Have you ever written a catechism sacred text for your setting's religion? Alternatively...

Have you ever written a catechism \ sacred text for your setting's religion? Alternatively, have you ever encountered one in your tabletop experience?

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/P5EJhU0L
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Not really. I don't see why you'd want to do this, unless you create a tl;dr version it would be an incredibly thick work that nobody wants to write and nobody wants to read for a tabletop game. I imagine this is also why fantasy settings tend to be overwhelmingly pagan: paganism is vague and doesn't have many official scriptures, if any at all. It generally tends to be an affair of "Sacrifice Y to Being X if you want Z, don't do A or B because that pisses being X".

It's a TL;DR version of Matthew from the New Testament.

The thing is, I'm a bit of a harsh DM and the setting in question has dark tones to it. Players have chosen to profess analog of Catholic Christianity because this is the most close\comfortable ethic system for them amidst all morally gray content, as I see it.

In setting, 'gods' can apply their agencies to those on 'material Plane', yet have other powers related to them and powers above. I've chosen to define ersatz-Jesus' forthcoming as a reference point of a new era when full-blown wizards appear in the world.

So, this tldr text is supposed to give players' info on this entity and his sayings, first of a kind in terms of coming from a god, about creation, divinity, arcane and divine magic, demons, devils, fae and so on. Also, how he behaved and what has become of him.

Just a few snippets of pseudofiction here and there. Things to open up a text.

Yeah, kinda. It cribsfrom a lot of sources but I've altered it to fit with my setting's supreme being

pastebin.com/P5EJhU0L

I've only ever seen this taken all the way in vidya, specifically Morrowind. For tabletop, it seems like a lot of effort for something that only 5 people are going to see, and probably won't give two fucks about

bump

When I played a Cleric of Bane, I literally just started borrowing quotes from the Old Testament out of context, and changed the word LORD to BANE

I was inspired by Alexander Anderson's Museum rant in Hellsing

Sure, in the WoD, there's the Testament of Longinus.

>He doesn't write a sacred text for an ingame religion
>He doesn't have characters with real theological disputes from misreadings and different interpretations of the text
>He doesn't have two otherwise Lawful Good characters at each other's throats because they interpret a verse differently
>His party doesn't schism because of the translation of the holy book they prefer
sad desu

Too far from my tastes

One more bump beyond this and to the sea's bottom the thread goes.

I've got a player right now who has a character who is a (probably) a prophet (of a sort), but whose beliefs are clearly heretical. There is little hope of heterodoxy and right now it's looking like the character's likely end point will be some kind of martyrdom. Barring a (literal or figurative) miracle, of course.

This same player has another character in another game who is cynically writing religious and philosophical epistles to manipulate a marginalized but passionate religion.

Yeah, it's weird this doesn't come up more, not only because it's so prevalent historically but because I've seen game books address it, often in very mainstream and popular game lines. Heck, one of the few truly good Forgotten Realms books in 3.x had systems for heresy and for issuing bulls. I mean, the systems aren't great (they're more of a starting point than anything) but it at least shows that people are thinking about it and giving clerics something to do at high levels that's just as meaningful in their oeuvre as building a kingdom is in a fighter's.

I should also add that imaginary religious texts used to be quite common in the World of Darkness. There were a few official ones (like Vampire: The Masquerade's Book of Nod) to serve as inspiration, background, and LARP props and it was quite common for Storytellers to make their own. Dunno if that's still the case, though, as I'm even less a part of that culture than I was in the '90s.

I've made a number of other diagetic items for my games. Most commonly, these take the form of newspaper headlines (or, less often, full articles), but sometimes they're maps or stories or notes or handouts.

I do think it's important to take some with (or as) a player of a religious character (such as a cleric or some paladins) to discuss a bit about that character's beliefs and doctrines as well as their duties and their organization's structure (if any). My play style is such that most of the freedom and burden to do this falls to the players, however, unless they specifically indicate that they're interested in the subject but don't want to come up with that stuff.

