/CofD/ & /wodg/ Chronicles of Darkness and World of Darkness General

Previous thread: >Pastebin:
pastebin.com/7HiVphFm
>News
kickstarter.com/projects/200664283/chronicles-of-darkness-dark-eras-2
paradoxinteractive.com/en/white-wolf-partners-with-focus-home-interactive-for-a-video-game-adaptation-of-the-world-of-darkness-storyteller-game-werewolf-the-apocalypse/
>This week's Monday Meeting Notes:
theonyxpath.com/these-eras-are-dark-too-monday-meeting-notes/
>Question:
Are you going to donate the Dark era 2 kickstarter?
>5th editons cliffnotes
pastebin.com/cp0r59da

Other urls found in this thread:

theonyxpath.com/the-true-fae-changeling-the-lost/
bynightstudios.com/blog/2017/6/28/announcing-met-vampire-the-masquerade-volume-2
blog.white-wolf.com/2017/06/15/v5-pre-alpha-the-curtain-rises/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Because David Hill got bullied into quiting over some guy named Zak bullying him... Or something.

>Are you going to donate the Dark era 2 kickstarter?

Nope.

I would like some experience with True Faith and how you used it in your chronic.

To be honest senpai I'm siding with DavidH over this shit show.

yes, unless geist doesn't win the golden age of piracy poll

Just for Golden age of Piracy, that's my jam son.

I mean considering the shit I read, yeah David is probably in the right... but you know he's gone so... Mixed blessings?

I might drop twenty bucks if I get some cash. I do want that Chinese Mummy setting, and a potential early look at Deviant is intriguing.

>Dark era 2 kickstarter

Only 1/2 of one chapter for Mage. Unless that changes significantly, I'll pass.

Please upload Building a Legend pdf

>"I never suggested that the Sabbat are all enslaved idiots. They simply aren't nearly as free as they think. It's like a Veeky Forums board which cries about safe spaces and censorship, but still has rules on types of speech which aren't allowed (for example, most boards on Veeky Forums banned all talk about MLP since the MLP fans were flooding every forum). The Sabbat are a wonderful example of how true freedom is impossible, and ends up reverting to Freedom, but within Limits. The Sabbat can talk about freedom until they're red in the face, but if you breach Secrecy too many times the Grimaldi will be dragging you into the midday sunlight. The Sabbat are quite simply wrong when they say the sect is focused on freedom, as they are often relatively fascist in their militarism, dogma and cultural warfare."'

God i hate OPP forums

>People are actually this autistic.

>God i hate OPP forums

And then the rest of the thread went into hating/defending muh feminism. I really wish someone would put OPP forums out of its misery

>someone owns a discussion club
>he prevents a group of people that just shits on the floor from entering
>somehow this justifies safe spaces

The mental gymnastics never cease to amaze me.

These are the same retards that say the First Amendment isn't real because you're not allowed to make bomb threats to airlines.

I would like to know how to interpret this rule, my english is not good. It is about the maneuver Bite in combat with V20th rules.

This maneuver is available only to vampires (or other supernatural creatures with sharp teeth, such as werewolves). A bite maneuver is a “combat” bite, intended to cause damage rather than drain blood. Bite damage is aggravated. To use a bite attack, the vampire must first perform a successful clinch, hold, or tackle maneuver (see below). On the turn following the successful attack, the player may declare the bite attempt and make a roll using the modifiers below.

Alternatively, a player can declare her vampire’s bite to be a “Kiss” attack. A Kiss is resolved in the same way
as a normal bite, but inflicts no health levels of damage. Upon connecting with a Kiss, the vampire may begin to drain the victim’s blood at the normal rate, and the victim is typically helpless to resist (see p. 269 for specifics). Following the Kiss, a vampire may, if she chooses, lick the puncture wound of the Kiss closed, thereby removing any evidence that she has fed.

Do you need to clinch, hold, or tackle to preform the "kiss"?
I assume you can bite the same turn if you have multiple actions from celerity or splitting dicepools? It says you have to wait a turn for some reason?

>/CofD/ & /WoD/ General: Where You Go to Complain About Some Other Forum

Any thoughts about the new True Fae preview?

