Does the Early Modern period have anything interesting besides Pirates?

Does the Early Modern period have anything interesting besides Pirates?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=c-WO73Dh7rY
mediafire.com/file/mpps0xc37sz2d3q/Colonial Gothic.rar
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

yes

Check out Colonial Gothic.

Musketeers, witch hunters, conquistadors, etc.

I'm intrigued. It's not that I dislike pirates, but I'd like to explore more angles to the period.

The reconquista. The discovery of the new world. The invention of the printing press. The Christian Reformation.

Theres probably a shitload of interesting stuff in Asia too, but nobody knows jack shit about it.

You have the Seven Year's War which is in all practices World War 0.5. In it Britain basically supplanted France as the dominant power in the world, leading to vast territorial gains for Britain in North America aswell gaining control over India.The tremendous cost of the war necessitated the imposing of particular taxes on their North American colonies which directly lead to the birth and independence of the USA.

You also have the bitter religious conflicts between catholics and protestants caused by the reformation which culminated in the extremely devastating Thirty Year's War in which a devastated Germany basically turned into the playground on which the European Powers fought their wars.
Sweden, a poor and sparsely population country, managed, through military ingenuity and an extremist protestant interpretation, to turn itself into one of the dominant powers within Europe.
Gustav II Adolf (Gustavus Adolphus), the king of Sweden at the time, believed that he was a messianic figure refered to as the "Lion of the North" who through the divine will of God would conquer the catholics and bring on the second coming of Christ. He however died in battle before he could fullfill his apperant destiny.
The end of the Thirty Year's War was accomplished through the Treaty of Westphalia which gave birth to the modern concept of Nation State.
youtube.com/watch?v=c-WO73Dh7rY

These are just two examples of the very interesting conflicts that took place during the period.

A little thing called the French Revolution, you may have heard of it.

Polish Lithuanian commonwealth and all that drama in Eastern Europe

tulip mania and the rise of the bourgeois

>Does the Early Modern period have anything interesting besides Pirates?
More than you know. The 18thC and its various fantasy analogues is one of my favorite settings.

Reason and logic butt heads against superstition and magic. Crimes against witch craft run afoul of the pursuit of knowledge, with the greatest minds of the age dabbling in alchemy and black magic as much as science and philosophy. (Sir Issac Newton for example)

For all our advancements, the primordial forests of the old world are still a place of danger and terror. Beasts beyond ken prey upon the weakness of humanity. Those who are taken into the wood are seldom heard from again. (The Beast of GĂ©vaudan)

The rising pitch of cities are breeding grounds for the fever of humanity. The free exchange of information means that but one handbill or pamphlet can spark the flames of unrest and violent revolt among the lower class. (See: Every damn revolution of the period)

On the other end of society, the rich have become jaded and decadent, to the point of hedonism.Twisted and indulgent, preying on the lower class or using them as pawns in war. (The Grand Hunts, Marquis DeSade)

Finally... There is the great unknown of exploration with the wealth and danger it entails. Unknown island paradises atop sleeping volcanos. A whole new world of savage natives unchanged by time or the outside. Out side the colonies, and beyond the tribes, you have yet even more terror of the beasts in the woods unlike those in the old world. The bounty to be found in exploring is worth the risk.

Oh, and pirates I guess.

I am a fan from what little I have played.

Thats more late Renaissance really.

The Seven Years War is criminally under appreciated.

One of many.

>Tulips
NO.

Dumping my baroque/flintlock fantasy folder.

Yall need to watch Sharp

mediafire.com/file/mpps0xc37sz2d3q/Colonial Gothic.rar

There are two versions, the original d12 system and the d20 version.

And...
The Bros. Grimm
Perfume: Story of a Murderer
City of Vice
Quills
Tale of Tales
Horatio Hornblower
Im also quite enjoying Harlots.

Awesome!

30 years war

for fucks sake user, read neil stephonsons baroqe cycle. Granted a ton of the cool stuff in it is pirate, but there is a whole lot more.

OH! And Norrel and Strange! Both the book and the mini series

Best pirate coming through

Does The Adventures of Baron Munchausen count?

>forgetting to list Brotherhood of the Wolf
You're missing out on some prime Monica Bellucci in elaborate 18th century costume.

The early modern period is the xvi and xvii centuryes, the seven years war happened in the xviii century less than 50 years before the french revolution.
Again, not early modern

Something about dat century man

Don Quixote can also be slotted in.

>Forgetting
I just wasn't impressed by kungfu gypsies vs. shaolin Cherokee.

But that depends on what system you're using, as general use titicular broad category actually has the start of the Early Modern period at 1480, or even earlier, depending on which portion of Europe you're defining the Renaissance by, with most of our bias to English scholars using the fall of the house of York as a definite point.

>I just wasn't impressed by kungfu gypsies vs. shaolin Cherokee.
I forgot about that part. Yeah, that was a bit silly. Something must have distracted me.

>Using the Tudors to mark the early modern era
I wanted to slap my Early Modern history prof when she pulled that shit.

Who doesn't love baroque girls?

Quijote is set in the early 1600's.

As far as I'm concerned the the renaissance begins at the end of the black plague and the modern era with Cortez's conquest of Mexico.

>Implying there was such a thing as a "Renaissance"