/btg/ Battletech General!

---------------------------------
Holla Holla, got ya dolla edition

The /btg/ is dead - long live the /btg/!

Old thread: =================================

BattleTech video-game Beta gameplay
youtube.com/watch?v=rt6FatHHnzI

==================================

>BattleTech Introductory Info and PDFs
bg.battletech.com/?page_id=400

>Overview of the major factions?
bg.battletech.com/universe/great-houses/
bg.battletech.com/universe/the-clans/
bg.battletech.com/universe/other-powers/

>How do I find out which BattleMechs a faction has?
masterunitlist.info/

Unit Designing Softwares
>SSW Mech Designer
solarisskunkwerks.com/
>MegaMek Lab
megamek.info/
github.com/MegaMek

>/btg/ does a TRO:
builtforwar.blog(not spam)spot.com/

>How do I do this Against the Bot thing? (old)
pastebin.com/pE2f7TR5

2017-03-03 – (Against the Bot)
mediafire.com/file/kffatbm11ffus7l/Against_the_Bot_Instructions_v2-5.pdf

bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=56065.0
Current 3.21 rule set is included in the mekhq package

>Map of /btg/ players (WIP):
zeemaps.com/map?group=1116217&add=1

>Rookie guides
pastebin.com/HZvGKuGx

>Sarna.net - BattleTech Wiki
sarna.net/wiki/Main_Page

>Megamek - computer version of BattleTech. Play with AI or other players
megamek.info/

>BattleTech IRC
#battletech on irc.rizon.net

>PDF Folders
mediafire.com/folder/sdckg6j645z4j/Battletech
mediafire.com/folder/cj0tjpn9b3n1i/Battletech
mediafire.com/folder/tw2m414o1j9uj/Battletech_Archives

/btg/'s own image board: - (2017-07-09 - Still getting worked on & now has 13605 pics!)
bgb.booru.org/index.php

More goodies! (Rare manuals, hex packs, TROs, discord server, etc.) Last updated 2017-06-06!
pastebin.com/uFwvhVhE

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=jofNR_WkoCE
youtube.com/watch?v=rLyjZMG8Noc
youtube.com/watch?v=mxzgwJ8tSE0
youtube.com/watch?v=Z0DO0XyS8Ko
youtube.com/watch?v=IyZU_4h1L80
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Butte, Hold Haha

As you wish.

Redjack knew exactly what he was doing.

I'm honestly very disappointed by the lack of a RL-spam crud variant

Hold, Haha Butte

What's your favorite Jade Falcon:

>bloodname
>mech
>cluster

>Malthus
They're dicks, but usually entertaining dicks
>Turkina
It's a nice long-ranged assault.
>Cluster
Falcon Guards, I guess? Clans aren't really my favorite faction.

>>bloodname
Hazen, because I know the guy who has it.

>>mech
All the Dark Age totem mechs that are hilarious, with wings and claws and shit. Fucking love those and I generally allow them earlier, like Jihad-era, so we can play with them more frequently because they're sweet as fuck.

>>cluster
Nigga I don't know that shit. Also, they're all Emerald Turkeys, so it doesn't change anything.

>bloodname

Pryde, because it triggers you know who HARD.

>'mech

Stats-wise, Night Gyr is a beast. For looks the Black Lanner in its FM: CC incarnation.

>cluster

Meh. I guess the Guards because they were made only for failure and pain.

Nothing like some Itano Circus spam.

I tried using that Bane / Kraken with the 8 LRM-15s against a Hellstar a while back. The missiles just couldn't deal with CERPPC spam to the head of a mech.

>For looks the Black Lanner in its FM: CC incarnation.
amen, brother

If you think of the hip missiles as individual RL10 pods, and the fist missiles as the same, it kiiinda works. Mostly. Still, have some rawkits.

Who /seafox/ here?

WOO!

>start a new AtB campaign during the clan invasion
>roll randomly for what part of the sphere I want to end up in
>end up in the Jade Falcon invasion corridor
>burst of inspiration strikes me, rebrand my mercs as Waylon's War Pigs
>am now playing Mech scale Angry Birds

Use Snaggletooth as a logo, and blast Motorhead for your battle music for Waylon's War Pigs

Are interface cockpits compatible with LAMs?

I think so, actually

As long as they don't take up extra crit locations

What about torso mounted?

Sounds like a blast. Keep us updated, user.

Don't think so.

Here's this other one.

