What would happen if there was peace int he 40k universe?

theoretically speaking, what would happen to space marines if humanity reached some level of peace were they could get away fwith having just an imperial guard, and the might of space marines was no longer necessary or efficient

what would happen? would the marines go rouge? would they be killed off like the thunder warriors? especially since your average marine is a battle hardened psychopath

They'd do what the Knights of old did when there was "Peace"

Festivals, tournaments, and policing the Imperium. Any chapter that'd go rogue because of a lack of enemies was never truly loyal to the Imperium in the first place.

>theoretically speaking, what would happen to space marines if humanity reached some level of peace were they could get away fwith having just an imperial guard, and the might of space marines was no longer necessary or efficient

At the start of the Beast series of novels (set 1500 years after the Heresy), the Imperium faces no serious threats and problems with gene seed mean that many believed the space marines would become obsolete and/or die off.

"Peace" is just another word for HERESY!

so what, if they are not constantly pumping out marines the gene seed becomes stagnant?

Marines would have big tournaments. Think Feast of Blades but every year and with every chapter in a system. Would be cool, like how back in the Great Crusade there were noted duelists that every Legion knew about, like Sigismund and Lucius.

No, they just get older and older. Someone can finally figure out the lifespan of a Space Marine.

this
Also al space marines are suposed to be charismatic and natural leaders, so instead of shooting the enemy they would become some sort of super human politician.

Regular Space Marines would becomes more a political figure head of the Imperium. Techmarines can spend more time at the Mechanicus, and aid them in recovering old tech, perfecting old gear, and adding stuff long lost as weapons of war get re purposed for building infrastructure.

I like these ideas. I'm trying to come up with an alternate 40k "Emps Wins" scenario that's not Warhammer High. The problem is devising a believable way for him to get there...

They suffer unfortunate "accidents", or are relegated to unimportant and demeaning positions/areas.

They would heroicly die to a man as Dante or another such marine, plants the banner of the Imperium before dying in the last battle of Unity... oh wait...

Then the Emperor would craft up a thousand legions of bureaucrats, genetically modified to be the perfect paper pushers, & fix all the retarded administrations of the Empire

That's what I here happened to some of the Fallen.

Not thst complicated really. Emps made some huge mistakes with relatively simple and intuitive corrections. If not for those mistakes then things would be peachy.

Space Marines, like the primarchs, like the thunder warriors, would be cast off like the tools they are

>Also al space marines are suposed to be charismatic and natural leaders
Have you ever read the books? Most of them tend to be awkward fucks in the affairs of humans. Only some of them have any aptitude for statesmanship.

I'm now envisioning some space marines being sent to assist with disaster relief and rescue organisations.

>nanomachines son

I, CATO SICARIUS, PRESENT TO YOU MY FISCAL BUDGET FOR ULTRAMAR FOR THE YEAR OF 40985. IT'S QUALITY AND EFFICACY IN ENSURING THE MUNICIPAL SERVICES AND THRIFTFUL SPENDING OF TAXPAYERS THRONES IS ASSURED BY I, CATO SICARIUS, MOST ARTFUL OF BUDGET SOLICITORS

i can only imagine them being in their armor still and wearing a suit over it, streching it nearly to the point of breaking
also
motherfucker i heard it in the voice of his

why cant i stop reading it in his voice

>The problem is devising a believable way for him to get there...

Emps actually told his primarchs about the warp and its dangers, and wasnt as retarded when dealing with Lorgar

Thereby only having 1 or 2 primarchs going rogue at different times. Curze would of probably been declared a rogue after the Emps had had enough of his 'purge all the things attitude' and Angron basically hated the Emps the entire time anyway. Rather than half his legions at once

Calgar's sitting there in full regalia with a human-sized cup of coffee, and every time sicarius opens his mouth he clenches his gauntlet and explodes coffee and ceramic everywhere

>battle hardened psychopath
That's like late 80s fluff.

These guys are warrior monks.
When not being warring, they monk.
Be all stoic in their monasteries etc. Practice virtues.

.00005% of Ultramar's budget is spent on new ceramic coffee cups every year

>Purging the hate box man
How can you hate such an amazing tool?

Goddamnit I can't unhear it

They'd be Jedi. Cept with less telekinesis and laser swords.

How to befreind Angron in six easy steps
1. Save Angron
2. Save his freinds
3. nuke the bitches that they where fighting
4. remove nails
5. .........
6. Profit.

I dunno patrol shipping lanes. Govern planets, and hunt for archeotech.

>would the marines go rouge?
We already have chapters like Blood Angels and Red Hunters.

40k galaxy will never see peace. Orks and Chaos are impossible to completely wipe out.

>If not for those mistakes then things would be peachy.
Well, it's not all down to Emps thanks to this smug bastid. I think I'll have Lorgar twig to what he's really about early on and then set him on fire.

OH GOD WHY IS HIS VOICE IN MY HEAD

>Angron
Emps is going to be like "oh you want to kill those slaver bastards who messed up your brain? Well here's your Legion along to help you. Mind if I take pictures?" And yeah, psycho pseudo Batman has definitely got to go, unless someone can think of a way to make him not quite so messed up.

