Whenever I play vidiya I often make female characters coz I like creating an actual character and don't like...

>whenever I play vidiya I often make female characters coz I like creating an actual character and don't like self-inserting
>start getting into table top rpg s- games that are all about creating interesting and thought out characters
>playing as the other gender when you are a dude is considered degenerate or homosexual
>literally 50% of all possible character options just locked away from me forever
I just want to make a cool dwarf lady, is that so bad

Other urls found in this thread:

bato.to/reader#6e2ebae78b96b957
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Magicalrealmfags ruined it for everyone, sorry.

If the people you're playing with think that female characters are 'degenerate or homosexual' I have to wonder how the GM manages NPCs.

Well, matching sex isn't self-insert. Some groups are OK with crossex play, some aren't.

Also, you are not going to watch your character's butt for hours, so prime reason to create female character is lost in TTRPGs.

I haven't tried it yet, but I know that guys never do it and after searching online I figured that it's a whole big thing in the community.
I guess for a lot of people making a character is about wish fulfillment to different degree so when they see a dude playing a female they automatically assume magical_realm.
Should I just go for it? Does anyone have positive or negative experiences with this?

>I haven't tried it yet, but I know that guys never do it
?

>dwarf ladies
>no beards

What kind of faggotry is this?!

I think it would be awkward to do in person or in a voice game online, though it's perfectly fine in text games since it's more like writing a character instead of trying to "become" it. I can't take someone seriously if they're talking in their deep man voice but are supposed to be playing a woman, but I'm not bothered at all when they're just writing the character out.

>Tumblr-tier art

Degenerate newfag.

>> Tumblr-tier art

>not recognising Dungeon Meshi

I bet you browse /co/ and /v/

>playing as the other gender when you are a dude is considered degenerate or homosexual
Find a group of grownups.

I don't get the issue. Do accents also bother you? Like, I live in Texas, so most everyone in my group has at least a bit of a drawl; I can't afford to give a shit if Casati the elf drops the occasional "y'all" or "fixin" or speaks in a drawl despite being in not!Dark Ages Germany and elves being very very Pictish.

If anything, fake falsetto voice would get on my nerves 1,000 times faster, even if it wasn't half bad.

Whenever I play table top roleplay, I like to create characters that are as unlike me as possible. I use the games as a form of escapism, so making someone I am not, or never could be, helps me get away and get into character. Because of how I play, about 70% of my characters are female. My group is completely cool with this, and some actually are surprised/disappointed when I play a male character.

My advice, play what you want because you should be free to enjoy any game you play to the fullest, other player's opinions be damned.

>>playing as the other gender when you are a dude is considered degenerate or homosexual
That really depends on the people you're playing with, and a good group wouldn't consider that the case. If you feel unable to play a female character as a dude because of ridicule, you should find a new group.

I've had a male player play both male and female characters. He did a much better job with the male character, who had a lot more personality and gravitas in the party, but that was also the second character he played after cutting his teeth on a female character and there was nothing weird about said female character. Just an Elf Rogue loner type. I suspect that since most people find it easier to play characters that match their gender they assume that's the case for everyone.

> Tumblr-tier art
Low-quality bait.

Why did she think that drawing her in the night gown was overdoing it?

I don't know. She seems to put a lot of thought into her character designs.

No one I've gamed with would think twice about it, unless you started getting weird about it.

>No way my Niisan can look this respectable

>tumbler-tier art

No they didn't, innocent until proven guilty. Keep to your values.

This.

Play with groups who don't care about this. I've literally never played with anyone who actually care about it, so it's probably a vocal minority of morons you need to learn to avoid.

I wanted to make a female character for one game, but I was worried about how my friends (and co-workers at the time) would perceive it, so I just avoided the issue altogether and made the character male. I don't think I would have been able to do any meaningful role-playing that made my character's gender significant one way or another with that group anyway.

Every fucking time Senshi is drawn without his helmet I double take at how handsome he is.

While there's at least a 60% chance that this is bait, I'm gonna go out on a limb here and offer some advice under the assumption that it's not, and you're just new.