No, but now I want to write one. Finally, a use for all those years of Christian private school, regular church attendance, and my stint as an alter boy! In the Methodist church mind you, so no I did not get molested.

Some guy in /wbg/ did one time I think
I haven't seen him in there in a while but I don't browse the general that often either

Nope
Oral traditions

>He doesnt have fantasy baptists in his setting

Title. Description of book, writing style and typical illustrations found within.

1-2 Short sentences describing each chapter, including 0-1 direct quotes.

Thanks for the thread guys, this is all.

I've done a few genesis style creation myths for my setting, but nothing super concrete. I will say though, writing the creation of the universe is super fun when the major point of your setting is that everything turns undead. In this case, so too did the universe.

In have some bad news for you regarding private Protestant molestation rate. You didn't go molestation free because your school was Methodist, you weren't molested cause you were ugly as a child.

>Ask GM if he would like me to write reports back to Head Church on our quest
>Said yes, will read them and give IG rewards/mentions/rp/something for the effort
>Write missives back to HQ for sessions as part of roleplay for Paladin, no more than a paragraph or two each session
>Post them on forum with view count
>Do this for 8 sessions
>Realize nobody in the party or the GM has viewed them
>Thread about why we shouldn't have mages/wizards in the party has 100+ views and half as many replies
>Stop writing them

>Different GM and group
>Roll up Priest type, Church Militant
>Get asked to right up some religious laws and canon for minor Church to improve roleplay
>Write a few bullet points and a couple of paragraphs explaining the church
>Ask what he thinks
>Hasn't read them
>Players don't want to read them
>4th session in
>Still hasn't read them
>Gets mad when I refuse to harm prisoners
>Literally the first bullet point of harming those unable to defend themselves
>Espouse honor all through previous 3 sessions
>Why bother?

Am I being unreasonable to creating characters that are more than a weeb picture and a handful of numbers? Am I wrong for earnestly wanting to have others read a little something I write in relation to the game? I is starting to feel like I am.

No, honestly you sound like the people in my party and it makes it so interesting. One of our members even wrote short stories in diary format for lore of her character. Find more people like you, it makes it so much more fun.

I try, they all turn out to be shit. On roll20 I have my character fleshed out for all to read, they have nothing more than an anime style picture.

No your groups just sound like shitters. I'd love to have a player like you

Are you currently GMing?

It's kind of funny

My whole setting has one Holy Book, which is pretty much *IT* when it comes to creation myth and various stories. In it each of the Gods are named.

However, each God (with the exception of the Mountain God) has a few catechisms, each dealing more with creed, rituals, prayers and the like.

Yeah. Unfortunately it's an IRL group so unless you're in our immediate vicinity I can't really help you out

Same.
Last session the GM decided to read us a piece of setting history that he thought relevant. One of the players broke him off with "Stop, that's boring shit, that's like that user's map"
That was referring to my Viking campaign for which I printed a map of VIII-IXth century Norway. They had problems remembering the names of three jarldoms and as many NPCs.

Are in Texas?

Are you recruiting also?

Nope. Southern Pennsylvania. Sorry.

I feel you. My current group is a little better, but getting my old one to pay attention to fucking anything that wasn't directly related to them, or remember it for longer than it took for them to get paid.

Try joining a literate rp group, that's how I met my lot. Those kinds of people are used to reading and writing a lot and enjoy it.

As far as I am aware, and I have looked, there are none unless you count anime and deleterious works of that nature. I've yet to find any group that has read anything outside modern and very recent science fiction and fantasy. No Heinlein, No Douglas Adams, No Moorcock, no Asimov, not even Prachett. They read comics, watch animie and read modern stuff, not deeper fiction like GRRM or Gaiman.

user, go Catholic or go home.
Also, Protestant theology is just pretty bleh with no real firm basis like Orthodoxy or Catholicism does in their doctrine and I looked at the competition when I was younger quite a bit and strongly considered becoming an Anglican.

Nice

everything turns undead. In this case, so too did the universe.
Like, how exactly and what happened after?

>user, go Orthodox or go home.
ftfy