Tell me this, Captain. If the Federation is so great, then why are there no great Star Trek RPGs?

Tell me this, Captain. If the Federation is so great, then why are there no great Star Trek RPGs?

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/54298515/#q54304723
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Because everybody wants to be the captain in trek. Whereas in say, Star Wars there are differing archetypes that people tend to want. Do you want to be the farmboy ace pilot ? The charismatic smuggler? The sassy princess? The doesn't-speak-basic combat monster? With Star Trek somebody has to play the captain, and players generally don't like to play subordinate roles to other players. If you NPC the captain it feel more like a DMPC and railroading as the GM now has the final say in everything.

Ay Yo
>Deactivates holodeck safety protocols
You tellin' me
>Transports the warp core onto the enemy bridge during negotiations
We wuz
>Replicates a larger replicator
Finna
>Argues with the GM in technobabble
Spacemen and shieeet?

But is that really so different from playing the party "face" in another setting?
As long as the space combat rules are robust, being the pilot or gunnery officer sounds good to me.

Star Trek is a show built around having multiple characters with multiple skillsets telling multiple stories with multiple scopes in multiple locations. That is not a style that thrives in a TTRPG environment.

Just possible this isn't bait...
I suggest you look at the archive, where you will find Star Trek general threads, which include the RPG.

Because I fucked your daughter.

Wasn't one literally just released, like, three weeks ago or so?

GURPS Prime Directive is great.

Not even that I think. It is pretty solid but quite limited at the moment since it only has a few races and "classes" or whatever.

The chain of command is one of the many Starfleet principles that players are usually too dumb to get right. Star Trek is about doing what IS right instead of just what FEELS right like in Star Wars.

That said, I'd maybe let my players play Star Trek if they were Maquis or Orions or something like that. You know, murderhobos in space with no principles to uphold.

>doing what IS right
Alright Aristotle, please enlighten us into what is objectively right in the Alpha Quadrant?

You haven't watched a lot of Star Trek if you really think this; one of the big overarching themes in Deep Space Nine especially was moral relativism and ethical ambiguity

Well, I mean, in 4e they had an entire group that were called "leader classes" so I don't see the problem with having a "captain" role. Also, just because someone is role playing as the Captain doesn't mean your subordinates HAVE to follow the captain's orders. You can play the rebellious and insubordinate crew member or something.

And people disagree with the Captain all the time in Star Trek, so even if you did disagree with the Captain, you could voice your opinions in civil discussion.

That being said, if there were a Star Trek RPG and I were the Captain, I'd be the most irresponsible Captain the Federation had ever seen.

Implying it's possible to give less of a shit than James T Kirk

Leader didn't mean leader, user. It meant the class healed, gave buffs to allies and weakened your enemies.

As for someone playing captain in a Star Trek game I would suggest that role go to the GM and just make the players the away team more or something.

>Captain is a GM position and the players are an away team

This, otherwise you're just sitting around role-playing the personal interactions of a bunch of people who live on the same giant boat.

So Ryuutama in space

Ironically, Ryuutama wouldn't be a bad choice of system if you were trying to replicate the "standard" setting instead of the TV show's monster-of-the-week format.

The way that imagine was cropped caused me to imagine him as a snake person

>But is that really so different from playing the party "face" in another setting?
Yes, it very much is. The face doesn't get to give orders to the rest of the party, for one.

And now I'm imagining Dukat x Sisko vore

>tfw you're the only person in your party who can make even a single decision and everyone else blindly follows everything you say and just sits there wide-eyed looking to you if you try to stay silent for once

Every character I've ever played might as well have been Captain, or hell even Supreme Overlord based on the amount of initiative the other players show

Oh hell no... I can't get the image out of my head!

One character being the Captain isn't a problem if your group isn't retarded. It isn't a problem in Rogue Trader, and it isn't a problem in Star Trek.

While the captain has the nominal authority, the a Star Trek RPG is about everyone contributing and making a group effort towards a common goal. Besides, not everyone wants to be Kirk. Plenty of people want to play as Spock or Bones or whatever.

Also, the new Star Trek Adventures is a pretty good game.

There's a big difference between moral ambiguity and amorality or completely arbitrary moral relativism. People on DS9 are constantly trying to figure out what the objectively right thing to do is. The good ones don't throw their hands up and decide that anything goes.

The Star Wars way to resolve DS9 would be to blow up Cardassia Prime, blow up the Founders' homeworld, but forgive Michael Eddington for all the terrorism because he's an old friend. The people trying to solve the situation in the way that feels good, the Star Wars way, are rightfully treated as the bad guys. The most moral characters are the ones who put morals before their friends and even their own feelings. Consider the episode where Kira lets Maritza go even though she hates his guts and he actually wants her to punish him, because she sees that he's actually a good man, only to see some shithead Bajoran rando assassinate him a few minutes later because it felt good. That's the difference.

This.

>star wars is mindless destruction and muh feels
Look at this retard

How is he wrong though?

Huh? It is that way by design. There are too many examples to count - "Reach out with your feelings!" "Feel, don't think!" "Turn off the computer that will calculate the exact best angle to fire the torpedoes and just wing it, because there is literally a supernatural power that makes your feelings better at math than computers." "Forgive the war criminal because he's your dad and nobody's who's related to you can ever really be bad, because that would feel weird." And let's not forget history's greatest monster, Kyp Durron.

Because of the way the pseudo-zen of the Force works. And Vader was bad, you dumb shit, it's just Luke believed he could change (against the advice of his teachers, no less) and he turned out to be right.

DS9 did a much better job of making a religion created with some distant basis in fact but not magically right all the time. It has an old sage who lies all the time, too. Her name is Kai Winn and the writers are smart enough to realize she's a bad guy.