You see, user: Veeky Forums is considered one of the better boards for a number of reasons, one of which is the fact that it tries to avoid ruining threads with pointless arguments caused by elitism, obvious bait, strong opinions or cases of 'stop liking what I don't like'.

The fact that you don't recognize Dungeon Meshi would suggest you were fairly new to the board considering how popular it is here. Before you criticize someone for posting something, make sure you know what it is. And even then, there's really nothing wrong with art found on tumblr as long as it's of good quality. Cold-noses and everyone being fat and brown for no reason is where I personally draw the line.

Bad spelling is only really an issue if it makes the post unreadable, or undermines the argument of someone who is either trying to look intelligent or criticizing someone's language skills. Not everyone here speaks English natively, some people post from phones, some people don't give a shit and some people aren't that good with words.

Criticizing people for discussing vidya is only really appropriate when it comes without anything related to Veeky Forums topics, and there is a lot of overlap. A discussion about how accurate the Dawn of War games are to the source material, or how video games handle traditional D&D style systems, or - in this case - a reference to character creation in other media, is perfectly appropriate. Complaining about "/v/ermin" as a kneejerk reaction just makes you look like a dick.

I'm not sure what you mean by "degenerate" but be wary of throwing the phrase around carelessly. Many people here have weird, niche interests (mostly sexual) that could be considered degenerate, but the term has /pol/ connotations which can cause completely unnecessary, off-topic arguments in of itself.

I hope this helps.

They say there are 3 Levels to any interest:

>Clueless
>Poser
>Master

What he was, twas a poser.

I know these are dungeon meshi, but what are these drawings from exactly? Some concept art the artist made? Where can I get more of it?

Daydream hour 2, a collection of scetches and concept art by the author. it's on the batoto page for dungeon meshi. bato.to/reader#6e2ebae78b96b957

I think it's from a art book she put out.

I don't know what it is, but this topic seems to randomly trigger people on a core level. I was DMing for my brother and his friends, three of them were women. Everyone's characters were the same gender as their player, and that's pretty normal in my experience. What was weird was one night when an NPC working in an inn happened to be female.

As DM, I controlled the NPC and my brother's character asked her questions so I responded with what the NPC's answers would be when one of the women players had to interject. She was at first very confused if the "waitress" was female or not and then asked why I was interested in playing a female character. It seemed upsetting and kind of put this weird mood on the campaign for the 4, maybe 5 more sessions we bothered with. I never questioned this player's desire to play a centaur druid, nor did I question the other player who wanted to be a Shardmind "B-because you're not really made of crystals!!!"

I still don't know what was going on in her head but I get the vibe that she thought I was a closeted transexual because more than once she wanted to confirm that I was still attending church.

Bottom line is: You should be able to do whatever the fuck you want in a fantasy rpg game like this, but it helps to have friends that you're comfortable around and who know you so they never assume weird things that become distracting issues.

PS: Dwarf ladies are fun.

>she thought I was a closeted transexual

>Not wanting to be the little girl.

Veeky Forums has changed.

Stop caring what people think. Find people who want to play with you.

Weird, especially if you GM. Of course there will be female NPCs.

That shit pisses me off. DMs HAVE to play as female characters because female characters inevitably exist in the world, and the DM will have to play someone that is not their gender at more than one point.
I would absolutely question the player's desire to play a centaur and imply that it was a zoophilia thing for them. "You want to play as a what? A half-horse? You like thinking about horses fucking humans or something?"

As long as you didn't go overly girly.

Did someone seriously claim that Dungeon Meshi art is "Tumblr-tier"? Fucking hell, that's a nice bait, I gotta try that sometime.