Well that's disappointing, I looked and the Interface cockpit does actually take up an additional slot. My hopes and dreams of a useful LAM are shattered.

Lams are boring anyway, quadvees are the real shit after all

>Lams are boring anyway
While I like quadvees, I still feel like i should fight you on principle.

Not him but, LAMs are fun because you can see the aneurysm forming in your opponent. But they fall apart the moment a locust looks at them funny.

Quadvees are fun because you challenge your local clannaboo to a fight with Zell and show up with a star of Vees that suddenly get treated like mechs. Also quadvees are omnis so you can mod them to your heart's content, which you can't with LAMs.

I've never had trouble with LAMs simply because of the longstanding tradition of custom vetoes that me and everyone I've ever played against use
I like them, they're fun and unique and add something unique to the game

>Also quadvees are omnis
No they're not, they just don't have the limitations that LAMs have.

Damn I can even see that in MWO one day, Alex could just model it straight out of from that pic and it would fit right in.

I agree, battletech has moved away from its 80s roots and that's not for the best in my opinion. But custom vetoes are definitely the way to go, especially to stop munchkins and people who try to gauss wall.

Not up to date on all of the DA rules, isn't boreas an omni though? It has all the different configs

>>Not up to date on all of the DA rules, isn't boreas an omni though? It has all the different configs
That particular Quadvee is an omni yes, but they're not automatically omni units.The other three are standard designs.

Yeah I only use the boreas because it's an omni and clannaboos don't give a shit about the weight of vee stars when bidding.

I guess I'm having a hard time with the thought process that starts with "this mech is an omni ergo all units of this type are omnis."

Well I've never actually looked at the other units so I just thought they all were since that's usually how it goes. Especially with hells horses.

This is a straight up improvement, and so are 60-70% of Alex's designs. Prove me wrong. You can't.

Are there mechs that were specifically made to support space combat/boarding besides disgusting LAMs?

You are completely correct, the only thing I have to say is that the protomech artist was specifically instructed to make the protos all mythological monsters all 24/7 and succeeded, so it's not on the artists, rather the greasy excuses for writers in the drunken gang of cocksuckers waiting for excuses era, so don't judge TOO hard

I agree, of course.

Honestly, most TROs need a rehash if we want to bring new people into the hobby. Nobody's gonna fall for funky stuff. At best people would say "yeah, that art was a product of the era, so let's not look at it".

Where do you get the blank stat sheets?

Not him, but I consider Matt's designs a reasonable compromise between old-and-rugged 80-ies and """modern"'" look, and I that's what BT design remakes in general should go for.

I especially love his spaceships. Honestly, if they made aerotech minies like those, I'd buy them.

You mean the blank Technical Readout sheets that you can fill in yourself?

The Shadow Hawk IIC-7 was built for that stuff. Snow Raven variant, go figure. Everybody else just does away with the useless mass that is arms and legs and uses ASFs or gunships.

I know of no specialized space warfare 'mech, although Mad Malvina and Jana Pryde Gundam'd it out in Bonfire, I believe - uncertain about the exact book.

Yes those.

Some of the U-config Omnis are. Mostly they just have JJs and a cargo allocation for reaction mass, sometimes with a melee weapon to attack the hull.

'Mechs in space can be a cool idea (see: Jovian Chronicles) but in BT it's a pretty shit idea.

TechManual. I think they might also be a free PDF download but fuck knows when the BT site will be on-line again.

It especially doesn't help when the art style in the TROs can change between pages.

Thank you.

SN1-C of the clan Blue Hedgehog?

HIS ARMS ARE NOT BLUE

It's a Porcupine. Probably the SP-1N-Y Norman type.

DINSDALE... DINSDALEEEEE.

Damn, now I feel old for getting this.

What's the average age of /btg/, around 45?

I'm 27, and I made the joke. Hell, I slip the joke into most of my games.

What a weird coincidence, I'm 27 as well. We should have sex.

Only if you wear the hedgehog costume and call me Dinsdale.

>around 45?
I'm hitting 30 on friday.

Enjoy, and don't forget to wrap it!

haw long has the battletech website been down.

>Nothing like some Itano Circus spam.

But there's no Itano Circus in that gif.
Itano's Circus/Macross Missile Massacre is all about the animation technique where you give animation orgasms by going all around the scene in on direction while also shifting forward and back to let people cream themselves over the animated 3D.

The missile spam itself is the uninteresting part that most shows do away with and simply use lasers (Eureka 7), or even magic (Madoka).

