So I've noticed that over the past few years...

So I've noticed that over the past few years, most card games that come out have you taking on the role as some sort of mage (or function as a mage in general function).
>Yu-Gi-Oh has you summoning monsters, laying traps, and casting magic at your opponent.
>Pokemon has you fighting magical creatures with other magical creatures that you've basically forced into servitude.
>Mage War is a game where you construct a deck that follows a unique theme based off of different flavors of casters.
>Magic the Gathering: 'Nuff said
But the one thing I always wondered is, how come there have never been a card game where the players are martials utilizing different weapons, stances, and techniques in order to take out their opponents.

I mean, I keep hearing about how martials have all sorts of unique abilities but if that were true, why hasn't there been a TCG with the amount of strategy, depth, and complexity as a card game based off of being a caster in some flavor or another?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=bMO9U00pZ3k
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

What do you mean by 'martials'?

Hearthstone.

>But the one thing I always wondered is, how come there have never been a card game where the players are martials utilizing different weapons, stances, and techniques in order to take out their opponents.

That vampire card game based off WoD was pretty wizardish at times, but most of the cards were about social combat, vampire abilities or just straight up bashing someone into bloody pulp with vampiric strength.

Dude who hits other dudes in the face to cause damage.

>>Pokemon has you fighting magical creatures with other magical creatures that you've basically forced into servitude.
Alright, despite pokemon being fantasy. If you think a pokemon trainer a "Wizard"
Then I hesitate to mention Kung-Fu or lunch money. You might think jumping really high or pulling switch blade as some kind of spell.

>Warcraft TCG (not hearthstone), You play as the commander of a force.
>Chaotix play a tribe leader
>Way back when the failed Blood Wars you played as a politician.

>Thinly veiled "wizards should always be better than martials" thread
Pretty cool
Also, the class based CCGs like Hearthstone and Shadowverse have archetypes based on warriors using a variety of weapons, soldiers, and tactics.

>If you think a pokemon trainer a "Wizard"
read >or function as a mage in general function

I'm not saying that trainers are wizards per se, just that in the technical definition of the term, they would act similarly to how summoners work in other games.

>or function as a mage in general function
Yeah I did.

That's fucking stupid. Pokemon are just fighting animals obedient to their owner, not mystical creatures conjured by a summoner. By your logic, a martial could be justified as a mage who channels kinetic energy through sharp, metal casting focuses.

What's the difference between beating a demon into submission and enthralling it using its true name and beating up a Mewtwo until it's weak enough to seal inside of an ultra ball?

>they would act similarly to how summoners work in other games.
To me pokemon work like how a huntmasters can just command his animals to do something. Kill that game, attack that animal, pickup my kill. Or just simply Cockfighting. We have sonic shooting shrimp, acid spitting snakes, and electric stingrays. Conan also had the inaccurate-to-reality meter turned up without being a wizard. Pokemon is just the same with animals.
>Muscle Wizard

Isn't that the entire point of Yomi?

Well, the fact that a mage is using magic to control a magical being in one instance, and the other is an ordinary child taming a non-magical creature through non-magical means. Do you call yourself a sorceror when you train your dog to fetch?

Practically everything?

I mean in the game Mewtwo just sat in the ball happy to do you next command, sure. For game mechanics. In story he either busts out or is disobedient and tries to escape- in the fictions where pokeballs even work on him.

Same way that in games true names are wibbly wobbly not in any official rules. (3.5 Truenamer doesn't count and it didn't work so point still stands.) They are something you can do in story and in lore, but not actually something you can do in game.

>>Magic the Gathering: 'Nuff said
Is this a bad time to tell you that when MtG was still getting on it's feat that you weren't considered a planeswalker? Pre alliances I think? You were just some guy in charge of a force and called in favors for legendary. In fact the legends set tired to set up that you were a retired adventurer (of any class) that was calling in favors. No one cared for it and they went back to planewalking but it's still there, and still fits.
>I think they tired again in weather-light? Could be wrong.

>ygo
>pokemon
>mtg
>mage war
>last few years
U wot m8.

>most card games
>just like magic

Fuck you lol

What are you talking about? UFS and VS are fighting games as card games. L5R has you as a commander buying units with gold and managing political standing. Pretty sure Weiss involves putting on a stage show. And to get even more weeb, Aquarian Age had you as the mind controller of magical characters, all the resources and spells being cast by them.

Also this. What is recent to you?

Because that doesn't sound as fun, basically.

After a few hundred cards named some synonym of "sword slash" or "hammer bash", it's going to get a little dull.

Whereas with summoning, you've got much more to work with.

People like to use that picture to mock YGO and Uno, but I bet they didn't have a PS1.
youtube.com/watch?v=bMO9U00pZ3k

I don't completely agree with that. If you named every Magic and YGO monster as blandly you'd have a billion Elf, Sword Elf, Dragon, Spiked Dragon, and Knight Dude cards. Magic has a thousand variants of lightning that all do the same thing and are artistically rendered the same way, separated by small details. Not every Magic card is
>Counterspell
>Counter target spell.
and I don't think every card depicting an attack, stance, maneuver, or style would have to be bland either.

UFS has a small but dedicated crowd on Facebook, I joined it some time again when my LGS used to stock it, but that shop went out of business about 2 years ago and its competitor didn't think much of it.