The Seas are controlled by various tribes of giant Merfolk

>The Seas are controlled by various tribes of giant Merfolk
>The largest of them are bigger than Sperm Whales while the smallest of them are about the size of Orcas
>To fish in their territory they demand a yearly sacrifice of 10 people cast into the sea alive for them to collect

Could such a deal be sustained over hundreds of years?

Other urls found in this thread:

quora.com/Whose-volume-on-earth-is-more-water-or-breathable-air
brunokopte.deviantart.com/art/Underwater-civilization-without-fire-nor-magic-669883636
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Depends on how good the sex is.

>every year you sacrifice 10 people for great fishing rights
>less people, more food
>still suffering the same rigors of life otherwise; disease, infant mortality, etc
Sounds like it'd be one of those crazy insular yet idyllic societies like in Wicker Man where if you find out they sacrifice you as part of the yearly tribute.

Nice fetish you got there OP

I'm lying IT'S SHIT

Every single mermaid is dead, butchered by massively powerful adventurers who object, and the remains sold off to wizards for alchemy money.

/thread

Assuming it's not a poor sea side dirt village I suppose it would be a good way to offload criminals.

Then again I wonder how it would go if the humans said fuck the merfolk and tried to hunt them down?

It mostly feels like internal bleeding.

The deal lasts for however much as long as it takes one genius fisherman to realize he could just dump as much pig shit and oil into the ocean as possible to kill them off.

>genius

yeah at best you're killing a major food source, at worst it doesn't even work and now the merfolk are pissed

I have a race like that in my setting. Minus the sacrifice for the most part.

No reason it would be any less practical than the normal aquatic biosphere. As far as convincing people to toss folks into the sea for fish? Hey, man's gotta eat.

What is that race like? Gib details plz

>Why specifically ten?
>There's no way ten humans a year provides some specific dietary requirement for creatures of that size, they'd probably need a lot more if they're entire tribes.
>This is either a political statement of power established by their leadership just to exert control over us, or provides some religious purpose, possibly so that they can sacrifice the surface dwellers to their gods?
>Or perhaps they can further increase their numbers by putting the 'sacrifices' through some sort of magical transformation. This would raise yet further questions.
>If they're not honest with us as to why they want these sacrifices, it means either their leaders are tyrants, they specifically enjoy eating humans as delicacies, or it serves some religious purpose which almost certainly means they worship a morally questionable god at best.

>Essentially, if they don't admit that it's the transformative option, or something in the same vein, either their leaders are evil tyrants, or their culture worships an evil god.
>We need to either hire powerful adventurers to kill them (if we're a fantasy game), or develop the technology to wage an undersea war against them, which should be pretty easy since they probably won't be able to attack our infrastructure, but we can attack theirs.
>That or just depose their political/religious leaders and do away with this whole thing entirely.

They are very animistic merpeople, halfway between shaugins with tails and normal people. The more powerful they are the bigger they get, usually going through several cycles of growth that vastly change their morphology, making them more fantastical and brightly colored each time.

The biggest ones live at the edges of the world in huge underwater palaces where they control the winds. These giant mer-kings sold shipping rights to the giants in exchange for something, which no one but the merchant kings of the south know.

They grow all their tools from coral, or rarely forge volcanic glass in undersea volcanoes. While the rest of the world has been developing for the last thousand years, they've basically stagnated as a society and are largely a bunch of indulgent egotists.

What if they need to sacrifice people to the things in the depths so they don't come out of the depths?
Ten whale sized merfolk a year is fucking huge, but then it turns out tiny, fast breeding humans also count as people to the dark things below.

>>The largest of them are bigger than Sperm Whales while the smallest of them are about the size of Orcas
This would require an absolutely titanic level of sustenance to maintain anything like a sizeable population.

Just start dumping pollutants into the ocean until they get the message. Sure, we'll take a hit, but you can bet that they'll be taking a much bigger one.

Pollution starts pouring out of the oceans and blacking out the skies. Somehow, it is also getting very hot, like a venus.

CLIMATE CHANGE DOES NOT WORK THAT WAY.
GOOD NIGHT.

that's why I said somehow.
YOU GET BOTH PERPETUAL WINTER AND VENUS STYLE OVERHEATING
DEAL WITH IT BITCH

Why do they want this sacrifice, exactly? Depending on the sacrifices' diets, chances are they would all taste awful.

So long as the finned assholes also have to deal with it, I chalk that up as a win.

Well, you also have to deal with the water pollution.
It's not like these things are mutually exclusive.

That's a bit like swallowing a sponge to soak up the beer so you don't get drunk when you go out to the bar.
Technically, you won't get drunk, so it's a win.

>Could such a deal be sustained over hundreds of years?
presuming we're not talking about a small island nation with a limited population, I'd say yes.

I think he was implying that mermaid magic was at work, but boy, you're quick to jump down people's throats.

This is the most likely scenario I was thinking of. In this case, the story just becomes adventurers discovering this and helping the merfolk overthrow/kill their dark gods.

Morbo wishes these stalwart nomads peace among the Dutch tulips.

