An immortal guy/Eternal youth

>An immortal guy/Eternal youth.
>3000 years old and was born in greece.
>No supernatural powers. Apart from his immortality.

What strengths would he have because of his age?

Super Alzheimer

Knowledge.

Youd be like that one valiant comic character. The immortal worrior or something.

If you retain your memories, then you can master a crap ton of languages in all that time, and get a really good understanding of the way different languages evolve.

You could pretty much learn whatever skills you want. Sailing, farming, etc.

Not to mention fighting. You could spend hundreds of years perfecting and evolving different armed and unarmed combat styles.

Also if you spend a while commanding men youd eventually end up with a really good head for tactics.

And thats just skills. Not to mention amassing riches and status.

I don't know about his strengths, but he would probably be in jail for diddling little boys.

>Place he's in doesn't have capital punishment and instead imprisons him for life.

Total indiference

Does his immortality cover disease and damage or is it just biological immortality?
Because if he's just immune to aging and not getting his head cut off he'd probably develop an ever increasing fear of death or an ever growing lust for it.

I'd also think that being that old would work better with learning physical skills rather than memorizing facts. Can an immortal train themselves to have an infinite capacity to remember things?

Super social skills. Imagine centuries of experience with every little facial tell, seeing the ways different people react, learning to id which buttons are where and how to push them best.

Depends on how he lived his life really.

He would likely be stupidly knowledgeable. He lived though most of the shit we write in our history books. He would also likely have some borderline precognition tier ability at reading other human beings emotions and thought processes. Along with great instincts on how things function and what one should do in what situation.

I'd say to think Benedict from Amber to get an idea.

Human brain has about the capacity of the entire internet. The meme that it can't take a few thousand years of data is a meme.

>Human brain has about the capacity of the entire internet. The meme that it can't take a few thousand years of data is a meme.

Spoken like someone who hasn't made it out of their teens yet.

Think of old people. They aren't super social. They can barely relate to the young generations. An immortal would be so out of touch that his social skills would be almost autistic.

it takes about 10,000 hours to master a skill.

3000 years is a lot of 10k hour chunks. 290,000 of them. Minus rest and "doing things other than autisiming swordfighting and blacksmithing" would still leave you with say, a MacGuyver the likes of which no one has ever seen.

Assuming he doesn't forget how to do all those things he learnt due to lack of practice.

This.

I mean, if you haven't worked a smithy in a thousand years, you might be rusty, but it will come back.

pick a field, be it combat or tactics or philosophy

a significant portion of the greatest minds in human history within that field is this man

>Human brain has about the capacity of the entire internet. The meme that it can't take a few thousand years of data is a meme.
For starters, we don't actually know how much storage the human brain has for sure, and on top of that much of its ability to store data is entirely dependent on how much it was used during childhood years and genetics.

What we do know is that the human brain is awful at remembering things that aren't frequently in use or considered relevant to something that is. Someone who is 3000 years old would likely only remember events from their early adulthood, and even then, every time they would recall an event they're not actually remembering it, they're remembering the last time they remembered it, and every time that happens the memory becomes less accurate. After a few thousand years their memories would be so inaccurate that they would be less reliable than just looking up the events in a book.

Wouldn't he go crazy? Everyone he'd meet would be ignorant and immature compared to him, he'd have nobody who can understand him or relate to him... All his friends and lovers eventually dying.

Let's assume the required secondary powers are all in place, i.e. vast memory capacity, immunity to disease and mutation, always looking vaguely appropriate for whatever age he's in.

You have no idea how often I hear people say the human brain can only retain a few hundred years of knowledge shit. As someone who has family that works in that field it drives me utterly mad.

This is honestly the real threat here neurons need to fire together in order to meld together. Info is rarely lost in the brain so much as is cut off from the whole via the linking breaking. So to my mind the big danger would be that this guy would stop doing something for 2000 years and by the point he retries he won't be able to pull the info he needs out of his brain.

One could argue that 3000 yeras of this have also caused him to become jaded instead.

Accepting he is a tree among may flies and thus above them emotionally and mentally.

Though would make for an interesting villain who lashes on borderline insanity only to mature into a emotionless couch potato.

Maybe the old people you know.

Most of that is ordinary senility. An immortal would be immune by definition.

We don't have an exact estimation. But most research says at least around a quadrillion bytes. The problem isn't the storage of the info. It's as you say the Retrieval of it.

That would likely depend on the person. Someone who isn't too emotional I could see handling the friends and lovers deal and the age and maturity thing as long as he isn't going full transhuman he likely still has the same form of thought processes we do. Which kind of maxes out how immature he would see others.

Well presumably if he hasn't killed himself already he has found his peace with it somewhat. Hundreds of years of meditation and philosophy from around the world probably helps

>Abloobloo immortality bad, the people you love die.
Spoiler: it also happens to mortals, turns out most people survive it just fine.

