Nasuverse Thread. For discussing how Type-Moon's pet universe can be adapted to the Tabletop realm

Nasuverse Thread. For discussing how Type-Moon's pet universe can be adapted to the Tabletop realm.

A continuation of with a few extra questions.

What are some swanky ideas for Mage families and their craft?

Fate/Zero showed that battles between Masters during a HGW can be interesting in their own right, and this kind of stuff would be vital for a campaign.

Also, what do you think the state of the Nasuverse would be in 2104?

>Fate/Zero showed that battles between Masters during a HGW can be interesting in their own right, and this kind of stuff would be vital for a campaign.
Fate/Apocrypha is a seven-on-seven team deathmatch. Wiki says that most of Team Red will abdicate the war and give their Servants to Shirou, but there's still all the Masters on the other side to get involved in the fighting.

>Also, what do you think the state of the Nasuverse would be in 2104?
IIRC, didn't Zelretch say that we're a hundred years too early to fight ORT in Fate/Strange Fake? I'm gonna go with "probably fighting ORT".

Could there be a family style of magecraft more gross than Matou/Makiri?

*looks at the stuff that the Clinton circle is rumored to get up to IRL*

Raping, murdering, and drinking the blood of children in order to extend the magician's life, and also curry the favor of the Divine Spirit Moloch?

More gross than Crest Worms? Sure, self-mutilation to enhance the capability of the Family's mana-drawing techniques, and using blood-based magic.

How bout a Magus family that believes that the reason there were so many holy and demonic swords throughout history because the form of the weapon itself possess some connection to The Root, and thus the path there is to perfect and enhance the form of a sword?

Sword Magi, if you will.

That family would fucking love Emiya Shirou.

"Sword" is a legit element though, by that reckoning.

Go back to info wars, you conspiracy loony. Enjoy freaking out about pizzagate and chemtrails somewhere else.

He was using it as an example, not how he said "rumored." What's wrong with using conspiracies as inspiration for fictional stuff?

So about the Grail War of 2104 using Servants from 1900-1950 that was mentioned in the previous thread....

>Caster: Houdini.
An escape artist and scourge of spirit mediums in life, Caster can't abide by the magic of the holy grail war, the contradiction of his existence irritating him to no end. He reluctantly fights with his own brand of misdirection and physical enhancement magic at his Master's urging.

What would be a good stat set for him?

What is our stat spread again; Strength, Endurance, Agility, Magic, Luck, NP?

Houdini should have relatively middling magic power, but surprisingly high Agility and Endurance for a caster - he was an escape artist after all. Skills would reflect that as well.

Not sure on the name, but his NP should let him go all "Now You See Me" on his enemies. Not necessarily a Reality Marble - but the ability to burn mana to basically assemble any overly elaborate escape stage turned deathtrap in an instant.

>Not sure on the name, but his NP should let him go all "Now You See Me" on his enemies. Not necessarily a Reality Marble - but the ability to burn mana to basically assemble any overly elaborate escape stage turned deathtrap in an instant.

Hm. What's interesting is that that's similar to the base Caster Class skills.

>Territory Creation
"A Caster-class Skill. It is the Skill to build a special terrain that is advantageous to oneself as a magus, such as for the purpose of collecting mana."

>Item Construction
" A Caster-class Skill. It is the Skill to manufacture magical items, from implements of war to items for daily use. Also, this Skill requires time to gather components and manufacture items"

So would his NP be his ability to set up a deathtrap in his terrain that he can easily escape from?

Yeah, I was thinking of something like an outgrowth of those natural skills. Houdini is the greatest escape artist and one of the most famous stage magicians of all time - thus the "crystallized mystery" which represents his legend would be his most elaborate escapes, stuff like the chinese water cell or being buried alive.

Also, did some research on him - Houdini was actually a believer in the supernatural, but was jaded because all he found were frauds, and thus became a debunker. This might lend more depth to his characterization. He'd be happy to have come back after death as a spirit, but probably skeptical of the Holy Grail and its powers, and resentful of groups like the Mage Association and Church for keeping the real magic under wraps despite his attempts to find it. He also was a bit of a pilot, and thus would probably have a touch of riding skill - and is credited with the first airplane flight in australia.

So, Something like...

