Does anyone here play PTU? It's Pokemon Tabletop United...

Does anyone here play PTU? It's Pokemon Tabletop United. It's a Pokemon tabletop game with lots of options for building trainers and pokemon. So far, I've been playing it with a DM and another guy, and it's pretty fun. Immune to Smogonshit, so nearly every Pokemon is viable.

I don't ever see it mentioned here, so I guess this is a PTU thread. Tell stories and ask questions, I'll be hanging around for a bit.

Other urls found in this thread:

pkmncards.com
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I tried a game of PTU once. All the options seemed fun and rad, but the actual gameplay of it I found to be very slow, clunky, and hard to remember. It also didn't help the GM was a cunt who got furious anytime someone asked for rules help.

Yeah, I confess, the multitude of options also necessitates a lot of rules (which are, with certain abilities, then modified or broken outright) that can be hard to keep track of. I think this game really lends itself to online play rather than physical for that reason, because there are tools that can be used to make things happen much faster. My DM recently discovered a Pokemon generation tool for use with PTU and it's made things WAY easier.

My experience with it was that combat was very slow due to everyone having both their character and their pokemon on the field at once.

>Immune to Smogonshit, so nearly every Pokemon is viable.

What?

I played the earlier one that was loosely based off mutants and masterminds with some really questionable design decisions such as making a shit ton of different classes, and numbers that were all over the place and inconsistent. I ended up making my own system, but I've long lost any of the files for it. Even then after going to extreme lengths to simplify PTA (At least I think that's what it was called) to the point where I feel like I accidentally created DnD 5e before it existed it really only worked with 2 GMs to speed up the fights. I never tried PTU because by the time it existed my group had kind of lost interest in a pokemon game
It's basically a red flag as far as criticism goes. Smogon is far from perfect, but the people that are really butthurt about it tend to the ones that obsess over a certain pokemon like a sonic fan or something

I played it once, played a farmer boy trainer who constantly talked about how comfortable his shorts were.

Played it ages back. Fire type master with mostly non-fire types typeshifted to fire. Fire/grass venusaur, for example.

(Steel/Fire steelix was super fun too)

>non-fire types typeshifted to fire

as someone who has played all 7 generations of Pokemon games, what is this

This is the kind of thing that was the most off putting about that game to me. At best it was a lot more consistent with the anime than the game, but some of the things in there just seemed like random nonsense

Its fun and I really want to play it but its core issue is its complexity, but with a good group it can work

>My DM recently discovered a Pokemon generation tool for use with PTU and it's made things WAY easier.
Link plz

Eh, there's precedent. There were Delta Types in the TCG, and now there's Regional Forms.

It's on the PTU website, it makes wild mons instantly within a couple parameters. I think it can do a little bit of trainer stuff too.

OP here, I meant that while there's a meta, it's not anywhere close to being as constricting as the actual Pokemon competitive scene is, where there is ABSOLUTELY a correct answer to this, that, or the other. PTU gives you a lot of options to be creative with whatever Pokemon you're given, so it's not like you have to be sad if all you catch is "weak" mons.

regional forms don't let you pick and choose any type you want and who cares about the TCG, assuming it even has a canon it's separate from the games

Can you fuck the Pokémon?
Asking for a friend.

You don't get to pick and choose. It's up to the GM. They are considered 'shinies' if they are a variant that is noncanon, and it's strongly recommended that you use them extremely sparingly.

I'm kind of an idiot about rules, I'll admit, but the game is damned fun. Plenty of potential for antics and serious business, too. I rolled up a boxer-kid with a Machop starter. We beat up some gangster-sentret, gator-wrestled a Totodile out of a river and into a pokeball, and got nearly killed by a Gastly in a spooky cave. It's a cool fucking game so far, and it gives me a nice nostalgic feeling as a long time Pokemon fan.

I've played two sessions of PTU and am in the process of designing a "dungeon", a small island with 4 distinct zones that act as scene refreshers with different wild tables and a single mini boss each, with a Boss templated poke in the center.

Generating wild pokes on the fly is rough, so I've been writing each out individually in advance.

There are a metric shit ton of rules and abilities, as every move in the game is statted, but a lot of the complexity is easily worked out in session zero.

