How can I interpret a character's damage as nonlethal?

How can I interpret a character's damage as nonlethal?

I'll set the scene
>Mutants and Masterminds 3rd edition
>playing 'Hero School' setting, so everyone is bright eyed and bushy tailed idealists
>all characters are mutants
>one character has the power to produce high amounts of radiation in beam form
>doesn't want to kill people with it

everything I know about radiation tells me if she's using it to fight she's either gonna cook them from the inside out or make their skin slough off after their chromosomes are destroyed. How can I fluff nonlethal damaging radiation?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Active_Denial_System
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goiânia_accident
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unethical_human_experimentation_in_the_United_States#Human_radiation_experiments
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samut_Prakan_radiation_accident
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demon_core
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Jesus fucking Christ OP, I know you're using the image to make a point but I was not prepared.

More than that, you're playing a fucking superhero RPG, where radioactive spiders let you shit webs. You left realism at the door a long time ago- just treat it as a laserbeam with an AOE that needs to be taken into consideration or something.

Nonlethal means "not going to immediately kill you" which is why too much of it can still kill you.
Look up radiation sickness, apply it quickly.
That said, the player chose a fucking AWFUL weapon that will have massively long term consequences. You may want to convince them to just go full Cyclops instead, user, if this is a heroic setting.

What sort of radiation?

Apply radiation to the target until it falls unconscious, then take the radiations back.

supposedly she based it off of the character hunter from the FAYZ series, which is her husbando. from what i've read of him he had trouble keeping his power in check and accidentally killed a lot of things until someone brained him with a brick and gave him permanent brain damage.

sorry, forgot to mention it's microwave.

>the guy received multiple skin grafts that just slough off his body again
>copious amount of blood transfusion that he bled out anyway
>in constant pain
>they kept him like this for several months before dying
just a reminder.

I don't know much about radiation, but in most supers settings people can take explosions to the face, so you could probably just have the enemies surrender when they get low health? If you're doing training through having students fight then you'll probably want some kind of healer off in the background of every fight

i get that, i'm just thinking that while other characters powers have collateral damage, it's all fairly visible. her character has the potential to roast civilians through a wall because she didn't know they were there.

They can use radiation to heal!

Why didn't you start there?
Microwave weapons we have are non-lethal. Just makes the skin uncomfortably/painfully hot until the baddie moves away or give up. Straight damage would just knock them out, right?

City of Heroes was the best.
Rad/rad defender was... rad.

Microwave radiation is not NEARLY as lethal as that in the OP. I believe the OP was damage from gamma wave radiation.
And non-lethal microwave radiation makes perfect sense. Superficial damage from blistering someone's skin or leaving them wracked with pain by partially cooking their tissues would be my best bet for description. Look up "Less Than Lethal" weapons online and look for microwave emitters. They're a prototype riot control system which lightly cooks (no long-term damage to a person, just a harsh stinging pain) a crowd to make them disperse.

Huh, didn't really give a second thought with that pic, not sure what that says about me. But basically what first user said, it's a super hero setting, nothing has to make sense. Lazer with AOE is probably the way to go.

that's a good point. i'm not the most up to snuff on science, i just remember stuff from my science lessons way back when, that it can give you cancer and also the above pic of the blue flash stuff.

thanks for the answers anons, i'll use this. wouldn't have made this it's own thread but there doesn't seem to be a mutants and masterminds general, so I kinda had to.

Mother of god just put a bullet in that...thing. That's no way to exist.

you wanna know the ironic part? His name was Hiroshi Ouchi

Jesus fucking Christ you could have put a spoiler on that I know this is the internet but fuck.

would you feel better if I told you it was just a movie prop? I mean, it's not, but would you feel better?

Hisashi Ouchi. Lived for 83 days. Picture of his chromosomes after the incident.

Makes them sick

Sunburns

Blisters if you amp it up

Cause mutations

Yes but it's a bit late for that now.

What's even worse is despite the poor fuck pleading to the doctors to end his life they used him as a guinea pig for 83 days where he remained in excruciating pain.

true. pretty fucked up. at least he was in an induced coma for most of it. can't really say whether he still felt it while he was asleep though.

On an unrelated note, radiation based super powers can be cool. I Like Utsuho does it.
>Eat the sun god
>acquire "three legs"
>can now control nuclear fusion
She's a literal walking ball of nuclear hellfire and feathers.

He woke up several times and begged for death and was promptly ignored. On one occasion when woken his heart stopped three times...

Also

>Ouchi's intestines began to melt, so doctors put a camera in his rectum to monitor their condition

well. on the bright side, if karma exists that guy is probably getting his cock sucked 24/7 right about now.

