So my latest game idea is that dragons and the races of man killed each other off entirely...

So my latest game idea is that dragons and the races of man killed each other off entirely, and the only sapients left are several varieties of kobolds.

How do? Or alternatively, talk me out of it.

In any case, post kobolds! Emphasis on different kinds.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legless_lizard
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I would just say do something that isn't kobolds since they're kind of overdone, but it's your game. do what makes you happy.

Always been fond of the pangolin idea, myself.

OP, I love it, go full steam ahead.

But you gotta throw dog kobolds in there too. The lizard kobolds won't understand how they squeezed out of the dragon/human conflict and it was cause race wars.

Well I was thinking differentiating them a little, modifying the concept with each of half a dozen or so breeds. I don't have anything dialed in yet though.

Oh I like this. My campaign has kobolds as one of dominant races (together with lizardfolk and gnolls), so I have quite a few ideas to share:

First is old one of kobolds lead by a warlock of the undying light, making tribe into a undead hunting fanatics obsesed with light.
They wear mostly white clothes and resided in an old dwarven fortress, filled to the brim with undead dwarfs and animals and kobolds keep this threat at bay

Overdone on Veeky Forums at the most. Just because there have been a bunch of Kobold threads doesn't mean there are many Kobold games.

Other idea is kobolds tribe that is all about warforged and metal working. Made up from artificers, forge cleric and hexblades that all worship giant destroyed dragon golem that fell from the sky ages ago

Also known for hunting and re purposing old warforged as replacement limbs or extra arms (Gave them a bit of techpriest and skitari feel)

This is a bit too on the nose animal wise, but it's neat enough.

So..Use short gnolls?

Yes, that are positive they are 100% kobold. They come from the east.

Last idea for now is this:

Riders of Spiders

Tribe of mostly druids and rangers that live in swamps and caves, taming and riding giant wolf and usual giant spiders

Some raise there mounts from eggs, resulting in old kobolds that ride spiders size of a house, summoning forces of nature to destroy there foes.

Oh I know, it's just that you could get same looking race and just say there are gnoll/kobold hybrids or something.

>My campaign has kobolds as one of dominant races (together with lizardfolk and gnolls)
I have something like this going on in a setting of mine, but it's future stuff so it's just three(four? Two varieties of kobold) races on one planet banding together.

Kobolds were the slaves and pets of the dragons and Kobolds revere Dragons as gods, now that the Dragons are gone it's as if the gods have abandoned them

This is why they are great for warlocks and cultists of both good and bad things (And everything in between)

You could have a magical nuclear fallout. Some clever mage figures out how to fuse elements, knowledge spreads, fighting breaks out without thoughts of fallout, prolonged nuclear winter leaves Kobolds to thrive, like the late Cretaceous extinction.

Kobold tribe of boar tusks

Group of really aggressive surface kobolds that originated from some kobolds now dead orc warband kept as pets

Now they are all barbarians that ride on armored boars and make sure no one enters there small island

Dogbolds best kobolds

Different kinds as in different lizards?
-Water-walking basilisk kobolds.
Build floating villages out of reeds and sticks. Although water-walking has benefits, they need to watch out for large fish.
-Chameleon kobolds.
Live deep in the jungles and accentuate natural camouflage with magic. They very carefully tie poisoned darts to the tips of their lighting-quick tongues.
-Gecko kobolds.
Able to walk on walls and climb effortlessly, their three dimensional tunnels are impossible for most "dust suckers"(As the kobolds call humanoids) to navigate. They are very proud of their climbing ability, and pelt invaders with unpredictable arrows.
-Komodo Kobolds.
Almost as large as a lizardman, komodobolds are hungry, lethargic creatures. However, they prove dangerously strong when properly motivated. They farm livestock in the sunlit portions of their caves.
-Drakobolds.
Smaller than other kobold types, drakobolds can glide through the air on skin stretched between modified ribs. In the old days, they followed dragons in on their raids, gliding on the air currents left in the reptile's wake. Even today drakobolds prefer to live together in large clifftop villages and travel in large groups.
-Gila Monster Kobolds.
They congregate in shallow caves to avoid the withering heat of the desert. They poison their darts with their own venomous saliva.
-Legless Kobolds.
Don't you mean snake kobolds? No en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legless_lizard
Although they lack legs, kobolds can still manipulate objects with their short arms. They take advantage of their smooth, legless form by lying in ambush under sand, loose soil, and mud. They coordinate their ambushes with ultrasonic rumbles.

I meant radically different as in dogs, rats, lizards, etc, but that's one sweet list. I might have to rethink things.

thats a cool idea op dont mind me if i steal it muhhaaaa

Please do! If you want a bit more detail, I'd imagined the races of man losing in battle but conspiring on a spell to cast out dragons from the world, that even with their own arcane might would be powerless to resist. The were unable to resist, but they did enact a last minute vengeance and turn the spell against them as well. Who knows where they all ended up?

Kobolds, formerly living in the margins or living under the yoke of dragons, scramble out into a world for the taking full of ruins and danger.

Alright so with kobolds as the only available race, player stats are going to need an overhaul. With no one else playable to compare them too, there's no reason to stick to the same ability score conventions. Or any others, really.

Lizardbolds - Dexterous and intelligent. They are familiar with the basics of magic from serving dragons The favored servants of the formerly mighty dragons, they used learned basic magical power to serve them better. With the dragons natural skills this was never considered a threat to them. Also perhaps having sub-subraces along the lines suggests.

Ratbolds - Dexterity and constitution. Ratbolds almost exclusively lived wild in the forests and swamps, and are generally proficient in hunting and gathering. They are however surprisingly social, if less trusting of strangers.

Dogbolds - Strength and charisma. The only type of kobolds to normally interact and even live with the races of man, they've adapted to working hard and getting along with others. Toward the end of the way they were conscripted to guard duty occasionally, if only because of a shortage of proficient humanoids at home.

Pangobolds - Constitution and wisdom. A stout and reclusive people, they tended towards rougher terrain such as mountains and savannas and stayed out of most major conflicts, if they could help it. While known to hunt when the opportunity arises, they also are notable for practicing a basic sort of farming in their difficult landscapes. Those lessons serve them and others well when they eventually join with other kobolds in other lands.

I should probably make proper names for these folk, but nothing comes to mind yet. Wanted lizardbolds to support sorcery and pact magic, but didn't want the implication of them being personable. Warlocks should be Int anyway. Also I might just ban sorcerers outright as the setting doesn't need them.

bump

their

Most of these can be covered with a single subrace feature. Not sure about scaling up water walking, though.

I would go for archetypes, and ditch the usual race/class options.

Regions generate or forbid archetypes, let's say that there is a faction that their main income are from Piracy, they have Sailors,Sea Mages, and stuff like that.Other tribe can be more of a martial like tradition, so they have Gladiators,Hunters,and Healers.

Also needed some religions/phylosophies to define factions and regions.

Sounds neat, but I may as well pick up an entirely different system at that point. Not that I'm opposed to it, but it's a somewhat unreasonable amount of hassle as is.

So... question: in recent D&D lore, dragonbolds tend to literally worship dragons. Like, there's 4e lore saying that they actually love dragons so much that being eaten by them is seen as an acceptable risk.

How out there would it be to have a traumatized dragonbold who, after seeing her tribe devoured, went mad and decided to become a dragon-killing adventurer in order to prove to her people that they shouldn't worship dragons? With a deep, dark secret in the form of a perverse longing to one day exact ironic revenge by eating a dragon?

Don't really have much to contribute (save maybe certain groups of kobolds trying to emulate either dragons or more human-like species) but I fucking love it!