I guess its politically motivated.

>hahah look how dumb FULL FREEDOM really is
>right wing logic doesn't even work
>lets start setting up safe spaces i mean the right wing is doing the same

I am quite out of date around this whole David Hill matter.

Could you explain it better for me with details, please?

Yeah, you need to be able to clinch, hold, or tackle to perform it. It's a two action tactic: one to get the grapple, another to make a bite. This means that it'll be at least two turns to pull off for most characters.

If you're doing multiple actions, you can grapple and bite in the same turn.

>I am quite out of date around this whole David Hill matter.
>Could you explain it better for me with details, please?

David Hill is a shit writer from OPP who is what "human" personification of the term used as insult for SJW.

He was in a pissing contest with Zak another writer....i think. Who has a cadre of followers who arrass people Zak doesn't like. They targeted David Hill.

New White Wolf decided on their list of "What edgy thing we can do today?" to hire Zak to write for a Masquerade app game. David Hill quit OPP in disgust (Yaaiiii) even though OPP doesn't really have any control on what New White Wolf does. And finally David Hill threw OPP under the bus saying they didn't pay him and were writing an alternatively Changeling without his knowledge months ago. Either thats true or David Hill got pissy that his meaningless quitting gesture didn't call enough attention and try to push the controversy further.

considering the latest changeling stuff and the things brought up since it changed hands, i'm mega fine that he's gone. Even more fine if they really where some how making a separate changeling to spite him or whatever

Thanks, if you use clinch can your opponent (since both are considered clinching) bite you before you have your turn again?

White Wolf (not OPP, which just a White Wolf licensor) hired Zak Sabbath to write a VtM visual novel. He's a controversial figure with an alleged stalking history, part of which involves David Hill and hid family. An earlier Sabbath-related incident had Hill decide to stop working for OPP and slowly work out a system that would fufill his contracts and then transfer Changeling 2e to someone else. The VN announcement allegedly brought a new round of harassment to Hill, and he mulled over whether or not to drop OPP cold turkey.

Before he eventually decided to drop cold turkey, and maybe even before the VM announcement, OPP may or may not have set up some kind of alternate Changeling 2e project without Hill and most of his writing team, for some reason. Either way, Hill was probably not paid in full for his development, most likely just a standard kill fee, even though Changeling 2e had passed Second Draft and was in playtest and development. OPP claims that the drafts were not complete, Hill says they were.

Changeling 2e is currently developed by Rose Bailey, the OPP freelance kerfluffles seem to have died down, and Zak still claims to work for White Wolf. He claims to have represented them at E3. There are no pictures of this.

I can't imagine that anything is actually really that different from Hill's 2e and Baliey's 2e in terms of overall tone and mechanics. I doubt OPP seriously had a totally new version of an edition whipped up in six months and ready for WW review, given their typical production schedule.

I just hope they retain the idea of "any seeming can go with any kith". That was my favorite bit about Hill!2e.

Any major changes made to the True Fae that I should know about?

Yes. Mummy in China and French revolution vampire and demon sounds fun. Plus that first backed era will inevitably happen and pirates will be fun. Gut feeling on popularity alone makes me suspect it'll be vampire or mage and changeling. They have my twenty bucks. Not going to back for more than the book itself would cost

>Trash book with a mix of 1e and 2e rules
Why do they do this and why is Rich still mismanaging OPP by not making updating to 2e a priority and putting out half assed trash material that doesn't work?

If they can act after you on the first turn once the clinch is established, or can act before you on the second in general, it's possible.

Fluff wise not a lot, but mechanically they seem to be simpler.

Nothing major springs to mind fluffwise, and as far as mechanics go it's been too long since I've read Changeling to say. The preview is pretty nice, though.

theonyxpath.com/the-true-fae-changeling-the-lost/

So I spend an action to be able to bite, and that allows them to do it "for free" seems strange.

Thanks anyway, I might homerule something.

You do know this was suggested in the like 2nd CTL supplement and no one ever did it for some reason.

Why the FUCK is the 1001 nights vampire and Beast, it should be FUCKING CHANGELING, Vampires can't do SHIT... Then again neither can Beasts, really, when it comes to fantastic tales

Nobody reads the suppliments.

