Why are ancient settings never used? It's always medieval

Why are ancient settings never used? It's always medieval.

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/DtKQ6iQt
cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/volatile/Niemitz-1997.pdf
youtube.com/watch?v=12HXnYNA6Cg
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Wrong. Its always pseudo-renaissance.

Because lotr is popular while the argonauts isn't.

It's funny cause lotr owes elements to epics like the Argonauts

less non-state controlled scribes meant most stories focused on the state and it's generals and other leaders so the setting is less fleshed out.

Early medieval > high medieval

Because you've entered a bad crowd.

pastebin.com/DtKQ6iQt
>Greek Fantasy Tips and Resources

>that armor
10/10 guaranteed replies

LOTR imitators who never read the book assuming it was "medieval".

Sup

Renaissance *is* pseudo-medieval.

It's just what everyone around her is wearing, minus the helmet.

The only real "sins" are that she has no muscle tone, and thus probably shouldn't be on the front lines, and that she broke formation for no reason, likely a result of inexperience or poor discipline.

Probably some landowner's daughter who wanted her to get some military training for some asinine reason, but didn't realize that she wasn't guaranteed a safe position away from combat.

you're supposed to reply to the OP

The blonde hair and green eyes suggest she's a barbarian, maybe some sorta Celt or Germanic.

Wild West with superficial medieval elements.

No it isn't. Large parts of what we consider "medieval" never happened in the first place.

cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/volatile/Niemitz-1997.pdf

This is the worst phalanx I've ever seen.

>Broke formation
>No helmet
>No protection on her underboob
0/10

No.

>muh women fighters!

>depict a woman leading a roman legion
>the legion's phalanx is all fucked up
>the slutty commander is distracting her men with her giant boobs and ass
>no fucking helmet
Jesus L christ

Mazes & Minotaurs. Go play it.

You're lying if you say this isn't a great setting.

It's nowhere even close to what everyone else is wearing. What she is wearing is some "designer" crap that probably made real armourers vomit in a ten mile radius from the place of its creation.

If she was wearing what everyone wears there would be a padding under armour and we won't be able to see her boobs, because they would be squished under padding and armour. Her shield is also smaller than others.

I'm glad this post has been ignored, because it's the dumbest thing I've read all week.

There's not necessarily anything ahistorical about this pic.

The Roman legions were often accompanies by forces of auxiliaries who served as skirmishers in battle, harassing the enemy army as it advanced on the Roman lines, then clearing out before the serious fighting started. These auxiliaries were largely untrained and self-equipped, basically seen as expendable troops who were left to their fate if they got caught between the two forces.

So what we've got here is an auxiliary from Gaul or Germania, wearing a partial set of Roman gear likely scavenged from the dead. She's gotten her self stuck between the armies, but the Roman legion isn't going to open the shield wall to let her through, so she's pretty much screwed.

>she's pretty much screwed
Wink wink, nudge nudge?

Don't you see the size of those knockers? They're as big as her head, no way some padding can squish them. You'd need some eskimo level of clothing to hide all that stuff.

>No helmet
>Broke formation under fire
>Hair not at regulation length, possible carrier of lice and other parasites
>fucking godawful stance
>Shield is not protecting entire body, legs completely exposed
>Shorter than the surrounding men, even in formation, she would have to raise her shield above a comfortable posture for optimum protection

>Your Mammalian Visage When there are no copper age settings
>Your Mammalian Genitalia When everyone ignores Çatalhöyük and other proto-cities for setting creation
>Your Mammalian Mammaries When no one bothers with Mayan city-state epics

It's a very specific but no less real sort of feels.

Because anglos and germanics rule the world today while the greeks and romans have faded into relative obscurity.

People forgetting:

>those toe nails

Also classic blunder. Although I'm sure it was intentional.

Not just the nails, those toes in general are absolutely fucked up.

Didn't say it was bad, just that it wasn't renaissance or pseudo-medieval.

youtube.com/watch?v=12HXnYNA6Cg

No, I mean that she's going to totally get speared by the approaching enemy phalanx. In a few moments, there will be dozens of men jamming their polearms into her.

