Wizards = Intelligence

>Wizards = Intelligence
>Clerics = Wisdom
>Sorcerers = Charisma

How would a caster tradition look like which use phyiscal stats, like strength or constitution? What spells would they use? This is more about fluff/lore. Like how Wizards use int because their magic is academic.

>How would a caster tradition look like which use phyiscal stats, like strength or constitution
He would be a monk.

Literally Magic of Incarnum from 3.5

I CAST FIST

Constitution could be for some magic that's powered by the body (not soul or spirit) of the caster, especially blood magic. Strength-based casting is trickier imo, I've never seen it done where it didn't feel like they were just reaching for some explanation.

Dexterous casters could use their nimble fingers (and incredible amounts of study) to interact with the semi-literal fabric of reality.

Veeky Forums

/thread

I feel like physical-stat spellcasters would be a lot more gishier and based on using self-buffing stats.

I've never read Flex Mentallo but he's a dude who's so strong flexing his muscles can disarm a bomb, and he gets a 'strongest man on the beach' halo above his head.

Constitution might be magic pact-type deal. You seal something inside of you like a dragon spirit, small demon, or elemental, and focus your need puns bodily energy to cast spells.
Also a ki-user or Monk.
Dexterity could be an arcane type caster that draws runes and transmutation circles and such on the fly. Rather than using intelligence to will to bend nature and conjure a fireball, the dexterity mage has a wand or other instrument that is hard-wired to cast magic when motioned a certain way, or when combining certain runes. Casting the fireball is easy. Casting it in such a way that it strikes right between the enemy's armor is another.
Strength... I'd defer back to the monk archetype if you really wanted a "caster" for each stat.

>and focus your need puns bodily energy
phoneposting problems?

maybe strength-casting could be physically forcing mana into certain shapes, or perhaps breaking magical seals

Oh yeah. That definitely should have been "new found bodily energy", though I guess there's nothing stopping an endurance caster sealing a jester spirit/god inside them.

Or a fighting game character. Not to fall back on the awesomeness of Muscle Wizard, but Ken from SF or Kyo from KoF are basically strength wizards, throwing magic fire based on how jacked they are.

I could see STR and/or dex being related to some kind of rune magic. if there exist symbols than have magic in and of themselves (as opposed to runes generated by the casting of magic i.e. explosive runes) then having the dexterity to transcribe these symbols of power exactly would result in a magical effect. alternatively, if a rune must be carved, stamped or otherwise be permanently embossed on reality it would take individuals of great physical strength to do so.

it's called being a muscle wizard you cunts

Constitution: A mage that draws on their own life force to cast spells, and as they cast spells, they begin to rapidly age or wither and die. The effect goes away with time or whatever, but they need to be strong enough to weather the short-term effects.

Strength: Some sort of Dragon Ball Z like "fighting energy" or "power level". Working out is like a form of meditation to them. They cast magic through a mystical form of martial arts. Like punching someone so hard they turn into a duck.

Dexterity: Sort of like a thief, but they can see the strands of fate, like a second sight. They are so nimble that, on a metaphysical plane, they can duck and weave through the strands until they find the ones they want.

This.

Aesthetic casters who focus more on perfecting a very small pool of simple but versatile spells instead of a wide range of spells with different specific effects. Something akin to the element-bending of avatar comes to mind, with the addition of maybe some self-buffing abilities.

>Dex based casters
I have no idea. I can't picture this at all.

This is where you bump into a major flaw with these games- the classical attributes don't actually make a whole lot of sense in a lot of situations. In reality most of them are associated concepts or are more aspects of health or experience/training/studying. Lets face it- mental ability scores exist primarily to be "MAGIC" meters for characters, with the other aspects of those scores being hamfistedly slapped around to give them flavor.

Magic of headaches 3.5

Underrated

Are we trying to solve the martial vs caster problem by mixing them? I'm interested.

Try 4e

What confused you about Incarnum?

>Dragon Age garbage
Yes hello, this Veeky Forums customer support, have you considered killing yourself?

>Being this mad over Dragon Age

I'm sorry your dad touched you as a child, but that is no reason to take it out on OP

>not being eternally mad about what they did to Dragon Age

Its like you are Canadian or something.