Caster
Strength: B
Endurance: B
Agility: B
Magical Power: C
Luck: C

Noble Phantasm
The Stage Is Set: Escape Or Death
Caster constructs a complex deathtrap in his created territory in the form of a Bounded Field, based off of the famous escapes he made during his lifetime. Once triggered, the deathtrap will be visited upon all the targets within the bounded field, and they, along with Caster should he be in the field, must escape it. Caster's Master, by nature of their contract, is immune to Escape or Death.

Nice
Repost the others will you please?

Sure.

>Rider: Red Baron
A true knight of the skies, Rider is chivalrous, honorable, and respectful to friend and foe alike. Enjoying a flight more than anything else in the world, he is also a master of aerial strategy. He engages in battle using his Fokker Triplane to outspeed and outmaneuver his enemies. He is of course, perfectly loyal to his Master.

Strength: C
Endurance: C
Agility: A
Magical Power: C
Luck: C
Noble Phantasm: A

Noble Phantasm
Ringleader Of The Flying Circus: Fokker Triplane
The triplane that Rider spent his last days fighting in,it has been enhanced by Rider's legend to become more than a mere model of plane, but an extension of Rider's own being. Rider may summon the Triplane in an instant, and both the fuel and bullets are unlimited, running off of Rider's own Magical Energy. When the true name is invoked, the attributes of it increase far beyond Rider's original parameters for a short time.

>Assassin: Gavrilo Princip
A nervous bumbler with no true combat experience, or even assassination experience, Assassin's effectiveness in the Grail War is entirely determined by his amazing luck, leading to coincidences such as encountering enemy servants when weakened or tripping when a high-level attack is aimed at him. He's not very confident in his skills, but his Master has faith in him as the killer of seventeen million.

Strength: E
Endurance: E
Agility: D
Magical Power: E
Luck: EX
Noble Phantasm: D

Noble Phantasm
The Shot Heard Round The World: With One Bullet Seventeen Million Are Killed
Assassin fires a single bullet from his FN Model 1910. Upon striking the target, a curse representing the deadly consequences of the only kill Assassin ever made in life is activated. The target's attributes are all lowered slightly, except Luck, which becomes the lowest possible rank. Until the curse is excised by high-level magic, or Assassin is killed, these effects will remain.

>Berserker: Ungern-Sternberg
Taken by Madness Enhancement, Berserker's attitude is that of a vicious, merciless tyrant. He is sometimes incomprehensible due to fits of insanity, but he is never by any means a non-threat. His status as a Berserker has raised his stats and given him an advantage in physical attributes over the other servants. However, while he is not completely mindless, Madness Enhancement has robbed him of caution and strategy, requiring his Master to keep a close eye on his actions.

>Lancer: Winston Churchill
A commander of great renown and charisma, Lancer is no less at home on the battlefield. He possesses great tactical knowledge and employs it considerably in the Grail War. Due to his penchant for speechcraft, his Master's confidence never wavers, and is able to boost his own abilities via convincing himself of his own determination.

>Archer: White Death
A sniper with an unparalleled kill count, Archer is incredibly competent at ranged battles, due to his high accuracy, concealment skills, and decent luck. Master and Servants alike are vulnerable targets when viewed down his iron sights. Despite the many deaths his legend is built with, he's an incredibly friendly fellow who sees his participation in the grail war as merely his duty, and his Master as a valued comrade.

>Saber: Charles Hornby
A servant formed from representing the spirit of the British army, Saber represents many beginnings and endings. Striking swiftly with intense speed, Saber excels at both the opening charge and the finishing blow. Due to the nature of her riding ability fighting upon vehicles is also no challenge for her. The nature of her existence as a heroic spirit is slightly confusing for her, but she shrugs it off when her Master calls her to serve in her duty.

(Modified Saber's description to be the obligatory Saberface in accordance with last thread.)

Wasn't "Sword" just Shirou's element because of Avalon?

Yeah, it made both his origin and element Sword - but that still means it's conceptually possible.

>Nasuverse thread
>only discusses Fateshit
for what reason OP? Oh yeah, you're a fucking secondary, I understand now.

Go home hipster and find games for your increasingly smaller circles of audience.

>hipster
is that the best insult you could come up with? what is this, kindergarten?

Fuck, hipster is hardly even an insult anymore - it's just a statement of fact.