>Itano
Anyway, have there been any developments in the Battletech vidya or have they gone silent for now with MP and the eventual release being up in the air for undisclosed amount of time?

Closing on a week. They tried to restore from a backup, but it apparently ate itself or something, and so they're going to an older, smaller backup.

IlClan was supposed to be this year, but new linedev, new other top PTB, and it's 'being reviewed' or something from the last New Products thread before the site spoilt an otherwise impeccably choreographed rape scene by its unscheduled disappearance and persistant cries of "what's all this then?"

I meant the video game but some info on just how hard is Catalyst dropping the ball is appreciated as well.

An inner sphere freebirth Federated Commonwealth commander and nobleman was bidding in the defense of Twycross, a known shithole.

"Before this battle begins you must get on your knees and worship Victor Ian Steiner-Davion the most highly-evolved being the universe has ever known, even greater than Hanse Davion!"

At this moment a brave, trueborn, bloodnamed Jade Falcon warrior who had served 1500 tours of duty and understood the necessity of Operation REVIVAL and fully supported all military decision made by Clan Jade Falcon stood up and held up an ERPPC

"What is the battle value of this weapon?"

The arrogant commander smirked quite freebirthly and smugly replied "228 you stupid clanner"

"Neg. It is 412. If it was 228 and battle value as you say is not real... then we should play by weight now quiaff?"

The commander was visibly shaken and dropped his PPC and copy of TechManual. He catapulted out of his Hatchetman crying those spheroid crocodile tears. The same tears spheroids cry for the "lower castes"(who today in live such luxury that most own refrigerators)
when they jealously try to claw justly earned honor from the deserving trueborns. There is no doubt that at this point our commander wished he had pulled himself up a bondcord and become more than a savashri freeborn spheroid.
He wished so much that he had a clan ERPPC to shoot himself from embarrassment, but he himself had petitioned against them!

The warriors applauded and all registered bondsmen that day and accepted Clan Jade Falcon as their lord and savior. A falcon named Turkina flew into the room and perched atop the Star League flag and shed a tear on thePPC.
The Remembrance was read several times, and Kerensky himself showed up and recreated the Star League across the Inner Sphere.

The commander lost the battle and was executed the next day. He died of the surat freebirth AIDS and was tossed into the lake of fire for all eternity.[his genetic material was NOT needed]

Seyla

Post some LRM80+ mechs.

I think the Bane is the only one, user. Everything else that I can think of like the Salamander or Viking tops out at 70.

10/10 would give an elemental handy

This is what I came up with without going full superheavy territory (I think you can convievably put 120 on them). Who the hell needs backup weapons or case anyway.

Probably could fiddle with structure/armor to decrease legal tech level and year, but whatever.

>(I think you can conceivably put 120 on them).
Kraken / Bane 3 I think does 120 LRMs.

>120 LRMs

butt holde

150 LRMs.

What would Ana Fox pilot?

Now just imagining a clan trinary all equipped with these mechs and all firing at the same time and having a graphics engine trying to keep up with the missile spam... it would be glorious!

Trying to design missile boats always destroys my disbelief about how stupid battletech warfare is and "realism" starts creeping in. Why would you bother with giant robots when you could pack up your cheapest trucks with rockets and bombard them away to submission. There is a reason why actual modern battles between similarly sized forces are artillery duels and airstrikes.

I understand this, but I think one of the reasons why ranges of weapons are so short is because how many hex field map sheets can you really have on the floor of the average home? I am not sure about the weight, but I think a real life Hellfire missile is not exactly that heavy, and if it had BT's explosive power could be a real pain in the ass with the massive ranges those things had.

Because moving 7 hexes gives mechs +3 modifier, and trucks move like snails. Nanomyomers, son.

>I think one of the reasons why ranges of weapons are so short is because how many hex field map sheets can you really have on the floor of the average home?

That's not a fucking excuse though. Giving weapons unrealistically short ranges is just shit game design. Battletech wants to be a simulation game, and the point of a simulation is to be as realistic as possible. Just admit that CGL completely fucked up and continues fucking up every day that goes by where they don't fix the game to be more realistic.

If there was a table top game or even vidya like Panzer General or one of those other old strategy games with massive ranges, I think that would be cool. I don't know what a good compromise for BT is though.

We'd need smaller minis and hexes.