Fuck you.
I'm Canadian, and I'm still mad.

No one cares what you think leaf.

Dex casters are Stage Magicians.

Don't you have a russian peon to felate?

I'm Canadian and never had an interest in Dragon Age.

Also,

>>/v/

Probably something akin to 5e Mystic Immortal
While int based, it is all about making your body better at beating the crap out of your foes.

Don't you have a chinese peon to worship?

Fuck of with /v/. i was talking about the Setting. I kinda liked it in the first one and then thej\y jut made it about all this Templer vs Mages shit a thinly veiled metaphor for muh fredoms vs le ebil police state.

Anyways, I've had a few ideas on STR, CON, and DEX casting:
>CON can be used to temporarily enhance physical performance, but there is usually either some sort of limit such as a cooldown, or a drawback.
>CON can be used for summoning creatures, costing you stamina in exchange for a fighter.
>DEX would involve the creation of runes and symbols, as well as creating magic scrolls. The handwriting and style changes the effects of the spell slightly.
>DEX also enhances spellcasting, but cannot cast spells on its own.
>STR can be used to draw energy from the earth into themselves. Different from CON as CON is from the inside whereas STR draws from outside sources. CON magic tends to be more intuitive and tailor made, but STR is usually stronger, but that's assuming you are strong enough to absorb the magic in the first place.

I'd almost think that physical casters would sorta line up with Benders from Avatar.
Earth style would be strength, you are forcing the magic to your will so its a lot of punching and smacking a *magic* force around (lame but the movements at least)
Air would be Dex, lots of acrobatics and stuff to twist the magic forces
Water/Fire would be Con because you are projecting your bodily energy into the magic to do your spell casting
Its kinda lame but its a start I think. You'd be using magic as a fabric or unseen material.

Yeah, that sucks.

Like the other anons already said, Monks/Martial Artists/Ki-Adepts/Whatever are pretty what you are searching for. Although one could argue that Willpower plays a big role in their skills.

Aren't they almost the opposite, a martial class whose prime stat is WIS?

I can't believe I have to repost this for the third time in a row...

>Fortiturgy is a magical art born from the synthesis of ancient yoga and acupuncture techniques. Its adepts flex specific groups of muscles in precise sequences to manipulate the natural flow of cosmic energies through their bodies. By doing so, they can make their bodies hard as iron or light as a feather, or even shoot blasts of cosmic energy from their fists. The strength of the effect depends on the precision of control a fortiturge exerts over his muscles.

>An illusionist is a stage magician who got so good at his craft that he can make his illusions real. Like an ordinary stage magician, he uses his extraordinary dexterity and sleight of hand to produce his spells, with the important difference that his are not mere tricks. However, his spells still lose their power when anyone perceptive enough notices his concealed preparations.

>Gastronomages use the latent magic energy trapped in food to power up their spells - for instance, hot chilli allows to cast a fireball. They literally prepare their spells at the beginning of each day by cooking dishes that, when consumed, allow them to cast a specific spell. A lot of the spelldishes they cook are either indigestible or outright poisonous to an average person, and a gastronomage must rigorously train his stomach by eating lots and lots of varied food before he's ready to cast his most powerful spells.

>con
Anyone else like blood mages?

>Aesthetic casters
Those are called bards, laddie.

There is plenty of inspiration to take from Eastern culture, but they would be most likely a squishy monk with increased magical powers.

One idea I have about DEX based casters is blood scribes: they cast spells by drawing magical runes with their own blood. You would need INT to memorize different runes, but you need mostly DEX to draw the complex designs without errors, especially if you're drawing them in the middle of combat and need to do it fast and flawlessly. And you would also need a bit of CON to be able to endure the blood loss.

Another idea, but about CON based casters would be a healer who specializes in transferring other peoples diseases into themselves, healing them with the cost of getting sick themselves. They can also release their own diseases into enemies. Meaning they can store several ailments into themselves by healing people, getting bit by poisonous animals or eating poisoned plants and then release all those diseases in their enemies. A higher CON means being able to store a higher number of diseases or more dangerous ones.

Not many ideas about STR based casters, though.
What about someone who can punch through reality? or he can punch so hard that he can create ripples in the weave? I don't know.