My grandad was a young man during the cold war. I remember discussing nuclear war survival after visiting a nuclear bunker with him and he said to me if he knew the bombs were dropping he'd go straight outside in the open and die quickly. I thought he was being cynical or just joking at the time.

I think I see why now.

And Ouchi was the luckier one out of those two dying after 82 days, Shinohara lasted 211 days before perishing.

>his organs began to melt
Radiation is some fucked up shit man.

Radiation poisoning is honestly a fate worse than death.

>that guy is probably getting his cock sucked 24/7 right about now.
...through a straw.

...and I'm going to hell.

I think the inevitability of it all is the worst thing, knowing that it could take days or weeks to die, but there being nothing physically possible to fix it outside of bullshit sci-fi tech.

Using it to assassinate Alexander Litvinenko was super fucked up.

Isn't radiation poisoning basically the symptoms of your body breaking down at the atomic level?

Honestly for me I would rate the "Your skin is sloughing off and your organs are melting." worse. A lot of shit is inevitably going to kill you. Not many do so in such a long and painful way.

About the only death I can think of off the top of my head that compares is that one genetic disease that turns off your ability to sleep. So you spend 6 months with your body and mind slowly breaking down until you are a drooling retard who's heart just fails.

In layman terms I believe it essentially breaks down all the chromosomes in your body so that your cells don't have the genetic blueprints to repair themselves . Your body is always in a constant state of losing cells and regaining new ones but if you don't have the ability to create new cells your organs just slowly liquify until they fail entirely but the process can take months depending on the extent of the damage and how much of you is kept alive via machines etc.

That's not to mention the endless bacterial and fungal infections that would come as a result of you having no white blood cells ...or well skin to act as a barrier to infection.

It can't be a fate worse than death if it directly causes your death.

>haven't slept in like a day
>bumble into this thread
I'm glad I'm posting adorable fluffballs, Id have fucking nightmares if I ended up falling asleep now.

This is what I get for hoping for a thread that isn't another martials Vs caster debate....

Not only is it a fate worse than death, it is a fate worse than *just* death and a fate worse than being a pedantic autist compelled to correct others yet who is really wrong themselves.

You want the worst part? Radiation poisoning fucks you up by ruining the cell cycle, causing a fraction of your cells to die instead of reproducing to replace themselves. This process takes roughly 24 hours per cycle for most of the solid organs in your body. Your nerve cells, however, don't undergo this process. This means you get to keep a fully functioning nervous system, and perfectly aware brain, inside the sack of soup that is your body.

>turns off your ability to sleep

There's a great book called Nod which explores what would happen if 99% of the world all found they couldn't get to sleep at once.

>another martials Vs caster debate....
...truly a fate worse than radiation poisoning.

Well guess that answers the question of whether or not he could feel his organs liquifying.

The worst part is as far as I know the real people born with that have it far worse. The mental breakdowns only happen something like a few months into it. You'll seem fine for about a month or so. Then slowly it turns nightmarish with mental breakdowns and delusions happening all the time as your body starts to wear itself down. By the time you hit the last phase you are effectively an alzheimer's patient. With an extra dose of paranoia and panic attacks.

reminder: radiation fucks up film. The reason he looks blurry is he is so rad soaked it damaged the film.

He's been irradiated, not radioactive himself.

jesus, it's been a few years since I read that series, I did not remember just how dark it gets. Fucking lynch mobs, parasites that eat people from the inside, and giant worms that eat any animal that touches the ground.

why the fuck was that shit in a YA novel

Its a comicbook, just say she generates energy beams in a way that aren't regular radiation.

Are you simply retarded?

Thanks, user.

Japs running horrific experiments on people FOR SCIENCE was pretty common in those days, Mengele wasn't the only mad science superstar of the Axis powers just the most casually famous.

Is he ok?

... that accident happened less than 20 years ago.

>The reason he looks blurry

Is because its an old film, its not blurry.

He was living argument for euthanasia

Ain't nature just lovely, couple fuck ups while coding your genome can lead to you randomly losing ability to sleep, cause your soft tissue getting slowly replaced by bone, turn your brain into mush or other fun shit like that.

They shoved a pipe down his throat because his breathing threatened to stop. He couldn't speak from that day on, and cried for death before. He spent 83 days before dying. I don't think that counts as 'ok' by any definition. As the other user said, living arguement for euthanasia, Instead a team of medical practitioners play every card to keep him alive.

Did you mean this?
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Active_Denial_System

if an object gets irradiated, isn't it still dangerous? That's why the lands around Chernobyl are still deserted

It's not tgat unusual. Young adults like edgy stuff.

Chernobyl is surrounded by radiactive dust and such, which still emmits radiation. A irradiated body or substance got hit by radiation, but that doesn't turn it radioactive itself. Radioactivity is caused by certain chemical elements, which have to be present. Getting hit by radiation doesn't deliver these substances.

