Let's cut through the crap and get right to it, what RPGs are the most worth playing in 2017?

Let's cut through the crap and get right to it, what RPGs are the most worth playing in 2017?

I liked Persona 5 and Witcher 3

You ought to at least try MonsterHearts and Dogs in the Vineyard. No guarantee you'll enjoy them but they're interesting enough.

I think a d4 would probably make the best weapon, it has the sharpest points.

GURPS is worth it, GURPS is best

No, fuck that stupid garbage

Not enough data for a meaningful answer.

It all depends on your playstyle and priorities, what you and your group enjoy.

If you love rules light narrative focused and experimental games, then are great recommendations, but as shows they aren't for everybody.

And basically anything that could be mentioned is the same. Good for some people, sure, but not for others.

>these fucking terrible games I'm trying to force are a great suggestion
Jesus fucking christ just get the fuck out, would you?

Did you even read the post?

They're a great suggestion for people who enjoy that kind of game. You clearly do not, and expressing your dislike for them is just as valid as someone expressing their appreciation of them.

However, you seem to be attempting to declare them objectively bad, which just makes you a stupid badwrongfun asshole.

Traveller has a really nice combat system, and in fact the entire thing is pretty easy to adapt to any modern or near-future sci-fi setting.

GURPS can run anything and isn't nearly as hard as plebs make out. I find it easier and less bloated than Pathfinder.

Shadowrun 5e is a mixed bag, mostly positive IMO but regardless, the underlying strengths of SR are still there: a rich playing environment that lets players come up with complex solutions to complex problems, and encourages planning and caution.

Paranoia is always fun. Call of Cthulhu is punishing and a good cure for 'muh heroic narrative' shit.

DnD and DW are both cancer of dogshit. "b-b-b-b-b-but they make good intro games!" people might cry, but I'd sooner introduce people by using 1-page PDF games that show the basic concepts of how to into RPGs without the aforementioned two games' cancerous mechanics.

Gurps. My man.

Fuck off retard

Gonna stick with the classics: Rollmaster and FATAL.

OSR

Myfarog.

What about this Delta Green thing I've been hearing about, is that any fun? I've been a fan of the call of cthulu games for a while now.

What's the most recently published game anyone reading this post plays?

Looking through my pdfs I can't find anything past 2013.

5e, senpai. Don't let those hipster bullshitters kid you. It's the best D&D's ever been mechanically and the biggest the scene has ever been, ever.

Blades in the Dark is pretty great

Your favourite. Tabletop games don't age. There's no sweet new tech or concept that's gonna change gaming forever and there never will be. There are shifts in style of course like the push for narrative games more recently, but we then see a pushback with the Old School Renaissance showing how the older style is a forgotten way of playing that is still a lot of fun.

I've found it very hard to get excited for any new game releases because there is a 40+ year backlog of games that are just as good as the stuff now.

PbtA games have honestly revolutionized how I game and I don't really ever want to play anything else.

I just started playing Z-Land and it's amazing so I'll say that.

Not really.

So...you're a brain dead retard who can't actually think for himself.

Dungeons and Dragons with homebrew rules your groups like and a desire above all else to have fun and enjoy the game.

There is no better game.

Ops and tactics

Depends on the setting.

But the others could plausibly be better aerodynamicly

Shinobigami.

FATAL

You must hate it when people eat foods you don't like, user.

>No, fuck that stupid garbage
Could you explain your disdain without using the terms "hipster", "SJW", "cuck", or "numale"?

Do you enjoy being an unlikeable person?

I think he got spooked off

D&D 5e.

This is basically my only problem with DnD (other than I dislike playing it). Why must people push that convoluted cliché crap on beginners?

Because it's why D&D has survived and is still so dominant. It asserts its memes on new players, convincing them that it is the one true way to play RPGs, and that anything outside of it is false and wrong. It backfired on them with 4e, where they underestimated the inflexibility of the mindset they'd cultivated in their players, while bland shit like 5e and pure dogshit like 3.PF is lavished with affection because it helps maintain their shared delusion of the one true way for RPGs to be. If new players aren't indoctrinated, they might come to believe otherwise, which is heresy to the cultists.

Fragged Empire. Wade Dyer made a beautifully and intelligently crafted setting with lots of interesting ideas presented in a far-off future with no humans. Plus there's a bunch of really cool sourcebooks based on the core rules coming soon.

Fragged Aeternum - which does Soulsian inspired madness right IMO, lots of cool shit bout magic, weapons, etc

Fragged Kingdom - neat fantasy setting with unique races, and a super powerful archdruid as a main villain
and
Fragged Sea - Pirates on an open sea full of eldritch monstrosities.