How dare people be interested in the most popular, highest quality and thus best described and understood works? Fictional setting elitism totally makes sense and we obviously want to create the smallest circle of discussion possible by sticking to more obscure works with shittier adaptations, right?

It's nonsense. Start your own discussion about Tsukihime or Kara No Kyokai if that's your thing. don't start picking fights with people because "you liked it before it was cool" and it's more likely people actually recognize Fate elements because it's popular and makes money.

But Tsukihime is shit, user.

lol you're just jealous its characters are beefier than Fates

Never use the TM Wiki for shit. Also, Strange/Fake does this much better.

Trust me.

A Nasuverse game should be able to run Rakkyo, Mahoyo, DDD, and Tsukihime before it can run Fate. Those stories have a wide range of abilities and quirky tricks while still being on a relatively sane power band. If you can make a system that balances Aoko Aozaki with 30% Arc with Ryougi Shiki with psycho oppai loli imouto, you can then balance Mordred with BB with Gilgilman with Dr. P.

Wanking over historical figures without designing a system for the Pokemon Trainers who love them is putting the cart before the horse.

It is literally a fact that this is a nasuverse thread but instead people are just discussing Fate, which is way more limited in scope and game potential. Why waste your time on something that has much less creativity behind it instead of something like the stuff that is discussed in Kara no Kyokai and Mahou Tsukai no Yoru (this is ignoring Tsukihime of course due to what said)

No, I'm angry the only good scene that does something interesting with the whole vampire setting is never acknowledged properly again. That, and generic vampires with extremely high power levels is a lot less interesting a concept to discuss than Japanese Celebrity Deathmatch.

Are we going to discuss mechanics or is this just a Create a Servant thread with added butthurt?

>All this KnK/Tsukihime shitflinging
But I agree, limiting it to merely HGW's is a waste of potential.

So, Veeky Forums, how would you run the masterpiece that is Prisma Illya?

Magical Burst is too edgy and so doesn't really suit the tone, so maybe just OVA?

>Japanese Celebrity Deathmatch.
That's exactly what Fate is
Everyone looks young and beautiful, with total disregard to the legends and myths they're depicting.

Stupid ass SHIT I tell ya'

The strange new ways of butchering a myth or historical figure is half the fun. It wouldn't be as interesting if characters were what you expect. It's only a problem when it comes down to saberface20

Usually I would agree with you, but Fate is just too much. It's the same shit over n' over again.

>It wouldn't be as interesting if characters were what you expect
It's not interesting when they all look the same either, user.

>get into fate expecting badass bearded Gilgamesh
>is pasty white supermodel with a low IQ

dropped

What I loved most is how it was a pizza place used in that particularly inane conspiracy theory.
Couldn't they have come up with something cooler while they were pulling shit out of their asses? Secret white house bunker? Privately owned Skyscraper fortress? I mean, come on.
I've even BEEN to that pizza place and it's pizza is so not worth noting that I actually forgot about it until that hilarious shit came out.

It doesn't have the "They're doing it in broad daylight!" outrage appeal. People would have long forgotten about it by now otherwise

>Never use the TM Wiki for shit.
Fuck, is that true? They get everything wrong?

If westerners were at the helm of FSN, it'd just be a bunch of bearded dudes realistically swinging their swords at each other while while making blunt references to their past lives, saying absolutely nothing interesting as a result.

There isn't a lot of editorial oversight on that wiki and some info is handed down second or thirdhand. You always want to hit up TMDict first, since that's firsthand translations. There's also the Complete Materials PBworks for more translation of firsthand world building material.

For Grand Order material, you might need to go to Beast's Lair or god forbid, Reddit unless you speak moon.

Primate Murder sounds like an awesome metal band name.

Thank you very much

Heh, would you look at this self hating weeaboo

I prefer the realism of western fiction to that of the unrealistic escapism of the east.

Giving the characters beards doesn't make it any more real or any less escapism. That's just a demographic thing

Luckily, westerner FSN would never be a thing because VNs don't exist out there.

I think you missed the point entirely.

What point? Realism and escapism aren't even opposites.

That's not even what he was getting at.

