Dear Veeky Forums

It appears that Neil Bloomkamp is interested in 40k and he wants to learn everything about 40k lore and setting due to requests

>twitter.com/NeillBlomkamp/status/884813189874974720

Other urls found in this thread:

google.com.sg/amp/s/www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/02/08/necromunda-underhive-wars-details/amp/
youtube.com/watch?v=VjQ2t_yNHQs
youtu.be/jkj8KmxYpkQ
ianwatson.info/plumbing-stanley-kubrick/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Well fuck, I'd love to see a Neil Bloomkamp 40k movie.

Just tweet him John Blanche pictures over and over and over.

I'd watch the shit outta that

who?

After Elysium I think he's proved he can do gritty tech like 40k stuff, I'd love to see him do a film about hive gangs, his films seem to be more about the 'everyday' person rather than a super hero like marines or even guardsmen.

How is he going to fit an allegory for South Africa with all the subtlety of a sledgehammer to the knees into it though?

chappie had no niggers

Film director, you might know him from District Nine? I think that's his most well known film at least. Go watch it when you've got time to kill, it's pretty good.

Director for District 9, Elysium, and Chappie.

>I fink Chaos freaky and I like it a lot

please seHive cities. Just replace blacks and whites with Lower and Upper hive residents.

I actually think it's pretty great that Neil Blomkamp was expected to be like this Russell Crowe guy but actually he's increasingly just focused in on the genre movie he started with.

It's like how Michael Bay got involved with the Transformers movies and then just... kept making Transformers movies, for some reason.

>district 9
He is absolutely based then, I went to the cinema to see that film, it was glorious.

But he doesn't do war movies, only guerrillas and insurgences.

Die Antwoord was in it.

The aesthetics are right. Hopefully he doesn't write it.

Necromunda: The movie

His Oats project is ongoing. Rakka and Firebase would fit into 40k easily.

>for some reason
That reason is money user. Michael Bay was a decent film maker before Transformers. But then he realised he could make millions by doing the equivalent of shitting on a canvas over and over again.
If you were him, what would you do? Hard, painful, long and slow way, or the cheap, easy, bad but makibg millions way?

GW being GW, they will make this super awesome jizz in pantstastic 40k movie only to Age of Girlyman Electric Boogaloo part II the setting just as the movie comes out.

rakka is pretty much post DAOT human world

> Only guerrillas and insurgencies

Then set it in a hive during a massive chaos rebellion w/ fighting on the streets between Arbites, PDF, private noble armies, Cultists, Mutants, Gangers, and normal bluecollar hivers who just got caught out on the wrong day.

>Necromunda
>Die Antwoord as Hive gangers
>get drafted into the pdf
Fund it

So I want to say this is wrong, and I mean that in that it might have been true initially but no longer is.

There are definitely similarities between Michael Bay pre-Transformers and Michael Bay post-(well, during-)Transformers in his approach. How characters act in Armageddon and how they act in Transformers are pretty similar. He seems to treat a detailed script with complete derision. He needs actors to be charismatic and have a kind of bonhomie with each other. I don't see the before and after as different as you do: he made plenty money before Transformers, he could make plenty now without it. He made easy thrill films before, he would likely make them now were he to quit.

But like, Michael Bay's Transformers movies are weird man. They're both really influential on a certain kind of action movie (which was super super popular a few years back) and also like hyper-distortions of that kind of split second cut maximum chaos action scripting. His characterizations of the robots (who he understands are the main characters, which it seems like the scriptwriting room doesn't) become sort of insane.

I can believe he signed up to the series for money purposes I guess but I don't think it's about that now. He even says he wants to finish it all himself, with only him directing. I don't think they even do THAT well at the box office anymore.

>yfw you might see 40K go mainstream in movies in your lifetime

Is this real life?

Nah senpai, just fantasy

I want to see this

Wel at least we're getting a Necromunda vidya fairly soon.