>Human brain has about the capacity of the entire internet.

But you're not conscious of that data, you can have infinite data storage but you still have a human brain that has trouble remembering shit that happened 6 years ago and is susceptible to making up false memories to fill the gaps.

Money, an immortal could easily build a cult of personality or gather ancient artifacts and sell them for millions. Also duping old money aristocrats for eternal life in exchange for influence, eventually they might have enough influence to rule a country especially if he has being there since the beginning.

Quads confirm.

Have you guys really never seen Highlander

By that logic many of us here should be crazy.

>worrior

That's sort of how I've written a super-AI for my setting. It went through a lot of personality phases trying to make sense of its situation: being smarter and faster than anything else and never having to face death. The AI eventually decides to deactivate for a few hundred years and let the galaxy to fight more wars, make more art, write new books, and just do more stuff so it can go exploring again. It also started limiting itself like an expert who's played a game too many times and only does challenge runs. Though it was angry about being given a task (the whole "oh crap I'm a machine and my goals in life were actually just instructions in my code" kind of thing) the AI just decided that being a combat machine with a thirst for information isn't so bad a life. With dozens of bodies encased in living flesh and access to the galactic internet the opportunities are endless, why not just go on infinitely exploring them.

Sorry. Shamefur display

Knowledge of various things like:
>Martial arts
>Crafts
>Trading
>Military Tactics
>Civil governance
>Engineering
>Historical knowledge
>Political and financial influence from behind the scenes

Also he'd be like Ghengis Khan and most of us would be related in some way to him.

He would really know how to deal with people.
He also would probably be a bit shorter xd

That was a great movie, even the fedora tipping was bearable.

No, is it good?

There are two types of immortals in my setting.

Immortals who give a shit, and have some agenda they are pursuing.

Or

Immortals who don't. They usually live in isolation, but as the years pass they usually find a spouse and have children. Those children have children, and then grandchildren. Eventually whole villages can spring up around the immortal as their family grows. Everyone in the village is either blood or married into the family, and they agree to keep Pop Pop's secret for him since he's just a swell guy. Some of the most prosperous and largest cities in the world have started out as one of these villages. Most immortals usually move on, crowded out by more and more outsiders. Some dig on their heels and seclude themselves, keeping the family close and pulling strings throughout the city when it suits them.

>spend 3000 years living among people
>seeing and hearing the same bullshit and drama all the way through the ages

he'd be very good at spotting lies. he'd be very good at persuading people. he'd be very good at chatting up the ladies, and he'd probably be a great lover, since after all that time, he'd just know every trick in the book.

so, he'd be a super-socialite

I imagine it gets easier with practice. After losing your love of your life for the 3rd time, the 4th probably won't shake you much

>Spoiler: it also happens to mortals, turns out most people survive it just fine.
Not to argue with quads, but everyone in the past hundred thousand-odd years that's felt the feeling of love has died or is on their way to dying. That's a very low survival rate

most skills have been completely rethought in the past couple hundred years. cooking? ireland and germany didn't have potatoes before 1500. music? flute and drum are the only components of the modern orchestra to predate the baroque, and they were redesigned. squad tactics? reworked extensively based on what the other squaddies could be relied on for. art? the renaissance gave birth to things like perspective.

i'd write him as an exceptionally erudite and wise-not-necessarily-smart mma champ. that shit is what hasn't changed.

he'd be fucking batman. both in terms of his skills but also the very real possibility that he might one day dress up like a winged rat and beat the shit out of people for shits and giggles

Yeah, just a few decades and it'll be like you never stopped!

Literature and linguistics expert too. Since he fucking REMEMBERS when all that shit was written. Also probably knows the answers to more than a few big historical questions.

lit/ling, ehhh
if anyone ever believed him he'd be an amazing resource, but that's a big hurdle. and he'd have to remember accurately, which is also a big hurdle.
historical questions are a thing but so many historical questions are "10k dudes saw this before getting put to the sword".

because of the local nature of 300-1500 knowledge that we're missing it completely depends on what city/town he was in at any given moment, and a dude who camped in rome to 700 and then moved to paris would be near-irrelevant.

People are really overestimating the amount of "information" a guy like this would have. With no mass media, information was pretty hard to come by and was limited and related to specific circles.

I'd say two things happen...

Near infinite ambition to make the world in his image through manipulation, seeing as he lives forever his goals could be so far of in the future that nobody can truly predict his plans and everyone can very well become a pawn.

Or...

He does absolutely fucking nothing since he will never expire and thus he procrastinates forever for there is no real urgency in his life.

Either way it's "not giving a fuck about anything ambition" or "not giving a fuck about anything procrastination".

Sorry for any grammatical errors, I am a toaster.

Ah we've both seen the man from earth i see

Lots of technical know-how?