>only to see some shithead Bajoran rando assassinate him a few minutes later because it felt good
At least for me, that was THE defining moment of DS9 as distinct from TNG. Like, I could see a TNG episode making it a tragedy by having the guy stab him because the news didn't get out fast enough and he thought the guy really was a war criminal; to just make it come sort of out of left field (We'd seen that bajoran before and knew he was a rabid bigot) and stabbing the guy because he's a cardassian and they're all fair game did "darker and edgier" but in a much more thoughtful, actually enjoyable way.

Because Vader died so quickly after changing his mind and never got the chance to stand trial, we'll probably never know the full extent to which Luke believes that people he likes should be absolved of all blame if they say they're sorry. However, even though it's no longer canon, I still think the aforementioned Kyp Durron affair should be taken as evidence. Also the fact that Luke reacts much more strongly to finding out that Vader is his father than to the deaths of millions of people who weren't related to him. And I'm willing to bet that Kylo Ren eventually gets the same free pass for being related to the right people when other non-Skywalkers in the same situation do not.

>this thread is alright by Veeky Forums's standards
>Excuse me, Commisar isn't

I am convinced that there is one guy, or perhaps a small group of guys, who are autistically enraged by that meme.

archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/54298515/#q54304723

Notice how 90% of the posts here are actually talking about the question posed in OP, which is a role-playing game related question.

Compare that to 300 vaguely in-character shitposts about shooting people in the back.

Given how bland season 1 was, ending it with this episode and the school protest hit hard.

I feel like an answer might be everyone wants something a little different out of Star Trek. Politics, team building, laser fights, shipfu, various time periods, different interpretations of the lore and beta lore. Other RPGs are a little more specialized in what they are, but Star Trek can go in so many directions.

Hell no I want to be a science officer

>That said, I'd maybe let my players play Star Trek if they were Maquis or Orions or something like that. You know, murderhobos in space with no principles to uphold.

Fuck off back to >>>r/spoonheads, cardie scum

>Maqui
>No principles

Fuck that. "Humble Tailor" for the win.

Pretty sure there are.
My parents played in a Star Trek RPG when I was a kid.

Some of my earliest memories are of them playing it.

I stand by what I said and Smiley can't tell me otherwise. In addition to all they did in DS9, they also hired Lon Suder, the guy who had nothing to do with the Cardassian border dispute and openly just wanted to kill people.

Gul Dukat did nothing wrong

Where's that /stg/ Bingo card?

Mindjammer does the themes pretty well if you play a 'white hat' game.
You're from the shining city on the hill, eager to bring the light to the suffering plebians below.
And then oh shit turns out maybe things are a bit more complicated than that.

>blow up the Founders' homeworld

Garek almost accomplished this, and it would have been the right thing to do. If Worf hadn't been such an idiot bitch the billions of people who died in the Dominion War would have lived. All at the cost of a single Federation ship and a few officers.

i enjoyed the MMORPG 'Star Trek Online'

Didn't the Federation only win the Dominion War because Section 31 made a bioweapon?

>Implying that all the Founders were on the homeworld
>Implying that the Jem'Hadar wouldn't come boiling out of the wormhole to murderfuck everything in the alpha quadarant if Garak had succeeded
>Implying there wasn't some kind of hidden defense set up.
Your logic is awful.

Without the leadership of the founders the Jem'Hadar would be all but useless. They're tough fighters and decent tacticians but they've got a lot more loyalty than they do brains and even with the Vorta to boss them around (who also suffered from crippling, sycophantic dependence on the Founders) they aren't up to the task of organizing the entire war effort.

Hell, most of the time they were pretty useless even with the Founders around. There's a reason they brought the Cardassians and Breen into the fold, and it wasn't because their famous super soldiers were doing an amazing job.

Short answer, yes. The Federation and its allies were pushing the Dominion back, but it was Odo curing the female changeling that convinced her to lay down arms and surrender.

I like to think that it wasn't just curing her that did it though.

>When he linked with her,he shared the entire story of where the virus came from and where the cure came from.
>She saw that it might have been solids who created the virus, but it was also a solid who cured it
>A solid who was willing to throw away the Federation's single greatest victory over the Founders solely to help his friend, a changeling
>Her entire worldview was built around a pathological fear and hatred of solids, Odo showed her that it was possible for man and blob to coexist peacefully after all

The Jem'Hadar were crack slaves to the Founders. Without ketracel white they would die from withdrawal in a week.

Because blowing up the founder homeworld suddenly means that they immediately have ZERO facilities to produce the white anywhere in the Dominion.

If the Jem'Hadar were capable of taking over a ketracel white production facility they would have done so. It's the only thing keeping them loyal to the founders.

Unless those facilities are on the Founder Homeworld, or the government of the Dominion completely ceases to exist after an attack like that, it doesn't matter. You'll still have Vorta or whatever other client races producing the white and distributing it to the Jem'Hadar. And as long as there's a couple of Founders off the planet at a given time (likely), they'll look up to whatever survivors as their gods and obey them, and you're likely to get a divine command of "Fuck those bastards in the Alpha quadrant so hard that their ancestors cry out in pain".

The Founders are the only government of the dominion and if their homeworld got zapped the Vorta would kill themselves like cultists.

are you retarded? one has several civilizations with conflicting values requiring diplomacy, the other has LIGHT SIDE and DARK SIDE

As a Westmarch game with multiple people agreeing on what their roles are, sure, I think it'd work really well.

As a normal, Thursday Weekly, sometimes Bi-weekly game - it wouldn't work.

>he still believes in light and dark