>all western fiction is super realistic
>all eastern fiction is escapist
fucking kill yourself. you are retarded you drooling troglodyte

He was getting at exactly what I said he was. That's what the words he wrote mean. Can you read?

weebs are getting mad

You never had a valid point. I'm saying "western fiction" isn't any more realistic or less escapism than "eastern fiction". Swinging swords instead of shooting beams of light or characters being young are questionable examples of what was said
It's basically the same as saying "Killing a dragon is only escapism if he doesn't wear a helmet". It's just nonsense

False flagging baitposter please leave

Eastern fiction is leagues more unrealistic than the west, which is far more grounded. Anime is very hyperactive. This isn't a bad thing. Not at all. Why do you think Anime is so entertaining?

you keep using that word. i don't think you know what that means.

Ummm, no. I said I just prefer the realism of the west. The east is all over the place.

The West in general produces more coherent works. But then you get certain gems like Ghibli.

>implying im falseflagging
also
>anime is all of eastern fiction
fuck off.

>the West produces more coherent works
a huge generalization that isn't even neccssiarly true.

>Ghibli

We can learn much from him.

I don't know if you aren't familiar with western fiction or eastern fiction, but to argue if that either superheroes or ninja magic is more realistic than the other is fucking retarded

It's historically true though. The west has defined literature in all its facets to a far greater degree than anywhere else.

This doesn't mean the east can't produce works rivaling it, it's just in the greater minority.

>Ghibli
Tries to do what Disney and the others do, but they're much better at it than him.

>its another user posts the shitty ANN-tier translation meme image episode

>westerners talking about eastern literature when they've literally never read any of it

No, you're right. It's how they work the frame, not the picture.

But then again, animation can rarely depict any sense.

I'd argue that Ghibli produces far finer works than Disney.

you can't define an entire culture's literature just because you spew Veeky Forums tier arguments. have you ever read mori ogai? osamu dazai? akutagawa? the tale of genji? any classic Japanese literature? no? then shut the fuck up.

Except he's not wrong. Western influence is everywhere. It's pointless to compare East and West, as its all based on personal preference.

But to say that the East rivals the West in all totality? That's a bit foolish.

>Nasuverse thread
>just Fate and bitching about Fate

Glad to see not much has changed since I got out of this stuff.

It's just Fate fags getting triggered

>muh realism where there is none

>Zerksalot pulls a stop sign out of the ground and activates Knight of Honor on it.
>Nothing happens to it because magic isn't realistic and can't turn ordinary things into powerful Noble Phantasms

>Gil pulls out his 200lb battleaxe, exactly as the legend says he used
>Immediately throws a disc because a human realistically can't use a 200lb weapon

>Iskandar swings his sword at Zerksalot and his completely normal stop sign
>It breaks upon impact because bronze weapons can't stand up to modern steel

>Kotomine tells Hundred Faced Hassan to sacrifice one of himself to make everyone think he's out of the running
>He dies because having severe DID doesn't mean that you can split into a hundred different people with wildly different body types.

Yeah, western Fate would be great. Super realistic.

Could be worse. Could be arguing about waifus.

I still can't identify what "western" story telling tradition this realistic fate is emulating

>user mentions western fiction being more "grounded"
>fate fags lose their shit

You might as well argue that God exists

stop forcing this shit into a general, jesus L christ

Fuck it, burn this thread to the ground.

What if instead of a HGW with 7 masters and 7 servants, you had one where 7 masters were fused with 7 heroic spirits.

banter, relationship between master and servant, and possible betrayals are cornerstones of grail war drama, though

How Do you feel about this for saber
Her stats are all bs and cs with class focus being the bs
But this is her NP
Home Before Christmas
Basically a passive that activates when she's in a fight at the beginning it brings her stats up to as and bs but as the fight drags on they go back down to bs and cs then ds and cs then all ds then ds and fs
Thus she's really strong I the beginning of a battle but if you can weather the initial blows she gets bogged down

I would tend to agree, but people seem really caught up on this "you can't do anything interesting with HGW idea".

because PCs are stupid and can't do drama to save their lives

It's not that you can't do anything interesting with a HGW, it's what makes an HGW (read: the story of Fate VNs/LNs) interesting is at cross purposes with what makes a standard RPG interesting or workable.

First off, the HGW is PvP by its very nature. So either the system needs to accommodate that, like Shinobigami, or it needs to contrive a reason for everyone to be on the same side, like Apocrypha.