No matter what you think of Dungeon Meshi, it's still hard to say that the art doesn't look like something straight off Tumblr, what with the fat representation and the Tumblr noses.
It's weird saying this as a huge weeaboo, but not everything is better because it's Japanese, and there are Japanese Tumblroids/SJWs too, mainly raised on a steady diet of Korean-sponsored media that overrepresents people who claim to be "oppressed" by Japanese society.
To be completely honest too, I've been on Veeky Forums for ten years and Veeky Forums for four, and I don't really like Dungeon Meshi a whole lot. It's one of those works where the parts themselves are good enough, but it still ends up somehow feeling masturbatory and content-less to me. It might be the creator's disproportionate love for her characters, it might be the strange internal logic of the setting or it might be that it tries to be a TVTropes-type "deconstruction" but instead ends up just being nitpickily smug about making a setting full of clichés and then picking on the clichés.
Show a Tumblr user and a Japanese person who's familiar with Tumblr the character designs from , and both will probably say they're made by a Western artist from Tumblr.

Honestly, I'm a bit of a forever GM, but when I am a player I alternate pretty frequently between male and female characters. Nobody ever questioned me about it, only once when a player was wondering if my character was supposed to be a trap, which she wasn't.

>To be completely honest too, I've been on Veeky Forums for ten years and Veeky Forums for four, and I don't really like Dungeon Meshi a whole lot. It's one of those works where the parts themselves are good enough, but it still ends up somehow feeling masturbatory and content-less to me. It might be the creator's disproportionate love for her characters, it might be the strange internal logic of the setting or it might be that it tries to be a TVTropes-type "deconstruction" but instead ends up just being nitpickily smug about making a setting full of clichés and then picking on the clichés.
I IRL and audibly said "holy shit son" because holy shit, son.

The art is clean, uncomplex and yet distinctive. I cannot describe "the creator's disproportionate love for her characters" as anything other than a meme comment. The "strange internal logic of the setting" and your whole, bizarre TV Tropes smugness argument are a product of someone faithfully interpreting Wizardry into a fantasy dungeon ecology in exactly the kind of way Gygax thought about dungeon ecology.

Dear Christ you have a fucked-up point of view. It's fine to not like something but your reasons for not liking it are terrible and speak more about yourself, internally, than any kind of criticism.

Once you've had a few bad experiences with perverts, it becomes difficult to trust newbies. My group has an informal "no playing the other gender until we get to know each other" policy that has served us well when handling new players. The same idea goes for anthropomorphic races in fantasy games. Unfortunately, a little paranoia is often necessary to making sure everybody ultimately has fun.

>It might be the creator's disproportionate love for her characters, it might be the strange internal logic of the setting or it might be that it tries to be a TVTropes-type "deconstruction" but instead ends up just being nitpickily smug about making a setting full of clichés and then picking on the clichés.

i really never got the impression from dungeon meshi that it's trying to "deconstruct" anything. it feels like a sincere take on dungeon fantasy with a creative twist.

i don't know what "disproportionate love for her characters" is supposed to mean. they're fun characters.

And I in return think you're autismally uncomprehending of other people's subjective opinions.
First off, if you think that a creator can't love their characters too much, you haven't ever written anything or tried to analyze any piece of media. You can easily get to the point where the author tells people stuff about the characters they're not really interested in, grinds specific character elements in people's faces and starts superseding narrative logic in favor of personal preference.
The art is okay. I say that as someone who - this is exactly as embarrassing to me as you think it is - has done more or less nothing but constantly consume Japanese media for years, of all stripes and all genres. It's good by Western standards, but has occasional liquid facial features, blobby lines and strange open spaces that make it seem sloppy at times rather than clean.
I normally fucking love little, nitpicky deconstructions. Dungeon Meshi, for some reason, just doesn't feel right to me - it seems like the author is disproportionally caught up on her characters and her concept, and the series ends up seeming stale, masturbatory and overly self-aware to me.
The fundamental elements of the setting are interesting.
The characters - to me - come off as shallow, dense, two-dimensional, occasionally irrational and acting off the author's perception of the universe instead of being shown from a reader perspective (no matter how fuzzy a claim that is - I still feel it pretty distinctly).
I have no idea why Veeky Forums didn't choose to bite onto Quick Play instead. It has more relevance to the hobby, a more natural presentation, doesn't overstretch itself and in general is a lot more honest a work in my eyes.
In closing, the reason I don't like Dungeon Meshi is because the author's way of writing characters and settings reminds me too much of Deviantart furries. It exists in a strange, self-satisfied void, and seems like it's written mostly for the author herself.