GODDAMMINT BLOMKAMP WHERE THE FUCK IS MY HALO MOVIE

??? We are ???

I'd pay top dollar to see him adapt the 40k universe.

It'd be about an everyday joe, who finds out his child is a psyker. Rather than give it to the black ships, he tries to maintain a semblance of normalcy, until things start getting... warpy.

Gone along with my hopes that Halo 6 would be good

On second thoughts yeah, I dont even want 343 to try and make a movie now... they would only make things worse.

Daily reminder that 343 killed off Rookie in a shitty book about Buck becoming a Spartan 4

Firebase is basically Chaos shit

google.com.sg/amp/s/www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/02/08/necromunda-underhive-wars-details/amp/

By the guys who dod Mordheim, it should be at least decent if not good.

I mean the story of 5 is meh, but at least the MP is good. Problem for 343 is, people have gotten old now, thr olayers of the first Halo don't want to play online anymore, they want the story, and that's where they're lacking.

plz god no.
>oi foook you, you foookin spess mreen
>the xenos iz bein repressed
>why can't we all git along, eh??
>Tyranids dindu nuffin

on second thought, it could be a good example of the subversive effects of Genestealer cults.

If a 40k movie was going to be done, it'd be a Horus Heresy series.

>“In our concept piece, the main thing that’s featured is a skull crusher. It grinds skulls, in the mouth of another, larger skull. Skulls are important.”

I like it already

made me see the light. He needs to depict a band of people in the face of a full Tyranid Invasion. He can do the ragtag survival and the alieness right, and also use a lower budget unlike most of Hollywood. At least some of them may be Catachans for the broad public appeal of Rambos X Aliens.

It ends with a small group of lucky folks left barely alive while the Biotitans emerge from their cocoons. But then, it is smashed by a drop pod straight into its spine. The Space Marines appear to blow things apart.

See more in the sequel, which gets full budget and glorious bolter explosions if the first movie is lucrative. And possibly Michael Bay, but that might be good for a WH40K movie.

youtube.com/watch?v=VjQ2t_yNHQs

Easy, make the movie about a Chaos protagonist.

Pretty Grimdark
I like it.
Could work in 40k

No, don't do it. I looooved district 9 but making 40k mainstream, especially with US audiences, is a surefore route to failure. The producers know the intentionally horrific yet entertaining vibe won't sell (especially in the bright age of superhero flicks), and that leaves a whitewashing of 40k, which I really don't want for any purpose.

Don't take this as a "too mainstream hipster" shit, I just really don't want 40k to lose any of the greatness it has. And let's face it, if a million kids come screaming to GW, parent's wallets in hand, about new superhero Marines, GW will sell. And they'll scrap as much lore as they need to make it serviceable.

Hmm... Y'know, yeah, I could see that working with my ideal 40K fantasy movie.

But yeah, what he said. I'm comfortable with 40K being settled in the little niche it's made for itself.

Reposting here
>I want a 40k movie!

Fuck that, just have a good 3D animation studio do something, but Fuck a full fledged Hollywood film, it'd be nothing but garbage. Hell, even The Lord Inquistor fan film despite being so well done was dragged down by its shitty DONTE DA DEMON KILLA protagonist who was edgy and annoying as Fuck for an Inquistor

Technically, we only saw the Prologue.

But it seems stuff happened, Erasmus said he needed to explain about...something.

>Michael Bay was a decent film maker before Transformers

HAAAAAAAA HAAAAAAAAAAA HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

The biggest problem with that guy in The Lord Inquistor was that he looked far too young to be one. Not only that but he was being edgy as hell when reading his charges and finally we aren't shown any reason to believe that the old guy he kills is a heretic or what exactly he's guilty of doing. It's pretty much him getting murdered but we don't know why. I expect that kind of stuff in 40k yes but we aren't shown anything that makes us believe that the old guy is a fucker

His previous movies may have been bad, but at least they were actually movies, and you could possibly be entertained by them.

