Playing RPG with your partner, is it allways a bad idea?

A friend of mine with lots of expirience told me that most of the times couples cause problems at the table, and that runing for your partner turns out to be you making sure their PC is strong as fuck because they keep pestering you to do it and bribing you with all sort of means. What is your expirience guys? I really want to run a small campaign for my parter, because the partner is interested in RPG games and has played them alot.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=gdChJwDKFmI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

My gaming group of 6 people contains 2 couples, we have been playing for years and never encountered this issue. Honestly no one who enjoys playing rpgs would want to pull this kind of bullshit in the first place, what's the point of a game where one player just gets free shit, from a player or GM perspective?

Also I apolagise for the following autism but:
>RPG games
what does the G stand for user?

Games.
I'm a moron I know.

I've seen people bring partners over and its been fine. I'm sure its bad sometimes. Just don't go into it with a negative attitude.

No, but it's probably better if you're both on the same side of the table, either players or as co-GMs.

I've GM'd for my partner. My partner has GM'd for me. It wasn't a problem because we aren't dumbasses.

If you can't share one of your biggest hobbies with your partner, something is probably wrong with your relationship.

>is it allways a bad idea?
youtube.com/watch?v=gdChJwDKFmI

I've been playing with my gf for as long as we've known each other (we were friends for a long time before dating and met at a RPG association) and since we started going out together we've played in numerous games mastered by the other and have double-DM'd a few campaigns for our friends
It always goes well, because we treat each other like any other player in terms of balance if one of us is a PC, and our players love our Double-DM'ing (to the point we're kinda stuck as a pair of forever-DMs)
We sometimes plant DMPCs inside a party but only if it adds to the plot, and we don't use those for power trips

I've seen the kind of problems you talk about though, OP
And the problem is definitely not with people dating at the game table
The problem stems from people who are being petty play-to-win faggots or have an agenda beyond having fun (toxic relationships where people are trying to establish dominance through games)

This guy gets it

>runing for your partner turns out to be you making sure their PC is strong as fuck because they keep pestering you to do it and bribing you with all sort of means.

if your marriage or relationship is so clingy you can't enjoy a game without needing to do this you have serious problems and need to have a serious chat with your partner

thankfully most couples older than high school crushes don't do this shit

i've gamed with a few families and they've generally been super competitive rather than demanding to be let win

>The problem stems from people who are being petty play-to-win faggots or have an agenda beyond having fun.

Pretty much this. People can be arseholes in games; some of these arseholes happen to be playing in a game where their partner is at the table.

I can understand why people might be a bit apprehensive about it at times though. Ideally every player should be equal underneath the benevolent gaze of the GM, and I've seen some relationships where the people involved can't temporarily set aside their "we're a couple!" relationship dynamic during the game.

To be fair, we do award each other bonus XP for sleeping with the GM, as long as the game doesn't use XP

Definitely can be made to work, and it isn't even hard if your relationship is healthy. I've played in the same campaign with my fiance for some two years now, and ran a game where she was a player. Everything went just fine.
The key is not to fall for the usual mistake, playing favorites with your significant other. And keep the lovey-doveys to your private time. If your relationship can't handle something like that, it isn't a healthy relationship.

>when she flirts with every black npc
feels bad bro

That is actually a reason to worry about.

Is this from a Terry Moore artbook?
Have you read Strangers in Paradise?

Honestly, my advice is not to play with women at all. They are poor roleplayers in that they are entirely self-absorbed and as a result any character they play will be invariably a self-insert. They generally project their minor female problems onto their lame-ass characters, assuming they roleplay them at all. And in fact, most females do not roleplay, or barely do. That's because a full 75% of female gamers are there at the bequest of their boyfriends or brothers, and as a result have no real stake in the game. Women are worse at math, they only excel in the younger years because of their faster maturation, but in adulthood they are inferior at logic and mathematics, meaning they have difficulty even comprehending rules let alone the design and meta-analysis that goes along with them. They will not put in any effort to learn the rules and most are quickly bored on a hobby that their vaginas cannot give them an edge at. The only reason to invite a girl to an RPG game is if you have intention to fuck her. Otherwise, they really add nothing at all to the game.

why must a couple share their hobbies?

Weak bait, try harder.
But to be fair, in my experience most females can't play for shit. Howerer, those were new to roleplaying or were in the table just to be with their bf.

It's best to be friends with your lover
True love/romance can't come solely from physical attraction
If the only thing you share is a bed, you're going to get bored pretty quick

Never had a couple in my entire life I'm 100% autistic in this topic.

To be honest that's mostly a matter of education
Sadly, society doesn't teach women to be creative or inventive, so it depends largely on personal curiosity and family education to bring up a kid to be creative

Truth is, most people are shit and can't roleplay for shit
Those who really can are exceptional (in the strictest sense of the term)

>1 playing with
Only problem is if your character falls in love with somebody else, or his does. Can be awkward. Also the other players usually don't want to see you guys being cute together, so don't make lovers etc.

>running for them
It's not a problem unless they're whiney, or you're weak willed. Don't treat them differently than anybody else.

Don't beat yourself up, most people who are in relationships don't realize that either
Why do you think there are so many unhappy couples and marriages ?

But it's also healthy to have separate hobbies so that you can have some of your own time to yourself.

Oh sure
Being stuck to one another 24/7 without breathing room is about as bad, but even a single common hobby helps cement a couple

my current group is 3 couples. haven't had any problems that I can see.

The dm is female and her female friends brought their bfs in, so it's not just a gf inserting themselves scenario.

Ha, jokes on you, I don't have a partner
please kill me

I am not saying none either. I just don't see why it has to be the main hobbie, like a guy can be huge into table top, but he and his wife have a shared hobby in hicking for example

As told me.

Never said it had to be ? RPGs are a fantastic way to bond though, as well as a way to weed out retards

>none of women's flaws are women's fault, it's all the patriarchy
Go back to watching Critical Roll.

That goes for men too
You should quit /pol/ and read a book, nigger

>Sadly, society doesn't teach women to be creative or inventive
Of course, it's always patriarch- uhh, I mean society's fault. "Society" doesn't owe you anything, you dumb nigger, nor is it supposed to re-write your biological making. Women aren't funny or creative because they've never had to, cause they have vaginas. It's as simple as that.

>Only problem is if your character falls in love with somebody else, or his does. Can be awkward.
This. Can't have any in-character romances except with the characters of the couple.

No, it really doesn't.
>You should quit /pol/ and read a book, nigger
I don't browse /pol/ and I'm pretty sure I read more books than you. Given you called me a "nigger" I doubt you're over the age of 20. Stop using dumb ad hominems to cover up for your blatant female apologism.

In my experience it's only when the couple is unhealthy outside of the table that it gets in the way of the game.

It happened oh yeah. I played with a DM couple and it was really terrible because there was so much inferiority complex and megalomania playing out that it was sickening.
But most of the time if both members of the couple want to be there and want to have fun it goes down alright. It's not because assholes are in a relationship that you should assume it comes from the relationship.

One of my best GMs had her girlfriend as a player, there was no favoritism going on or any bullshit in game sex or nuffin and it was a pretty fun game all around.

Ultimately it's not automatically bad, it just facilitates the possibility of commonly bad things, but as long as you can trust the person to not fuck it up you should be fine honestly.

That's adorable in a dorkish way.