Because you can shoehorn in way more cringy political statements into the Arabic setting with Beast then Vampire.

I dont like it, mostly because of 2nd edition thing in which you seeming determines how you escaped Arcadia. Too narrow interpretations of it. I preffered more when Seeming was meaningless and i could choose how my character escaped regarless of seeming

Isn't Rose Bailey the transexual writer who wrote Demon the Descent and helped on VtR 2e and Beast?

Talking about Beast, question:

Anyone here played and enjoyed it?

I mean, V2e and Demon are good games, so only one knock aginst her name I guess???

She co-devved Demon, devved Vampire for a long while, and is currently the creative head of the entire Chronicles of Darkness line.

She wrote for Beast too, but so did DaveB. Sometimes good writers end up on material that is bad or unpopular.

Beast had lots of OPPs good writers working on it, just not as devs

Am I the only one disappointed by how much more limited the Gentry sound as of 2e?

Yes

To the guy that was talking about Maltheism in DtF and how it would make it a better game, I wanted to answer before but I was busy and you people spam like fuckers.
DtF has the whole concept on Maltheism actually.
>God created angels and "ordered" them to love him and to love humanity as it was him.
>But you cannot show yourselves to them, you have to work indirectly.
>A vision of a great disaster have the angels worried about humanity and creation
>Angels cannot ask for help from Him because if he would reveal the future he would kill/assimilate them immediately after
>What's left is to take a stand and decide what to do by choosing a side.
>1/3 of angels "defy" orders for humanity's sake
>They create a world of wonders together
>God just come out pissed says "that wasn't the plan you fuckers" and wound Creation, making it bleed a veeery slow death to then hunt down the "rebels" that were just following orders
>war accures, and after a lot of time the ones that loved humanity and creation were locked away in a cage of eternal torment.
>Creation was left to rot and God passes as the good guy because he won.
>He literally brainwashed the humans that decided to follow Him so they would've forgot all the nice things they did and experience before the Fall.
>In Time of Judgment one of the possible scenarios is about Lucifer, and the fact that him rebelling was just an order from God himself, for shit and giggles.
>All that suffering, death and destruction around creation, just a test to see how they would react

That sounds pretty evil and cruel in my opinion.

I created an Ayy Lmao cult tradition

Pandora Rebellion
Nickname: The Cursed

Jonah Jack Gershwin used to be a normal trucker but one lonely night
in 1940 on an empty highway he was abducted by a mysterious force. In
the days later, Jonah found he was cursed with a power that warped
Mind and Time as he wished to fulfil his most evil desires. Searching
for answers, Jonah went on a pilgrimage to a Tibetan monastery
(actually members of the Akashic Brotherhood.) The masters of the
monastery were unprepared to take in somebody already awakened but
privately they agreed that if Jonah's story was true and someone or
some otherworldy entity was awakening people who were not ready yet
then it was morally right for them to help out where they could. For
ten long years, Jonah trained hard in the monastery but instead of
revealing an inner peace the meditative exercises of the Akashic
Brotherhood revealed to Jonah horrifying nightmares and visions of
strange tortures and perversities that his abductors had inflicted on
him. And furthermore, the Akashic Brotherhood refused to give him any
real answers about the problems he faced, not until Jonah had better
control over his nightmares and visions anyway. One night besailed by
especially evil visions, Jonah used his new-found control over his
powers to sneak into the secret depths of the monastery and steal the
most secret scriptures of the monastery. Jonah then left the
monastery and disappeared.

Five years later, Jonah resurfaced, a new man. Instead of a trembling and shaken mess, Jonah was a furious and righteous prophet proclaiming terrible visions he had of his abduction and prophecies of alien invaders. Of how his abductors were actually Atlantean aliens from ancient times come to reclaim the planet. That they were experimenting on abducted humans to unbalance and destroy their minds. That only madness could percieve the true mad bodies of these ancient gods and that human disbelief would act as a shield against their intrusion. That the ultimate goal of the Atlanteans was to turn the entire world completely insane that they might invade the earth and rule it.

