Anyone had one of those games that you just walked out on?

Anyone had one of those games that you just walked out on?

>2E DnD - rough DM with 'if you die you start all over' rules, which leads to a lot of party imbalance but we try anyway.
>My rogue ends up dead, reroll as a level 0 gnomish wizard who loves playing pranks while everyone else is level 3-5.
>Spend a good 3.5 hours during a session sitting around waiting to be able to play while the other characters are off on a side quest.
>I finally get to play when they stroll into town
>Super bored and pretty pissed at this point so I decide to prank the town we're in by stealing socks and blaming it on local kobolds
>DM suddenly gets super serious, tells me that's a chaotic evil action (I was neutral)
>Seems a bit steep but whatever
>At this point I don't care, I'm so bored I just want to do something and this falls right in line with my character (harmless fun)
>I fail a ludicrous roll (needed a 22 or some shit to tell a lie about socks), get beat up by locals and thrown into jail
>Figure at least we can have a rescue scene or something now with all the characters
>Nope. Side quest characters from before decide to go leveling on some monsters "since they were so close"
>I wait another 30 minutes while they fight and then get up and walk out
>Still don't talk to the group

>I wait 30 minutes while they fight
Combat doesn't take that little time. This story is bullshit.

They were mid combat when I walked out, chuckles.

>Super bored and pretty pissed at this point so I decide to prank the town we're in by stealing socks and blaming it on local kobolds

At least you have an inkling of when you were in the wrong, seeing as how you tried to justify yourself.

Having to sit around for 3.5 hours without any interaction is kind of shit on the GM's part.
But so is being a disruptive player for the lols.

It sounds like all parties involved were better off for your leaving.

Haha, and here I thought this kind of silly DM behavior wasn't as prevalent in the gaming community - thanks for setting me straight. You must be a real blast to play with. ;)

No one said the DM didn't make any mistakes.
But, you chose to act out your frustrations in a passive aggressive manner, rather than just talking to the DM about what was bothering you.

You had three and a half hours to petition the group to include you. If they found your request unreasonable, that was the moment you should have left.

Perhaps you can learn from this experience to communicate better. Good communication is the foundation of any good game, and it's good to try and learn from your own mistakes instead of just venting your frustrations about other people's.

>My rogue ends up dead
Do you mind telling us how you died?

I usually DM so I jump at the chance of having someone else do it for a session or two.

Same group as I always play with. Good times.

It's like a western vampire thing. There's slaves. I have an orc sidekick and the BBEG shows up and the DM just kills off my orc. I'm like, wtf, okay.

But then one of the other players has a slave and he's talking about how he's beating him. Getting really detailed.

DM and him just laugh while this goes on for way too long.

We're playing at my house and I tell them we're done.

>level 0 gnomish wizard
that's not 2e. Gnomes can only be illusionists, and only NPCs can be level 0.

Oh yes. Bunch of shitheads playing 3.5 in college. They hit a lot of warning flags; One player unironically glancing at GMs notes, they drove off their only female player (hence why they "needed a sorceror", and really wanted me to play one), extreme DMPCing whenever a player missed a session complete with moralizing and using (DM)PCs to force us to do stuff, GM tried using currency conversions that drove us mad, arbitrary rule-breaking GMing (i.e. oh the dominate gets through your mindblank yeah), rambling literal multi-page descriptions, many many houserules which indicated the poor bastard never even considered that a different game might meet his needs better, a highly adversarial approach to GMing, and a few others. I could almost picture these guys as the gaming group from "DM of the Rings" or "Full Frontal Nerdity", only much less clever.

It got bad enough that we shouted at each other and I left. I found a much better group after that, and I still play with the better group today. Though I will say that my experiences with arbitrary rule-breaking like that helped shake me out of the 3.5 mindset, helping me realize that there's more to games than rules and everything is at a GM's whim. Also it reinforced my understanding of roleplaying etiquette by seeing various ways in which it can go wrong, and made it more clear to me that sometimes leaving a gaming group is the most appropriate option. Like any kind of social norms, from the inside the rules are only perceptible when violated.