Yeah, that too. BT combat is ludicrously close range. Its easier bullshit it away with lasers and PPCs than with artillery units, but in the moment LRMs and Arrow IVs are in play you start wondering why cant they match the firepower and range of WW Katyushas.

The laziest shitposer.

It would make a pretty interesting project, how could you make a simulationist BattleTech game while staying true to its spirit. I'd bet all my C-bills it would end up in Saladin spam or something like that.

>Giant robots
>Realistic

Got some bad news for you, user.

Ok, I can tell you're a new player, so let me break a few things down for you.

1) This did not start with CGL. A lot of the weapons, ranges, damage values, etc. are carried over from when FASA made the product. So this isn't a CGL problem -- this has been in the game since /day 1/.
2) A lot of the rationale for short ranges has been explained.
a) The simplest answer is: you don't need a football field to play by lining out mapsheets. If all you can do is press a button to do multi-decakilometer missile strikes, what's the point of playing? That's not fun at all.
b) Other common answers have been due to active electronic warfare preventing longer-range combat from happening. Every 'mech and vehicle has some sort of EW components, though not as powerful as a dedicated unit like the Guardian or Angel. These EW components are constantly looking for and attempting to neutralize hostile signals. While the machines (and pilots) are openly savaging each other physically via weapons fire, the computers are actively trying to hack, overload, and shut down each other, causing merry hell on targeting ranges.

I'm 28. Want a third?

>Battletech wants to be a simulation game

[citation needed]

Battletech has never been about realism you dunce. Not a single bit.

Is that what the sea fox says?

>Is that what the sea fox says?

Will we ever know? Will always be a mystery ...

youtube.com/watch?v=jofNR_WkoCE

This is why we shouldn't let norwegians make music

Technically Battletech is a great simulation... of combat in the world of Battletech.
It's simulating how it's own setting works, mostly. Kinda. More times than not? Vaguely consistent with it as much as the setting's own rules are consistent. Depending on what optional rules you use...

But simulation =/= realism.

youtube.com/watch?v=rLyjZMG8Noc

Or the japs.

youtube.com/watch?v=mxzgwJ8tSE0

Or the chinks

youtube.com/watch?v=Z0DO0XyS8Ko

Or the gypsies.

It's pretty funny but, based on a comparison of the boardgame vs the novels, Battletech isn't even a good simulator of Battletech (shoulder rolls and Grey Noton ahoy!).

And the fact that there is that one explanation on how the Guardian system works in BT, it is downright scary.

What? You dare insult Norwegian music!

youtube.com/watch?v=IyZU_4h1L80

Shh, Billy. Let it go. Don't be angry.

To be fair, novel writers hardly ever even played the game they just wrote about stuff that they found interesting, sometimes breaking the rules when doing so.

For instance Stackpoling is term used when Fusion reactor goes boom in Battletech, that's because Stackpole as writer didn't know or cared how the Fusion reactors worked in universe, so everytime in his novels 'mechs reactor got hit, it went skyhigh taking the mech and everything around with it.

And his taking complete liberties with physics and canon gave us some pretty great TacOps rules.

>To be fair, novel writers hardly ever even played the game they just wrote about stuff that they found interesting, sometimes breaking the rules when doing so.

Breaking the rules with clear improvements in mind is not something I'd ever lynch anyone for.

Just like with animation, where animation comes first and realism comes second, not being tight assed about something is a good thing.

Stackpoling was never bad per say. It has no place in a MP game but it's not that Battletech ever said these reactors can't go boom. The only rationale behind it not happening is that they are fusion reactors and fusion reactors don't go boom (neither do fission reactors made in the 21st century but get that through someone's thick skull). It's a moot realism argument when we're talking about a piece of technology that was magicked in in the first place. Fission reactors don't need to go boom and we still made such that do, same thing could happen with the eventual reality of fusion reactors.

It makes for great intro movies, 40 year old kids love it, real kids love it, it gives your VFX guy something to go wild on.
They're pretty much all around a net positive. Giant robots go boom when they die for added effect, it's just what some of them do.

Current EWAR isn't terribly different from that. The most basic form of it is to simply broadcast on the same frequencies used, but at a much higher power, with nothing but noise, to overwhelm their use of radios, signal devices, etc.

Guarantee you that the military will be developing means to actively combat enemy communications as a passive means. Probably through micro directed EMPs.

HAAH WAAW

My favorite is when a writer makes up a word and keeps using it again and again and again.

>grandstanding

Requesting Archer pick of "Get down and boogie" or whatever that silly pic is.