You know I've spent about as long on Veeky Forums as you have, and I've certainly been interested in different types of Japanese media for years as well (although not exclusively, and I bet our tastes don't overlap) but I am really glad I don't look at things the way you do.

>Mfw always play whatever the fuck i want, used to play vampire female kid three years ago, then some guys then a tomboy, now a fucking kitsune wizard
Feels fucking good having a good group and great fucking GM

But I feel sorry for you for being locked out of something you like, especially as I fucking love my current PC.
I was in a group like that and those motherfucking hypocrites let the girl play a guy without calling names, fuck that.

I knew a dude who would only ever play girls and he played them really well, a lot of depth and they were always different.

Knew another dude who always played Loli's, it was weird and kind of uncomfortable but he was a good guy and a fun roleplayer so I didn't say anything

All down to the group you score I guess.

>I have no idea why Veeky Forums didn't choose to bite onto Quick Play instead.
While I disagree wholesale with your assessment of dungeon meshi, Veeky Forums loved Quick Start!! (which I assume you're talking about, as
I've never even heard of quick play. kinda telling if you don't even remember the title of your preferred Veeky Forums manga) the initial translator kinda disappeared without a trace and even when it got picked back up again, it was only ever dumped in imgr which is a garbage platform for it.

Reception will obviously vary from group to group. However, in my experience it's primarily about how you present yourself. For some hyperbolic examples with your dwarf lady: if you describer her as a shortstack with tig-ol-bitties wearing a chainmail bikini, then you'll probably weird out most players, but if you say she's a dwarf fighter with ties to the town guard in such-and-suchville, then you should be fine.

Be reasonable. Listen to the other people at the table. Unless you know the other players, don't sexualize your character, male or female.

You know, I came late to the thread and didn't even see the post before it got deleted, but I like your response. You seem nice.

Ryoko is not an SJW unless you count "being aware that racism, as a concept, exists" as being an SJW.
Dungeon Meshi isn't really a "deconstruction," TVTropes-style or otherwise, nor is it smug or nitpicky.
>Show a Tumblr user and a Japanese person who's familiar with Tumblr the character designs from , and both will probably say they're made by a Western artist from Tumblr.
I don't believe you, and you've offered no evidence of why we ought to, aside from "I see a lot of art, loads of art, so much art, just trust me I'm the best at seeing art."

A ton of my PCs tend to be females or wacky non-standard races that either aren't interested in magical realm or outright can't fuck for any reason (lizardmen, insectmen, skeletons, sharks, uplifted mantis shrimp, rogue AI, uplifted mantis shrimp force-evolved into monsters by rogue AI, et cetera) and desu it's just as annoying. I know it's snowflake as fuck, but at some point, I just don't want to be the generic bloodthirsty barbarian or scheming coward merchant.

>tfw wildest thing i played was a 100 year old undead kitsune princess blackguard in a 5e campaign
>was probably one of my best characters
Nobody cared that it was "snowflake-y" or anything. Only complaint I ever got about it was the cleric complaining that Cure Wounds didn't work on me.

Too bad the campaign just kind of died after about 5-6 sessions.

Actually, as with many things, the problem lied in normies who had just gotten into the hobby labeling everything that wasn't super serious or "meaningful" as "cringe."

Sad, but fair. I know two players whom I could trust with tonnes of weirder stuff. These guys could sail on rafts made of red flags and make it work. "Female drow dual wielding scimitars? Sure man." "Creepy enchanter with no sense of right or wrong. Well, okay." "You summon 'pokemon' to fight for you?... Well fuck it, you haven't let me down yet." Now that I think of it, it'd be fun as hell to get them in the same group.

On the other hand, I've played with a lot of people that I wouldn't trust with anything but a human fighter with a dull sword. So I can see how a trial run with more vanilla characters would be a safer way to play.