You have just dedcribed chineese sea dragons

Why would dark gods be interested in ten tiny humans at all? Why would they be interested in anything?

Cool, I'll make them more eastern. I like that.

>Coastal civilization can easily attack Merfolk-land
>Merfolk-land can't easily attack Coastal civilization

Why are they demanding 10 sacrifices a year instead of something more economically advantageous less likely to piss off the people that live literally above you? Responsible fishing practices and clean waters not a good enough deal for you?

This is as retarded as commanding people that live in the clouds to sacrifice their people to you for the privilege of hunting birds.

We are delicious. But not very good for you.

>Cosmically powered squid, what do you want to do today?
>I WANT TO EAT HUMANS
>You sure bro? You don't want to go snuff out stars or-
>YUM YUM EAT EM UP

I think Earth is where the cosmic squids dump their autistic little brothers. Sort of how you leave your little brother at home to play with play do while you're out with your bros bowling. Because play do is all your brother ever wants to play with.

plot twist, it's not the mer kingdom it's an exiled 'noble' who demanded this trade under the guise of it being the command of the mer-king.

He is using magic to transform these people into new more powerful freakmermen. 10 a year is his limit in both maintaining the rituals and also means that his gradually increasing army isn't detected.

He's been at this for hundreds of years whilst the merpeople have gradually declined as the surface worlders fish more and more.

They need ten intelligences a year to power their roomba

The humans just claim the coastal waters and its fishes then if thats the way the Mercucks want to play.

Giant fish come into the territory they're getting weighted barrels of lye and other soluable nasties dumped in their territories.

There's a lottttt of nasty things humans can just fire and forget into the ocean to kill lots of things. Too many simple chemicals react badly with water.

A lot of nasty chemicals react with the air, too.

Not like I need those thiefs and killers anyway.

Were I the merfolks, I would ocasionally beach a colossal squid or two, just so the dryfolk saw what kind of devils live in the depths. Wait two or three generations, they would worship us like gods.

Although the lack of numbers and region's sizes bothers me. 10 people could be too few, the faithful might provide more criminals and a few zealots drown themselves because they think they will "descend" into godhood.

Huh, fishing might become the most important profession, knowing how to swim might be forbidden because that is a godly domain... There are possibilities here.

>Mercucks having any knowledge of chemistry

At any rate they'll be fighting against gravity to pollute the air. Humans will be fighting with gravity.

It's a lot harder to hide from something thrown in the water when you're in the water than something throw up in the air when you're on land. Wind currents don't have the weight of several miles of water to force everything down into coral palaces.

>landcucks having any knowledge of chemistry
Poisonous gasses are some of the easiest things to make in all of chemistry. Let alone the intense problems they could create with greenhouse gasses.

You don't seem to know much about terraform warfare.

Why are /pol/fags always so generally uneducated?
Is it because they are terrified of being cucked?

>Throw chemicals into the atmosphere
>It rains down and gets into the water
>SHIEETTTTTT

t. Mercuck

>throw chemicals into the water
>it gets into the rain and rains into the land
Why does /pol/ not know about how exotic metals get from the oceans onto the land, or the rain cycle?

>Mercucks and Landcucks having another bitch fight

When will you backwards motherfuckers get on our level? It's so cute watching your ant-sized wars while we build real civilization.

Why not fatten the Merfolk until they're not longer a threat?

>willingly giving members of your species, even the most deplorable ones, as a sacrifice to another species
It doesn't get more pathetic than this.
Gas the pikes, clade war now.

You COULD just not fish in their land.
I mean, we straight up murder anyone who poaches, or at least we did for thousands of years.

>we straight up murder anyone who poaches
Yes, but that's humans killing humans. In the end, humans win anyway.
Not in this case.

You don't speak for all of us. Some of us want to be sacrificed to the big fish tits.

Pls stop fetish shit

So, instead of just not poaching, or losing a portion of your people yearly, you choose to attack the ocean, what has been known as the ultimate futile endeavor in military history?

>Claiming two thirds of the Earth as theirs
GAS THE PIKES

Holy shit you are a pervert.

Not the ocean. Just the mercucks.

>gas
WAY TO KILL HUMANS FRANK
THIS SHIT DOESN'T WORK ON FISH AT ALL

That's fish girls. And octopussies.

Well, at least the /pol/ society would die out in this scenario fighting the sea.

>humans learn about the things in the deep sea
>offer to build giant weapons and armor so the mermaids can fight back, in exchange for stopping the sacrifices

Whale benis.

What do you think fish breathe?

Significantly fewer gasses than humans do, frank.
Stop releasing goddamn deadly gasses, frank.
You are interfering with all of our goddamn operations, frank.

>bubble bubble what is water chlorination

>what is air chlorination
He's talking about gas, after all. Chlorine gas is FUCKIN' BANNED for a reason.

Pikes only live in fresh water you fucking retards. You must be thinking about Jaws.

How are you going to make chlorine down there in the water bubbler?

Obviously, with setting-appropriate levels of technology.