I wasn't exactly a model player at that time either, but I feel that strongly negative experiences like these can serve like "negative role models", as examples of what not to do, and what can go wrong when you mess up. When I could contrast that with positive gaming experiences, that's when I really started growing as a player and having more fun instead of indulging a hollow pursuit of big numbers.

Apart from level drain. A new PC cannot be level 0, but an existing PC could be reduced to level 0. It's like taking an arrow to the knee, ends your adventuring career unless a Restoration spell is cast on you.

Regardless, OP's story is bullshit, unless the DM corrupted the rules to get him to leave. Curious how he hasn't said how he died...

>2E DnD
>DM with 'if you die you start all over' rules
>level 0
Why did you even join this game? All the signs were laid out for you to not play this. No one to blame but yourself.

>New group in a town I just moved in
>They look like overgrown teenagers but are friendly and relaxed
>The DM says he didn't prepare anything while rolling a joint
>Ohshit.exe
>We are on a path, travelling
>Suddenly orcs and goblins attack us
>We somehow didn't see them charge from afar, didn't hear them and suddenly they are close
>DM begins to phase out while players describe their turns
>3 turns in he just stares at people talking to him and goes "... wat"
>Get up and leave politely
I really wanted to have a good game.

>OP pathetically still trying to make it about 2E

Yes, only once, but it happened.

>Godbound
>My character is Artifice, Fertility, Sun; setting is pre-historical
>Start off game in an empty plain, just crash land there with no direction
>walk for a while, eventually find a small tribe of nameless humans
>no NPCs are given names or personalities, things are quite boring
>two sessions later still no named NPCs, no plot, just a meaningless 'sandbox'
>one player spends like 40 minutes doing something apart from the rest of the PCs, literally sit there doing nothing during this
>finally their scene ends, my turn "Hey GM I want to do something cool with Artifice build a-"
>"Yeah sure alright, you start doing that. What are you doing [other guy]?"
>20 minutes of [other guy doing stuff

Literally the only time I've straight up walked out on a game, just a horrifyingly terrible experience to have.

When the GM and the group make you wait 3.5hours, there is no talking options. They are dipshit.

OP here, I've only responded twice so far but thanks. ;)

It was a homebrew version (though you're right, it was illusionist not wizard) where we started at level 0, among some other things. It initially started out pretty fun but as the level gaps started growing between characters it became much more of a hassle.

Rogue died to a basilisk trap of some sort; natural 1 a saving throw and instead of being paralyzed was killed outright.

>weed while DMing
>weed at all
Yeah I think you dodged a bullet there

We had done other games in the past that were fun, and the campaign started out a lot of fun. But as people died and some didn't, the power gap really began to grow which was less manageable as time went on.

Aye, alcohol and weed are good for when you want to turn off the lights and watch a movie. All creativity and intelligence just fade away during a game. I tried once to DM after having a few beers and it lasted 30 minutes before I got lost in my thoughts and did terribly.

I had one of these, a few years back. A word of warning is this story has a happy autism-less ending, like we still joke about the game even now.
>Nasuverse Fate Core game, Holy Grail War, later realize the GM was just copying FSN 1:1 with our characters
>play a dorky gamer who's also a hacker inventor, teamed up with Canon Gilgamesh (context: he's huge dickbag)
>tons of fun character interaction between PCs
>main game sessions range from being a drag to downright torture, at one point my character is raped by an enemy Servant with no room to escape
>plan an attack on an enemy master and servant; they fucking know of our plan in advance and just pre-empt us entirely, basically a complete waste of time session
>lots of "look at how your Servants are fighting and doing cool shit, what no don't try to interrupt them, it doesn't work"
>fastforward to the last session I was in: we're trapped in our school by a servant and have to investigate three potential suspects and suss out the person responsible, cool
>fellow player spends a fate point and gets a good roll to inspect the magic, "Nope nothing"
>spend 2 fate points myself, get a better roll of around +7, "Still nothing sorry"
>point out to the GM that there's basically no agency if rolls don't matter
>"well the door's right there man"
>take him up on it and just play Dota for the rest of the session
>let the GM know I'm ollying outie
>he has a game-ending breakdown because my char is "the MC"
>uh
>no??
>ollie outie

You made absolutely no effort to try to include yourself. Maybe don't blame others on your own failings.

He's not the GM, he can't include himself into anything.