Is there a good RPG built around similar progression to Mount & Blade...

Is there a good RPG built around similar progression to Mount & Blade, where players transition from adventurers to leaders of troops in small warbands and with estate management incorporated as time goes on?

bump

You are looking for Adventurer Conqueror King System

Looking into it, seems interesting. Any opinions on the system?

One thing which bugs me is that according to the page on drivethru rpg race seems tied to class which is something that really annoys me

bumping

I'm sure GURPS can handle it if you can't find anything or don't like the systems you find.
Estate management rules are rather light, though.

Kind of. Each race has its own set of classes.

So Humans have the standard Fighter, Magic-user, Cleric, Thief, as well as Assassin, Bard, Bladedancer, and Explorer.
Dwarves have Vaultguards and Craftpriests.
Elves have Spellswords and Nightblades.

The Player's Companion has a class builder, so you can build your own classes as well. You could also recalibrate the above or alter them or do whatever you want.

Are dwarves and elves with just two classes or are there some 'generic' classes everyone can use?

>class builder
What exactly is the point of classes if there's official material to build your own?

The Player's Companion has a bunch of extra classes for elves and dwarves. There are no generic classes, each race has its own set of classes.

Flexibility, maybe? OSR is big on homebrew so having tools to build and customize classes is a major selling point. It allows you to make the setting your own. That's also why they have each race have its own set of classes, so that you can make it your own setting and the mechanics reinforce that instead of just being another generic fantasy setting. If that's not what you want then just use any other OSR system that doesn't do that, they're all mostly compatible with each other. See also Sine Nomine (Kevin Crawford) stuff such as for example Stars Without Number which has the some of the best setting tools for generating setting material, plots. Or Yoon-suin. It's just par the course for OSR.

Apart from ACKS, there is also Kevin Crawford's An Echo Resouding. Both are great for what you want to do. Whereas ACKS takes a very bottom up nuts and bolts simulationist approach, AER does the same thing from a very top down abstract approach. ACKS's domain system is very much tied to everything else so you have to go all in, whereas AER is designed to be layered over an existing system.

Sounds like Reign to me.

Quite interesting. Do you think AER would fit over 5E should my players insist on it?

>GURPS
>Estate management rules are rather light, though.
user, I...

FURTHERMORE, if you want to know how much it'll cost to equip you and your elite guards with the best steel plate money can buy GURPS Low Tech Companion 3: Daily Life and Economics have you covered.

IF you want to DESIGN some sweet armor, the aforementioned Pyramid 3-52: Low Tech II also has Low Tech Armour Design. The actual GURPS Low Tech book is also obviously very useful here.

forgot pic

Yeah but that's from a Pyramid and IIRC rather limited in scope.

It also contains rules for villas, villages, urban carrying capacity and imperial capitals. It covers a decent-to-detailed level of rules e for every level when combined with LTC3, and Low Tech.
We are literally discussing its exact scope. Also Pyramid magazine rules are GURPS official rules.

Ey it's ya boy Reign.

"REIGN expands the frontiers of fantasy gaming by elevating the action to an international stage. Monarchs, mercenaries and merchant princes gamble armies and fortunes to win nations in a rich and vibrant fantasy setting. REIGN’s simple but complete rules model the triumphs and disasters of societies as small as a village or as large as a realm-spanning religion. With REIGN, your characters can defend threatened nations, bring prosperity to desperate provinces, make laws and perpetuate justice… or, if you prefer, loot, conquer and pillage on a vast and awesome scale."

All of this on One-Roll Engine so fights are quick and brutal. Mechanics for running anything from a humble mercenary company to an entire nation packaged with.

AD&D

There's no good one, because game designers have no experience actually managing assets and people effectively, let alone commanding people in combat.

I think so, since it was designed to be a bit system agnostic even though it's OSR.

Another option is Blacky the Blackballs (Gurbintroll Games) Immortals rules where he ports the old BECMI D&D domain rules to 5e. It's a free pdf on drivethrurpg.

Cool. Is it solid? And what would be your firsr preference, ACK? If I don't get an answer from my players as to their preference I'll just impose my will upon them.

Pentagon, what you are looking for is Pendragon. Deadly as fuck combat though, but if you want to play Knight that is the game for it. Plus it has a generational mechanic. Your character will eventually either die or retire and your heir will take his place as Lord of the Manor. God I want to play Pendragon.

Sounds interesting but I'm not sure my players will appreciate that degree of lethality.

I might end up checking out a couple of these. Very worthwhile suggestions to consider.

Brutal Legend

AD&D had rules for getting followers but it didn't make any sense, it was just "You're level 7 here's 20 dudes who follow you around and a keep they can live in". It seemed like an afterthought.

Bedtime bump