So Veeky Forums, what comes into your head more often when you think of a martial character...

So Veeky Forums, what comes into your head more often when you think of a martial character? A heavily armored tank of a person, or a bare chested barbarian?

A Super-quick striking lightning fast guy, chaining up strikes in a fluid dance.

Is that an actual game or just a little animation?

Pretty sure it's just an animation.

Not quite either. Something in between. The quintessential fighter is I guess kinda like the Hound. Big, tough, strong, and faster than you might expect. Not a tank, but can take a lot of punishment.

It was a game under development by hopoo (deadbolt, risk of rain) but he didn't know how to make it fun and dropped it.

An armoured brawler, either a knight or a mercenary who knows their limitations and can think outside of the box.

Choice of Armor and weapon are completely dependant on the fighting style.

But in a World where Magic and Giant fuckoff monsters are running around, the most important thing is to dodge the dragons Breath/Claw and stab the wizard before he stopped uttering chants

The Hound is very fucking heavily armored though. I mean, when he's not slinging it with a woodcutting axe in his pajamas.

Damn, Risk of Rain has a really nice style. Would have loved to see a full fantasy game by them.

A professional soldier/duelist. martial is a lot more complicated than big man swings sword.

A lame, nonmagical weakling that I can take out with a single spell of my choice.

You were bullied a lot in school, weren't you

He's still being bullied even today.

I think of knights, usually. It varies depending on how solid my concept of their personality is.

Yes.

Someone who isn't smart enough to play a full spellcaster. Which is forgivable if they're totally new to RPGs, but completely inexcusable if they've been through a single campaign or have ever played an RPG video game or have ever read the internet.

There's no excuse for a knowledgeable player wasting everyone else's time by playing a martial.

What's inexcusable is how fucking torn open your butthole is.

Or maybe they've learned to not play D&D.

You're assuming that 3rd edition dnd and its derivatives encompass all of roleplaying.

It's not like any other games are at all important.

For all practical purposes, they do. Otherwise we wouldn't constantly be getting 3.5-inspired caster supremacy/martial inferiority threads a decade after 3.5 became a dead game.

>my game of choice is most famous, therefor better and more relevant than anything else.

I thought I told you to put up a trip, you defeatist dog.