Most fantasy don't give Dwarf females beards, however they often give them long hair, with similar "rules" as males with their beards (never cut, well maintained, the longer the more desirable etc)

I gave my female dwarf thick but well maintained side burns. It felt fitting and tasteful

Implying I don't want to fuck lizardmen, insectmen, skeletons, sharks, rogue AI, or... You know, I'll admit that I have yet to find, specifically, mantis shrimp porn. I've seen some very nicely done lobstergirl stuff though. Good Lord, what has Veeky Forums done to me?

>fat representation
I suppose it is because it has fat people in it. I guess everything with fat characters is fat representation. But if the bar is that fucking low why would it matter?
>but not everything is better because it's Japanese
who the fuck said that?
>both will probably say they're made by a Western artist from Tumblr
That's totally possible but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Dungeon Meshi's art is a little cutesy but it looks good and unlike many japanese comics (and more than a few western ones) the characters look distinct which is refreshing. Part of that comes from characters having different noses, head shapes and body types. If solid character design happens to overlap with tumblr art I don't think that's a problem.
>All that other crap you posted
I get where you're coming from, sort of, and it's nice to see a clearly laid out criticism
But that doesn't mean your post isn't autistic as hell. It sounds like you're projecting a lot of shit onto this comic that isn't there. I think this place has seeped into your mind.

Most groups dont actually care, user. Ask your group ahead of time during character creation if its considered weird at that table. If by some staggering circumstance it is, play a guy.

I don't think she's even supposed to be fat
she's a warrior so it might be a strongfat type thing. She IS a dwarf, after all.

He roleplays as buxom women practically in heat and the players are into it but no homo because that's just his job.

Do you play exclusively with inbred rednecks?

Most people are none of those things toward there interest, except Veeky Forums where there are more posers per square foot than a mannequin shop.

As a GM, I really don't take issue with it. My players just don't do it because we do voice chat, and they don't want to try to talk in a female voice. That said, I would say there are very few characters ideas that could only be created with a specific sex, so I don't really see that as an issue.

What disappoints me is all the INCREDIBLE female character art that will go unused.

Link isn't working for me, anywhere else I can see it?

>but has occasional liquid facial features
Those aren't liquid, they're made of flesh. Flesh is pretty soft and malleable.

>fat representation

The hell are you talking about? The dwarves? They're literally big boned.

>TV-tropes type deconstruction

I get the opposite impression. One of the things that's charming about it is that it plays old tropes straight and shows they've still got juice in them if you present them well (which seems appropriate given the theme). Even things like using a fire trap as a wok fire is more of a return to form in oldschool dungeon crawling style than a deconstruction. Gygax would've loved this comic.

>strange internal logic

Don't know what you mean. It's a bit contrived that all of their encounters tie back into cooking, but suspending disbelief for coherency's sake is not a tall order. If you're talking about the strange but well explored dungeon ecology, we're on two different wavelengths regarding taste.

>love for her characters

It's clear she likes her characters, but this is only a problem if the characters aren't actually likable or the author's attachments get in the way of telling the right story, neither of which is true so far. Being a fan of your own creation is a good thing. It keeps you writing a story the fans want.

You need to fucking kill yourself or fuck off back to R edd it.

Actually, just fucking kill yourself.

>It's a bit contrived that all of their encounters tie back into cooking,
It isn't even that contrived at all if you consider the fact that the whole reason they're eating monsters in the first place is because they have no supplies.

Sounds like pure cancer

I'm personally glad your fun ended

Oh, it didn't.
Initially we alternated between it and our 4e campaign every week, but since our 5e campaign died, we ended up making our 4e campaign full-time. Which, quite frankly, ended up being our group's best campaign.

Oh, fuck off.

In my experience normies are the opposite, anything that is not-serious, jokey, or """self-aware""" is acceptable and anything intended to be any deeper than that is "too nerdy".

Playing a ranger named Indiana Jones and never speaking in character? No problem; Coming with even a simple backstory? Nobody wants to hear about it.

Ladydwarf sideburns are the only correct way

>tumblr nose

>mainly raised on a steady diet of Korean-sponsored media that overrepresents people who claim to be "oppressed" by Japanese society.