Serious question. What exactly makes D&D in particular so bad mechanically in comparison to those other games ?

Personal preference - see

I dunno, you lot managed to give him like a dozen (you)s, way past the point it was worth it.
(For the record, I will say - enjoyed reading Dogs, but wasn't much for actual playing of it. And I couldn't really get into straight Apocalypse World, but in trying out other PbtA games, I find that I enjoy the system much more then I expected.)

Disclaimer: My D&D experience is almost entirely 5e and Pathfinder, with a little bit of 4e.

I personally don't like D&D's approach to magic, I find the monsters to be all over the place without much sense of cohesion, and I find the classes a little too inflexible for what I generally want to do. I also don't like dungeon crawling, the combat is not dangerous enough and too frequently encouraged for my tastes, and as someone who plays a lot of board games, D&D often feels a little "gamey" for my tastes; it makes me feel like I've gotten too much board game in my RPG when I'd rather play one or the other.

Of course, this is all personal taste, and I'm sure a lot of people either aren't bothered by these things or actually enjoy them. I just find that I don't like them that much.

Probably like
Fate Core

Not OP, but I'll ask his same question with more specifics. What would be best if I want the following:

>Fantasy setting
>Magic is present and a factor, but rare and perhaps dangerous
>Melee combat is more than just "I attack the thing"
>A solid class system

>A solid class system

Godsdammit, I was so close to recommending Mythras.

If you can get through all the rules and tables Anima:Beyond Fantasy is an amazing game.

I've had very mixed experiences with Anima. I love so many of the ideas and the powers... And then the system gets schizophrenic with some aspects of it seeming super low powered and gritty, like encumbrance tables or the rules for recovering from injury.

I've also been told it was probably just my GM being shitty, but spending half my time in every fight unable to take actions is just no fucking fun. And this is with an on level defence score and armour.

Class system is the least important part. Tell me more about this system.

It was originally the sixth edition of Runequest, so it's a skill-based, d100 roll-under system. Theain concerns in character creation are your character's culture and career, as in what they actually do for a living. Warrior, Sorceror, and Thief are options, but so are things like Physician, Alchemist, and Official (sometimes you need a guy who knows how the government really works). Combat has a "special effects" feature, where a good roll lets you do things like choose which hit location you hit instead of rolling for it, making your opponent bleed, get an opening to throw stuff in their eyes, etc. You get to choose this after you make the roll, and different weapons and fighting styles affect what you can choose (so you can't bleed with a mace, and you need something like a spear to impale someone). Magic is really customisable; everything costs magic points, but how you get those points differs. The examples, with mechanics, include leading a congregation in worship or sacrificing living creatures. There's also a list of Bad Stuff that can happen when you run out of MP. If you want to make magic rare and dangerous, just make MP hard to come by and dangerous to run out of. It's entirely possible to have sorceror, shaman, or priest who barely does any magic, but put a ton of points in their other career skills. Your priest might not want to risk the dangers of asking their god for help, but all that preaching is good practice for getting people to do what they want. (Seriously, Priests get Deceit and Influence as class skills by default.)

I'm looking at the basic rules on their site right now and I'm definitely interested. With what you've described, it seems like I could really have a field day with customizing a setting, which as a likely perma-GM is of definite interest to me.

My group is really enjoying D&D 5e right now, but all of us find various parts of it unsatisfying, so I'm nosing around for systems to potentially run my own homebrew setting in.

Customisability is probably the system's main strength. I'm currently working on writing up Ravnica from MtG has a setting for it, and it's really interesting to see how to do all of the different guilds. It's probably going to be a very highagic take on things. I also have a decadent empire homebrew setting (think the civilisations Conan runs into and disdains, but shown from the inside) where the nobles are into casual demonology, and I'm probably going to come up with a low-magic setting now based on the suggestions I gave you.

I've kind of got this idea that I'd like to make a clear distinction between divine and non-divine magic. Divine magic is completely safe but you can't really learn it so much as you're chosen to have it, while non-divine magic equally rare, generally more powerful, and definitely more dangerous to use.

Entirely possuble to do in Mythras. Follow my suggestions for whatever system you choose for non-divine magic (probably Sorcery), and make the Devotion skill that Theists use not a learned skill, but a measure of how much support a god is willing to offer a character. Perhaps make it a skill that you can take at character creation, if you want to play a character with a god's favour, but that you either can't raise normally in play, or that it' s really hard to raise, because the only way to "train" it is to earn more of your god's attention through your deeds. Mythras's advancement rules already put a lot of emphasis on the need to find someone to teach a skill, so it shouldn't be hard to build on that to represent something that can't really be taught, and requires something else to improve.