Second, people want to play both a Servant and a Master, but that requires dealing with the fundamental imbalance of Servant and Master power. It also mean dealing with people running multiple characters at once, which is the worst hell. There are really only two ways around that: everyone plays one type of character and the other is a part of their sheet or the game runs on troupe play like Ars Magica.

Third, the actual cockfighting with legends part of Fate has a completely different set of assumptions than the weirdo wizards doing urban fantasy shit part of Fate and the normie with random supernatural power stumbles into the occult part of Fate. This is a matter of tiering characters, like UA's Street/Global/Cosmic or D&D 4e's Heroic/Paragon/Epic. Depending on where you stand, a HGW can hit one or all of those tiers.

At the end of the day, the simplest thing to do would be to make a F/GO RPG. In order to pull people into Gacha Hell, Desire Works wrestled with these problems and found a workable solution. It is a standard as fuck RPG setup, but everyone is a Servant. The second simplest would be to run an "Everything but the HGW" Nasuverse game in whatever you use for urban fantasy gaming. Unknown Armies 3e is surprisingly fitting, if you replace Adept magic with homegrown magus bloodlines/styles. Avatar channels are attempts to reach the Root.

So, since Sabers tend towards good stats,

Saber
Strength B
Endurance B
Agility B
Magic Power B
Luck C
Noble Phantasm B

Noble Phantasm
Home Before Christmas: Dousing The Lamps
Saber may activate this Noble Phantasm upon her first attack of a battle, granting that single strike effectiveness beyond A rank. Saber's parameters will also be increased beyond her normal limits. This Noble Phantasm lasts only for a short while in combat, however. Once it wears off, Saber's fatigue will slowly be increased to the point where she cannot raise her sword. Dousing The Lamps may be used twice in a battle, though the intense amounts of magical energy consumed while doing so will render Saber unconcious.

>hit twice really hard
>literally faint
What a shitty Servant.

They're from the 1900's, did you expect them to measure up to Hercules and Gilgamesh?

If they aren't worth making a servant out of, don't make them a servant.

Fucking nufatefags, I swear.

I mean, Mata Hari and Phantom Of The Opera are pretty middling, even if some of that is because >Assassin - though if you roll back a century plenty of Servants are decent.

Not counting OCs, of course.

All those issues can be adressed with Monsters and Other Childish Things

The whole concept of this undertaking was a bunch of servants from the early 1950s being summoned to a future grail war.

The premise is inherently fanfiction, they key is to avoid going full autism along the way, and end up with a kind of decent "what if?"

Shitty as in boring, not just power levels. Hitting really hard and fast is not super exciting, unless the character's gimmick is being that damn good with a weapon that their NP is personal skill. See: Billy the Kid, Okita Souji, REGEND. "I hit real hard twice with a weapon" needs to be making reality it's bitch if it's going to be an NP.

Any heavily narrative system worth a damn can do it in the same way any heavily narrative system can do anything; winging it.

Go play poker dice somewhere else, Stolze.

If you think the other nasu properties are a better fit then describe and discuss them. This isn't /a/, the burden of information is on you, we didn't come to your board asking stupid questions.

Tell us why and we can work from there and get a discussion going.

>heavily narrative
Brought it up mostly because you have 1 1/2 player characters and only one of them is worth a damn in a fight during most circumstances

tsukihime > fate

reported faggot. you stop samefagging now

Oh. Well, what would you suggest?

Announcing your reports is against the rules too

Thematically sure, but the actual mechanics of Monsters don't necessarily fit (monster hit locations, skill/location names, other stuff) - you'd get better results applying the ideas to a more grounded and non-specialized ruleset like Wild Talents.

And I mean actually applying the ideas, not whatever the fuck somebody who was clearly high was thinking trying to cross those two systems over.

How very hipster of you user.

You're correct

At least Fate gets new stuff.

>not whatever the fuck somebody who was clearly high was thinking trying to cross those two systems over.
MaOCT has a whole chapter explaining how to build MaOCT characters in WT. It's ultimately just a simplified, flavored WT hack. Finding a golden mean between the two would actually be great for a Fate game

Only because other people have taken over the writing for Nasu and everyone just wants to rehash the same shit over and over but with their own epic twists. Remember when servants having more than 1 NP were considered very rare? Now if your snowflake OC doesn't have at least 3 they are shit tier.