Combat did not seem any more or less tedious then Pathfinder. A table of players who are familiar with their trainer and pokemon should finish any given encounter in 20-30 minutes.

Ama?

Hey DORK, this is a cool thread for cool guys. Poison bloods go home.

It can be a lot more tedious since each person can have up to 6 pokemon, making each person effectively 7. Wild pokemon you can generate with Genesis at least, and I think trainer pokemon to a point. Trainer features you'd have to apply yourself.

It's a fun game, but boy does it take a lot of prep.

>You don't get to pick and choose. It's up to the GM.

Still sounds like shit that would bog the game down with special snowflake combinations

But need I remind you, the guy who started this entire conversation >Fire type master with mostly non-fire types typeshifted to fire

doesn't sound like he was using it sparingly or forced to make due with whatever the GM offered.

>I rolled up a boxer-kid with a Machop starter.

How does the concept of a starter pokemon work for this RPG? In the video games the protagonist always gets the fire/water/grass choice from the local professor, but obviously in-universe this isn't how every trainer gets started. Caan you start out as one of those Bug Catcher kids or a student at a Pokemon academy? Can you be a gambling addict whose first Pokemon was a Game Corner prize?

Up to the GM

That's the GM offering all that stuff, so it's up to them. It's not the game's fault inherently. It doesn't really bog things down much as it's just.. they are now weak to x, resistant to y, immune to z. Maybe you give them some different moves in their movepool, or a different ability. It doesn't bog things down any more than a normal pokemon.

Besides, as someone said earlier, regional variants exist so it's not even out of the main game canon.

The suggestion is to pick the first form of a three form pokemon. That limits you off the bat a bit, then you are recommended to now allow ghosts, steel, rock, or dragon starters for a couple reasons, even discounting the advantage of early game resistances they'd have.
You can say wherever you got your starter from, within reason. The starter is treated a bit special, in that it can learn an egg move at 20 like a normal bred pokemon (game does have breeding and fossil restoration and all that jazz). It's pretty fun, though as everyone says it is definitely mechanically heavy.

Admittedly, my table hasn't even come close to that end game scale. If any of each trainer is commanding all six of his pokes at once, it's probably not a league battle, or even a trainer battle. Idk, depends on the narrative I suppose, but that kind of thing is most certainly not the norm.

To be honest I'd love to play a PTU game, but I don't have anyone to play with. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

To you anons who play Pokémon rpg, how do your games work? I mean, I don't think Pokemon games are really adaptable to a tabletop game. Do you end up playing closer to the manga rather than the games?

Also, what about Pokerole?

It was fun if a bit heavy, Online aids, knowledge of d20 grid combat and spreadsheets are a must. I enjoyed finding wild pokemon that I would never use in a game and running with them. Also ace trainer was OP but I think it was nerfed pretty heavily

>regional variants exist

that's not the same as "you can make up any type combo for any Pokemon"

Before regional variants existed you had Rotom that can change types, that doesn't mean other Pokemon can. And before that you had Eevee. That doesn't mean every Pokemon can have multiple evolution paths.

Going by just the mechanics, I'd say more like the manga. Pokemon and trainers can actually die. Of course, you can elect not to follow those rules, to have a more anime-like tone

There are some pokemon that have a capability called Underdog. They have slightly lower then average base stats, and access to certain Edges, basically feats, that other pokes don't. Ptu suggests anything with Underdog can be a starter

Does anyone have experience with Pokerole?

If you are playing tabletop you can make up whatever you want dude. It's not the same as multiple evolutions, it is exactly like regional variants where they are type shifted. I don't get what the big deal is about that, it's honestly the smallest change compared to what trainer features and PTU's new or altered abilities, pokemon's own attributes like flight or phasing through objects, or odd items do.

Manga/Show with a heavy dose of generic anime tropes.

>If you are playing tabletop you can make up whatever you want dude.

Yeah but the rules you make up have to be rules that other people are going to want to play with If you homebrew a race of half-drow/half demons who are immune to fire damage and can all use kamehameha no one is going to like you

I had an Underdog Onix in my game. She knew dig and I gave her the burrow speed training so her burrow distance got ridiculous. It was pretty fun.