I mean if you can't have a good time laughing while watching Armageddon, then I pity you for losing your joy for life.

We already have a thread up for this.

>they killed off a character with no name, no personality, and no lines
How dare they? Those bastards!

It just got pruned cause /pol/

I mean the Island wasn't too terrible, was it?

You shut your mouth user, The Rock is a treasure of a film.

If he does Love Can Bloom, it'll be fine. If he does literally anything else, it'll be so divergent from the lore as to be a different franchise entirely.

Maybe he could do some 8th Edition stuff, since the Imperium seems to be getting cozy with the Eldar, but 8e requires a shit ton of back story and foreknowledge to be worth anything.

Love can Bloom already has its movie though.
youtu.be/jkj8KmxYpkQ

>It got pruned because of /reddit/
ftfy

Live action and with a budget of >shoestring.

"What are the charges, Lord Inquisitor?"
"He's a dirty old fucker, isn't he?"

Sounds like worthy of death penalty to me.

You're kinda right, considering the new Guillraine shit.

And since 40k's fluff is getting a new flavor, I doubt GW would license a movie with old grimderp one.

Pretty sure they would.

As ADB explained on B&C, the IP guys are always more at ease with the easy option, it being something about the Big 3 (UM, BA, SW). It's standard, can be recommended to anyone, and is accessible.
Of course other stuff sells, but it's like Michael Bay and the Transformers. Why do something risky and complicated when you can do something easy that is almost certain to sell well?

I can definitely see them green lighting a very generic 40k movie/animated movie, if they can use it as a general media. So simple grimdark stuff, no need for deep intrigues, and no need for romance and whatnots

Well, you could always get Uwe Boll.

I can castrate myself with an ice cream scoop whenever I want, too, but you don't see me bragging about it.

Hue.

Only if he agrees to do it in the style he made Postal with.

District 9 and Elysium sucked imho.
Am I the only one with these opinions?

Plot was mediocre but the tech shit was cool.

>I don't think they even do THAT well at the box office anymore.
Not domestically, but they're big in China and lots of other places where the deficiencies in the script are less noticeable thanks to needing translation, while "giant robots hitting each other" translates just fine.

He also apparently has a blast directing them, and gets on well with the crew - it's how he consistently gets top-tier actors, despite the films being pretty beneath the likes of Anthony Hopkins and what have you.

Honestly who cares. We missed the chance to see Kubrick directing a 40k film with Ian Watson as the writer anyways:

ianwatson.info/plumbing-stanley-kubrick/

I think District 9 was okay, but Chappie and Elysium were awful

It's basically a dumb fun paycheck project. You show up, hang out with your friends, put in some work, get paid... good gig.

Unless you're a transformers fan.

>Kubrick
Even the Imperium works faster than him. Granted, it would have been a masterpiece, but it would have also been weird as fuck, even for 40k fans.

A BIG BLACK XENO COCK breeds white imperil women!!!

Practical effects only. The thought of having another warcraft type movie make me want to gouge my eyes out

I don't know, I thought it was well done. As in, the CGIs were impressive to me.
Sure the story is wonky, it doesn't fit the lore, and some parts are stupid, like Lothar loosing his shoes, him fucking Garona after asking to be hit, or the footmen zerg rushing with their boomsticks, but it was enjoyable.

>bad boys 1 and 2 are bad.

>I just really don't want 40k to lose any of the greatness it has

I think games workshop has done more to destroy that recently for exactly the reason you say of appealing to the mass audience who wouldn't understand the
a nuanced ironies of the setting, than anybody else would.

Send it to him them.

But we're moving into a darker age now. Films always reflect the times, and the popular culture considers this to be a dark time (Look at the Handmaid's tale for one example of that.) Trump's election seems to have ushered in this idea that we're now in a particularly bleak period, and regardless of whether you believe that or not it seems to be the public vision of the word today. I honestly think this is the only time in recent history that a 40k Movie could work. The grimdark air of the world today would help sell 40k.

