How do I make my D&D games less like a Monty Python skit and more like Age of Conan, Veeky Forums?

How do I make my D&D games less like a Monty Python skit and more like Age of Conan, Veeky Forums?

By playing with a group that understands the lore? Also, you might to consider what Green Ronin did with their Conan D&D books and make it so everyone, even monsters, get 2 HP max per level so everything is super deadly and serious

Encourage your party doing cool stuff and let stupid things they do slide instead of needlessly focusing on them.
I'll give you an example of what not to do - once, my character decided to bury an ally of his instead of just leaving his corpse out in the open. In order to do that, he had to carry it with him through the whole city, and literally every NPC took notice and started buggering him about that, when it would be much more dramatic to just let him go unmolested and let him bury the fucking body.

Talk to your players about what sort of tone you want. Make sure you pick one everyone can enjoy.

This. Player buy-in will obviate almost all other issues.

>make it so everyone, even monsters, get 2 HP max per level so everything is super deadly and serious
>Revolving cast of unimportant mooks who die too soon to seem heroic or develop as characters.
Did you read any Conan?

>How do I make my D&D games less like a Monty Python skit and more like Age of Conan, Veeky Forums?
Let your players know that this is a serious game, and that silly shit won't fly any better than it would in real life (and probably even worse, as real life isn't so deadly). If somebody acts ridiculous around other people, they all treat him like an idiot or maybe a dangerously insane person. Silly plans tend to fall through (because if they were good plans, we wouldn't consider them silly), and acting silly in dangerous situations will get you killed.

Also, if somebody tries to do something particularly retarded, just tell him to knock that shit off.

Switch to a system that supports rather than opposes Sword & Sorcery.

By playing something else.

By taking it seriously and not making jokes out of everything?

such as

Runequest and MYFAROG

Set your games in the Primeval Thule Campaign world by Sasquatch games studio.

Its written for 5e D&D. The campaign world is set up to be Conan'esque Sword and Sorcery. The rule changes it brings help the players make those kind of PC's and play in that style.

Ok OP, I'm interested.

What sort of ridiculous shit did your players pull off?

Is it the sort of stuff that leaves you in slack-jawed wonder, or is it just constantly stupid shit like random memeing and really, really poor, braindead decisions.

Has anyone played in this campaign world? Would be interested to here opinions.

Many of the Old School Renaissance games would fit the Conan feel much better, like Dungeon Crawl Classics for an example.

There's always a general running here, go ahead and ask there. They're pretty friendly.

>(because if they were good plans, we wouldn't consider them silly)
Clearly, you have not played with my group. The best plans always leave someone either laughing or groaning, and I love it.

Holly shit, i don't play Table Top games but this thread is fucking hilarious. I love you nerds !

This sounds awfully like the start of storytime.

Please elaborate based user.

Either this is samefag or someone who hasn't played any TTRPG's

You and would make good friends

Stop having watery tarts hand out swords

If some dude started walking through a crowded city with a corpse, people are going to notice sooner rather than later.

Hell, you're lucky a guard didn't show up and throw you in prison for murdering your ally or something, it's not like they'll necessarily believe you didn't kill him considering you'd have to admit to killing the people who killed him in the first place.

>MYFAROG

Heh.

Run something that isn't Dungeons and Dragons. Conan doesn't match something where the party is expected to be composed of people fairly good at something and mediocre to terrible at everything else covering eachother's weaknesses.

People post that statblock for Conan all the time, but I think that's horseshit considering what he does and thinks and how he's described. Like many protagonists, he's strong in every basic area, and should have like 20 strength, at least 16 dexterity if not more, 20 constitution, at least 14 intelligence and 14 wisdom, and at least 16 charisma.

I kinda want to try Runequest, but the rules just look really clunky and complex. Has anybody here actually run anything with it? How smooth is it in practice?

Barbarians of Lemuria might be a good fit.