Guys, bad news about the pollution angle.
My first-result-on-google knowledge indicates that the fishmen have a two to one advantage on ease-of-pollution, volume-wise. Way more mass-wise.

quora.com/Whose-volume-on-earth-is-more-water-or-breathable-air

You may want to try another tactic, because the fish would win this one by the numbers.

The vagina-smelling folk have no access to technology though.

We must interbreed with their women and in time our conflicts will pass.

They have access to setting-levels of technology, silly billy.

t. bubble burner

They can't even produce chemicals down there. They're in water user. Ever tried doing chemistry when everything is a water solution?

Yes, actually, that's how I made asprin in college.

Considering, how a large portion of chemistry is getting everything into a water solution, so you are able to work with it, I'd say he did.

That's actually really fucking common in chemistry.

They've been spoiled by their environment. They don't need to worry about food because food is always around them. They don't have to worry about water because water is always around them.

Their castle are made out of coral which just grows around them, not stone hewed from the Earth. Their weapons are made of whale bones, not metals burned into shape.

They have been spoiled into stagnation. This is why they're barbarians who demand human sacrifice.

This is why they are going down.

DAY OF THE HOOK WHEN?

You're starting in water user. You aren't getting anything into a solution because everything around you is a solution. You get what I'm saying?

I get what you're saying, it seems like you are both terminally uncreative and don't actually know how chemistry works.

That would make things easier, yes.

Please mass-produce bronze casts of spear heads and scale armor.

I get what you are saying, I just don't see how that's a problem. If anything you start having eliminated one of the more significant problems.

>baby humans think the ocean is easier than land
Topkek

Describe to me how you're going to make a chlorine gas weapon underwater then. I'll wait mercuck.

The same way you do it on land, but with less steps.

>he still doesn't realize
I wonder how long it will take you to realize the thing without someone telling you.

The same way you do it up here, by the electrolysis of salt water?

You shock some brine in a sealed environment to produce chlorine?
You could rig that shit up with an electric eel and two seashells.

Even deviantart figured out this, you sorry piece of subhuman.
brunokopte.deviantart.com/art/Underwater-civilization-without-fire-nor-magic-669883636

>trying to do electric anything in water
Good luck.

How are you going to make chlorine gas if the fish control the majority of the world's salt supply?

>I just don't see how that's a problem

Here's a big one: How are you going to get heat down there for your anti-human chemistry experiments? You can't even make a fire down there and you're talking about making:

1. Chlorine gas

2. A delivery system for a Chlorine gas weapon

>With an electric eel and two seashells

This is what mercucks thing science is.

Where are you going to get that sealed environment anyway?

>electroylsis

And how are you going to do that?

See, you take the two seashells, and you rub mud on the gap between them.

Making chlorine gas is extremely fucking basic, even a toddler can do it.

I don't understand how you didn't realize this technique already.

I also don't understand how you didn't realize the fish already control the majority of the world's chlorine supply.

>DA in charge of science
You have no natural heat and electricity insulators underwater, just give up.

>you need fire to make chlorine gas
>There are no sources of heat in the ocean
>there is not ample amounts of air unaccessable to land dwelling humans over the ocean
Are you retarded?

Friendly reminder that it takes 4 times more energy to heat up water than the air.
Enjoy your abyssmal efficiency.

Salt mines.

>No natural heat and electricity insulators underwater

B-But we have...we have shells...and mud...ours is a proud and noble species!

Step by step how would you do it AND make it into a weapon to be used against the surface fishlips.

Meanwhile the humans just dump lye in your precious oceans.

>What are undersea volcanic vents?
Since any gas is lighter than water, you can capture the bubbles with a balloon. It serves as a delivery system as well, you just need to puncture it when you reach the coast with it.
Sealed environments are not that hard to build.
Also what part of the electrolytic process confuses you?

I dunno, the fish fags have thus far made a convincing case about the ability to get and make chlorine gas using ocean resources.
As opposed to you, who just magically assumes humans will have it.

And it's double retarded to even consider to begin with, considering the chlorine will naturally leave the water. Chlorination has to be done constantly or it wears off.
How did you get ships, or get on the coast line, since the coast line is being gassed and all deep water docks are owned by the fish?

Where are you getting magical ships, user?
And where are you getting salt mines large enough to chlorinate the ocean?
And where are you getting magical chlorine that doesn't dissipate out of the air?
Where are you getting more-than-the-earth's-supply-of-burnables to make all that lye?

>how you would do it
zap some shells filled with brine and sealed with mud, then huck them at humans.

Chlorine is terminally easy, user.

The best part is even if you constantly chlorinate, you gas yourself if you don't also have a method to recover the dissipated chlorine.

Good luck getting anywhere near these vents without becoming a fish soup.
Meanwhile a relatively thin layer of air would prevent me fom getting burnt by actual fucking plasma.

>Thinking you need to kill the entire ocean to kill fishpeople

LOL.

>I-I'll make a balloon!
>Muh volcanic vents!

And how would you deal with::and

>he doesn't know what an 11 foot pole is
Fucking newfag, you would die in the first dungeon.