Moreover, Jonah preached of evil followers of the aliens. The Followers of Atlantis are former abductees who work for the Atlanteans in turn for political power and a place in the world that is come after the apocalypse. Unfortunately, modern Cursed tend to label anyone and anything as a Follower of Atlantis including much of the Cursed themselves.

Jonah's furious preaching quickly gathered a cult of people with similar survivor stories around them which in time became the Pandora Rebellion. But in the year 1960, Jonah suddenly disappeared and the cult weakened greatly. It was only with the advent of global communication systems like BBS bulletin boards or later the internet that The Cursed experienced massive resurgences and expanded into the large group they are today.

Philosophy:

The Truth is out there. The Atlanteans are real. And the apocalypse is coming. Creatures of madness and evil have broken into our minds and awakened the power of our evil urges. You must fight. Fight against the madness and the evil urges and use your powers for good. Only by following the example of the enlightened one, Jonah Jack Gershwin, can we stop the Followers of Atlantis and prevent the formation of the One World Mind and the apocalypse.

Organization:

The Cursed are organized into tiny support groups scattered around the country connected mostly by the internet.

Meetings:

There are no regularly scheduled meetings. All meetings are conducted online in internet forums.

Initiation:

The Cursed are not initiated but found. The initiation if any is the initial abduction.

Chantry:

The Cursed are too decentralized too have any very large chantries. They mostly organize into very small support groups.

Sphere: Mind

Foci: Vice-Forces/Mind/Time/Matter,Language-Spirit/Entropy,Touch-Prime/Life,Unsure-Correspondence

Vice - The Cursed teach that Atlantean magic stems from madness and evil. Only by tapping into those urges can unskilled Cursed work magic many kinds of magic.

Touch - Only by a laying on of hands can the Cursed invoke Life and Prime.

Language - The reconstructed ancient language of Atlantean is key to invoking and control the Atlantean powers.

That's really the worst part, it feels like it limits what can actually happen to you in arcadia and how your character can escape, there is no guile involved, just self mutilation. not to mention the blessing and curses are more boring than the original seeming ones in 1e. It really leaves Arcadia feeling far flatter than its possibilities in 1e. Not limiting kiths to seeming is literally the only good part out of it, and that was already in the rules.

Stereotypes:

The Technocracy - The man, the One World Mind. Infested by Followers of Atlantis through and through.

Akashic Brotherhood - Holders of ancient wisdom. It is a pity that they do not see the urgent need to act now and prevent the apocalypse.

Cult of Ecstasy - Degenerate hedonists. Even if they are not Followers of Atlantis themselves they are pawns to them.

Celestial Chorus - Papist pawns of the Followers of Atlantis who seek a One World Mind.

Hollow Ones - The worst sort of pawn of the Followers of Atlantis. Cynical, antilife and antisanity. Just one of the kinds of madness that Followers of Atlantis seek to bring into this world.

Dreamspeakers - Innocent ones, children of Eden untainted by evil. In this environmentally poisoned world close to the apocalypse it is a shame there is no longer a place for them.

Order of Hermes - Dangerous collectors of malefic lore. Too many of them seek to summon the Atlanteans from beyond and use them for their own purposes.

Virtual Adepts - At one hand the Cursed know the power of the internet first hand to collect and organize people. On the other, the internet seems too much like the One World Mind that Jonah prophesied.

Unsure what their perspective on Sons of Ether, Verbana and Euthanatos should be.

Concepts: conspiracy theorist, cultist, furious born-again street preacher.

>Not limiting kiths to seeming is literally the only good part out of it, and that was already in the rules

Well let's hope that bit stays in at the very least.

There is already an ayy-centered group in sorcerer revised, and another, related one in the original writeup. They even got a not-so-good ToJ scenario.

Sorcerer was a mistake

I took a look. The Star Council don't seem very fleshed out. Also, I wanted to focus the concept around alien abduction. I focused around the idea of a person abducted by aliens and so by awakened into Magery.

>Awakening was a mistake.

Fixed for you

that is basically their concept. But Ka Luon have been left deliberately vague because if you're using Aliens you probably already have an Idea what you want to do with them.

Are the magefags gone?