Are there any good RPGs set during the Roman republic?

Too much state control, bronze age is dominated by highly centralized city states, classical antiquity by bureaucratic empires. You can play border tribes or early iron age but that may as well be early medieval in all but aesthetics (but also in aesthetics anyway).

Most games are played with D&D and D&D is really hard to do well outside of its very specific medieval fantasy renaissance without extensive homebrewing which either most GMs can't be bothered with or most players roll their eyes at.

Meanwhile playing another game is haaard, can't we just play D&D?

Boobs are like bags of sand right?

LOTR and D&D

Slavery, genocide, murder and spectacle.

>Dat angry guy in the background

gets me every time.

you derailed your own thread before it started with your abhorrent image, good job OP

Salty milk and coins

That's one way to put it.

Burgerland I guess ?
There are a fuckload of ancient settings in TTRPG, you just live in a glorified thrid world country.

Because you don't know about settings outside DnD

>Why are ancient settings never used?
>forgets that Middle-earth is the most famous ancient setting ever

Rome 2 ruined my childhood.

Please respond.

I'll never get this " U.S. is basically third world" meme you eurofags push. It's just kind of sad really. Like those retarded inbred racist fucks who try to convince themselves they aren't pathetic because they're somehow "superior" to black people.

The Europeans have always seen the US as illegitimate and unsophisticated heirs. Europe always had this belief in its own exceptionalism. Americans like to talk about their exceptionalism but the Europeans truly were exceptional.

Don't care about ancient settings but I'm always interested in the Roman aesthetic, kind of "what if Rome survived until late medieval period advancing only technologically". IE centurion knights.

Most people don't try to adapt a system to ancient or even pre-14th century Europe. The systems that already those things out in the open though are collectively my niggas, even the ones I don't know yet.

Maybe the brits but I can say that the most of my country does not gives a crap and just wants to do what it does.
Europe does not has a unified opinion, trying to push that would have most shout out.
ARE YOU TRYING TO COMPARE ME WITH THE FUCKING (insert other nationality)?
I mean shit, go and try to have the Irish share an opinion like that with the brits.
Or the Frech with the Italians.
Its not that all go around fighting but their diffirent enough to twist about stuff like this.

Probably like the Byzantine Empire in structure, but more Western and Italian looking. I'm currently working on a campaign that's set in an empire like that

That's exactly what I'm avoiding. No advancement beyond technological so that the culture, politics and designs remains the same. That or just transplanting it to medieval fantasy times rathen than having it survived before.

I mean, Byzantine bureaucracy was very close to the standard Roman Empire, so it's nothing to fear. Roman armor mixed with Italian designs is basically the picture you posted earlier, too.

I would really like to run a neopaleolithic fantasy setting some day.
> Dwarves and humans are mostly settled into villages while most everyone else remains nomadic
> proto-magicians and shamanistic holy men have yet to break reality but the can bend the fuck out of it
> MAYBE a small number of dwarves have developed bronze and their weapons are fabled tokens of master warriors.

> Beer just got invented

It would be fun as fuck with a party that knows their shit.

IIRC they used mostly scale while I'm skipping to plate.

Also:
> the Stars haven't decided where they're going to stay and sometimes wonder
> those who listen carefully can he still hear the trees the grass the stones and the world whispering in a language that will become Arcana
> gods often rain directly over there people
> sometimes the fierce battles between Gods can reshape the land

The rest just see the US as either the usurpers or the upstarts.

ACKS is good for relatively faithful classical/antiquity games, which is basically the default setting. You could probably safely cut out the magic if you wanted. I know that a bunch of people have played it set in Hellenistic and Greco-roman civilizations.

I think you must of failed history.

In his defence, early renaissance overlaps with late middle ages, the last century to be precise.

honestly I think it is because allot of themes lack. Especially if you use dnd/other middle age fantasy as a base. Why make your martial even weaker? Yup I said such. They need to rely on stats more then their equipment then ever before because, their equipment is just plain worse then later ages.