Are Koreans the Jews of Japanese society?

you're a cool cat

I'd just like to point out that for at least one of those pictures the subject is literally ill

God damn it. I can't unsee.

Japanese hates Korean and vice versa, but it seems they can't help sucking each other's cock.

>there's really nothing wrong with art found on tumblr as long as it's of good quality
Stop reading right there, the simple fact that tumblr has a very low limit in what you can upload mean that the art there is always going to be worst

If the assessment that this comic looks like tumblr art is valid, then the assessment tumblr art is necessarily unacceptable isn't, and if it's valid that tumblr art is unacceptable, this comic doesn't look like tumblr art.

>Dwarf character is drawn short and stout, like all dwarf characters are drawn.
>RREEEEEEEEEE! SJW! SJW!

Are you fucking retarded or something?

>kitsune wizard
>kitsune
good taste

Nobody in my group would give a shit, as long as it doesn't devolve into magical realm.
We had this guy though who would always play female characters exclusively (and no, never magical realm stuff. Normal character, just all females). Some people in the group started wondering why that is.
Long story short, that person was actually closeted transgender.
So... from my experience, it isn't bad if you play female characters, but people might think you are weird if all your characters are female.
I personally don't give a shit, and I think in most rpgs the gender doesn't matter unless you make it matter character wise, but others might think differently.

>I like creating an actual character and don't like self-inserting
>character being the same gender as you is a self-insert

You are part of the problem.
Its not everyone else, its you.
It is cringe because you make it cringe.

in that they're who /por/ try to go "I may be a high school dropout, but at least my grandparents lorded it over your grandparents!", yeah.

I literally cannot believe you people fell for bait this fucking dumb.

Veeky Forums is one of the easiest boards to troll. You just have to say something slightly dumb and some anons starting popping veins of anger.

well, hell, there's absolutely no bar to what you can upload to Veeky Forums other than cp when mods are awake. does that mean all art posted to 4cham is inferior to all art posted to tumblr?

If your group thinks playing women is in any way weird they're fucking retarded. Dont be a pussy and just explain your position

I play 50/50 men women

More like "ive been on r9k for 10 years now"

I'd make a female character any way, granted I am a degenerate but I don't give a flying fuck either way.

This.
I play shadowrun mostly, and the 6th world is a shit shot place to live.
Along with that, basically every shadowrunner starts out as a criminal and is implied to have had no other choice but to run the shadows.
Not a good place of wish fulfillment mary-sue bitches in my opinion... people do it anyways though...
I like to see what kinda crazy shit I can make and reasons for that person to be like this, which results in people very unlike me (just how I like it).
This usually ends in pretty emotionally scared and fucked up people who I would never want to be, but rather want to see succeed and overcome the struggles of this shitshow they found themselfs in.
It just so happens that at least 70% of the time, the gender doesn't matter.
If that child that got their arm ripped off by a bomb in a war and got their life saved, just so they could be used for an illegal weaponsproject afterwards, was a boy or girl doesn't really matter, does it?
Since I play the role of these characters though, and I am a woman, they end up being female more often than not.
I have played male characters though, and mostly, its fine.
People are grown up and understand that we are just playing characters.
I have also seen dudes play female characters and it was fine, except for that one guy who basically had his female sorceress offer herself to bandits so that the group would have to pay or fight.
Needless to say, the gm cockblocked him, we fought, and that guy got talked to by the gm.
I had this one time though, where we had a new guy (who basically dropped out soon after anyways) who told me that he couldn't take my character seriously because I was a woman and my character was male. I was "not playing manly enough".
So bottom line: If people are grown-ups and Not assholes, it should be fine...
Just... don't offer bandits to rape you, okay? It weirds out everyone

Depends on how you play a woman. If you go making a girlish voice everyone I go would give you a weird look.

Do you think I gave a fuck here ?
Just fucking do it and if they think bad of you, don't give a fuck again.

He's saying he doesn't self-insert so playing a female doesn't mean he's a sissy, not that he has to play the opposite gender to avoid self-inserting. What kind of back asswards interpretation are you doing?

facebook tsukai, those need to force their le epic cringe meme everywhere