>remove nails
Tragically, Emps can't remove the nails - they actually replace a large part of Angron's brain, according to Master of Mankind. Why the Emperor didn't make souffle out of everyone even remotely involved boggles the mind.

FURTHER MORE, I, CATO SICARIUS, GRAND DUKE OF TALASSAR, SUZERAIN OF ULTRAMAR, AND CHIEF EXECUTIVE ASSISTANT MANAGERS ASSISTANT OF HUMAN RESOURCES, DECLARE THAT HENCE FORTH ALL FRIDAYS SHALL BE KNOWN AS CASUAL FRIDAYS, WHEREUPON THE WEARING OF INFORMAL GARMENTS THAT YET DO NOT OFFEND PROFESSIONAL SENSIBILITIES SHALL BE MANDATORY, AND ALL WHO FAIL TO ADHERE TO THIS DRESS CODE SHALL ANSWER TO I, CATO SICARIUS, BEARER OF THE ETERNIUM ULTRA AND CHAMPION OF RYNNETH V, WHO DOES ADMINISTER TO THE ORDERING OF THE PAPERCLIPS AND STAPLES. GOOD DAY, AND REMEMBER THAT I, CATO SICARIUS, WILL BE WITH YOU.

>he's actually decently manly looking

>F-fuck
That just makes it even funnier when you hear that high pitched voice coming from...its the helmit.

This would happen.

I think that's a flawed premise. A higher level of peace would naturally favor the precise, surgical warfare of the space marines than the blunt hammer of the Guard.

If anything the Guard would be the one to see a rollback, with the navy and the Marines becoming the main fighting arms of the Imperium.

It can't happen in the current setting.

I get it's a theoretical question, but you're taking the one thing that makes the setting what it is out of the setting.

As for this? I think I remember reading somewhere the the Big E's plan for a post-Crusade milky way was to have the Astartes demobilize and act basically as they do now, just mostly working police actions against rebel worlds. All the while each Primarch would be given a portion of the Imperium to rule as a fief. Even if that isn't the case, it at least seems plausable, just have Logar not be a fuckin' tard and the Emperor not have galactic levels of autism and it all should work out.

impossible is a strong word. they (as in, the galaxy) have the tech to close off the warp and use warpless drives to fly around and to kill all the orcs you just have to kill them, there the problem is more logistical than technical.

but the Culture (hell, a single ship) could do it easily, so it's very far from impossible, given time the imperium might to it as well.

Paw Patrol?

I always thought space marines were intended to completely replace the imperial army/guard if Emps' plan was successful. Like, normal humans could enjoy a rather safe and easy life while sm took care of military/police operations.

What would be the 40k equivalent of jousting?

Chapter's waging large scale wargames, portions of which are also filmed and distributed to Imperial citizens?

That'd be a cool bit of lore.

That covers the Space Wolves at least.

>They'd do what the Knights of old did when there was "Peace"
Rampant banditry?

>save Angron
he didn't want to be saved, he wanted to stay and fight
>save his friends
he didn't want anyone to save them, he wanted to fight with them until the end
>nuke bitches that they ware fighting
he didn't fucking want that, he didn't want any help, he wanted to face the Highriders on with his brothers and sisters alone
>remove nails
Even the Emperor couldn't remove them

I'll fix it for you

1. See Angron
2. See him for the crazy mofo that he is
3. See that Nails cannot be removed
4. Put the rabid dog down as it should be
5. Profit (without the ... because it's that simple)

If there was peace in the 40K universe?

Well. I've a theory on how that will happen.

First, the Adeptus Mechanicus will need to adopt some borderline heretical practices in order to divorce technology away from technosorcery or technothaumaturgy, separating the culture and memetic power of the Warp from science and engineering. Meaning they'll need to explore the way Eldar make organic crystal lasers, Tau railguns and Nectron tech. Suddenly they can do Faster Than Light travel and the Imperial Navy stop being so Red Shirt. Suddenly tyrannids and even greater daemons get absolutely fucked.

Once this is done, if not the AdMechs, then some other faction will need to find a way to manufacture hexagrammic wards and perhaps even learn how to purify daemon spirits, changing daemons from chaotic cancerous and unstable insanity into benign sapient warpstuff, ideally to power devices or occupy them like Wraithbone Eldar. Now you have an undying but ultimately loyal familiar buddy.

Now you have the means to take territory away from chaos forces and can set up territory that actively warns the inhabitants or works against chaos. As benign versions of the chaos gods. Benign Khornates being more noble, calm, etc. Benign Nurglites just being more conventional nature-y spirits. Benign Tzeenchians doing crossword puzzles and playing Minecraft all day.

So now you've got technology unfucked, spirituality unfucked. Suddenly trillions of worlds are no longer warring, suffering, delirious with pain or pleasure or subject to administrative corruption. Warp travel becomes much safer because the Warp has been cultured to be a poisonous place for chaotic daemons and their gods.

All that's left is the Orcs.

And maybe the Imperium will find a way to use orcs and squigs as a source of fuel.