Are you really that mad about a potential water type diglett? Is this real? If you're talking overpowered combinations, yes, that can be ridiculous like a steel/poison type that has levitate and fireproof. But at that point it's on the GM.

no I'm mad about psychic/steel alakazam or ghost/fairy Gengar or >Fire type master with mostly non-fire types typeshifted to fire

Can PTU be adapted to be a more Mystery Dungeon-esque game? I've got a few friends who really seem to take to PMD's setting, and it seems like it would be fun to actually play as Pokemon, rather than as Trainers.

>you can make up any type combo
You keep acting like it's the player writing up their special snowflake dreamlist instead of the GM making and including unique pokemon of their own volition. Do you also REEEEEE at DMs that include magic items without a page reference in the DMG?

>You keep acting like

see

>STOP HAVING FUN
>I HATE IT SO YOU MUST TOO

Grow up.

And you know how he got to do it? The DM let him. Because that's what was fun to them. Literally all you have to do is play with a group that doesn't want to do that.

you can have whatever fun you want, just don't call it Pokemon. Call it user's special snowflake-mon or something

You're the special snowflake here, dickhead. You don't define what's "real" in someone else's goddamn pretend-land.

>no u

first you moved the goalposts, now this. Good job.

>Using pokemon world
>Using established pokemon
>Using established types
>change one type on a pokemon
>"CALL IT SOMETHING DIFFERENT"

Or I'll just call you autistic.

>>Using established pokemon

but they aren't

At least CWC had the decency to name his shit Sonichu and not pretend it was"totally just Pikachu, but with one detail changed I swear"

I imagine you'd just play PTU completely without trainers. You could rename already-statted items and just have pokemon use them as trainers would.

Changing one type on a pokemon is not changing it to an entirely new pokemon, you autistic child. You're the one moving the goalposts here, not the other user.

alright, what goalpost did I move? My original position was that type shifting is dumb and gay and that's still my position.

>Changing one type on a pokemon is not changing it to an entirely new pokemon

Wrong, for example Xerneas and Yveltal have the same stats but different typing

I'm not 12 so no, why would I?

It's fine that you think that, my position is that it's dumb to go NUH-UH THATS'S NOT REAL POKEMON, SOMEONE CALL THE WRONGBADFUN POLICE just because someone's playing the game differently. What, you want to play with the same old Pokemon all the time? Nothing wrong with putting a spin on things.

You're moving the goalposts by trying to claim they're making entirely new pokemon instead of just changing one type.

Please, do explain Arceus. Oh wait. You can't. Continue to be autistic elsewhere, this is your last (you) from me.

that's not what moving the goalpost is, I never said or implied that wasn't the case. I always implied it was if anything.

>Please, do explain Arceus

Arceus is a Pokemon that changes forms. He is becoming a different Pokemon with each form. You'll notice in the Pokedex there's a separate entry for each form you've seen.

You must've gotten lost on your way to the more mature, superior tabletop thread, /pfg/. It's the one with the big anime tits, can't miss it.

>Nothing wrong with putting a spin on things.

it is when you abuse it to get a monotype team without actually having to restrict your choices at all.

There's no reason to do it other than to get around a particular weakness or use whatever pokemon without considering how they might fit your team.It's equivalent to that kid on the playground that gives himself new superpowers on the spot.

Yeah, but you're no better than him for running over and saying "Hey kid, you're playing pretend wrong!" Just play somewhere else, shitass.

Except I never even visited his playground. the kid posted what he did on a public forum for all the world to see and apparently no one is allowed to call him out.

>it is when you abuse it
Again: THE PLAYER IS NOT THE ONE MAKING THE NEW 'MONS. It is the GM. A player cannot abuse a mechanic or option that they have no say over; all they can do is hope that the GM gives them what they want.

I get that pretending to be retarded can be fun, but Christ almighty you're a natural.

>GMs can't abuse things

how did he end up with a monotype team of all type shifted mons then?

Well I'm certainly glad we have heroes like you to bitch about stupid shit online, or I'd NEVER know what to like. Truly, you've done the world a true service.

Why are you even on Veeky Forums

to shitpost

to shitpost about Pokemon

I just started playing this with a group. I'm a normal type type ace

Any interesting stories yet, or is your game too new?

post the pdf if you are so great

protip: you aren't

The first session we were all together we spontaneous most of it trying to find pokeweed

I wanted to run this for my wife, but she couldn't get over the idea of a human hurting a Pokemon (and vice-versa).

