like one of those retarded MAGA /pol/ faggots even typing this but the 'girl power' was glaringly obvious to me. Most all the cool and competent heroes in the new fictions are female.

No it was pretty obvious form the moment they gender swaped Hoturi. I can only hope Hotaru gets fisted by Fu Leng just as hard as Hoturi did.

Genderswap but keep Kachiko female just to have a scandalous lesbian couple in prominent position, never mind that Kachiko can't get pregnant from this.
I wasn't actually worried about them changing the Champions to match the original Kami's genders, I thought that was cool so I let it slide, but after these new fictions I'm getting more and more concerned about the agendas of the writing team.

3 out of 5 daimyos are men as are the only two likely to be deeply plot relevant. The daimyos of families being super good at their jobs is also not a shock. Deep breath user.

Though I feel bad for the Yasuki. Every other daimyo both appeared and was very successful. They were both absent and failures. Yakamo has always been a stupid brash faggot at this point in his life also. I felt his brother and O-Ushi were pretty accurate to what was expected to. O-Ushi has always been the best of them though I wanted her to also share a bit more of Yakamo's brash faggotry at this point since she was a bit like that too. She just got over it much faster before

Jisho.org is a pretty good Japanese dictionary that lets you search for words or individual kanji in a bunch of different ways. The pronunciation guides are in kana, though, so you might need a kana chart open in another tab to read that.

Best girl is back in the hizzouse

>got over it much sooner
>sooner

O-ushi had the bully keyword on damn near every card she had. Her bio in Way of the Crab flat out stated she was the sterotype of an unrully tomboy and "...comments openly on the pleasures of 'The Beast with Two Backs'" She would shock people by talking about her favorite fuck position. Yakamo settled down once Fu Leng shoved the Ancestral Sword of the Hantei into Kisada's innards, O-Ushi didn't come close to settling down until after he arranged a tourney to get her married.

So...what the fuck lore have you been reading, user?

I was pointing out she should be busy being a brash faggot with her brother at this point in her life. She and Yakamo both stop being such faggots in time, just not right now.

Oh yeah I did have the order backwards though you got me. I caught the retards there for a minute and flip flopped timelines in my head.

So what was her favorite position?

Hida Tomonatsu?

It'd be a bit odd to make card art for a minor character they're gonna kill off in a story fluff piece, wouldn't it?

Besides, that big hammer means it's probably the great ox.

I think FFG people have insisted it isn't O-Ushi when asked. I doubt she, or any of Kisada's children, are getting a card in the core set. Can't overload the whole thing with two many known characters who you can give different cards for over monthly release cycles and deluxe boxes

I've lost all interest in L5R after AEG sold it.
The move back in time feels lame and the CCG cards look horrible with their White/Pink Cherryblossom theme. The new rules don't excite me at all.

I'm sorry for your horrible taste.
Don't let the door hit you on your way out.

I literally have the opposite opinion on all the subjective stuff from you.

I guess if the new rules don't grab you, that can't be helped. Sometimes things don't fit your taste. On the other hand, I think that it was a great idea to restart the story. They could make a mess of it, but at least they have a chance to get it right.

The beast with two backs... that's an actual position. Girl sitting in guys lap, facing each other.

I had three issues with L5R as AEG ran it. The first is the one everyone had... the devs shoving storylines down peoples throats and flat out lying about how much influence the tourney winners would have on said storyline development.

Second was Flavor of the Week Clan Favortism AEG seemed to forget that tribalsim is a big part of L5R, and when some Clans never made it into competitive tiers at all, and my Clan seemed to struggle to find their niche at all, it's only natural that people are going to get fed up of getting shat on by bows & boats or do x and get fucked do y and get fucked dishonor control, or honor runners that don't actually need to interact with their opponent in any way shape or form.

My last gripe may just be me, but I felt like the errata just got out of control at times, to where half your deck didn't work as printed.

I'm willing to give the reboot a shot it only because I won't go fucking bankrupt on an LCG.

I always eagerly anticipated new Stories but now I can't even be bothered to read the new stuff. Been there, done that.

Good for you, I hate the new design and graphic choices the most. Mono no aware my ass. Could they be anymore pretentious?

I always thought that was just a euphemism for sex in general.

About 40% of words and word combinations in the English language are either a sex position, a euphemism for sex, or both.