Chernobyl is mostly safe these days and people have lived there. It takes a lot to really cause the levels you are thinking of. There was one guy who found something strange while he was swimming in the pools they store waste at. When he pulled it up it turned out to be a fully irradiated chunk of a reactor that broke off and he got a full dose of it. But he is fine because he only held it for a short time and kept it away from his waist so only got the rads though his hands. It takes a shit ton of radiation to really cause a lot of the effects we are talking about.

>, cause your soft tissue getting slowly replaced by bone

This is always one of the top genetic diseases. Being turned into a statue in real life has to be up there in fucked up ways to go out.

WHY!?

WHY THE FUCK WOULD NOBODY HAVE SOME PITY ON THE POOR BASTARDS, THEY HAD NO ILLUSIONS ABOUT HOW THIS WOULD END JUST LET IT END ALREADY!

>There was one guy who found something strange while he was swimming in the pools they store waste at
>swimming in the pools they store waste at
Why?

He had to look for faults, damages and such. He was a part of the team of technicians keeping the plant up and running.

Because asian people don't have souls

>Leide das Neves Ferreira, age 6 (6.0 Gy), was the daughter of Ivo Ferreira. When an international team arrived to treat her, she was discovered confined to an isolated room in the hospital because the hospital staff were afraid to go near her. She gradually experienced swelling in the upper body, hair loss, kidney and lung damage, and internal bleeding. She died on October 23, 1987, of "septicemia and generalized infection" at the Marcilio Dias Navy Hospital, in Rio de Janeiro.[13] She was buried in a common cemetery in Goiânia, in a special fiberglass coffin lined with lead to prevent the spread of radiation. Despite these measures, news of her impending burial caused a riot of more than 2,000 people in the cemetery on the day of her burial, all fearing that her corpse would poison the surrounding land. Rioters tried to prevent her burial by using stones and bricks to block the cemetery roadway.[14] She was buried despite this interference.

Remember anons. If you see something that shouldn't be glowing, glowing blue/green, that's cherenkov radiation. Get the fuck out as far as you can.

Because SCIENCE!
By which I mean: What does damage to people, how do they break down, and what effects do the different treatments have. The first week or two parts of the staff hoped they could still save his life, gave him a bone marrow transplant and such to revive his immune system. So mostly science.

There is people who do that shit near daily as a job. They have to search around for shit to see if there is any problems. A thing a lot of people forget is how Radiation really sucks at going though water. So it's actually safer in the pool most of the times then outside of it.

I do wonder if all these myths of shit like basilisks and other horrific things are just early humans witnessing similar things happening and trying to make sense of them.

>if an object gets irradiated, isn't it still dangerous?

Only certain forms of radiation, and its primarily a problem only for metallic isotopes (so, sure I guess your bone calcium 'can' become radioactive but if you were exposed to 'that' much direct radiation you're probably busy melting. That problem will come when something else ingests your now exposed bones.)

Ruthless scientific curiosity aside, euthanasia is illegal in many parts of the world. No matter how inevitable the condition no matter how bad the suffering, the caretakers can't just let it end.

>be in excruciating pain
>named 'ouchie'
lmao

That's what most myths really are when you boil it down. Either a fantasy story that took a life of it's own or a disjointed account of people trying to make since of like what a rhino is or what that guy born with a genetic disease is.

Cherenkov radiation only happens in water (due to particles moving faster than light). A radiation source in air would, at tops, glow like hot metal, if it was hot enough. Most of the time you'd probably just feel heat coming from it (which is why we got reactors that turn heat into energy on space probes and shit). Possibly other effects as well. I think the Chernobyl bio-robots reported feeling tingling in their limbs and a metallic taste in their mouths.

I believe the man in OP got hit with Cherenkov; iirc, he and his coworker reported a bright blue flash, and he got hit with some 2k times the amount of radiation needed to kill you.
I understand trying to find out if you can actually save someone hit bad by radiation, but honestly, I find it hard to believe neither the Russians nor the Americans already did these kind of experiments during the Cold War.
This kind of information would have been absolutely crucial to their efforts. I doubt either side would have let something like ethics or morality prevent them from trying to fuck the other over.

Do Not Resuscitate.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goiânia_accident
Well i don't know about the technical part but the reason why the little girl got royally fucked (more than the adults) is because the thing was glowing and kids love cool glowing stuffs.

I feel like there is a profound difference between 'palliative care' and literally attempting to rebuild a man with the structural consistency of a sandcastle on an incoming tide. It was almost resembles obscene showboating at the limit they took it to "LOOK AT WHAT WE CAN DO, WE REPLACED HIS SKIN FROM SERAN WRAP!"