It's less Trump and more the decade long war with religious extremists, rising financial inequality, mass shootings, government corruption, ongoing civil wars, political instability in Africa, natural disasters, the resurgence of Russian aggression, etc...

I mean, Trumps a part of it, but he's a symptom of the times, not an emblem of them. People are desperately trying to go back to the last time they felt secure and prosperous - the 80's. So they elected the 80's personified.

>An Uwe Boll movie about orks doing ork stuff

Fund it

Also, a Handmaids Tale was written in 1985. The reason it's popping up today in 2017 is because - again, people are trying to resurrect the 80's. To which the left is going "holy shit no fuck the 80's that was the era of soccer moms and blowhard christian fundamentalism and Reagan" so they're flipping the FUCK out - over shit Donald Trump ironically doesn't even represent, they just attach to him by proxy. Because 80's.

Like, for all that I hate Donald Trump and think he's a living toxic disaster area - when has he ever said he hates any kind of minority or homosexuals or anyone/thing in the LGBT community? This is associated with him because of his heavy support in the Alt Right, but he literally doesn't give a shit. Donald Trump is a businessman and a politician, he'll like anyone who gives him money and votes. And the religious right, Trump? Really? Donald Trump is a christian conservative? HOW many times has this man been married, to HOW many european supermodels? Donald Trump is as much a conservative christian as Gordon Gecko.

For that matter, why consider Donald Trump as against women? Donald Trump doesn't have anything against women. Oh, he's a meatheaded fratboy yeah, but thats soft sexism. He doesn't think women are incapable or inferior, he just likes to think of them as titty objects. Cause he likes titties. He's a chad, a chauvinist, but not a misogynist.

This.
We have that thing in France where the 30 years after WW2 is called the Glorious 30. After that, we started talking about the 10 shitty (loosely translated) then the 20-30, until we realised we'd never go back to those times. We just take crisis after crisis and tend to forget about it. We never really recovered from the 2008. We just moved on.

We've stopped properly growing decades ago. We're just delaying the inevitable big crisis right now, unless we manage to (somehow) find a system that works better and makes everyone happier. I doubt we will though.

What happened in 2008? I'm curious, cause France skated real close to voting in it's own Nu-Right candidate before it got what appears to be French Obama

>Chad
I wouldn't go that far mate.

Interestingly, the rest of what you said is probably true. I don't think he's a bad guy per se, he's just...not qualified let's say.
In the same way, I remember an interview with Putin said something about homosexuals. Apparently he doesn't give a shit either. He argued that he has homos in his government, and probably has some in his family too. But to him, thr Russians don't like homos, so he abides by the people's will. For better or worse is up to anyone's opinion.
Then again maybe I'm wrong and imagining stuff and that interview, it's been ages, wayyyy before Trump or Chechnya.

Muh chaos dindu nuffin Horus was a good boy he trynna go tah college need mo money fo dem conquests

This is probably the best summary of Trump I have seen on Veeky Forums.

The crisis. 2007-2008. Being not in the US, it didn't hit us as fast.

I don't know about the new president. I mean I voted for him, and out of conviction, but I just hope his reforms won't fuck the little ones too hard. I might be a filthy capitalist, I still don't like hearing about people losing their jobs and/or homes.
But he's pro European and that's a big point for me. God kows we need to cooperate some more, on so many issues, immigration being one of the first. We missed such an opportunity a few days ago by not agreeing to help Italy. We could have sent the migrants back if we worked together. Instead, fuck all happened.

>Bloomkamp
>mainstream in movies
Nah, DoA like all other SJW-movies

I'd really like to see Bloomkamp's take on Eldar tech. Would be pretty fucking nifty.

>And they'll scrap as much lore as they need to make it serviceable.