Generally speaking, it's better to fight with a lot of space and support from high ground siege weapons and archers than to fight on a narrow platform next to your siege weapons and archers.

The wall barely even slows most oni, they just climb right up it or go through the tunnels, using goblins as trap canaries. Even the goblins will eventually figure it out after a few dozen of them go down the wrong tunnels.

To be fair, being a pretentious pri- noble is half the fun, so they know their target audiance.

Too bad this game will flop. Lots of money lost for FFG but I guess they can always make it back with their Star Wars licence.

Why on earth would you assume that? The property is an old one that some people will pick up just for the name and FFG has an existing fan base for their card games of people who knew jack about L5R beforehand.

It isn't guaranteed long term success if balance, company support, or other things are mishandled but as it is I think they're guaranteed to not be a flop out the gate.

The Inaugural tournament for the game at GenCon sold out its 704 seats in under a second. You have to realize that the game is also drawing on its old fans -- L5R the CCG ran for twenty years, being one of only a tiny handful of CCGs made in the 90s to survive past it. It had a hell of a community back in the day. Never quite to the level of Magic, or Pokemon, or Yugioh, but it was a solid 4th.

The long term prospects for the game are impossible to predict, but the short term prospects are huge. FFG is expecting L5R to be their biggest LCG release to date and there's no reason at this point to expect otherwise. Maybe they fuck it up and it ends up being Thrones 3.0 with a boring stale meta and everyone drops it within 6 months, but at least right now it's very promising.

I'm honestly pretty excited for this, it'll be good to hear about how the game actually looks in full play. Plus odds are the story prize will be the next Emerald Champion, so I'm pulling hard for my Phoenix to represent and get us a Shiba in it.

What the hell gave you that idea?

So do you think they'll do the utz shout at the GenCon tournament?

Almost guaranteed.

Am I reading this right, though? They sex-swapped Hoturi? Wtf, this isn't l5r then...

There have been a number of people who have said that if FFG doesn't lead the utz-banzai then they will.

So yes, it'll happen, one way or another.

It is now

Its just multiple universes. It isn't like Ultimate Marvel wasn't Marvel just because it wasn't 616. Get your comic book hat on for thinking about the changes to the setting, user

I kind of hope they live stream it then. I can't make it to gen con but I mean, this is basically the inauguration of the new game. I want to be there remotely, like obsessively following the live stream during Star Wars Celebration. But just for the one event.

Fu Leng is one hell of a guy.

Should I name my new character O-Gin the Viper?

No, that sounds gayer than Liberace and Chris Crocker combined. And not the cool kind of gay like Freddie Mercury.

Pic is best Crab waifu.

That's not a waifu. That's a house husbando.

If he even exists we won't likely see a card of him for a while. The only art we've seen of Altansarnai is masked so no gauging if she's old enough for adult children or going to be another young and untested figure.

Is the nodachi any good?

NO
DACHI
In the first (and so far only) RPG session I've played someone with a nodachi landed a hit that did 50 damage. I did the math later; that wasn't even a lucky hit given the number of dice he was throwing. He only rolled 0.1 above the mean.

It has the Large keyword and no Samurai keyword. What does that mean for the weapon?

It means it triggers effects that reference the Large Keyword but not effects that reference the Samurai Keyword

Ex. Large Advantage, most attack as simple require certain keywords.

That peasants aren't executed for touching it even innocently. And also some schools can't use it for Simple Attack actions when their school specifies only Samurai keyword weapons

How did they get a roll of 10k6?

Sounds like someone messed up figuring out what they were rolling for damage.

You say that, but the overconfident and pragmatic response from Kisada to the empire increasingly belittling the Crab, cutting them out of fair trade deals, etc was one of my favourite parts of O5R.

3k3 base
3k0 from strength
1k0 from kenjutsu level 3
1k0 from the Large advantage
3k0 from three raises
1k0 from an additional raise via Bishamon's Blessing
= 10k5.

Okay, I miscalculated, you're right; he definitely rolled a bit above average to get 50 on 10k5. (I wasn't paying attention to what he rolled, just did the math afterwards and some how added that all up to 10k6.) And of course the trick here is actually landing an attack with 3 raises, as that is a very very significant increase in TN. But if you do... nodachi.

What was his roll? Nodachi is good, but not THAT good.

