Hahaha, it's a roleplaying game man, just use your imagination

>hahaha, it's a roleplaying game man, just use your imagination
>What? You can't cut his arm off! The rules say you can't!

I feel like we're missing some context here.

Who are you quoting?

Haha, watch this

>unzips craps skills

Games are defined by having rules

>not playing GURPS
Plebs

>p-please. i need somebody to play with.
>why won't anyone try my game?

Called shot to the arm, roll enough damage?

I roll to rape

I think there's a difference between "the rules let you do X, but you can use your imagination to make X happen however you'd like" and "I want to imagine myself doing Y even though the rules say X."

>What? You can just declare "I win"! The rules say you can't!

Ever heard of "balance"? Maybe "moderation"?
There are rules to not make player actions and challenges too arbitrary, so there is a random element based on objective indicators of character skills when it comes to challenges. But the games are still games of imagination and it's not unheard of for GM to stretch the rules. The moment that becomes the norm however, you can expect your whole game to turn into storytelling, with your stats, challenges not meaning much and depending merely on who thought what the outcome of each should be at the moment. And that becomes often a mess as different players have different expectations, hopes and attitudes.

There's a reason why even the lowest of RP game types - the forum storytelling shit - often either turns into some low quality Mary Sue wank or gets some barebones rules and dice rolls to prevent it.

If anything with a sword could just pop people's arms off in combat that would become a bigger problem for the PCs than the enemies pretty quickly.

Not if that's the kind of game the players wanted.

Nah godlike works pretty well, the primary recommendation is for players to control small squads rather than a single talent. Though that isn't to say small group spec-op, spy, etc theme doesn't work.

>>hahaha, it's a roleplaying game man, just use your imagination
t. narrativist
>What? You can't cut his arm off! The rules say you can't!
t. gamist/simulationist

>Called shot to arm.
>I try to cut his arm off with my XYZ
>Roll the dice

What's the problem?

HP doesn't work that way. You'd have to homebrew it.

GM: It's a roleplaying game man, you can do anything
Player: I want to choke the bandit, cutting off circulation to his head
GM: There aren't any rules for cutting off circulation.
Player: Okay I want to break the bandit's arm with a submission hold
GM: There are no rules for submission holds or limb breaking
Player: Can I at least attack his finger or arm to disable it?
GM: There aren't any rules for hit locations or limb damage
Player: Can I blind the bandit by attacking or gouging his eyes?
GM: Uhhh, I think you need a feat for that and honestly it's a pretty weak option overall
Player: Can I take the bandit's weapon away?
GM: Yes, but your warrior has almost no chance to succeed and the bandit gets a free attack against him. It's a really bad idea unless your entire character is dedicated to the idea of taking weapons. Even then it's pretty underwhelming.
Player: What about breaking the bandit's weapon?
GM: It's the same story except I'll have to look up rules, and even if you succeed he'll pull out his dagger anyway and you'll just be destroying your own loot so you're worse off in the long run.
Player: Okay, how about doing something clever like tying him up in ropes or a net
GM: You have almost no chance to succeed and he'll immediately cut his way out of it even if you do succeed
Player: Can I talk to the bandit or scare him into surrendering?
GM: There aren't any rules for that, and even if there were I wouldn't award you any experience for non-violently resolving a fight.
Player: Can I hide or run away from the bandit?
GM: It has almost no chance to succeed.
Player: So what CAN I do?
GM: Anything you want! It's a roleplaying game!

Disclaimer: This mostly applies to dnd. There are better games that include rules for these things. One that surprised me was ORE, having special, less-complicated rules for choking and garroting people, as well as hit location damage tracks and guidelines for other dirty tricks.

I find myself unusually triggered by your post, and am incapable of a coherent response. 12/10.

Who are you quoting, dude?
Or are you just talking because you need to start a conversation and you don't have any friends?