Which they have been doing for longer than you've been alive, I'd warrant. They don't hold their fluff as sacrosanct and never have.

>Rakka
>suicide bombing is good

Putin is an ex-KGB agent and an opportunist. He'll use anyone he can as an enemy for the people to build a popular support base. Those meme's about him, which if you look back a few years, are strikingly similar to the meme's we had about trump being the God Emperor, were no mistake. Putin sets himself up as the great patriotic defender of Russia. But... defender from what?

Increasingly, the answer is "Homosexuals, Arabs, and The United States". Putin wants to bring back the days when it was Russia and China against the world. Hilariously, he recently put together a commission to protect Russian elections from outside interference - specifically citing the United States and economic sanctions from NATO and the UN as what they consider interference.

All with a straight face. Putin is a glorious bastard.

Oh you mean the recession. Yeah it's easy to forget that affected countries besides the US, over here we tend to think of it as a problem with us and our banks.

To be fair to the anti EU/Brexit crowd, the EU as it is now is kind of a fucking mess, and favors Germany HEAVILY. Merkel and the Krauts aren't as blameless as they like to put on, as they've been getting fat for years while the rest of the Union has had to put in. The way the laws are written favor them, and it's no coincidence the G20 was hosted there recently as well. Here in the west we also tend to think of Germany as this enlightened liberal exemplar of whats possible with globalist liberal capitalism, and yet we discover they JUST NOW voted to allow same sex marriage - an act that was opposed and delayed as long as humanly possible by Merkel herself, because she is what would be considered a Christian Conservative in the United States

I love Blomkamp to death, but I don't think he's a good fit for 40k. His style leans more towards "hard" sci-fi, with very precise technical style and a "not so future" aesthetic. It's futuristic, but you can clearly see the modern lines underneath it. That style doesn't really work with 40k.

But among the active directors right now, I'd say he's one of the better choices to do anything 40k related.

Your best bet plot wise is to keep things as simple as possible though. If you want a more war based movie: Guard, Orks, and Marines. If you want something more world-building, then Inquisition, Eldar, and Chaos. I'd leave Tau, Necrons, and Tyranids out of it at the start. Either way, you have to keep the story tight and focused and not let it set up dozens of other plots.

As an American living in Germany it's a very gilded country. Everything looks nice and pretty and they do very well to keep up appearances, but there are a lot of problems underneath that are just stewing.

Nevermind that most Bavaria still has their uniforms hiding in a back closet.

>Nevermind that most Bavaria still has their uniforms hiding in a back closet.

Now do you mean the one's from the 20's, or the 40's

Cause I could buy the 20's, but with Germany's almost HYSTERICAL approach to anything involving the You Know Whats? Not the 40's

Yeah, all that makes sense.

Putin is a devioud cunt when he wants to.

Obviously the EU isn't perfect, far from it. And Germany did benefit from it wayyy more than others. Fortunately, more and more people are getting critical of what we call the "German model", notably because it has aggravated poverty in the general population.

Don't know how she opposed it, but at the very least, Merkel accepted the vote without complaining, and it was over in a week. Obviously it's an election thing, but hey, at least she accepted it even though she's against it, thats democratic.
Anyhoo, let's not derail the thread further.

For the hell of it, I would argue that Snyder could make a bitching 40k Space Marine movie, at least for the fight scenes.
Gareth Edwards would be perfect for his ability to properly show gigantic stuff, see Rogue One and Godzilla.
And after watching Sicario, I'd say Villeneuve can definitely pull off a bleak/grimdark movie pretty fucking well.

They're not niggers, just white trash.

>Everything looks nice and pretty and they do very well to keep up appearances, but there are a lot of problems underneath that are just stewing.
Apart from the obvious immigration problem, what else?

>Nevermind that most Bavaria still has their uniforms hiding in a back closet.
Hahahaha for real?

You don't know what that word means, do you?