Memes aside, asian cultures do have occasionally terrifying ideas on the concept of loyalty and self-ownership.

In the West retaining your knightly honor ideal meant you served a godly lord, were loyal and brave, yet importantly demonstrated mercy to those under your power (peasantry, women, captives.)

In the East it mostly seemed to mean you never lost and more importantly, SHALL NOT DISOBEY the requests of your ranking superior. I haven't been exposed as many to Chinese equivalents though, so I'm not entirely sure if that example holds true throughout.

Of course, both examples are merely ideals (to which their adherents had real difficulty actually practicing, but their differences and application are interesting.)

Well, the US detonated nukes and had soldiers walk towards it, to study the effects of nuclear radiation.

>I believe the man in OP got hit with Cherenkov

Cherenkov radiation is just light. Blue light released as the particles move faster than light. Similar to a sonic boom.

The guys were unskilled at mixing uranium in the wrong vessel, got too much material in it and caused a criticality, which released a ton of energy and radiation in one go. Criticalities have happened a lot. There was a similar incident in the US at the merry old days of nuclear research. Some dude was mixing a solution and observing it through a view slit. The solution went critical, resulting in a radiation burst. He saw a bright flash and was knocked down. Others in the lab reported a flash and feeling a sudden wave of warmth. The machinery protected most of him, but a sliver of his head, the size of the view slit, suffered a similar fate as Ouchi, though he died faster. There's also the infamous Demon Core, which has resulted in the deaths of many people.

One good example is the SL-1 accident, where a test reactor blew up because a technicians starting it up withdrew the control rod a little too much, since it was stuck and they were trying to unjam it. The few inches too much the pulled it back to try and dislodge it caused the reactor to go critical, instantly boil the water in the vessel and blow up. The whole reactor vessel jumped in its housing and the dude handling the rod was nailed to the roof of the reactor building with the control rod itself.

>read through the article
>find it darkly amusing

Guess that this makes it official, I'm going to hell when I die.

A lot of Eastern thought when it came to bureaucracy was about honoring your betters (your lord, your parents, your elders, in that order), with considerable social ramifications on the latter tow, considerably lethal ramifications on the first.
You did as you were told, because Heaven made it so, and to disobey is to defy Heaven.
I mean ridiculous shit like OP, either done on purpose or by accident, with the same end effects.

If they turned that off would he die?

Well, it does say they don't know what might have caused the glowing, though "ionized air glow, fluorescence or Cherenkov radiation associated with the absorption of moisture by the source" are given as possible reasons.

I seem to recall reading somewhere the mushroom cloud of the trinity bomb had a blue glow to it due to all the highly radioactive material in it.

That one is fishy at best, a bracelet or tattoo has no legal binding. Depending on country doc might get in trouble if he doesn't try to keep you breathing.
The only country where it's easy to let yourself end even thought euthanasia is not legal would probably be the States - just don't have insurance and you're good.

I'll just leave this here for you. Many of the non-nuclear things are very horrifying, but the nuclear ones aren't exactly ethical as well.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unethical_human_experimentation_in_the_United_States#Human_radiation_experiments

That entire thing really was a clusterfuck one would expect out of Monty python or some shit and not real life.

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unethical_human_experimentation_in_the_United_States#Human_radiation_experiments
Sad thing is, this is the stuff that was declassified or leaked, so you can be assured there is FAR worse out there that has yet to be rooted out.
God knows what the Russians did, they seemed far more willing to go the distance.

No worries man. I also found it somewhat entertaining, and informative.
Here's another one
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samut_Prakan_radiation_accident
Or the one that other guy is mentioning
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demon_core

You can have it marked down in your papers, you can have someone with power of attorney issue one on your behalf, etc.

I live in one of those "euthanasia is illegal" countries and I know more than a few people who've had it put in their papers that they don't want to live hooked to a machine and as such hospitals do take care of them, but if there's anything that requires them to hook them to a machine to keep them alive, they won't.

demon core genuinely sounds like something you'd find in an rpg adventure as like, the lair of the bbeg or something.

Uh yeah? He received lethal dose of radiation. His body basically forgot how to regenerate lost cells.

>conscientious objectors
>"I ain't dying for this country."
>"lol, yes you are."

>Early in the Cold War, in studies known as Project GABRIEL and Project SUNSHINE, researchers in the United States, the United Kingdom, and Australia tried to determine how much nuclear fallout would be required to make the Earth uninhabitable.[87][88] They realized that atmospheric nuclear testing had provided them an opportunity to investigate this.

Or what's going on today.

Stop hiding the truth, NASA, where are those Martian slave colonies!

nice names for what is basically a mini nuclear apocalypse.

I think the worst thing is that you have a remission period for several days where you felt normal after receiving a lethal radiation, then your body started failing and melting afterwards.