But lets say you do not make it a d20 game and use something like gurps or some other system. The lack of martial choice is still a issue. Maybe you could make it bronze age asia and add allot of ki/kung fu abilities. If we choose Greece or Rome for example. It would just feel like allot like Europe but without the knights in armour and more like bands of fighters with crappier equipment. You would just solely relie on the setting to make things interesting which can be refreshing. For some at least. but, I guess the real reason being is that later ages provide more stuff then thus more content.

Has anyone played pic related? I've been meaning to run a one-shot of this

>less content

>Scythian/Hunnic horse-archers
>Falxmen running around bare-chested
>Mediterranean hoplites
>Mycenaean heavy armor and great-shields
>Heavily armored spartans
>Egyptian dudes with big curved weapons
>African camel-rider nomads
>Germanic swordsmen
>Grenadiers hurling incendiary mixtures (i.e. naptha/greek fire)
>Median heavy cavalry with based color scheme
>Iberian/Italian skirmish-fighters
>Cretian slingers
>Chariot riders
>Carthaginian elephant-riders

I'm probably missing stuff from the Europe/Near-East area, and you could even import shit from India or the far east if you want. That includes stuff like the Indian metal whip and really primitive firearms like flame-spears. Your fantasy world doesn't have to be a perfect representation of one historical place and time.

I think you "must of" failed English.

Holy shit read a book nigger.

Thing is allot of that content exists in the middle ages, expect for perhaps the chariots.

What kind of jobs would be expected out of a household slaver in the Eastern Roman Empire?

>salver.

I meant slave.

Folks that like to shitpost on international forums maybe.
But I got a hard time believing that poles, hungarians, all of the scandinavian countries, the swiss, germans, austrians, anyone not involved in the colonial times of the new world, has such an opinion about america in its population in general, or as a substancial chunk of lets say 25%.
Hell even countries that were like the dutch don't fucking care.
I'd lump the spanish with it but honestly I am not sure about them but I don't got the idea that they got the idea that americans are just some upstarts or some rebel colony.

>what if Rome survived until late medieval period advancing only technologically
You'd get the Byzantine Empire

To be fair the Argonautica is not a very accessible epic, since it was an experimental work that deviates from both the normal conventions of an epic poem and the conventions that would eventually characterize western literature. There are a lot of what we'd call loose ends, tangents, and random moments.

In many ways it's like a tabletop campaign.

This is a good idea and should be a thing.

>gods rain directly over their people
>being a piss fetishist
you have no place here, please be gone pissmancer. No magical realms here

Hope this helps.

I've lived in the US and in Europe, and substantial parts of the US really are pretty much third world.

Just play Mythic Iceland.

I mean, random villagers all over europe kept living almost exactly identical, medieval style lives until the industrial revolution had been going on for years. To say renaissance is pseudo medieval is bit misleading, yes. But that's because it is nearly identical to late medieval times, not just only "pseudo-medieval".

As much as I love RQ6, this is the one edition of the game that caters the most to the standard medieval fantasy mash..

>epic
>accessible
You mean like "you only need to have been immersed in elite educated culture your whole life to get it" as opposed to "you need to read books your whole life to get it"?

You are terrible at this language. Get a spellchecker if nothing else, since that can be automated there's no excuse.

Jesus how people who don't know shit are always so sure about their dumb opinions? Go study a bit you illiterate nigger

Same with Europe really. They're both big continents with massive populations. Many places are just going to be run down.

Byzantines but Latin instead of Greek.

Check out Wolf Packs & The Winter Snow. Its an osr from here. It does neolithic d&d.

>ACKS is just a d20 knockoff
Shame.

>cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/volatile/Niemitz-1997.pdf

>what is astronomy?

It's not much, but pic related is a conversion of Classic Traveller for the early Principate.
Wouldn't take too much refluffing to work for the late republic familia

Say no more, SAY NO MORE!

>leaving the formation

The late middle ages comprises the 1500's you twats.