So Mind's Eye Theatre: Vampire the Masquerade Volume 2 is coming. Apparently it's going to fill in a lot of the shortcomings and add some additional rules and settings (such as Dark Ages and Victorian) for LARP. Kinda excited.
bynightstudios.com/blog/2017/6/28/announcing-met-vampire-the-masquerade-volume-2

Objectively Correct Venue Ranking

GOD TIER
Wraith
Werewolf: The Apocalypse

GOOD TIER
Vampire: The Requiem
Hunter: The Vigil
Changeling: The Lost

ALRIGHT TIER
Demon: The Descent
Vampire: The Masquerade
Promethean: The Created
Geist

LITERALLY WHO? TIER
Mummy
Demon: The Fallen

BAD TIER
Changeling: The Dreaming
Hunter: The Reckoning
Werewolf: The Forsaken
Vampire: The Masquerade (Sabbat)

KILL YOURSELF MY MAN TIER
Beast
Mage
Fan Venues

>KILL YOURSELF MY MAN TIER
>Mage

>this jealous

>He thinks Apocalypse is god tier.
>Descent and Geist being alright.
>Forsaken being bad.
>Having taste this objectively shit.

>he thinks forsaken is better than apocalypse
>he thinks Geist, as a pale mockery of Wraith, deserves to be lower OR higher on the list
>he doesn't like Apocalypse
>Having taste this objectively shit

I'm sorry for not being a hippy nor a furry, user.

Fixed your list brohab. And it's Splat, not venue

GOD TIER
Demon: The Descent
Mage: The Ascension
Vampire: The Masquerade(Sabbat)

GOOD TIER
Geist
Wraith
Vampire: The Masquerade
Changeling: The Lost
Werewolf: The Forsaken

ALRIGHT TIER
Mage: The Awakening
Changeling: The Dreaming(C20 has redeemed the splat)
Hunter: The Vigil

LITERALLY WHO? TIER
Mummy
Alien: The Stranded (best fansplat, but no one's ever heard of it)

BAD TIER
Hunter: The Reckoning
Promethean: The Created
Vampire:The Requiem

KILL YOURSELF MY MAN TIER
Fansplats (Besides Alien: The Stranded)
Demon: The Fallen

YIFF IN HELL, FURFAG
Werewolf: The Apocalypse
Beast

Yes but it's more clear in D:tD, where as D:tF takes a tone of "Yaweh wuz a gud boi he dindu nuffin, get right with yo gawd"

I want to see god's angels as antagonists actively and deliberately making the world of darkness a shitty place

I Should probably switch promethean and DTF

I'd bump Vigil and Awakening up a tier, but this is a good list.

>Mage, Demon, Sabbat in God Tier
>Wraith is only "good"
>le furry category for based Apocalypse

Holy shit, kiddo, go polish your katana collection and grab your trenchcoats from the dry cleaners.

And, no. Venue sounds better than splat.

Rose is our boss. Rich is her boss.

I wrote more of Beast than she did.

pssssh Dave
we will not tell anybody
do you like beast?

>Butttriggered furfag detected

And "venue" makes you sound like a hipster faggot

I have mixed feelings for Awakening, and I already played the shit out of Call of Cthluhu in middle school.

He is contractually obligated to lie

Hey Dave

What are your thoughts on Mage Supremacy?

>Based

That's not how you spell "Pile of cum-ridden shit"

Look man, I'm a Apocalypse Fan, but it is no where near God Tier as written

>Question:

No, nor will I buy it. It's a garbage product, basically welfare for Rich's pet writers. There is no need for yet another alternate setting book in the first place, when so many lines are still waiting for work on their 2.0 variants, and whatever seems to get published seems so poorly edited/jumbled together that the extra time spent on side projects like these seems even more wasteful.

Personally, I truly enjoy the game of Beast I am currently running. I think there is a lot of potential for the game and it depends on both the ST and the Players as to how the game goes and if it is really good.

I didn't know you wrote a lot of it.

Not particularly, but it's not my least favourite CofD game.

It is okay, out of ten games, to not be slavishly devoted to all of them. There's even some people who don't like Mage!