That should only be 10k4. It takes 2k0 excess to convert into +0k1.

Still 10k4 is a 14% of getting 50+

That's a good point. That's a DM issue, then; we were doing it 1:1. Thank you for bringing that up, I'll toss it over to my DM as that seems like kind of a big deal.

From what I recall, the whole "Crab are the wall" thing was new breath to the clan when it eventually happened. Feels odd to bring it about straight away.

I came into the game in 2009 and it was there as long as I knew it. When was this introduced?

According to other discussions on the internet the Kaiu wall wasn't present during the Imperial and Clan War timeframes as the 'shadowlands' in those times were supposed to vague incorporeal areas and not an actual part of the map, but was the current situation was retconned in by the time of the printing of the Way of the Crab sourcebook in 1998.

So yes, it is actually (marginally) possible that the Crab (or at least their wall) were stolen or at least inspired by the Night Watch from ASoIaF, since A Game of Thrones was published in 1996.

I mean, the Great Wall of China seems like the more obvious inspiration, predating either L5r or GoT by a little more than two years.

>Kaiu Wall wasn't present during the Imperial and Clan War timeframes

You are wrong. A simple trip to the Oracle of the Void proves it.

From Forbidden Knowledge, the third CCG set of Imperial/Clan Wars.
imperialassembly.com/oracle/#cardid=8171

From Time of the Void, the last set in the Clan Wars arc, 7th ever.
imperialassembly.com/oracle/#cardid=8113,#cnidprinting=4

I didn't mean The Wall itself, but the Crab saying, "We are The Wall." I recall it being something they grew into in the original fiction. Here it's their starting point. Not the only detail that's been jumpstarted, either.

As an addendum, Forbidden Knowledge came out in 1996 and Time of the Void came out in 1997.

Goodnight samurai friends

Please don't bring that Americanist wrestling-tier /co/ bullshit to this too, please.

Its how this shit has always worked when alternate settings, timelines and outcomes come into play. Everything is just realms of yume-do, a dream within a dream forgotten by morning.

Good morning, Crab clan.

Good afternoon wall

Hey, so I play ANR, but for a while now L5R has dominated FFG's news.
I get that it's a big acquisition, and launching a new game (with what I understand is a LOT of fans from it's time as a CCG (and RPG??)) is a big deal, and I've heard good things about it in general, so can I get a brief explanation of what the whole thing's about, who's who, why honour is everything, and all that?

So far what I can tell from the faction bios and what I've heard is that Dragon are monks who deal with fate and things, Crane are master courtiers (but uber-honourable), Lion are the military powerhouse (who do they fight? seeing as -> ), Crane are the defenders on the wall against the Shadowlands, and Scorpion are the dishonouabru sneaky assholes (for good, honest!).
And there's other clans, but I don't know how big or important they are.

Netrunner only has one weeb faction, but they have some cool shit.

Everyone is at perpetual war with each other because Samurai are a warrior caste, and thus they invent reasons to fight.

Seems semi-reasonable. Did I miss any major clans and/or what they do?

Well you listed Crane twice. Crab defend the wall. You missed Phoenix, who are supposed to be not so keen on the war, and really into mythology and stuff, and the Unicorn, a clan that really likes horses and other not japanese stuff.

Well, the Dragon aren't even mostly monks, their monks are just the out-of-game face of the clan.
The Lion not really having anything to fight is a constant thorn in their side. They often resort to fighting each other or whoever else they can pick a fight with. They basically exist so that when an Emperor wants something really, really dead, he has entire pre-built armies ready to go.

Honor is everything because the honor system was handed down by the literal gods who founded the empire, and it strongly affects the afterlife of samurai. Correctly playing your role in fate affects it much more, but Rokugan doesn't really know that.

I meant crab, dunno why I said crane.

From what I've heard, Crab sound like cool guys... though I also heard something about them basically betraying the emperor at one point? Not sure how the whole history thing works.

What's the difference between Phoenix and Dragon, they sound kind of similar?

Ah that makes some sense (are there also non-shadowlands territories full of "uncivilised" people?)

So if Lion's foible is that they don't really have anyone to fight, Crab's is a lack of diplomacy-fu, Crane's is a lack of raw power (I hear they're alright duelists though), what's everyone else's weakness?