Could I alter the game to be viable with just human-on-human and Pokemon-on-Pokemon combat, with no cross-species violence?

The humans can engage in combat in this game? what the hell?

simply keep combat restricted to pokemon, I guess?

Humans can't keep up with Pokemon for almost any time at all.

Yeah. Humans can even use Pokemon moves. I mach-punched a sentret that tried to take a gotta from us once.

>Humans can even use Pokemon moves.

for WHAT PURPOSE

that's retarded fuck

why would anyone want to do that? You are suppose to roleplay a trainer

Yeah, it's really stupid TBQH. Even in Pokemon Conquest, humans don't fight Pokemon... That's for villains, and always has been. Team Rocket cutting off Slowpoketails and blowing up Magikarps was 100% villainous behavior.

It's impossible to be a "hero" and also hurt adorable creatures.

not even that, the Pokemon are supposed to be superpowered to the extent that humans do 0 damage to them. Why else would world-conquering villains use Pokemon when they can use guns instead?

And did all the trainers in the series JUST use Pokemon? Look at any fighting gym leader and tell me they aren't capable of kicking your ass. Trainers can indeed keep up with, and in fact out match, Pokemon... Which is a flaw, that combat trainers are often better than ace trainers.

>Look at any fighting gym leader and tell me they aren't capable of kicking your ass.

they can kick my ass but they can't kick my pokemon's ass without invalidating the entire premise

That wasn't true of the manga, especially for the ones with special powers like Sabrina. Bruno also was able to out wrestle his own Pokemon, for instance. You don't have to just be a generic trainer, and there's plenty that's not that like researchers, cooks, athletes, or mystics.

Is there a system for Mystery Dungeon pokeventures instead?

Pokerole, or ptu with no trainers.

I don't know anything about the manga but if I'm the henchman for a major crime lord and some 10 year old kid beats me in a Pokemon battle, and I'm capable of beating up all his mons with my bare fists, why don't I do that?

You probably aren't capable, since you're not a master martial arts but a gangster. That's not to say you can't try, though.

It's a paperwork simulator. I played and DMd a campaign of about one and a half years, are we all just burned out on book keeping.
I think a more narrative focused system would work better for Pokemon. If you do want to use PTU, don't run it like it's the games.

I imagine it's a bit of an unspoken rule. After all, most Pokemon could easily kill a man.

I GM pokerole over discord every once in a while, it is fun and a lot simpler than PTU.
Which one you prefer depends on whether you'd like to focus more on your pokemon over the trainer and prefer more anime-like mood than manga-like.
Though I've been wanting to try out the mystery dungeon supplement, seems a little darker than what you'd expect from that setting.

Weird, today's the first day I ever heard of pokeroll. It makes sense they'd make something faster, but how so? Just less depth?

Much less. That doesn't mean it's less fun, but there's certainly less shenanigans you can pull with trainer features, wild variances in stats, or other odd things like that.
The one thing it lacks, imo, are trainer abilities to distinguish your pokemon battling, training, and style.

Basically the focus is all on the pokemon. While PTU added trainer classes, features and edges to distinguish the different training styles and add a mix of crunch and flavour to the tabletop, Pokerole gave the trainer the roles of Fighter, ranger, socialité and scientist/medic depending on which skills you focus on (Fight, Survival, Contest, or Knowledge) The rest is up to the pokemon each one chooses, moves, attribute builds and roleplaying.

>Which is a flaw, that combat trainers are often better than ace trainers.
Eh in my experience it was the other way around. Martial Artist was solid at fighting trash pokemon, where your trainer effectively was a second, limited pokemon. But in any major encounter or gym battle you either were unable to act or were a liability where the enemy could one or two hit you in combat.

What's a good site for looking up images of a Pokemon cards?

Bulbapedia take forever to load and crashes my phone.

pkmncards.com

>There are people in Johto that don't start with a mareep
Why are they so wrong?

Because they chose the vastly superior Machop instead.

>There are people that don't miss 9/10 attacks
why even play, loser?

That's how i do it. There are a few unspoken rules that trainers follow.

>don't piss off the giant fire-breathing, ice-shooting, thunder-zapping, dream-eating death monsters.