(And those people are *wrong*)

Another beautiful DaveB post. Saved.

Dave, that skull icon for Deviant is bitchin.

Can you get Travis to tease some more Geist stuff or start open development posts? Hell at this point I'd settle just to know what the chronicle featured in the title is.

Really? I would be curious what your least favorite is. Fansplats don't count, even if they are as good as Alien: the Stranded.

Dave's favorite splat is, in fact, a fansplat.

He secretly produced Princess.

Link or pic?

Nakama Vs Mage.webm

So I'm writing up an OMage game and I've decided I want to use Hunters as antagonists.

It turns out Hunters are the Vanguard of an Invasion of some sort, as part of an attempt to wipe out or surpress the indigenous supernatural population. The local spoops would probably be the single biggest threat to such an attempt.

I'm not sure which Aliens I'm going to use as the invaders, but I'm going to have the Greys drop the dime on them.

So what is your least favorite game?

He will never tell us. Ever. Never ever ever ever.

>So I'm writing up an OMage game and I've decided I want to use Hunters as antagonists.
I'm not sure you know what the word "antagonist" means. Some ants in your basement would be a nuisance, not an antagonist.

This isn't Awakening, mages aren't supposed to be asswipes by default. Besides, Imbued are pretty good at shutting down powers and stirring up their fellow normies, right?

And haven't you ever read "Lexington vs. the ants" before?

Got a Cronenburg Fly skull

Lol, the traditions are all asswipes, wanting to return the world to the dark ages and shit.

G...gee, Rick, I sure do miss Cronenburg World...

Wow, that is cool. I'm getting some Guyver too.

As long as Deviant lets me having a Mega Smasher I'm all for it.

Spoken like a fucking normie. It's like you don't want magic shaman sex orgy castles.

Someone never read revised. The Trads generally don't want to abolish technology and science, they want the freedom to pursue their own paths and show humanity the truth about reality.

THAT'S the technocratic kool-aid. The Union may have based their hyperscience on cosmological constants, but it's really about control. At least for the people making the decisions.

Needs more Deus Ex, less T-Virus.

Wasn't the head developer for Demon the same guy behind Beast?

I still can't figure out how the hell it all went so wrong.

Personally, I hope I can go full 'Akira'.

Why isn't the actual 5e playtest in the OP instead of the pastebin?
blog.white-wolf.com/2017/06/15/v5-pre-alpha-the-curtain-rises/

Hadnt they lost by revised?

Either way mages in any world are asshats. World breaking, caine fucking, luna killing glorious asshats.

>World breaking
>caine fucking
>luna killing glorious asshats

I would say it's all theoretical, but then again, that just means it's doable.

>He's a controversial figure with an alleged stalking history, part of which involves David Hill and hid family.
Is there any actual proof of this harassment shit? Apparently WWP published this:

"Regarding the recent accusations made against our freelancers: White Wolf was aware of and investigated the previous accusations against Zak before contracting him to write and illustrate the game script. Fortunately, these accusations all pertained to alleged online behavior: each accusation is connected to an online discussion, and the digital records of these discussions can be located and reviewed. White Wolf’s investigation concluded that the accusations are false, and that Zak did not engage in the alleged behavior. We have full faith in Zak and Sarah and are excited to see their great work with the World of Darkness spread!"

If the logs are there and WWP went through them, I don't think they'd risk the backlash by blatantly lying about said logs not containing harassment material.

This Sabbath guy might be an asshole, but I'm more convinced this is David Hill and co. screaming persecution when people call them shitters and someone they dislike happened to agree.

This is true but what mage posters forget is that PC mages are never as prepared as they wank because players are there to act out a story not sit around rolling dice for the next hour on hung spells.

Also lady luck is a fickle bitch and mages can still fail their rolls

Guess Mage overtook Geist on the Age of Piracy poll. Hope Geist can still remain at least in second place.

Deviant covers stuff from The Fly, Invisible Man, Guyver, Dr. Jekyll, Akira and Cyborgs.

Apparently so. If you enter blow-out mode with your powers. It's sort of like Demons going loud, but a lot more drastic, very likely irreversible and more often than not probably pretty fatal since you are rupturing with power.