Dragon doesn't have any huge weakness, but they're held back by their (secretly eternal) leader's seemingly arbitrary decisions (They aren't arbitrary, but nobody except him can see the big picture) and a general lack of anyone caring about them. Also they tend to do very badly if there's any kind of food shortage, due to living in mountains.

The Phoenix are pure hubris. They're the best at magic and they make sure everyone knows it, to the point where they overstep themselves repeatedly.

The Unicorn are outsiders in a xenophobic society. That clan left the empire centuries ago and picked up a lot of foreign concepts and blood along the way.

Minor clans are literally irrelevant and tiny and can be squished like bugs.

Dragon climb to the tippytops of their mountaints, then fold up their legs, sit louts style, and ram the tippytop of the moutnain up their ass. Because they live above the treeline and can't build enough fences to sit on. The point is the Dragon are so busy persuing enlightnement they forget to to things like...well...everything.

The Phoenix, on the other hand will blow you up real good with big magic. And the Pheonix all hate themselves. Because there was this world shattering catastrophe that needed certain people to go deal with because fate or whatever and one of the duded who needed to go was perfectly fine with letting the world die UNLESS A LITERAL DEMIGOD BOWED TO HIM AND SWORE HIS DESCENDANTS WOULD PROTECT ASSHOLES DECEDENTS FOR ALL TIME. So the Phoneix is NOT run by the blood descendant of their Kami, as is proper, but buy five assholes who think being high level wizzards makes them smarter then everyone else. In the old lore they just had no sense of right and wrong, as you would expect.

I've been thinking of using a minor clan to potentially piss the monoclan PCs off enough to consider starting a war with them. They probably wouldn't need the whole clan in on it, so practically speaking, how and how many men could they muster?

Well by Imperial decree, Great Clans are forbidden from waging war on Minor Clans so...

Even unofficially?

There's always RYW.

But there are silent vowels and some syllables end with -n you fucking imbecile

Well, first of all, there's an imperial edict prohibiting war on minor clans. So if they're Great Clan, all the Minors have to do is cry to the emperor and watch the GC get fucked for trying.

If they go ahead with it anyway, they most likely only need a few hundred guys to completely ruin any given minor clan. Some of them don't even reach the double digits in total numbers (Never mind active fighting strength), and usually have less than 2 strongpoints in their entire tiny chunk of land.

>What's the difference between Phoenix and Dragon, they sound kind of similar
The Phoenix only has three families.

*percussive sting*

Is it really a war if you're just getting some boys to help you fuck a bunch of minor clan faggots up because they've wronged you?

So the families of the phoenix clan, they're the asshole's descendants?

What happened to the demigod's family?

>what's everyone else's weakness?

One day, a Ki-Rin was frolicking in the field. Her sister the Phoenix had told her to look out for the Scorpion, but the Ki-RIn was so busy playing and looking at all the new things that she only half-listened to her sister's warning.

While she was playing, a creature climbed upon a rock to watch. The Ki-Rin saw the creature and said "I have seen Flower, and I have seen Tree, and I have seen Horse, but I have not seen you. Who are you?"

The creature said, "I am Truth"

The Ki-Rin smiled. I am very pleased to meet you, friend Truth. Have you seen the Scorpion? My sister told me to watch for him, but I do not know what he looks like."

"Yes, I know Scorpion" said Truth.

"Can you tell me what he looks like?"

"Yes. In fact, let us go look for him now. If you put me on your back, we will go much faster than if we both walk."

"Good idea!" said the Ki-Rin. "Climb on my back, friend, and we will be off." Truth climbed on, and the two set off.

"So, what does Scorpion look like, Truth?"

"He has to very sharp pincers," said Truth.

Ki-RIn looked at Truth's two pincers, and nodded

"He has many legs,"

Ki_Rin felt Truth's many legs upon her back and nodded in understanding once more

"And he has a tail that drips deadly poison"

Ki-RIn looked at Truth's tail and exclaimed "Why Truth, Scorpion looks exactly like you!'

Truth smiled at Ki-RIn. "Yes. Yes he does."

Ki-Rin laughed then "It is fortunate I met you before I met him then!"

Truth nodded. "Indeed it is."

And Ki-Rin had nothing more to say.

Don't listen to the oldguard memers. They're still recovering from blind loyalty and faction hate based on what shitty writers did.